Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: HH Servo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2014, 10:59 PM   #261
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: HH Servo

There were plenty available on his site last night I almost got 5 of them. I didn't know there were in the testing phase. I have used his motors and they are amazing. So when my stock servo tanked I thought if it says hh one it and waterproof I could not go wrong. Has anyone had good luck with the servos.? I would think hh would let people know if he had given up on the servos. I don't know John Holmes but, he strikes me as a perfectionist / wouldn't throw in the towl type

Last edited by snapon boy; 12-05-2014 at 07:02 AM.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2014, 11:57 PM   #262
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapon boy View Post
There were plenty available on his site last night I almost got 5 of them. I didn't know there were in the testing phase. I have used his motors and they are amazing. So when my stock servo tanked I thought if it says hh one it and waterproof I could not go wrong. Has anyone had good luck with the servos.? I would think hh would let people know if he had given up on the servos. I don't know John Holmes but, he strikes me as a perfectionist / wouldn't throw in the town type
yes he is very dedicated to making them the best servo's possible
we all know he makes good stuff,,all my brushed rigs run HH motors and esc's.
Between me and others I crawl with we have gone thru about 10 of them,with most failures coming in the 1st hour
when they work they work great and run much cooler then Hitec
but at $100 each being at test dummy is getting expensive.
irok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:03 AM   #263
Rock Crawler

I just received one of the latest ones back from warranty. Which btw the service was better than A+. Mine I guess was electrical issue, he didn't say if it was the motor or controller....regardless. I haven't ran it in any wet conditions yet. I love the way these things perform though!!
802coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:40 AM   #264
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by irok View Post
yes he is very dedicated to making them the best servo's possible
we all know he makes good stuff,,all my brushed rigs run HH motors and esc's.
Between me and others I crawl with we have gone thru about 10 of them,with most failures coming in the 1st hour
when they work they work great and run much cooler then Hitec
but at $100 each being at test dummy is getting expensive.
Irok
Where in BC are you?
chevotafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #265
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

The first run failures were due to gears, about 1 in 4 would fail rather quickly on the 2nd gear. The 2nd batch had about 10% gear failure, the third batch was 5%, and the next batch is all steel and will probably push the failure point elsewhere. A 3% failure rate of gears is very typical for servos of any quality, although we are of course trying to eliminate it completely.

The batch we have now still has a water sealed case, and we went a step further and had the PCBs conformally coated which is not found on other waterproof servos. But for sake of the product they are considered water resistant and not waterproof. They will all take a good splashing and quick dunk, but it is not recommended to run them underwater for extended periods.

There is another occasional problem with the motor, about 1 in 100 units so far. One of the phase wires inside the motor can break or weaken and cause an intermittent problem after many hours of use. We are working with the motor manufacturer to find a method of strain relief. This failure is within an expected rate for "something" to occur, most electronics will encounter a random failure between 2 and 3% in the first few hours of use anyway. But we know what is happening so we can work on improvement.

I do not intend to sell products for customers to be testers on, unless specifically stated as such. But sometimes problems don't occur until larger batches are tested by a wider audience. The first ten units made were put through very hard testing and had zero problems over four months and are still running strong, so we proceeded with the overall design. Only after getting another 100 into customers hands did we start to see issues. Change in quality control from the factory? Not enough sample size or duration in the first testing? Hard to say why we couldn't predict the problems, but easy to see what needs to be improved. I thank everyone with encountered issues that continues to support the product and Holmes Hobbies, as these customers allow us to improve the servo instead of just throwing up our hands.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:59 AM   #266
Rock Crawler

No complaining here, as what you said...you will make it right. Just keep up the good service! And I've been watching the evolvement of these since you released them. Defiantly some bumpy roads but how else are ya going to learn?

I'm close on ordering another one of these for my other rig soon. Probably after the holidays.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:58 PM   #267
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevotafun View Post
Irok
Where in BC are you?
Kamloops
irok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:00 AM   #268
I wanna be Dave

Mr Holmes, I'm sorry if i stirred the pot and caused you problems. I should have pm you my questions. My wife is a biomedical engineer and a mechanical engineer(I'm a civil engineer). She is currently designing aviation servos an has had similar issues. Her company had to hire an employee to go to china ( forgot the city) to be their quality control person. He also spoke the language.
I was telling her about your percentages and she said your doing very well. Most large companies would kill to get those numbers of success in this short of time.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:52 AM   #269
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

No worries, you had valid questions and the product has been changing quickly. I've had a lot of experience collected through our own products and by being a distributor for castle and Tekin, attrition is part of the game but companies rarely share numbers. But customers do on forums My degree is in business with an emphasis on statistics and I really nerd out on modes of failure.

In perspective, the Brxl has a 2.5 to 3% failure rate per batch within the first few hours of use. We can test them once or until the cows come home and this rate does not change. I am certain it is due to lead free solder and vibrations during transit to the customer. On the other hand our brushed motors have a 0.1 to 0.2% failure rate at the commutator not including hung brushes or debris induced failure. Either a broken wire or exploded comm, both due to problems with the injection molding of the plastic comm support. Considering the mechanical/ electrical nature of a brushed motor and how many steps are involved in manufacturing, we have gotten our qc about as tight as possible. There is also the occasional thrown wire on machine wound motors, 0.0004% in 2014 over 5000 units. These numbers are extremely important to track, as without an understanding of "natural" attrition we would not be able to ensure that pricing has enough buffer for warranty and service needs.

One thing we have to remember is that crawlers are much harder on servos than others. No servo savers, direct linkages off solid knuckles, and ever increasing speeds as the years roll on. Thanks U4RC for the speed boost this year I haven't found a single servo maker that understands it when I say a 5lb truck can wreck a gear set. The response is always "customer must install wrong". No no, customer just drives a crawler!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #270
Pebble Pounder

How do I tell if I have a newer one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:44 AM   #271
I wanna be Dave

My v2 has a black top. I'm color blind so I may be wrong.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:07 AM   #272
I wanna be Dave

John keep up your dedication! By the time I get my builds ready the servo will be solid without a doubt. I run Holmes stuff only in my rigs for this reason pure dedication to our hobby.
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:49 AM   #273
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
The first run failures were due to gears, about 1 in 4 would fail rather quickly on the 2nd gear. The 2nd batch had about 10% gear failure, the third batch was 5%, and the next batch is all steel and will probably push the failure point elsewhere. A 3% failure rate of gears is very typical for servos of any quality, although we are of course trying to eliminate it completely.

The batch we have now still has a water sealed case, and we went a step further and had the PCBs conformally coated which is not found on other waterproof servos. But for sake of the product they are considered water resistant and not waterproof. They will all take a good splashing and quick dunk, but it is not recommended to run them underwater for extended periods.

There is another occasional problem with the motor, about 1 in 100 units so far. One of the phase wires inside the motor can break or weaken and cause an intermittent problem after many hours of use. We are working with the motor manufacturer to find a method of strain relief. This failure is within an expected rate for "something" to occur, most electronics will encounter a random failure between 2 and 3% in the first few hours of use anyway. But we know what is happening so we can work on improvement.

I do not intend to sell products for customers to be testers on, unless specifically stated as such. But sometimes problems don't occur until larger batches are tested by a wider audience. The first ten units made were put through very hard testing and had zero problems over four months and are still running strong, so we proceeded with the overall design. Only after getting another 100 into customers hands did we start to see issues. Change in quality control from the factory? Not enough sample size or duration in the first testing? Hard to say why we couldn't predict the problems, but easy to see what needs to be improved. I thank everyone with encountered issues that continues to support the product and Holmes Hobbies, as these customers allow us to improve the servo instead of just throwing up our hands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
No worries, you had valid questions and the product has been changing quickly. I've had a lot of experience collected through our own products and by being a distributor for castle and Tekin, attrition is part of the game but companies rarely share numbers. But customers do on forums My degree is in business with an emphasis on statistics and I really nerd out on modes of failure.

In perspective, the Brxl has a 2.5 to 3% failure rate per batch within the first few hours of use. We can test them once or until the cows come home and this rate does not change. I am certain it is due to lead free solder and vibrations during transit to the customer. On the other hand our brushed motors have a 0.1 to 0.2% failure rate at the commutator not including hung brushes or debris induced failure. Either a broken wire or exploded comm, both due to problems with the injection molding of the plastic comm support. Considering the mechanical/ electrical nature of a brushed motor and how many steps are involved in manufacturing, we have gotten our qc about as tight as possible. There is also the occasional thrown wire on machine wound motors, 0.0004% in 2014 over 5000 units. These numbers are extremely important to track, as without an understanding of "natural" attrition we would not be able to ensure that pricing has enough buffer for warranty and service needs.

One thing we have to remember is that crawlers are much harder on servos than others. No servo savers, direct linkages off solid knuckles, and ever increasing speeds as the years roll on. Thanks U4RC for the speed boost this year I haven't found a single servo maker that understands it when I say a 5lb truck can wreck a gear set. The response is always "customer must install wrong". No no, customer just drives a crawler!
Only a couple of the MANY reasons why my aftermarket motors have always been HH, looks like my next servo will have to be HH as well.
Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:50 AM   #274
Rock Crawler

I run Holmes wherever I can in my rigs. Going need to pick up another servo and a couple of those spools soon.

I recently had warranty done to my first real aftermarket servo. After that experience I will defiantly be going back. Service was excellent and I wasn't without a servo for that long. Just plain awesome!! I'll be directing all my business with John when ever I can!! Keep up the good work!
Old 12-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #275
Quarry Creeper

I think he should pick up shop and move the whole operation to Canada.

Wut?
GodSpeed999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:59 PM   #276
I wanna be Dave

We would love to have Holmes hobbies in West Texas. As a mater of fact our govner is giving nice incentives to move business to Texas. I do enjoy Canada very much. When we go my kyosho blizzard ev always finds a way to go with me.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:12 PM   #277
Rock Crawler

Hi John, I recently installed the Trailmaster servo and I am having some issues with it. Maybe you have some advice. When I return to center, the wheels oscillate quickly back band forth. It can be stopped if I apply enough force to the wheels with my hand.

Note: I tried to plug in directly and it didn't oscillate, but I need a 6 inch extension cord.
Dezertdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:19 PM   #278
Rock Crawler

Here's a video of my Holmes Hobbies Servo issue. http://youtu.be/7VxElHr3AXg
Dezertdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:24 PM   #279
I wanna be Dave

I run my hh servo with an extension that is heavy gauge as I could find and it didn't twitch. I also am using airtronics rx and TX.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:09 PM   #280
Pebble Pounder

I run a extension on mine too. No issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote

HH Servo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C.I. - Servo Guard - Servo Clamp - Servo Mount - Annoucement Nova's Ark Crawler Innovations 10 05-07-2015 01:25 PM
***Crawler Innovations Engraved Servo Guard-Servo Clamp-Servo Mount GIVEAWAY*** Nova's Ark General Crawlers 106 10-20-2013 02:16 AM
***Crawler Innovations Servo Guard-Servo Clamp-Servo Mount GIVEAWAY*** Nova's Ark General Crawlers 228 07-12-2011 01:17 PM
***Crawler Innovations Servo Guard-Servo Clamp-Servo Mount GIVEAWAY*** Nova's Ark General Crawlers 266 04-01-2011 02:18 PM
Crawler Innovations Servo Guard - Servo Clamp - Servo Mount GIVEAWAY!!! Nova's Ark General Crawlers 219 10-18-2010 12:43 PM