Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: SORRCA Competition Rules Release - Class Specs and scale points

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 10:07 PM   #141
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Some of yall may not realize that it's pretty hard to get 20 different people to agree on anything. For about 2 months now we've all spent our evenings beating each other to death trying to hash these things out.

Myself, I'm completely exhausted and only trying to be helpful based on my understanding of the rules.

The things that yall do not understand, we ARE working to clarify.
So we do appreciate AND want input ... but please try to remember that we are all tired, overworked and unpaid. A little kindness goes a long way.

Last edited by Locked Up; 01-09-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #142
Oliver Custom Knives

WOW , 8 pages read and understood ...

First of all , I want to say " Thank You " to all of the committee members that put their time and effort into creating these rules. GREAT JOB GUYS

I dont really agree witht he Class 3 Dig/4ws rule....I dont know that much about 1:1 crawling , but do they get a penalty for using their dig or 4ws ? I think that is just part of the class. If you think its that benifical , then you will spend the money/time on installing it in your rig.
Come on......"Class 3" ....almost an "Open" class. If your building a truck for this class , you got a few more bucks involved anyway. Its not a requirement , but an option.
I can , and want to , see keeping it scale. Ie: hiding electronics , tire size's , demensional req's .
But dig and 4WS are the coolest part of the 1:1 rigs I dream about. All that stuff adds weight to our little rigs , it may not be that benifical to have it , but I dont want to get penalized when I decide to try and use it.

Thanks again guys
DwaneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:17 PM   #143
RCC Addict

Scale Points -5.1 full width bumper with stinger, -4 or is the stinger -1 only if thats all the bumper you have?
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:32 PM   #144
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwaneO View Post
WOW , 8 pages read and understood ...

First of all , I want to say " Thank You " to all of the committee members that put their time and effort into creating these rules. GREAT JOB GUYS
First, thanks. Every time I hear that it makes me smile.

Quote:
I dont really agree witht he Class 3 Dig/4ws rule....I dont know that much about 1:1 crawling , but do they get a penalty for using their dig or 4ws ? I think that is just part of the class. If you think its that benifical , then you will spend the money/time on installing it in your rig.
Come on......"Class 3" ....almost an "Open" class. If your building a truck for this class , you got a few more bucks involved anyway. Its not a requirement , but an option.
I can , and want to , see keeping it scale. Ie: hiding electronics , tire size's , demensional req's .
But dig and 4WS are the coolest part of the 1:1 rigs I dream about. All that stuff adds weight to our little rigs , it may not be that benefical to have it , but I dont want to get penalized when I decide to try and use it.

Thanks again guys
Due to the fact that the whole dig and rear steer thing is a huge step up in performance and is a big adjustment for alot of people that think it has no place in scale, the committee thought that we'd take it slow for the first year. We didn't want dig and rear steer to be a necessity right from the get go. When we revise the rules for 2012, depending on how it goes, the penalty may drop off or disappear. We just wanted to take small steps at first. It will be penalty free to use them in the TTC and KOH type competitions, so if you're building a new rig, you might as well do it right the first time.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:37 PM   #145
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
Scale Points -5.1 full width bumper with stinger, -4 or is the stinger -1 only if thats all the bumper you have?
The bumper is -3 without a stinger, -1 extra for the stinger. If you only have a stinger attached to the frame then you get a -1.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:20 AM   #146
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked Up View Post
Some of yall may not realize that it's pretty hard to get 20 different people to agree on anything. For about 2 months now we've all spent our evenings beating each other to death trying to hash these things out.

Myself, I'm completely exhausted and only trying to be helpful based on my understanding of the rules.

The things that yall do not understand, we ARE working to clarify.
So we do appreciate AND want input ... but please try to remember that we are all tired, overworked and unpaid. A little kindness goes a long way.
I know what you mean, I've been on the USRCCA committee going on 4 years. I know the work that it takes.
I appreciate all the work you guys have done.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:57 AM   #147
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Like Tim and the rest of the committee members, we really appreciate hearing this. It's been a LOT of work and countless hours we've all devoted to this. And like Locked Up said, a little kindness/appreciation is certainly appreciated on our end.

One thing I'd like to address. I've seen several people mention how certain features are "common in the 1:1 world" or that a certain rule may hinder the build of a certain vehicle they had in mind.

PLEASE keep in mind we were assigned the tremendously difficult task of making a set of rules that will satisfy as many people as possible while allowing as many different styles of trucks as possible. It was harder than you may think and in the process we needed to make decisions that we felt would make for the fairest rule set we could. Lines had to be drawn somewhere in the name of fairness.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:43 AM   #148
~THE SCALE SHOP~

great job guys!
time to start new builds i guess, i think all my scalers are now useless
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:14 AM   #149
~THE SCALE SHOP~

can 1.55 tires be put on 1.9 wheels in class 1?
Old 01-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #150
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
Yes.. nothing is changed on the tire.. You could stretch them on to 2.2's if you like..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #151
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Sure!
Old 01-10-2011, 12:15 PM   #152
~THE SCALE SHOP~

can you notch out the flat bed for the tire in class one? as long as infront of , and behind the tire is cab width?
Old 01-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #153
Old guy

Quote:
can you notch out the flat bed for the tire in class one? as long as infront of , and behind the tire is cab width?
Rule 4.2 says all the way back for the flatbed. I would say no.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:35 PM   #154
I wanna be Dave

Cory, I would add full width fenders integrated into the flat bed, like this. Ignore the exposed tire in the pic, though.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #155
~THE SCALE SHOP~

so the answer is yes? as long as we cover the notch out with a cab/flatbed width fender?

edit: i also read somewhere flatbeds were exempt from the 1/4" rule in class 1?

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 01-10-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #156
Oliver Custom Knives

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
First, thanks. Every time I hear that it makes me smile.

Due to the fact that the whole dig and rear steer thing is a huge step up in performance and is a big adjustment for alot of people that think it has no place in scale, the committee thought that we'd take it slow for the first year. We didn't want dig and rear steer to be a necessity right from the get go. When we revise the rules for 2012, depending on how it goes, the penalty may drop off or disappear. We just wanted to take small steps at first. It will be penalty free to use them in the TTC and KOH type competitions, so if you're building a new rig, you might as well do it right the first time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Like Tim and the rest of the committee members, we really appreciate hearing this. It's been a LOT of work and countless hours we've all devoted to this. And like Locked Up said, a little kindness/appreciation is certainly appreciated on our end.

One thing I'd like to address. I've seen several people mention how certain features are "common in the 1:1 world" or that a certain rule may hinder the build of a certain vehicle they had in mind.

Thats why we call them "scalers"

PLEASE keep in mind we were assigned the tremendously difficult task of making a set of rules that will satisfy as many people as possible while allowing as many different styles of trucks as possible. It was harder than you may think and in the process we needed to make decisions that we felt would make for the fairest rule set we could. Lines had to be drawn somewhere in the name of fairness.

Looks great guys , time to start building a TTC/KOH Class 3 rig. I'm going to get it right this time.

Thanks again.
DwaneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #157
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
so the answer is yes? as long as we cover the notch out with a cab/flatbed width fender?

edit: i also read somewhere flatbeds were exempt from the 1/4" rule in class 1?
You may notch the flatbed out as long as the notch is covered like in the picture......

And no tire coverage exceptions, you must have tire coverage no matter what.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #158
I wanna be Dave

Question on Chassis length for class 2:

The chassis must be 3" longer than the wheelbase, and can include bumpers but not stingers or winch plates.

My question is: if the frame is all one piece, and longer than the body by enough to fit a winch on the bumper, where does the measurement start? At the end of the frame rails? At the base of the grille? What about a rear winch plate? Same thing?

Is this going to be one of those "if it's close enough, I'm not getting the ruler out, if it's questionable though, start disassembling so I can get an accurate chassis measurement" type of things.

I ask because I am having a hard time getting the chassis to 3" over the wheelbase, and want to know what is legal to add to get to the correct length.

Example of the bumper I am trying to make (ignore everything from the grill back in this pic, I'm planning a C2 build with full body, etc.):

http://www.bluetorchfab.com/wp-conte...1-DSC_3842.jpg

The tough part comes from having the slightly stretched wheelbase and still getting 3 more inches out of the chassis. Even if I bring the wheelbase back in (only stretched about 1/2") it's still difficult getting the chassis right.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:16 PM   #159
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
Question on Chassis length for class 2:

The chassis must be 3" longer than the wheelbase, and can include bumpers but not stingers or winch plates.

My question is: if the frame is all one piece, and longer than the body by enough to fit a winch on the bumper, where does the measurement start? At the end of the frame rails? At the base of the grille? What about a rear winch plate? Same thing?

Is this going to be one of those "if it's close enough, I'm not getting the ruler out, if it's questionable though, start disassembling so I can get an accurate chassis measurement" type of things.

I ask because I am having a hard time getting the chassis to 3" over the wheelbase, and want to know what is legal to add to get to the correct length.

Example of the bumper I am trying to make (ignore everything from the grill back in this pic, I'm planning a C2 build with full body, etc.):

http://www.bluetorchfab.com/wp-conte...1-DSC_3842.jpg

The tough part comes from having the slightly stretched wheelbase and still getting 3 more inches out of the chassis. Even if I bring the wheelbase back in (only stretched about 1/2") it's still difficult getting the chassis right.
What's your wheelbase?
Old 01-10-2011, 09:22 PM   #160
I wanna be Dave

8.5"... Stock MRC wheelbase.

An idea of the build:

Other than the chassis, it fits within specs for Class 2 (with the 1" boatsides counting towards the total height.)

Last edited by monkeyracer; 01-10-2011 at 09:44 PM.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/scale-comp-rules/290744-sorrca-competition-rules-release-class-specs-scale-points.html
Posted By For Type Date
Official new scale rules 2011 - Nostr Forums This thread Refback 10-07-2011 06:20 AM