Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: exceed rc maxstone 16 upgrades and tuning?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #541

Default Re: exceed rc maxstone 16 upgrades and tuning?

okay so can someone tell me the best and cheapest motor, esc, and servo for this truck and give me websites?
Exceed4Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #542
Rock Crawler

The stock esc works just fine. Unless you killed it somehow. The motor on mine was the junk part about it. If you are looking for a faster motor the losi mini t upgrade motors fit right in. If you want more torque im not sure. Its hard to find 280 can motors with higher winds. Im still running the stock servo too but if you need an upgrade look for metal gears and high torque

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Jcplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:56 AM   #543
Rock Stacker

If you upgrade to a standard size servo, just about any metal geared one will do. My son and I are running Align DS610's (166oz/.08sec) which are way overkill but being able to snap the tires lock to lock in under a tenth of a second is awesome.

The stock speed control's reverse function went out on me and I put in an ESC from the Losi MRC which wasn't much of an upgrade since the reverse on the Losi ESC is only about half power.
CBR74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #544
Rock Stacker

Correction: The Losi ESC was fine, it was the Exceed transmitter that was the culprit. I switched to my KO EX5-UR and now all is well.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #545
Rock Crawler

Those exceed tx are adjustable. It might still be ok and just needed adjustments. I liked it cause i would turn down the throttle when my daughter used it

Old 10-30-2013, 07:29 AM   #546
Rock Stacker

It has throttle dual rate adjustment but that does nothing to correct the reverse problem.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #547
Rock Crawler

Here is some pics of my maxstone 16 with a home made scale aluminum chassis

Old 11-01-2013, 02:30 AM   #548
Rock Stacker

Great work on your scaler.

Here's my boy and I playing follow the leader at Werx RC.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:53 AM   #549
Rock Crawler

Nice! I wish i had a place like that to go. My jeep still has a lot more stuff to be done before i consider it a scaler lol. Its a fun little project tho. Interior and lights are next i think.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #550
Rock Stacker

Twisted..

Old 11-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #551
Quarry Creeper

So I recently got a MS 16 and had the opportunity to run it yesterday. ....

Wow, in stock trim it is an awesome rollover machine....lol

Good thing I don't plan on keeping it stock... It will be a scaler soon.
fla_cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #552
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla_cracker View Post
So I recently got a MS 16 and had the opportunity to run it yesterday. ....

Wow, in stock trim it is an awesome rollover machine....lol

Good thing I don't plan on keeping it stock... It will be a scaler soon.
That is what makes it fun. My son loves driving his up a steep slop just to see if he can get it to flip and land back on all fours. Then again his throttle control is pretty much stop/full forward!
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #553
Quarry Creeper

Anyone know off the top of their head what the gear ratio of the axles are?

The hard body I have won't fit right over the transmission so...... I'm probly gonna use a 1/16 traxxas tranny as a Tcase and put the motor under the hood. So I'm trying to get the gearing close or better than stock.

I'm trying to figure if it would be better to also use the stock tranny or set up something with a spur gear and motor.

Any sudgestions...???
fla_cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #554
Rock Stacker

14 tooth pinion and 38 tooth ring supposedly. 2.71:1
Old 11-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #555
Rock Stacker

I got some new servo mount uprights because I was not happy with the ones that came with the new mount. They were designed for mini servos, not standard size. These new ones have larger mounting holes so I redrilled smaller ones and moved the mounting position back a little. They also look really cool.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #556
Rock Stacker

Also did a little recon with MIP. It doubles the cost but for those not willing or able to ream the MRC CVD drive cups, you can buy the MIP 10101 drive cups and they will slide right onto the 5mm outputs of the EMS and connect to the MRC CVD bones but you do have to shave down the base a little so the set screw will engage the flat on the output shaft. It's a lot easier than reaming the drive cups straight and true.

Last edited by CBR74; 11-18-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #557
Rock Crawler

Just made a new front bumper. Its my first time working with brass so its not perfect but im happy with it. Rear bumper with spare tire carrier and sliders are next

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #558
RCC Addict

Nice rigs..this is the 1/10 scale Maxstone trail rig im building

The Exceed is overlooked I think but they are built just a good as most rigs and accept a lot of aftermarket items.
Stock parts are very inexpensive as well.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:21 AM   #559
Rock Stacker

I found that I could forgive the Exceed's shortcomings because of its low cost until I got around to opening the transmission. Inside it I found one of the dumbest pieces of RC engineering ever. The EMS transmission is destined for a short life and there is no easy work around other than replacing it with a Losi transmission. The reason is, the counter gear (the middle one between the topshaft and the locker) is supported by an inner bearing on one side but not the other. Conversely the gear shaft is supported by a bearing in the transmission case on the opposing side but not on both sides. Here's the problem with that... one or the other of those items has to spin and when they do, you have steel spinning in bare plastic or bare plastic spinning on steel. Either way, you get friction, heat, and accelerated wear. Because of the greater surface are of the inside of the gear, under load the gear remains static to the shaft and the shaft spins in the bearing on the one side and in the bare plastic transmission case on the other. As the one side begins to wear, it throws the mesh out of alignment causing grinding and eventually complete failure. Anyone running brushless or who has a lot of runtime on their rig has likely already seen this phenomenon.

I've replaced my EMS transmission with one from an MRC. The gear ratios are exactly the same and you can use the EMS locker in the Losi trans with just a little shimming to take up some internal side to side play. The MRC uses a brass top gear and a nylon counter gear that is supported by a shaft that spins in bearings on both sides of the case. Using the EMS locker in the MRC case simplifies the assembly because the EMS is only 3 pieces: gear, shaft and cross pin instead of the 5 pieces used in the MRC locker.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:59 AM   #560
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR74 View Post
I found that I could forgive the Exceed's shortcomings because of its low cost until I got around to opening the transmission. Inside it I found one of the dumbest pieces of RC engineering ever. The EMS transmission is destined for a short life and there is no easy work around other than replacing it with a Losi transmission. The reason is, the counter gear (the middle one between the topshaft and the locker) is supported by an inner bearing on one side but not the other. Conversely the gear shaft is supported by a bearing in the transmission case on the opposing side but not on both sides. Here's the problem with that... one or the other of those items has to spin and when they do, you have steel spinning in bare plastic or bare plastic spinning on steel. Either way, you get friction, heat, and accelerated wear. Because of the greater surface are of the inside of the gear, under load the gear remains static to the shaft and the shaft spins in the bearing on the one side and in the bare plastic transmission case on the other. As the one side begins to wear, it throws the mesh out of alignment causing grinding and eventually complete failure. Anyone running brushless or who has a lot of runtime on their rig has likely already seen this phenomenon.

I've replaced my EMS transmission with one from an MRC. The gear ratios are exactly the same and you can use the EMS locker in the Losi trans with just a little shimming to take up some internal side to side play. The MRC uses a brass top gear and a nylon counter gear that is supported by a shaft that spins in bearings on both sides of the case. Using the EMS locker in the MRC case simplifies the assembly because the EMS is only 3 pieces: gear, shaft and cross pin instead of the 5 pieces used in the MRC locker.

Ill be replacing mine with an Axial Trans if I have problems with it.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote