Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: 3D modeling/rendering software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2006, 09:12 PM   #161
Rock Crawler

If you do let me know. I'm not super great with it yet so its hard for me to get dimentions and angles and crap perfect, but I do well. I am putting together a scale chassis and I need to figure out linkage and stuff to see if I need to modify the design before I have it cut and find out its jacked and wont work.
xjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2006, 06:24 AM   #162
RCC Addict

Something else you can do is just use VERY basic dimensions. The only points that are critical for you are where the links and shocks mount correct? A very simply drawing like this will tell you how well your setup will work.

I have absolutely no idea what TLT axle dimensions are. I've only seen the axles once and it wasn't up close so dont take this drawing to serious. Just find the points where you want the links to mount on the axle and make sure those points on your drawing are correct. The only thing you might want to try to draw in are the largest parts like the Diff. Doesn't have to be perfect. Make it a square or something. As long as its there so you can make sure it doesn't interfere when the suspension flexes.

Another option is to just get out some cardboard and start making templates. With some good super glue and cardboard you can make anything, pretty sturdy too.

If you go to the home depot you can buy 6-32 threaded rod cheap. Just cut this rod to the link lengths you want (or think you need) then put some ball ends on the rod and try it out. If it doesn't work throw the rod away. It's like $3.00 for 36".

I did my first crawler all in CAD but I still mocked it up. Here is my clod crawler mocked up with the 6-32 rod. I had to drill out the traxxas rod ends a little to get the 6-32 to thread in. You might want to try 4-40.

I'm glad I did that because even though the CAD drawing worked out pretty well and got me started I still tweaked the link lengths and made them different.
NickRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:03 PM   #163
Rock Crawler

I may do that, cut it out of wood or something. This is the design, I have a delrin skid and its 13.5in long.

Old 10-25-2006, 02:02 PM   #164
RCC Addict

Definitely sharp looking! I hope it turns out. good looking start!

I've been working on a straight axle for a while now. Something on a big scale but looks scale too. And out of aluminum but use stock parts. This is as far as I am now.

This axle has an offset diff, uses dynamite cvds. the short side is a cvd from the center of a maxx, left side is a standard axle cvd. It uses the maxx spool and diff gears also. Overall it is 12.75" from end of axle stub to end of axle stub. I have a cetered diff style axle too, I think its around 16" wide...... I pitched the diff to help with drive line angles and will be incorporating upper link mounts on the diff cases. Shock and lower link mounts will use a collar system that just mounts to the axle tubes.

What do you guys think? What would you change/add/take away

Old 10-25-2006, 02:46 PM   #165
I wanna be Dave

so what is the best overall cost effective program I purchase to start designing parts. and use for drawing of truck grills etc for sticher prduction

small learing curve would be nice too
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:47 AM   #166
RCC Addict

I couldn't tell ya. I went to college for engineering and learned on autocad. I've never used a cheaper version of software. We didn't learn much in the way of 3d. I taught myself most of that. It takes a lot of learning and practice.

If you do find something, find a tutorial book that has exercises in it. It's the easiest way to learn. It's near impossible to get a program and just try to draw stuff.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:47 AM   #167
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRummy
I couldn't tell ya. I went to college for engineering and learned on autocad. I've never used a cheaper version of software. We didn't learn much in the way of 3d. I taught myself most of that. It takes a lot of learning and practice.

If you do find something, find a tutorial book that has exercises in it. It's the easiest way to learn. It's near impossible to get a program and just try to draw stuff.
many nowdays have instructional cd's with them. tutorials, IVe never doen well with reading and applying to problem....its thats A.D.D. in me
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:07 AM   #168
Pebble Pounder

Rockwerks,
For me, Solidworks was pretty easy to learn. The included tutorials can get you up and going fast, and the interface is user friendly. For my education, I'm currently working with Unigraphics, which is a b*tch to learn, and gives crappy feedback when you make a mistake. However, I haven't seen a single thing yet that I would not be able to make in Solidworks.

NickRummy, that is a render in Cinema4D, right? I'm trying to get the hang of it, to make better renders. Here is a simplified Clod axletube I made in Solidworks, and rendered in Cinema:

Edit: I found the TLT-axle on my HD. It was made by NeoSlayer. I don't know if he's still around, so I figured I'd post it. It's meant to be used for Solidworks, and consists of 2 files with axle-halves and an assembly. Good luck with it!
TLT Axle
Neo, if you have any problems with me posting this, PM me, and I'll remove it.

Last edited by Galladon; 10-26-2006 at 08:17 AM.
Galladon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:55 PM   #169
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRummy
Definitely sharp looking! I hope it turns out. good looking start!

I've been working on a straight axle for a while now. Something on a big scale but looks scale too. And out of aluminum but use stock parts. This is as far as I am now.

This axle has an offset diff, uses dynamite cvds. the short side is a cvd from the center of a maxx, left side is a standard axle cvd. It uses the maxx spool and diff gears also. Overall it is 12.75" from end of axle stub to end of axle stub. I have a cetered diff style axle too, I think its around 16" wide...... I pitched the diff to help with drive line angles and will be incorporating upper link mounts on the diff cases. Shock and lower link mounts will use a collar system that just mounts to the axle tubes.

What do you guys think? What would you change/add/take away

Nick, the only thing I would change is the width, is it possible to make it a slight bit narrower? That way it could be used in comps on some 2.2 rigs. Other than that it looks fantastic.

As far as learning these 3D cad programs, it can be a royal pain in the arse. I pretty much just draw and see what I come up with. I'm in no way a master but I'm doing my best to really bring some stuff to life. I'm working on something now that I'm keeping to myself untill its totally complete, it should be enough to blow some of you away.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:56 AM   #170
I wanna be Dave

I have cad14. I just want to learn how to do 2d stuff. It's not an easy program to learn.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:51 AM   #171
Pebble Pounder

nice axle there Nick, I have been working on something along the same line as yours. Mine is not as scale looking but very close to yours.

I just cant ever get access to the machine to make the parts LOL
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:16 AM   #172
RCC Addict

Hey guys, new to this thread.. I just got my hands on a copy of solidworks, and I was wondering if anyone had a mock up of a pede tranny and some tlt axles.
(My experience with 3d programs goes way back to lightwav when I was like 12, so i'm not new to 3D, but you can bet I'll be using the online tuitorals for solid.)
PaulEZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:51 AM   #173
Pebble Pounder

Well, about 4 posts above yours, I posted a Solidworks file for a TLT-axle.
Unfortunately, I don't have the time right now to model any parts, maybe in the future.
Galladon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 12:04 PM   #174
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galladon
Well, about 4 posts above yours, I posted a Solidworks file for a TLT-axle.
Unfortunately, I don't have the time right now to model any parts, maybe in the future.
Thats what I get for just looking at the pictures and skiming most of the posts...

Thanks Galladon!
PaulEZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:10 AM   #175
20K Club

anybody worked on a good 4 link set up (ball joints and all) in solidworks. Just starting to work on a ball joint but have not been able to get a 4-link to function properly. Can't seem to get everything mated correctly.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:17 AM   #176
RCC Addict

What do you mean ball joint? you mean ball joint as opposed to the bolt through style rod ends?
Old 11-20-2006, 01:19 PM   #177
20K Club

I was a little off on calling them "ball joints" I do mean the style of rod ends that most of us use. I am very good at AutoCAD (it is what I do) but am new to solidworks and just getting the hang of it. i just started working on a rod end but not far enough yet to see if it will or will not work. If anyone has set up a model with all the parts and relations done that would be awesome, it would help alot to set up almost anyother kind of suspension.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:21 PM   #178
RCC Addict

Can't you export your autocad files into solid works using a DXF file?

I have some of those ball ends drawn in autocad.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:26 PM   #179
20K Club

I guess I can import the file, I will have to try and add relations and see how it performs. Thanks for the kick in the head to remember that. I will post something if it works (picture or video of something).
Old 11-20-2006, 01:34 PM   #180
RCC Addict

Post it up. I've never used solid works just figured you would be able to import from CAD.