Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: RC4WDs New Micro Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2016, 06:36 PM   #261
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: RC4WDs New Micro Crawler

Ahh nvm I just re read your reply. Its not quite a divorced stock setup, you added in the losi transmission for more reduction. A 59t spur would need a little filing and grinding to fit,but would still work
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2016, 07:34 PM   #262
Rock Stacker

Friends in the UK, what are you paying for these? I saw one pop up on ebay (location was Liverpool), a little on the high side, and made an offer that was very reasonable. He declined it and upped the price to 250 GBP! Now it's gone. Hoping he was just a price gouger! I hope no one paid that much!
Clingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:21 AM   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clingman View Post
Friends in the UK, what are you paying for these? I saw one pop up on ebay (location was Liverpool), a little on the high side, and made an offer that was very reasonable. He declined it and upped the price to 250 GBP! Now it's gone. Hoping he was just a price gouger! I hope no one paid that much!
thats pretty shocking seeing as it works out to be $518 NZD and i payed $300 NZD for mine from rc4wd, admittedly i was kind of surprised when i found out it would cost me that much but it has turned out to be a great little project for me. but surely for that much you could put together a decent 1/10??
crawler will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:41 AM   #264
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clingman View Post
Hi there, I got mine "used" on the Bay but almost new. I wouldn't be able to disclose the exact price but it is below £200.
By the way, have you heard anything about a suitable replacement motor for the stock one? apart from the extensive discussions here in the forum...which is great

Last edited by Aeronuclear; 04-11-2016 at 02:43 AM.
Aeronuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:02 AM   #265

As far as I know the only motor that bolts on is the same motor it came with but there are no better versions of that motor that I know of. I did however manage to bolt with 1 bolt a Losi motor from a trail trekker with the smallest available pinion that losi makes for it, might have been a 8 or 9 tooth and it seemed to provided more power. That's all I know of in the way of motors so the next step up would be a divorced setup or new transmission alternative. Someone made one out of a servo which seemed to work pretty well
Old 04-12-2016, 07:05 AM   #266
I wanna be Dave

I stumbled across this and thought maybe it could be used for a divorced setup. You'll have to compare the dimensions as I don't have one of these RC4WD crawlers yet. It says it's only a 105rpm output on 6v.

DC 6V 105RPM Micro DC Gear Motor Gear Box Motor Sale - Banggood.com
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:03 AM   #267
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
I stumbled across this and thought maybe it could be used for a divorced setup. You'll have to compare the dimensions as I don't have one of these RC4WD crawlers yet. It says it's only a 105rpm output on 6v.

DC 6V 105RPM Micro DC Gear Motor Gear Box Motor Sale - Banggood.com
People seem to be having a problem adapting the 3mm output shafts on those...
Shape_Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:24 PM   #268
Quarry Creeper

Yes the problem with these is the output shaft, cant seem to find any with a 1.5mm shaft to get the pinion onto, or a proper pinion to go on the motors with a bigger shaft.
Heckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:03 PM   #269

If your willing to you can file down the shaft it's easy enough but when it comes to bolting the gear reduced motor to the transfer case you need to find a long enough bolt to go through the transfercase and through the brass gearbox to bolt into the motor. I've found that the motor needs to be bolted to the brass gearbox with both screws but what ever gets bolted to the transfercase you really only need one screw if you have the right sized pinion
Old 04-12-2016, 08:07 PM   #270
Rock Crawler

Look at SDP or Polulo or smallparts.com, etc.

This stuff exists. It just depends on how bad you want to make the mod.....
Shape_Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:14 PM   #271
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
Yes the problem with these is the output shaft, cant seem to find any with a 1.5mm shaft to get the pinion onto, or a proper pinion to go on the motors with a bigger shaft.
Great source for pinions. I get my .3m pinions with a 2mm bore from here. Any size you can think of!
kkpmo - Zahnräder M0.3 M0,3 für Modellbauer, Faller Car, Modelleisenbahn
TownsendTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:54 AM   #272
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownsendTdi View Post
Great source for pinions. I get my .3m pinions with a 2mm bore from here. Any size you can think of!
kkpmo - Zahnräder M0.3 M0,3 für Modellbauer, Faller Car, Modelleisenbahn
Thanks for sharing, let us know if it makes any difference with your new pinion.
Sqbiedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:32 AM   #273
Rock Stacker

Can anyone that has a zoomed in picture of the motor shaft post a picture? With dimensions of shaft length, diameter etc. and hole sizes to mount the motor on the trans. This will help so people here can have a much better idea and think about a solution as a joined effort? Team work...
Aeronuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:35 AM   #274
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeronuclear View Post
Can anyone that has a zoomed in picture of the motor shaft post a picture? With dimensions of shaft length, diameter etc. and hole sizes to mount the motor on the trans. This will help so people here can have a much better idea and think about a solution as a joined effort? Team work...
My tranny is just lying on my workbench I'll try to snap a pic tonight.
M2 mounting hardware
99% sure it's a 1.5mm shaft, very short
Danally drilled and tapped the holes on a rewound 100t losi motor to 2mm to match the rc4wd motor and the holes still don't line up enough to use both screws to mount. It might be possible to slightly mod one of the holes to line up. I read it still wasn't great, the gearing is too high for that size motor.
It needs a 130 or 180 gear head motor (1:30ish reduction) and a transfer case. Or possibly a pinion and spur mounted on the transmission. There is no bolt on motor replacement with adequate power.
TownsendTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:22 PM   #275
Pebble Pounder

Well my motor is in small pieces so can't provide an accurate shaft length any more, but I'd say 4-5mm max - there is very little room in there unless you open the back of the case up as well.

The shaft dia is definitely 1.5mm and stock pinion is a 2.5mm deep 10T - the trans case allows adjustment for 9-11T but no bigger or smaller - a 12T definitely won't fit without removing case material.

According to the RC4WD press blurb, the trans is 15:1 and the axles give a further 2.55:1, making a total reduction of 38.25:1.

Given that most trekkers etc are running around 160:1 - 180:1 depending on pinion/spur, only a further 4:1 or 5:1 reduction is needed to get the RC4WD in the right ballpark.

With a 130 or 180 can motor, trekkers are generally running closer to 110:1, in which case a 3:1 reduction for the RC4WD is about right.

I'd say if we're going to the trouble we might as well aim high and work on a 130/180 can mod, particularly given the extra weight of this truck over most trekkers.

Having looked over the chassis fairly carefully there really doesn't seem to be much room for a divorced setup, and limited mounting options. I think the ideal solution would be a pinion/spur setup including a slipper plate if possible - with 180 power something has to give
Sparks1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:46 PM   #276
Pebble Pounder

I've been playing around with a spur/pinion setup for 130/180 can motors. This attempt ultimately failed as something wasn't lined up right, but I think I can sort it. I think the principle is sound, just the execution that was somewhat lacking Here's where I got to:

I used what I had around - some ally sheet and tube, ally spacers from the HBX, shaft/pinion and bronze bearings from the stock motor, longer m2 hex scews and a 32T gear from a long dead HS81MG servo:

The motor is a high torque 180 from my now even more dead esky llama heli - I've been waiting to find a use for it for some time Unfortunately it sits too far back and interferes with the top links, so I've had to revert to a 130 can big block from Danally.

With a 16T pinion on the motor this setup will give me an extra 2:1 reduction, which I'm hoping will be enough with the big block.

There seems to be room inside the chassis rails to get a 52T-54T gear in there, which would be a better ratio and might also lift the motor just high enough to allow clearance for the 180 can. Unfortunately I don't have a suitable gear lying around to try. I looked at using a losi slipper and shaft but it all got a bit much!
Old 04-14-2016, 06:40 PM   #277
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks1337 View Post
According to the RC4WD press blurb, the trans is 15:1 and the axles give a further 2.55:1, making a total reduction of 38.25:1.

Given that most trekkers etc are running around 160:1 - 180:1
This still makes me shake my head and wonder what the heck they were thinking, setting the things up with that ratio out of the box...
Clingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:46 AM   #278
Pebble Pounder

I'm surely hoop that Rc4wd comes up with some sort of gear/motor for this problem cause this really SUCKS BIG TIME!!

CAN YOU DO THAT RC4WD!!! lol
Sqbiedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:55 AM   #279
Pebble Pounder

So to try and get a useable D90 I'm putting dual geared (300rpm from an Orlandoo F-150) motors into a custom built skid - still waiting for both the motors to turn up, but it should work OK!

jimbo_wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:28 PM   #280
Pebble Pounder

Good effort mate, looks simpler to put together than my attempt Should be good.

I reckon two of the sumo size gearmotors might fit in the same way for even more power!

I'm working on v2 of mine - so far so good.

RC4WDs New Micro Crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BWD Micro Wheel Weight System for the new Losi Micro Crawler! billet works Vendors Market 19 10-18-2010 05:42 PM
~Petition for RC4WDs next 1.9, 3.7" tall tire~ STANG KILLA SS Tires and Wheels 105 02-03-2008 02:17 AM
RC4WDs Aluminum 2.2 Hilux wheels SuperSancho Tires and Wheels 5 04-29-2006 12:42 PM