Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Official Novak Crawler Products Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2009, 11:53 AM   #741
Pebble Pounder

Default 18.5 crawler sensor wire issue

I've already submitted this to Novak support but I figured I'd post here as well. I just bought a Goat 3s with the 18.5 Crawler motor. The guy I got it from said it had an intermittent issue that seemed to be with where the sensor wire plugs into the ESC. It just stops running but all of the lights are on like normal. You can immediately unplug and plug it back in and it will be fine for a little while and then for no apparent reason will cut off again (short). Again re-seating the sensor wire connection will fix it for a while. I recorded the light sequences and are. The normal Blue, Amber and Red, hit the throttle either forward or reverse and they go Blue, Amber and Green then the Red light flashes 6 times and then goes off for a few seconds like it's resetting then Green and Red flash then back to the normal Blue, Amber and Red. You can hit the throttle again and it does the same sequence. I do have another Goat 2s with an 18.5 so I pulled the 18.5 crawler motor and sensor wire off it and put it on the 3s and it seems to be just fine. Is this something I can send to you and have fixed or would I be better off buying another motor/sensor wire combo. I tried to see if replacing the wire is something I can do but it doesn't look possible on this motor.

Thanks
Larry
Ugly Truckling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2009, 12:30 PM   #742
Quarry Creeper

tech@teamnovak.com is the best place to ask about your options. We can replace your motor for @39 +sh/handl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Truckling View Post
I've already submitted this to Novak support but I figured I'd post here as well. I just bought a Goat 3s with the 18.5 Crawler motor. The guy I got it from said it had an intermittent issue that seemed to be with where the sensor wire plugs into the ESC. It just stops running but all of the lights are on like normal.

You can immediately unplug and plug it back in and it will be fine for a little while and then for no apparent reason will cut off again (short). Again re-seating the sensor wire connection will fix it for a while. I recorded the light sequences and are. The normal Blue, Amber and Red, hit the throttle either forward or reverse and they go Blue, Amber and Green then the Red light flashes 6 times and then goes off for a few seconds like it's resetting then Green and Red flash then back to the normal Blue, Amber and Red. You can hit the throttle again and it does the same sequence.

I do have another Goat 2s with an 18.5 so I pulled the 18.5 crawler motor and sensor wire off it and put it on the 3s and it seems to be just fine. Is this something I can send to you and have fixed or would I be better off buying another motor/sensor wire combo. I tried to see if replacing the wire is something I can do but it doesn't look possible on this motor.

Thanks
Larry
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #743
Pebble Pounder

How much more would it be to upgrade to a Ballistic 18.5 Crawler motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
tech@teamnovak.com is the best place to ask about your options. We can replace your motor for @39 +sh/handl.
Ugly Truckling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:56 PM   #744
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Truckling View Post
How much more would it be to upgrade to a Ballistic 18.5 Crawler motor?
At this time, our service program doesn't offer upgrades from product to product.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:29 PM   #745
Quarry Creeper

Our new Ballistic Crawler motors will begin shipping shortly. We have added the replacement wound stators for these motors to our store:

Ballistic Crawling Hand-Wound Stators

We will be adding the 17.5T wound stator to the options.

If you want to try a different wind Crawler motor: just replace the stator, instead of buying an additional motor.

Last edited by NovakTwo; 11-27-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:35 PM   #746
Pebble Pounder

Default Rooster crawler esc

Hi guys, I have a Rooster crawler esc and 55t Novak setup in my crawler and have never had any problems. Recently I bolted up a set of weighted alloy beadlocks and now my rig seems to not have the amount of drag brake it once did. On hill climbs when I let up on the throttle it'll ease down hill and I was wondering is there anything I can do to prevent this. I am not willing to get rid of the weights in the wheels because it will now take lines it would otherwise flip over on without the weight. BTW I love this forum for it's abundance of info and wish I had joined sooner!
rokcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:09 AM   #747
Quarry Creeper

Lately I've been having a drag brake issue with the Rooster Crawler ESC. After a couple of runs, I'll turn off until my next turn and then real quick check the drag brake function and it's not there. Typically I've been turning off and reprogamming it and then drag break works fine, until next time it's turned off then off then has drag brake issue all over again.

I have the Traxxas TQ4 radio system and there where alot of racers & crawlers at the local club spt, so not sure if I was getting interference. I will try again this Tuesday to make sure.

Chris
snwchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:50 AM   #748
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by snwchris View Post
Lately I've been having a drag brake issue with the Rooster Crawler ESC. After a couple of runs, I'll turn off until my next turn and then real quick check the drag brake function and it's not there. Typically I've been turning off and reprogamming it and then drag break works fine, until next time it's turned off then off then has drag brake issue all over again.

I have the Traxxas TQ4 radio system and there where alot of racers & crawlers at the local club spt, so not sure if I was getting interference. I will try again this Tuesday to make sure.

Chris
You can contact tech@teamnovak.com for assistance.

I recommend that anyone with specific Novak product related issues contact Tech for trouble-shooting help. The more info you include, the more likely it is that the Techs can help you.

I also generally suggest the following:

You can always email tech@teamnovak.com with your question, during regular CS hours. Before emailing, take a moment to review the instructions (trouble-shooting guide) originally included with your Novak Item:

Novak Instruction Downloads

Quote:
Please make your initial email as detailed as possible. Include:

~ warranty claim?
~ speed control (brand/model)
~ motor (brand/wind)
~ rotor (old/new)
~ connectors used
~ servo (brand/model)
~ radio system (receiver/transmitter)
~ vehicle & gearing
~ battery, brand (c rating/capacity)
~ any external modules (BEC/brand, Glitch Buster)
~ other important info: water damage, corrosive chemical sprays, excess heat, etc
The more information you provide in your first email, the more quickly tech support can offer you assistance.

PS: It's a good idea to send this comprehensive info to ANY company when you are requesting product or application assistance.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:14 AM   #749
Rock Stacker

This thread is pointless, Novak 2 all you do is refer people to tech support. why not have a tech support guy post here. The point of these forums is so people can find solutions to problems others have had and to share knowledge. I read one long post after another where people post info and then you direct them to customer support. Even after they said they sent the info to customer support.

You make me want to sell my novak and buy something else.
bigemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:02 AM   #750
Quarry Creeper

Default So many R/C forums, so little time.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigemike View Post
This thread is pointless, Novak 2 all you do is refer people to tech support. why not have a tech support guy post here. The point of these forums is so people can find solutions to problems others have had and to share knowledge. I read one long post after another where people post info and then you direct them to customer support. Even after they said they sent the info to customer support.

You make me want to sell my novak and buy something else.
There are dozens of r/c forums to scan daily; our tech folks are generally very busy helping customers phoning and emailing the factory for assistance. Our policy is to offer trouble-shooting guidance on an individual basis. Therefore, I advise users having specific issues with Novak products to contact tech support directly and include all of the information necessary to get the help they need.

Almost every problem you have in your racing electronics will seem to cause problems for the esc, whether it is an esc problem, or not. Finding out what is causing the problem can be a lengthy process; technicians just don't have the time to do this (and sort through extraneous comments) in the forum threads. Some here may not approve of our method of helping our customers, but we have been providing tech support in this industry for over 30 years and it seems to be working fairly well.

When we identify common problems, or questions, customers have, we prepare technical updates for all to read---posted on the front page of our website (right column.) Perhaps you could direct me to Crawler forum threads in which other major electronic manufacturers are offering superior tech service; we are always willing to review our policies and update procedures.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #751
Rock Stacker

thank you for the cookie cutter reply, blah blah blah, goto customer service, you are as bad as best buy. So worried about corporate bs you are actually losing your customer support. Really, why don't you at least send someone in the right direction or use some of your technical expieriance to help people out.

Novak is losing ground to Tekin and Advanced Electronics, soon you guys will be an entry level brand.
bigemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #752

Default novak havok

I found a 21.5 novak havok sensored BL motor/esc combo for a good price would this work good in a LCC?
mvff1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #753
Rock Stacker

This is the same bull shit that gets posted on rcmonster from Novak. Lets push our products out the door and post the same crap when there is a problem, e-mail tech support. WTF was I thinking when I bought a goat 3s!?!?!?
Mad-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:17 AM   #754
RCC Addict

When is the new Goat 3s with 18.5 motor going to be out? It was supposed to be in some shops on 11/27, still not there.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:56 AM   #755
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
When is the new Goat 3s with 18.5 motor going to be out? It was supposed to be in some shops on 11/27, still not there.
We started shipping the Goat 3S/Ballistic systems to our distributors last week.

Let me make one additional point about Tech Support:

I am not part of our Engineering/Tech group. I am not qualified to offer technical advice; so I always direct forum members to contact the Novak guys who can offer them personal assistance. We are a very small company (@40-45 employees, most of them in manufacturing) and simply do not have excess employees who can spend their days monitoring the vast array of R/C forums.

I always try to respond quicky to questions by directing forum members to the help or information needed to solve problems. I monitor many forums daily and I believe that our level of forum support equals, or exceeds, that of other R/C companies that are much larger than Novak.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:00 AM   #756
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvff1984 View Post
I found a 21.5 novak havok sensored BL motor/esc combo for a good price would this work good in a LCC?
Our standard Havoc systems were not designed for Crawler applications. We offer our re-manufactured Goat 2S Crawler esc/motor combo in our store for 123.00.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:21 AM   #757
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Perhaps you could direct me to Crawler forum threads in which other major electronic manufacturers are offering superior tech service; we are always willing to review our policies and update procedures.
Why don't you try to be a leader
in the industry and offer the support customers need instead of whining about what other manufactures are doing.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #758
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Man View Post
Why don't you try to be a leader
in the industry and offer the support customers need instead of whining about what other manufactures are doing.
Many members, of various R/C forums, are pleased to have a company rep respond in a timely fashion and offer assistance. I also get quite a few PMs on those various sites, and help customers privately.

I can't please everybody; just do the best I can. It is unusual to receive this much criticism for my presence here and attempting to resolve customers' problems.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:38 PM   #759
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Many members, of various R/C forums, are pleased to have a company rep respond in a timely fashion and offer assistance. I also get quite a few PMs on those various sites, and help customers privately.

I can't please everybody; just do the best I can. It is unusual to receive this much criticism for my presence here and attempting to resolve customers' problems.

"Call tech support" isn't much of an attempt to solve customer problems. I'm not trying to be as critical as I may seem, I'm just looking for better customer service. I understand Novak is a small company and there are only so many hours in a day but even something as simple as "call tech support and talk to "John Doe", he's an expert on the Goat ESC." shows a bit more customer care.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:59 PM   #760

Is the pro SS 21.5 brushless motor compatible with the goast 3s and what are the differences between this motor and the 21.5 crawler motor. (advantages /disadvantages)
carver88 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/85567-official-novak-crawler-products-thread.html
Posted By For Type Date
novak rooster crawler edition This thread Refback 10-04-2011 04:16 PM