Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: exceed rc maxstone 16 upgrades and tuning?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2014, 07:54 PM   #601
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: exceed rc maxstone 16 upgrades and tuning?

The stock pinion is 14 tooth with a grub screw. Really small allen wrench...... I would have gotten the pakage deal but I already have a program card from my SCT racing stuff. And as always HobbyPartz has really fast shipping, 3 days to FL on standard shipping...
fla_cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2014, 10:22 PM   #602
Rock Stacker

Thanks again. I might get a 12t pinion just for testing.
BarelyCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #603
Rock Stacker

fla_cracker, another question I neglected to ask dawned on me last night. Do you know the measurements of the new screws you used to mount the motor? I could order some in case I don't have any in my parts box.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:46 PM   #604
Quarry Creeper

No sorry, I just dug around my screw bin till I found some that worked......They were about 1/4-5/16 of an inch longer than the stock ones, but I wouldn't even take a guess at the diameter.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:21 AM   #605
Rock Stacker

No worries. Probably 2mm or 2.5mm.

Last edited by BarelyCrawlin; 03-16-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:11 PM   #606
Rock Stacker

Got the EMS 16 today. Found some interesting items. In the motor is still supposed to be a 260 or 280, it's stuffed in a 370 size can (25mm x 31mm). The diffs had a little bit of grease present, but nothing in the trans. Even with the heavier spring in the driver side rear shock, the twist remains. For now, 50W oil and a 3/16" spacer will do to keep it in check. Shock relocation and linkage changes are on the horizon. Electronics have been relocated and a lipo is going on board tomorrow.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:15 PM   #607
Rock Stacker

For those wanting to place a spring spacer as a temporary fix to reduce torque twist, finding the correct size commercial spacer may be difficult. While a zip tie will work, it leaves the spring at an angle. Hard plastic tubing having an inside diameter of 9mm or 3/8 inch cut to a thickness of 3/16 to 1/4 inch will work. This method does require removing the shock unless the tubing can be split and still retain its shape when on the shock body. This little crawler does go quite well. BTW, the ESC and receiver are "stickered" as waterproof but not the servo. Not sure I really trust that assertion, though.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:21 PM   #608
Rock Stacker

Got busy and built an indoor crawling course from boxes, spray foam and 'rough surface' spray paint. It's made up of three 2ft x 4ft sections that can be moved around to make different configurations. Maybe I'll make one more if the wife allows. Just went through two lipo batteries trying it out. I made it difficult, maybe too difficult! I'm tired now. Fun stuff. Now to make a couple of skid plates for the diffs - the front one will hide the weight needed to help the front end traction.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:17 PM   #609
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarelyCrawlin View Post
Got busy and built an indoor crawling course from boxes, spray foam and 'rough surface' spray paint. It's made up of three 2ft x 4ft sections that can be moved around to make different configurations. Maybe I'll make one more if the wife allows. Just went through two lipo batteries trying it out. I made it difficult, maybe too difficult! I'm tired now. Fun stuff. Now to make a couple of skid plates for the diffs - the front one will hide the weight needed to help the front end traction.

Pics of the course please.....
Old 04-01-2014, 07:42 PM   #610
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla_cracker View Post
Pics of the course please.....
Comin' soon...
Old 04-03-2014, 03:42 PM   #611
Rock Stacker

Pics of the indoor course and the front "weighted" skid plate. The course is made from crack and crevice sealing spray foam, boxes, cardboard cut to shape, and "texture" spray paint. The 2'X4' sections make for easy moving around for different configurations. It's not pretty but it works well and is challenging. The skid plate is handy for sliding over bumps and for hiding the front weights made from 3/8" bolts (3 pieces). Though the pics are oriented correctly on my computer, I can't seem to get them correct when posting. Head tilt is in order.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2014, 11:04 AM   #612
Rock Stacker

Put a New Bright yellow Jeep Wrangler body on the EMS just for fun. It's a bit top heavy of course as the body is much heavier, but looks nice. Left the interior in it for now, but may snatch it out to lower the COG. Bought the whole "toy" for $20 on Amazon. Used the body and have some spare parts that might come in handy in the future.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:21 PM   #613
Quarry Creeper

Update time......

OK, so I finally got the SlickRock tires and wheels in. Great looking tire at a great price...but how do they work????

Well I went out to the trails with both trucks, MRC scaler and modified SCX10, and I gotta say I am really impressed... The swampers are a little short but they grip good. The MRC went every where the SCX went. The only exception being sidehilling....stupid huge battery I'm using is too high and wide. Kills my COG.....

So heres what we all really want...... Pics...

This pics is the new swampers infront of the 1.55 IROKs. Swampers are 3.7, IROKs are 4.3 I believe

Here is a very short vid to show off the swampers....

More testing - YouTube

So after some more messing around and the thought of a comp on sunday.....I did some mods to make the IROKs work. Mostly because of the ground clearance increase and approach angle gains........Steering gave me some headaches but I got it to work. Not as scale as I like but for a comp it's all about proformance.....

.....giggidy.....

This is the ground clearance comparo with my SCX Left and MRC right..... same size tires... 5/16th inch difference!!!!!

first attempt at steering fix....and CMS.....What??!!! and FULL SIZE servo

And an attempt at axle truss due to breaking the stock plastic...

The modding will continue until awesomeness is reached....

Last edited by fla_cracker; 04-10-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:17 PM   #614
RCC Addict

Dont supposr u could compare those to a rover could ya
klampykixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:49 PM   #615
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
Dont supposr u could compare those to a rover could ya

Um.... I assume your talking about the SlickRock Swampers to an HB Rover. And unfortunately I cannot....

BUT.......it appears the 1.9 Rovers have a listed diameter of 3.7" , via google, which is the same as the SlickRock Swampers

Hope that helps....
Old 04-11-2014, 03:26 AM   #616
RCC Addict

cool. yeh that helps thanks.
klampykixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #617
Rock Stacker

Wow, that's a lot of tire! Is that truss holding the upper links? I assume the lowers are still by the shocks. Do you get any side-to-side "slop" with the setup?
Old 04-14-2014, 08:33 PM   #618
Rock Crawler

Curious to see how well the axles hold up to tires that big. That a lot of tire for such small axles. Let us know if you have any problems with the gears
Jcplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:16 AM   #619
Quarry Creeper

Sorry fellas........I never made it to the comp. Family stuff came up and changed my plans. Aaaannnnnnddddd.....I didn't like how they looked so back to the smaller Swampers. Even though they are smaller they still give the same clearance as the SCX with 1.9s

The truck needed some lowering anyways to help the COG. I also managed to move the battery to in between the rear frame rails. Under the bed.

The truss didn't hold with only 2 mounting points so I had to add another and move the upper links outside. Yes the lowers are in stock locations. I have had no problem with side to side movement.

Sorry, working today so no pics...... I will post those tomorrow.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:09 PM   #620
Rock Stacker

Rats! Was just looking for the parts to do the 4 link and both Nitrorcx and Hobbypartz don't have any ball studs of either type in stock. Will the Losi MRC ball studs work with the EMS ball links? Thanks.