Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: exceed rc maxstone 16 upgrades and tuning?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #521
Pebble Pounder

I'm bout to purchase the gt3b but I'm also going to need a motor , servo, esc and battery. I'm trying to decide to go brushless or not but I don't have a clue as to what ones I should get.

I want to do some trails and back yard bashing in backyard but also be able to slow it down and crawl when I wanna do technical courses..

Has anyone found a good motor/ESC/gear combo that gives you best of both ?

sent from old rotary phone using tapatalk
xsputnikx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2013, 07:41 AM   #522
Quarry Creeper

Default exceed rc maxstone 16 upgrades and tuning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsputnikx View Post
I'm bout to purchase the gt3b but I'm also going to need a motor , servo, esc and battery. I'm trying to decide to go brushless or not but I don't have a clue as to what ones I should get.

I want to do some trails and back yard bashing in backyard but also be able to slow it down and crawl when I wanna do technical courses..

Has anyone found a good motor/ESC/gear combo that gives you best of both ?

A 370 brushed should give you the wheelspin you want, and, it will allow you to use the stock esc. But if you want to go lipo (check if stock esc can do lipo) you might need to upgrade your esc. And for that I recommend a castle micro sidewinder. It is small and compact, and will run both brushed and brushless. If the $10 370 brushed motor dosnt satisfy you, you can put in a brushless motor with the same esc. My EzRun system needs geared down to reduce cogging, im using a 10t pinion.

Servo, if you see the need to upgrade, get a full size servo. Buying a mini servo again, you wont see a difference IMO.

Im running a turnigy nano-tech 460mah 2s 25c battery and I can run for 20mins per pack.
MiniMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #523
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMorris View Post
A 370 brushed should give you the wheelspin you want, and, it will allow you to use the stock esc. But if you want to go lipo (check if stock esc can do lipo) you might need to upgrade your esc. And for that I recommend a castle micro sidewinder. It is small and compact, and will run both brushed and brushless. If the $10 370 brushed motor dosnt satisfy you, you can put in a brushless motor with the same esc. My EzRun system needs geared down to reduce cogging, im using a 10t pinion.

Servo, if you see the need to upgrade, get a full size servo. Buying a mini servo again, you wont see a difference IMO.

Im running a turnigy nano-tech 460mah 2s 25c battery and I can run for 20mins per pack.
Well I have to buy a ESC anyway I picked my truck up second hand and the electronics on it were shot so I'm just using the chassis

Old 07-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #524
Rock Stacker

Default Re: exceed rc maxstone 16 upgrades and tuning?

Well you guys this info is fantastic, I have the MS 1/10 and its my first RC ever and have been having fun with it, wish there was a following like the 1/16, keep up the great work. I have learned a lot reading all 27 pages so far.
Fiftygrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #525
Pebble Pounder

Decided on a hitec 645mg full size servo for my maxstone I think I'm ditching the chassis going to fab me something up I was going for a premade chassis but it seems like everyone I find is no longer being made or out of stock.

I had a question about the 4 links but I want to streach the wheel base out a little bit I saw how to do the 4 link conversion but what if I wanted to use the bottom links for the 4 links and get some a little longer for the bottom connectors ? Would I be better to fab my own? Need good solid info on how to do this before I go purchase materials

Old 07-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #526

I'm new to the RC world. Bought a maxstone 16 to learn the basics. Had it a couple weeks and have already transformed it. I upgraded to a brushed 370 motor, traxxas esc, standard size metal gear servo, modded the tires in a few ways, lowered the electronics and cg, 3s lipo, and made custom aluminium mounts. I really enjoy this rc.
Attached Images

derrickalda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #527
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickalda View Post
I'm new to the RC world. Bought a maxstone 16 to learn the basics. Had it a couple weeks and have already transformed it. I upgraded to a brushed 370 motor, traxxas esc, standard size metal gear servo, modded the tires in a few ways, lowered the electronics and cg, 3s lipo, and made custom aluminium mounts. I really enjoy this rc.

shoot! looks good man! i want to send you my sons exceed so you can't pimp it also haha
PSSUPERSTORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:22 PM   #528
Pebble Pounder

Well I "was" excited to get home to find the news my hitec 645mg had arrived until I opened the package to find I purchased a used servo that had free play in the gears and I paid new price. Luckily the auction had a 14 day return policy. Still waiting on my fs gt3b to arrive snail mail. Along with my parts for the 4 link I'm bored since I can't do anything till parts arrive anyway

Old 07-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #529
Pebble Pounder

Wanted to share my chassis design with you guys for my maxstone I couldn't find one like I wanted so I am making one out of abs with my 3d printer

Old 07-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #530
Pebble Pounder

My fs gt3b arrived and it was better than expected thanks for the recommendation still waiting on my castle creations sidewinder micro decided to take your guys advice on the 370 firebolt motor. Got a hitec 645mg to replace the stripped micro.

Stupid question ? With the derlin chassis that have a rod in the middle for spacing the plates what rod material do I use? I tried using 3/16 brake line cause it matches the thickness of the end link rods however there was not enough material left to thread 3mm screws into it

The front rod right now is held in place to show example

Old 08-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #531
Pebble Pounder

Here is mine after a few small changes converted 3 to 4 link I added a full sized servo micro sidewinder ESC with a 370 brushed 2 cell 500mah lipo few things I've noticed after a couple trial runs I need to dial it down it's almost too fast for crawling. Trying to figure out a better way to lower the cg and less cogging

Old 08-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #532
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsputnikx View Post

Here is mine after a few small changes converted 3 to 4 link I added a full sized servo micro sidewinder ESC with a 370 brushed 2 cell 500mah lipo few things I've noticed after a couple trial runs I need to dial it down it's almost too fast for crawling. Trying to figure out a better way to lower the cg and less cogging

Use a smaller pinion.
MiniMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #533
Pebble Pounder

I will try that . IMA turn on the launch control to see if that helps any as well.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #534
Rock Crawler

Here is my maxstone 16. New bright body and just a few tweaks and some new tires. Crawls great for what it is and besides changing out the motor and making adjustments it has never given me any problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Jcplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #535
Rock Stacker

I really like how the jeep body looks on this, I have a 1/8 scale maxstone with pitbull tires and a dodge body, I was leaning toward a wraith next but may get the 1/16 stone just for something to work on, at my age I find it just as much fun working on these as driving them, cheer`s
Fiftygrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #536

Will 1.9 size tires fit on the Maxstone? Meaning will the stock ESC and Gears and etc. be able to pull the tire?
Exceed4Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #537
Rock Crawler

I tried some 1.9s but they looked way to big. As long as you have low gearing they should be fine. The only thing i would watch out for besides temps would be that bigger tires mean more leverage on the axle components. Just watch it for when it gets in a bind and i think it will be ok if you dont abuse it to much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Jcplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #538
Rock Stacker

Hi everybody. I'm new to crawling but not new to RC. I started my RC hobby when the Clodbuster was new. I've owned scores of vehicles from 1/8th scale Nitro Buggies to 1/18th scales. I've built a dozen T-Maxxes and I still have a fully hopped up RC10GT. Recently I found a local place called Werx RC that has an indoor crawler course. They carry the Exceed product line including replacement parts. I bought an EMS for my 10 year old and I to compete with in the weekly competitions. So far I've completely rearranged the electronics and re-positioned the shocks, installed stiffer springs and 50 weight shock oil. I modified and installed a set of MIP center CVD's from the MRC. (They just need to be reamed to 5mm) I milled a custom servo plate and installed an Align DS610 for steering. (way overkill btw) I put on a set of 1.9 RC4WD steel beadlocks and HB Rover tires. The RC4WD wheels are designed for 5mm axles so to take up the gap I punched the center races out of some old 4X8 bearings. I made a steering bar out of 3/16" brass rod and installed some MRC bent links on the front to get better turning radius. I just got through doing the fuel tubing trick in the front axle to keep the dogbones seated in the drive cups. The rules of the Werx crawling competitions only allow tire, wheel, and servo changes beyond normal tuning. We have to stay with stock motor and stock ESC or straight linear aftermarket ESC. No digs, no brushless, no 4WS. It makes it more of a true driver's comp instead of who has the most $$$. I'll have to get some pics hosted so I can put them up.
CBR74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #539
Rock Stacker

Hi everybody! Read all the great info in here. I bought an EMS for my son and I to compete with at an LHS called Werx RC. My son just bought his own yesterday. So far I've replaced the steering servo with an Align DS610 first using a homemade mount and now using a Hot Racing mount for the MRC. I have modified MIP center CVD's and modified 3Racing CVD's in front. I used a set of MRC bent links on the front and corrected the Ackerman by drilling new holes in the knuckles and making my own drag link out of 3/16" brass. I relocated the shocks to the inner corners of the chassis plate and moved the ESC to the rear axle. I'm in the process of doing away with the radio plate completely and mounting the battery above the front 3 link and the receiver.. somewhere. I'm using RC4WD 1.9 steel beadlocks with Hot Bodies Rover tires. The wheels are designed for 5mm axles so I punched the inner races out of some old 4X8 bearings to make spacers.

[/URL]

Last edited by CBR74; 10-20-2013 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Add pics
Old 10-23-2013, 06:51 AM   #540
Rock Stacker

The new aluminum goodies came in. As discovered before the MRC chubs capture the outer bearing and so the axle housings have to by shortened by about 90 thousandths per side. It's short work with a flat file. The GPM chubs, 3 Racing CVD's and Exceed knuckles work perfectly together.