Notices

Thread: Wolf Creek RC Scale Park

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 08:17 AM   #141
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Wolf Creek RC Scale Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastaman View Post
Great stuff right there, giving me lots o ideas now....
Thanks. be sure and post some pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8welch View Post
Is this in wolf creek va? If so is it near williamsburg? Im in Chesapeake and if this place is that close I would really like to see it in person.
Sort of, Wolf Creek is a real creek & people around here refer to it as "up wolf creek" but we're about 1 hour west of Blacksburg, about 1 mile from the WV state line. I don't think Google Map would recognize Wolf Creek as a place name though. It's a beautiful creek & our property fronts the creek for about a 1/2 mile, thus the name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.a.r. View Post
Said it on another forum but I'll say it again anyway, how much I would love to come and play here! (not that I ever have a working rig...)

Just an FYI, I wanted to see your website but the URL in your signature has an additional 'L' in wolf, so copy/paste failed. Found it eventually
Well... you could come by ship, that would give you time to work on your rig. Thanks for the clue, fixed the signature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.yaw View Post
Awesome course man. I want to build one in my yard but I just don't k ow where to start.
The key is to just start. If I try to envison the finished product, it's too overwhelming but once I get going...

Spring is here & I'm totally behind. I did a lot of clean up last weekend & am gearing up to get things out in the rocks so should be some updates to this thread. I've had a number of projects this winter that I can't wait to get out there.

One of the things that has really slowed me down this spring is I had to take out a few really big trees that were looking a bit precarious. I now need to get a boom truck for picture taking.

Last edited by DRW-FJ40; 04-30-2013 at 08:19 AM.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2013, 11:34 PM   #142
Pebble Pounder

Ok I know round about where ya are. Im from Beckley wv just moved to chesapeake va a couple years ago. We are heading in to beckley this weekend and would love to come check out your place.
n8welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #143
Pebble Pounder

That is great man good job !
builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #144
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys, here are some recent updates:

Had a blow-out weekend of work and got everything ready… well it wasn’t all work. My friend Jeff brought his Power wagon which is almost done, needs bumpers, head light bezels & siren & Ah-ooga horn. But as you can see, detail is fantastic. Mirrors, light brackets, gas filler, all scratch. Interior is sweet too. It’s on a TF2 chassis. I showed him up with my new Honcho look though. We got the bridge up, jungle hut & a lot of new terrain to play on. Stuff with the campground sign is all new. Oh... I almost forgot, the Federal government designated us as a National Forest but I agreed only on one condition... that they replace that jeep on the trail signs. They did.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #145
RCC Addict

I just moved to NC and am always down for a road trip. I'd love to come check the place out. Pm me if this is a possibility. I'd love to hit up your trails
kaneohecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #146
I wanna be Dave

That Carry-All is nothing short of-

BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #147
I wanna be Dave

Yea that Wagon is one of nicest bodies I've ever seen.

It's a perfect mate to the TF2 chassis and suspension.

If you tell me that is scratch-built I'm gonna cry...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #148
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys. Yea the Dodge is very nice. The body was made by a guy in Colorado from wood & other stuff, he then made a mold from that original & pours resin in it so it comes out looking like an injection molded body. Pretty interesting technique. Relatively inexpensive compared to injection molding but you can't mold both sides & I would think it would be tricky to get a consistant thickness but hey, it looks great. But you're on your own for interior, mirrors, lights, window glass, wipers, trim, etc. (I think?? Don't quote me on any of this but Jeff made all that from scratch). I believe the guy designed it to work with the TF2 chassis which it seems to do well, it's true 10 scale & the original had 16" wheels so the 1.55 is just about right & the suspension is scale. Don't think he made very many of them but not sure. Google "zeek 1941 1/2 ton dodge" & you'll find his thread.

This is a pic of what comes off the mold:

Here are a couple more shots of the PW:

Last edited by DRW-FJ40; 05-29-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #149
RCC Addict

Been lurking in this thread for a while, and I must say, wow!

Talk about a therapeutic driving experience. Nothing short of the ultimate scale ride with a mellow grin from ear to ear! Total stress reliever.

Amazing.
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #150
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedo View Post
Been lurking in this thread for a while, and I must say, wow!

Talk about a therapeutic driving experience. Nothing short of the ultimate scale ride with a mellow grin from ear to ear! Total stress reliever.

Amazing.
Always nice when someone "gets it". TF2 chassis is great for this. You want a hard body that you don't want to scratch and a chassis capable of preventing that. And terrain that is varied but not so brutal that your on the verge of rolling over every few feet.

I have a lot of terrain that's super challenging and SCX10s for tackling it but my "groomed trails" are for walking on so you're not stumbling over rocks AND for that zen driving experience you're refering too.... it's magic.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #151
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW-FJ40 View Post
Always nice when someone "gets it". TF2 chassis is great for this. You want a hard body that you don't want to scratch and a chassis capable of preventing that. And terrain that is varied but not so brutal that your on the verge of rolling over every few feet.

I have a lot of terrain that's super challenging and SCX10s for tackling it but my "groomed trails" are for walking on so you're not stumbling over rocks AND for that zen driving experience you're refering too.... it's magic.
I was gonna ask if those were 1.55's, I was 90% sure they were. Those are such a perfect match for that body

Your place perfectly replicates a full scale "RV Park" where you'd go for an afternoon/weekend of off-road driving on terrain that is relaxing and fun instead of hair-raising super-scary and you don't risk thousands of $$ in damage and need help recovering if things do go wrong. I hope I can stop by someday, it looks like a lot of love has gone into Wolf Creek.

There's a 1:1 place about an hour from me just like this. $25 a day per person, and go drive some real trails...
Welcome
Old 05-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #152
Rock Stacker

That's a sweet lookin course. Gives me lots of ideas for when I get to build my backyard course .
AC_Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #153
I wanna be Dave

I like the one rock next to the other rock. Its really cool. How'd you do that? Are you a geologist?
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #154
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
I like the one rock next to the other rock. Its really cool. How'd you do that? Are you a geologist?
No, I'm an astronaut. all my rocks are placed via triangulation, I used GPS. That bear needs a new dress.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:03 PM   #155
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW-FJ40 View Post
No, I'm an astronaut. all my rocks are placed via triangulation, I used GPS. That bear needs a new dress.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #156
Rock Crawler

I built a new bridge. This is part of a trail we've used for years to access a little creek/waterfall behind our house. I've always thought it would make a cool loop trail through the woods & along the creek. The bridge spans a little drainage that feeds into the creek. Also got some new pics in the rock garden.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #157
I wanna be Dave

Oh my goodness! Look at that honcho! Do you have a build thread on that? They are pretty rare and I can't get enough of them. Please fax me some more information about it. I do not wish to learn about bridges so please don't include anything about them. I already know everything there is to know about bridges... and wolves.
Regards,
Bort's younger American brother, Bort.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #158
I wanna be Dave

Please excuse my twin brother's post. The bridge looks great my friend. Can't wait to drive my FJ55's off of it.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #159
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Oh my goodness! Look at that honcho! Do you have a build thread on that? They are pretty rare and I can't get enough of them. Please fax me some more information about it. I do not wish to learn about bridges so please don't include anything about them. I already know everything there is to know about bridges... and wolves.
Regards,
Bort's younger American brother, Bort.
Dear Bort's younger American brother, previously known as Bort,

I don't have a build thread on the Honcho but I do have more pictures. Here is my favorite.

I searched the interweb and found this one that I thought was particularly cool.... Ya know... I swear I've seen those needle files somewhere before... Naw... couldn't be.

and here is a party I went to last week that you missed.

Quote:
Please excuse my twin brother's post. The bridge looks great my friend. Can't wait to drive my FJ55's off of it.
Thanks. Technically it should have more triangles for strength but I ran out of material... so I'll wait for you to drive it first so I can see if it will hold the weight of a truck. Bring something nice that you've spent a lot of time on.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #160
Rock Crawler

Here are a couple I missed from the last session on the first go around:

Last edited by DRW-FJ40; 06-27-2013 at 03:06 PM.

Wolf Creek RC Scale Park - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wolf Creek ORV Park DRW-FJ40 Tamiya CR-01 11 11-22-2011 06:22 AM
My Hilux in Wolf Creek RC ORV Park DRW-FJ40 1.9 Scale Rigs 11 09-15-2011 10:08 AM
My Honcho in the Wolf Creek RC ORV Park DRW-FJ40 Axial SCX-10 33 07-27-2011 07:29 AM
Eaton Canyon Park or Malibu Creek State Park landrover4wd California 1 11-03-2009 06:26 PM
Panther creek park Sevier Crawler Tennessee 54 09-06-2009 10:29 AM