Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: New Incision wheels coming....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2016, 12:35 AM   #341
Rock Stacker

Default Re: New Incision wheels coming....

I am still loving the new Incision Method wheels, zero issues with my Proline Flat Iron XL tires. But I am wondering if anyone else is having an issue with the wheel nut backing out? I am doing all sorts of crawling to speed runs but I to have tighten the nuts after a bit. Happens randomly to some or all tires. I have tried new wheel nuts and still an issue.

Don't recall this being a real issue before. I have added some washers tonight to give the nut more to grab onto and will try it out tomorrow. Not blaming the wheels, just can't figure out why the nuts keep backing out.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
woody131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2016, 01:54 AM   #342
I wanna be Dave

That's normal.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:03 AM   #343
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody131 View Post
I am still loving the new Incision Method wheels, zero issues with my Proline Flat Iron XL tires. But I am wondering if anyone else is having an issue with the wheel nut backing out?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I have been having that issue too. I had it with the stock beadlock wheels that came with the kit as well.

I think the fact that my Bomber can go so much faster than my other trucks is the cause.

I bought some Traxxas serrated wheel nuts. I use them and put a little blue thread lock on the axle threads. Seems to have solved the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sammy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:46 AM   #344
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
That's normal.

Yup. The slop between the 12mm hex and hub keeps working back and forth to loosen the nut. I'd normally recommend dumping the vp hubs in exchange for shift hubs but the incision wheels don't use the same slw 6 bolt pattern.

Good luck.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:14 AM   #345
Rock Stacker

Default New Incision wheels coming....

Hmm, I haven't noticed any play with my stock axial 12mm hex's with the Incision hubs yet but did see one of bearings might need to be replaced as it does seem to move around in the knuckle.

Edit: ok, so took off one wheel and see there is a tiny bit of play with the Hex in the hub. I didn't notice that before. Still like the wheels a lot, will try the blue thread loc and see if that helps.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Last edited by woody131; 08-14-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:13 AM   #346
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody131 View Post
Hmm, I haven't noticed any play with my stock axial 12mm hex's with the Incision hubs yet but did see one of bearings might need to be replaced as it does seem to move around in the knuckle.

Edit: ok, so took off one wheel and see there is a tiny bit of play with the Hex in the hub. I didn't notice that before. Still like the wheels a lot, will try the blue thread loc and see if that helps.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
Make sure your using serrated and nylon wheel nuts, then get a 7mm socket and socket wrench and tighten it as hard as you can. Blue loctite will help too.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:50 PM   #347
I wanna be Dave

Can someone who has an unmounted Incision 2.2 Method wheel please weight it for me, with hubs. Thanxs very much.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:28 PM   #348
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy J. View Post
I have been having that issue too. I had it with the stock beadlock wheels that came with the kit as well.

I think the fact that my Bomber can go so much faster than my other trucks is the cause.

I bought some Traxxas serrated wheel nuts. I use them and put a little blue thread lock on the axle threads. Seems to have solved the problem.
Faster vehicles with more powerful motors exacerbate the nut loosening. Do not use the serrated flanged nuts, they will chew up the face of the wheel. Blue Loctite and a good hex driver, get it nice and tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Yup. The slop between the 12mm hex and hub keeps working back and forth to loosen the nut. I'd normally recommend dumping the vp hubs in exchange for shift hubs but the incision wheels don't use the same slw 6 bolt pattern.

Good luck.
Yes. Hmmm. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:00 PM   #349
Quarry Creeper

Default New Incision wheels coming....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Faster vehicles with more powerful motors exacerbate the nut loosening. Do not use the serrated flanged nuts, they will chew up the face of the wheel. Blue Loctite and a good hex driver, get it nice and tight.

On these wheels the nut doesn't touch the wheel, just the hub, so the serrated nut doesn't harm the wheel. Same as with an SLW hub.

I ran the truck pretty hard yesterday and had no problems with the wheel nuts. Don't know if it was the serrated nuts, thread locker or both, but it worked!

Last edited by Sammy J.; 08-15-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Sammy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:21 PM   #350
I wanna be Dave

Ah, yes you're correct, but I'm still not a fan of the serrated nuts, they chew up the hubs. On other wheels I've found the smooth flanged nuts with blue loctite did the trick.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:24 PM   #351
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
Can someone who has an unmounted Incision 2.2 Method wheel please weight it for me, with hubs. Thanxs very much.
I am curious also.
Psycho-Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:43 PM   #352
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Ah, yes you're correct, but I'm still not a fan of the serrated nuts, they chew up the hubs. On other wheels I've found the smooth flanged nuts with blue loctite did the trick.
So maybe a stupid question but would a washer help to get more surface on the wheel and the hex for the nut to go againt with loctite help ? Or would a washer be useless and just the loctite help?
Old 08-15-2016, 06:50 PM   #353
Rock Crawler

I don't think that will remedy the fact that the male hex wiggles inside the female hex on the wheel slowly working it lose.

I was thinking about filling the female hex with something that would harden. Make a sort of cast of the hex inside the wheel. Not sure if anyone has tried that or if the amount of slop in the wheel and hex is enough to be filled.

What about wrapping the hex tightly with electrical tape? One wind may fill the gap?

Sent from a device in my hand that is smarter than me, and I don't know WTF I'm doing.

Last edited by DowntownScience; 08-15-2016 at 06:55 PM.
DowntownScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:59 PM   #354
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy J. View Post
On these wheels the nut doesn't touch the wheel, just the hub, so the serrated nut doesn't harm the wheel. Same as with an SLW hub.

I ran the truck pretty hard yesterday and had no problems with the wheel nuts. Don't know if it was the serrated nuts, thread locker or both, but it worked!

Try flipping yourself back over by turning the wheels and reversing throttle a few times! They'll still come loose.

Sent from a device in my hand that is smarter than me, and I don't know WTF I'm doing.
DowntownScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:15 PM   #355
Rock Crawler

Drm31078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:35 PM   #356
I wanna be Dave

Thank you Drm31078...is that one wheel sitting on a mirrored surface or two wheels stacked?
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:37 PM   #357
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
Thank you Drm31078...is that one wheel sitting on a mirrored surface or two wheels stacked?
Oh. Didn't even notice the reflection....1 wheel.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:29 AM   #358
Rock Crawler

Hubs are now available. $10 per pair.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:26 PM   #359
I wanna be Dave

My Method 1.9s came in last week and I finished up sanding the outer lip yesterday. The wheels came out pretty great, these will be finding a home on my SCX10 II.

I started with 320 grit (it took a while to get all the anodizing off) then I hit the wheels with 600 and 1500 grit for a super smooth finish. You can stop at 600 and still get a finish that is smooth enough for most people. Even just using the 320 grit left a finish that looks good unless you are really close and in the right light.

I tried to take a picture at each stage but the camera on my phone isn't good enough to capture the differences.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:05 PM   #360

The 1.9's are less than 1" wide, correct? If so, is there anyway to get them to 1.2"?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

New Incision wheels coming.... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Narrowing Stock XR10 wheels to fit Vanquish Incision Knuckles The gasman Tires and Wheels 8 01-13-2014 06:46 PM
vanquish XR-10 Incision Steering Knuckles and wheels bikeboy Axial XR10 35 03-07-2012 09:51 AM
VP Incision Steering Knuckles/Stock Wheels Mysterious Axial XR10 9 12-11-2011 05:18 PM
New 1.9 wheels coming Gozer Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 10-21-2008 02:59 AM