Notices

Thread: RC4WDs New Micro Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2016, 07:14 PM   #201
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: RC4WDs New Micro Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clingman View Post
I have an 050 motor (longer version of 030) and it won't fit because it hits the fastener holding the upper link to the chassis :(
What if you flip the hardware around so the nut is on the outside?
Druxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2016, 10:26 PM   #202
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernerbill View Post
What are peoples thoughts on it having a drag break. Are you thinking a more torque motor will help it create some drag?

I can't remember how effective my Losi micro crawlers ESC was for the drag break.......think it was ok.....ah can't remember.
A motor with more torque will have better drag brakes. When you turn the motor by hand a brushed motor that has good strong magnets will kinda thunk, thunk, thunk as you rotate the armature. More windings and stronger magnets make more torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
The Losis were worm gear driven and it didn't really matter if it had a drag brake or not.

I've got a Mini Q motor for another abandoned project I'll measure the mounting holes if anyone cares.
X2 on the Losis.

Might be interesting motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druxus View Post
What if you flip the hardware around so the nut is on the outside?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:57 PM   #203
Pebble Pounder

Well got my DDT predator 90t installed. Definately more torque than stock but still not enough for this gearing. I did have quite a bit of glitching with stock electronics, swapped out with a spare 1/8 esc and axial RTR Tx. Cleaned up the glitches much smoother control. Pretty damn quick now too, gearing is just way too high.
derycksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:09 AM   #204
Pebble Pounder

So how did you get the predator mounted? My D90 arrived yesterday and I have an 80T predator lying around...

I found the stock motor has picked up a bit of torque as it beds in. Still not enough even for trailing really though - it'll struggle over small obstacles but no low end control.
Sparks1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:00 PM   #205
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks1337 View Post
So how did you get the predator mounted? My D90 arrived yesterday and I have an 80T predator lying around...

I found the stock motor has picked up a bit of torque as it beds in. Still not enough even for trailing really though - it'll struggle over small obstacles but no low end control.
Had an old micro t laying around so i stole two screws and the predator bolted right up. Id recommend just tapping the motor for 2m and using stock hardware though. Lost screw heads were small and phillips

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
derycksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 05:00 AM   #206
Pebble Pounder

Now that is good news! I happen to have a 2mm tap Just got to work out how to remove those o-rings on the driveshafts. I looked at them and couldn't figure it so backed away. The manual just shows them sliding on. Are they metal or just rubber?
Sparks1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:14 AM   #207

The orings are just rubber. Just be careful not to cut them while your removing them. Does anyone know pitch of the pinion gear on the motor? I want to try and build a 1.5 or 2.0 reduction box for it but I need to order some gears.
ManicMechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:09 AM   #208
Quarry Creeper

I swapped the stock ESC for a Sidewinder Micro and a small 325 3S lipo using the stock motor and it helped a great seal, it will crawl slow and is even faster but the real improvement is when I hit an obstacle where in stock form it will just stall it will now climb over it, when its being held in place (stuck) it will spin all 4 tires and dig a trench in the dirt. It still needs gearing help but is much better and the motor on the 3S just barely gets warm.

I think a gear reduction motor may be the ticket with this setup.
Heckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:54 PM   #209
RCC Addict

Isn't the Sidewinder ESC brushless though?

Can you pop a picture up of your set up"thumbs"

Last question sorry, did that combo have any drag brake?
northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:53 PM   #210

You can program it to be brushed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DesRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:52 AM   #211
Quarry Creeper

Yes the sidewinder micro can do both brushed and brushless. I'll try to get some pics up later tonight.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:56 AM   #212
Rock Crawler

Tekin also makes good micro ESCs that will take 3S. I have used the small B1-R which is great for 3S on micro brushed motors. Tekin also makes a micro brushless controller.
Shape_Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:00 AM   #213
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape_Shifter View Post
Tekin also makes good micro ESCs that will take 3S. I have used the small B1-R which is great for 3S on micro brushed motors. Tekin also makes a micro brushless controller.

Isn't the B1-R a Holmes Hobbies controller? Which would be a Castle based controller.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:21 PM   #214
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
Isn't the B1-R a Holmes Hobbies controller? Which would be a Castle based controller.
I think you're thinking of the BRXL. The B1-R is the Tekin micro brushed controller.
The B1-R is a nice controller, but for the same $ a micro sidewinder is a little slimmer and will do brushed & Brushless and has tons of adjustment. If you're on a budget the xys-20a ESC is very tiny and usually only $12. Its brushed only
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:25 PM   #215
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
I swapped the stock ESC for a Sidewinder Micro and a small 325 3S lipo using the stock motor and it helped a great seal, it will crawl slow and is even faster but the real improvement is when I hit an obstacle where in stock form it will just stall it will now climb over it, when its being held in place (stuck) it will spin all 4 tires and dig a trench in the dirt. It still needs gearing help but is much better and the motor on the 3S just barely gets warm.

I think a gear reduction motor may be the ticket with this setup.
Have you (or anyone else) run the stock motor on 2s with a new ESC? I assume the lack of power is mostly the motor,but I'd imagine a better ESC may help some even on 2S. From what I see everyone saying about the stock setup a high turn big block maybe even with a new ESC would be ideal.

Last edited by spoo76; 03-28-2016 at 09:03 PM.
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 04:51 PM   #216
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
I think you're thinking of the BRXL. The B1-R is the Tekin micro brushed controller.
The B1-R is a nice controller, but for the same $ a micro sidewinder is a little slimmer and will do brushed & Brushless and has tons of adjustment. If you're on a budget the xys-20a ESC is very tiny and usually only $12. Its brushed only
I use the XYS-20 on my little Orlandoo truck. Definitely worth the money but is only rated at 2S.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:58 PM   #217
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
Have you (or anyone else) run the stock motor on 2s with a new ESC? I assume the lack of power is mostly the motor,but I'd imagine a better ESC may help some even on 2S. From what I see everyone saying a high turn big block maybe even with a new ESC would be ideal.
I use a losi esc/reciever from the micro crawler/trekker on 2s. No better with the stock motor.
TownsendTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:35 PM   #218
Rock Stacker

It needs a geared motor. I'm not going to burn a bunch of time and money trying to figure out the best combo, so for now mine is shelved and /or may go up for sale to finance some other project.

I wonder if rc4wd is working on some sort of upgrade kit for it to improve its crawling.
Clingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:55 PM   #219
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clingman View Post
It needs a geared motor. I'm not going to burn a bunch of time and money trying to figure out the best combo, so for now mine is shelved and /or may go up for sale to finance some other project.

I wonder if rc4wd is working on some sort of upgrade kit for it to improve its crawling.
Wow.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:19 PM   #220
Quarry Creeper

just got mine it was able to clime good sized roots, definitely needs lower gears tho. but im getting the mini sidewinder should be fun

Last edited by Erik R; 03-27-2016 at 11:30 PM.
Erik R is offline   Reply With Quote

RC4WDs New Micro Crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BWD Micro Wheel Weight System for the new Losi Micro Crawler! billet works Vendors Market 19 10-18-2010 05:42 PM
~Petition for RC4WDs next 1.9, 3.7" tall tire~ STANG KILLA SS Tires and Wheels 105 02-03-2008 02:17 AM
RC4WDs Aluminum 2.2 Hilux wheels SuperSancho Tires and Wheels 5 04-29-2006 12:42 PM