Notices

Thread: RC4WDs New Micro Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2016, 04:31 PM   #241
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: RC4WDs New Micro Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape_Shifter View Post
Why isnt anyone trying these types of motor? Is there just no room?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-6V-DC-Smal...QAAOSwwPhWlnSD
Seen a video of one on youtube with that as motor but language barrier. Looked very smooth and torquey but also, very slow. I have one on the way, just need to figure out how to get a pinion on there.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
derycksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2016, 04:34 PM   #242
Pebble Pounder

Yeah no room - the length is fine but the output shaft on those is a 3mm D - the trans is looking for a tiny 10t pinion on a 1mm or 1.5mm shaft and there isn't enough room to mount anything much bigger.
Sparks1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:39 PM   #243
I wanna be Dave

Can you bolt a brushless motor onto the gearbox to get a speed/torque medium?
Brake Weight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:49 PM   #244
Quarry Creeper

I have one of these on my bench at home and like said above the shaft is way to big to fit a pinion on, and the motor itself is actually smaller than the stock motor.

Quote:
3 6V DC Small Micro Metal Geared Box Electric Motor High Quality DIY DJNG | eBay
Heckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:13 PM   #245
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
3 6V DC Small Micro Metal Geared Box Electric Motor High Quality DIY DJNG | eBay
I am but with a redcat tranny.
TownsendTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:30 AM   #246
RCC Addict

All the talk so far is transmission and a little on axle width compared to the d90 shell.

Have any of you sourced any cool body shells, ones that fit width wise, accepted wheelbase might be wrong.
Any findings on rims, maybe tuck under more without rubbing?
northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:38 AM   #247
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernerbill View Post
All the talk so far is transmission and a little on axle width compared to the d90 shell.

Have any of you sourced any cool body shells, ones that fit width wise, accepted wheelbase might be wrong.
I have a hilux shell Bill that should be spot on needs a slightly longer wheelbase
Will need a fe bits removing and some little holes filled but has potential.

122mm total width across the arches
165mm ish wheelbase

Last edited by Dready; 04-02-2016 at 02:39 AM.
Dready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:50 AM   #248
Pebble Pounder

Aah Dready you jammy jammy get! That is just lovely.

Is that the 1/16 Nikko body or something else? I have the 1/20 Nikko Hilux but it's way too small for the gelande. The trouble is the gelande really needs a 1/18 body - 1/16 is a bit too big and 1/20 too small.

There don't seem to be any suitable plastic kits at that scale and old RCs tend to be either 1/16 or 1/20. I've spent a few years looking, as I always felt the micro wheels were too big, and I've yet to come across anything.

At 122mm it'll actually need offset wheels, and possibly a larger diameter as well to look right.

I have a couple of old radio shack/tandy bodies based (loosely) on a 79 Ford, but at 130mm width it is way too big for the gelande. The first one went on to a venom mini giant and I've yet to find a use for the second one:

Last edited by Sparks1337; 04-02-2016 at 04:15 AM.
Sparks1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:22 AM   #249
Rock Stacker

Default RC4WDs New Micro Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by derycksan View Post
Seen a video of one on youtube with that as motor but language barrier. Looked very smooth and torquey but also, very slow. I have one on the way, just need to figure out how to get a pinion on there.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I've seen the same video and it seems to work great. On his he has ditched the transmission and is using two of the winch motors hooked directly to the driveshafts somewhat like a MOA but retaining the shafts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rookie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:26 AM   #250
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernerbill View Post

Any of the micro Crawler wheels and tires should fit fine. RC4WD, gearhead,Danally, Jim "Fungi" or any of the previously discontinued wheels for the micro Crawlers. Its the standard losi micro/Redcat sumo crawler wheel, tire, and 7mm hex size from what the specs show.
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:36 AM   #251
Pebble Pounder

Hi everyone,

Got mine today and wanted to swap tire and rim but I can't unscrew those tiny M2 nuts using a traditional tamiya T wrench. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Sqbiedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:31 AM   #252
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqbiedoo View Post
Hi everyone,

Got mine today and wanted to swap tire and rim but I can't unscrew those tiny M2 nuts using a traditional tamiya T wrench. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
I used a " 4mm Socked Wrechch" similar to this on the Pic...

http://cdn.pollin.de/article/xtrabig/X501085.JPG

Regards
Wolf
LRTd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:46 AM   #253
Rock Stacker

Seems like it would not be a massive challenge to design and 3D print a dual motor mount for two of those little geared motors. They could be next to each other and opposed, with each connected directly to its respective driveshaft. The stock trans is almost too pretty to ditch, but it's borderline worthless
Clingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:15 AM   #254
Rock Crawler

I will build the 3D model if you have a printing source.
Shape_Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:37 AM   #255
I wanna be Dave

I wouldn't say the stock transfer case is worthless. The axles are just geared high. That seems to be a common problem with axles in this scale, the Sumo and I think the RC4WD micro Trex axles were geared high. Maybe it has something to do with getting enough gear in this small size? I don't know how Sam's 1/18 axles are geared however.
You could get more reduction by going to a divorced motor setup a few different ways, I don't think I've seen that yet.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:07 PM   #256

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
I wouldn't say the stock transfer case is worthless. The axles are just geared high. That seems to be a common problem with axles in this scale, the Sumo and I think the RC4WD micro Trex axles were geared high. Maybe it has something to do with getting enough gear in this small size? I don't know how Sam's 1/18 axles are geared however.
You could get more reduction by going to a divorced motor setup a few different ways, I don't think I've seen that yet.
If you happened to see the modification i made to my transfer case it allowed for a divorced setup. i used a losi trail trekker motor and trans which seemed to be a huge improvement, when i tested it out on my bed it was able to crawl up and over pillows with ease, i even set up one of those aluminium macbook laptops at about a 45 degree angle and was able to drive up it and when i stopped at the top it slid down slowly without the wheels spinning so the setup i made had enough torque to create a drag break useful for crawling. however the lowest revs i could achieve were just a bit too high for a crawl speed so i guess im going to give one of those geared motors a try.

Also for those interested ive made a leafspring setup with new shocks and extended the wheelbase out to about 155mm and am planning on making a lwb body for it so maybe like a pickup or wagon, haven't fully decided yet but ill be making a build thread in the near future
crawler will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:35 PM   #257
Rock Stacker

Hi has anyone tried to fit an Orlando F150 1/35 reduced gear motor onto this D90? I have the Orlando F150 and there is plenty of torque from the motor. But it's for a 1/35 rig and is all plastic. So lighter and smaller wheels.

Link to the Orlando F150 motor.

Orlandoo OH35P01 KIT RC Car Parts Gear Motor Sale - Banggood Mobile

http://imgapp.banggood.com/thumb/vie...KU206790-4.jpg

This is the 120rpm one, but a 200rpm one might just be good for the D90?

Last edited by Aeronuclear; 04-09-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Aeronuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:35 PM   #258
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler will View Post
If you happened to see the modification i made to my transfer case it allowed for a divorced setup. i used a losi trail trekker motor and trans which seemed to be a huge improvement, when i tested it out on my bed it was able to crawl up and over pillows with ease, i even set up one of those aluminium macbook laptops at about a 45 degree angle and was able to drive up it and when i stopped at the top it slid down slowly without the wheels spinning so the setup i made had enough torque to create a drag break useful for crawling. however the lowest revs i could achieve were just a bit too high for a crawl speed so i guess im going to give one of those geared motors a try.

Also for those interested ive made a leafspring setup with new shocks and extended the wheelbase out to about 155mm and am planning on making a lwb body for it so maybe like a pickup or wagon, haven't fully decided yet but ill be making a build thread in the near future
Did you try a bigger spur and or smaller pinion with the divorced setup?
Old 04-09-2016, 06:12 PM   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
Did you try a bigger spur and or smaller pinion with the divorced setup?
if your referring to the pinion gear on the losi transmission i have the smallest one installed on the motor and what ever spur gear it comes with in it
crawler will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:15 PM   #260
I wanna be Dave

Now that it's divorced you should easily be able to fit the 59t and 60t spur gear from the losi micro rally/SCT. Should be a nice improvement. More torque and slower speed.

RC4WDs New Micro Crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BWD Micro Wheel Weight System for the new Losi Micro Crawler! billet works Vendors Market 19 10-18-2010 05:42 PM
~Petition for RC4WDs next 1.9, 3.7" tall tire~ STANG KILLA SS Tires and Wheels 105 02-03-2008 02:17 AM
RC4WDs Aluminum 2.2 Hilux wheels SuperSancho Tires and Wheels 5 04-29-2006 12:42 PM