Notices

Thread: Machinists Corner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2017, 11:09 AM   #501
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Machinists Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREEPERBOB View Post
Yea, a fancy ass drill press that cuts sideways.
Well if that's indeed what i need..he said he can find me a used one for about $400. Is that to much?

Sent from my LGAS375 using Tapatalk
kongluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2017, 08:07 AM   #502
Rock Crawler

That could be cheap, could be too much. Depends on the machine.
KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:16 AM   #503
Quarry Creeper

Well it will be late August early September before i see him..he's a truck driver now... What should i look for?

Old 07-15-2017, 08:20 AM   #504
Quarry Creeper

I've got shakey hands...do these things (i guess i should say) slide n stuff...i mean how do they work? I could easily use my dremel bit but the parts won't be symmetrical

Old 07-15-2017, 04:11 PM   #505
Rock Crawler

A mill has dials to move the table/fixture/part around. A little shakiness shouldn't affect the symmetry of a part, as long as you clamp it securely and take your time setting up. As with any cutting process, measure multiple times before cutting.
KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:07 PM   #506
I wanna be Dave

Not so much a machining project, I was going to use the mill to make the 1/4" wide slots but there was a big sign saying 'out of order' when I got to the maker space. After talking to the newest genius that they've hired to do "training", I was told that the threads on the draw bolt felt "notchy" and that the taper in the quill needed some lubrication. Seriously, this is what their engineer with a freshly printed diploma told me. I'm just about done with that place...

Anyway, I made the best of what I had available. I needed a fuel pump lock ring removing tool in order to replace a fuel pump for the 2nd time in 1 week on my new-to-me 1999 Grand Cherokee. The first time I used a piece of wood and a small dead blow to R&R the lock ring. It worked, but it wasn't the best way of doing the job. 2 hrs after installing the new aftermarket pump, it was howling worse than the dying aftermarket pump already in the tank.

I got to use the forge to heat and bend some metal, then tried to get some TIG practice but was having weird auto-shading issues on the helmet not working correctly. I quickly got tired of being blinded so I switch to MIG and burned it together very quickly. No action shots, but the tool worked flawlessly.

Total costs to make the tool- $5 for a day pass to the maker space. I scrounged through the scrap bin and found something from a water jet project, scrap metal is free.

Last edited by BigSki; 08-15-2017 at 02:30 PM.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:46 PM   #507
Rock Crawler

I'm going to be building a roll cage out of 1/4 aluminum rod, how do I notch the ends? I also don't know if I want to build it in individual rods or do some bending on the larger parts.

MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:57 PM   #508
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteroFlego View Post
I'm going to be building a roll cage out of 1/4 aluminum rod, how do I notch the ends? I also don't know if I want to build it in individual rods or do some bending on the larger parts.
If you don't already know this, tube would be stronger and lighter than rod.

Are you welding or brazing?

Dremel type sanding drum in the right diameter for the fishmouths.

You can get a light duty tube/pipe bender at Princess auto for pretty cheap..
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:03 PM   #509
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
A rat tail file works well for making the cope ( fish mouth ), the dremel tool is much faster if you have one available. My opinion would be to use a single pipe of material and do as many bends as possible. Individual lengths of material will make for a ton of un-necessary work and it will require a lot of brazing ( or whatever method you use to make the physical joints)
Old 11-24-2017, 06:26 PM   #510
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
A rat tail file works well for making the cope ( fish mouth ), the dremel tool is much faster if you have one available. My opinion would be to use a single pipe of material and do as many bends as possible. Individual lengths of material will make for a ton of un-necessary work and it will require a lot of brazing ( or whatever method you use to make the physical joints)
I don't have a dremel, but I do have a drill press, could I use that at a high rpm? (I think mine goes to 2300rpm)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2017, 10:10 PM   #511
I wanna be Dave

A drill press is not meant for sideloads in the bearings... buy a cheap dremel or use a file...

Later EddieO

Last edited by EddieO; 11-28-2017 at 12:24 PM.
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:28 PM   #512
Rock Crawler

Old 11-28-2017, 10:39 PM   #513
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
If you don't already know this, tube would be stronger and lighter than rod.

Are you welding or brazing?

Dremel type sanding drum in the right diameter for the fishmouths.

You can get a light duty tube/pipe bender at Princess auto for pretty cheap..
lighter yes, stronger? no. besides, it will not be heavier than 3/16 steel, which based on examples i have seen, would weigh at least 11lbs for a truck like this.

I am "brazing" using muggy weld super alloy 1, which has a tensile strength of about 20000 psi.

as for the bender, I'd like a smaller radius bend than i can find on their site, since most of them are designed for tube, not rod.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:15 PM   #514
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I don't have a dremel, but I do have a drill press, could I use that at a high rpm? (I think mine goes to 2300rpm)

If you have a large floor press, the lateral pressure in grinding these small parts should not be significant enough to ruin the bearings. You wouldn't be apply much pressure to it anyway, it would be the cutting bit that is doing most of the work.

It should be perfectly fine with a sharp bit such as diamond bits used to sharpen chainsaw chains. Type in "diamond chainsaw sharpener" on Amazon and you'll see the bits in various sizes.

The drill press has at least two bearings on the shaft and they are way stronger than a dremel, you just don't want it to do milling operations on aluminum block (although I've seen some people do with end mills and machinist vises). Usually on these China made drill presses nowadays, it comes with pretty horrible runout anyway.
jlwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:55 PM   #515
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwatchman View Post
If you have a large floor press, the lateral pressure in grinding these small parts should not be significant enough to ruin the bearings. You wouldn't be apply much pressure to it anyway, it would be the cutting bit that is doing most of the work.

It should be perfectly fine with a sharp bit such as diamond bits used to sharpen chainsaw chains. Type in "diamond chainsaw sharpener" on Amazon and you'll see the bits in various sizes.

The drill press has at least two bearings on the shaft and they are way stronger than a dremel, you just don't want it to do milling operations on aluminum block (although I've seen some people do with end mills and machinist vises). Usually on these China made drill presses nowadays, it comes with pretty horrible runout anyway.
It's a big floor press that's probably older than I am, not Chinese lol.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:01 AM   #516
Rock Stacker

Quote:
It's a big floor press that's probably older than I am, not Chinese lol.

Yeah, then you would have no problem at all. They are probably even stronger than a new Chinese mini mill!

I am a small parts machinist if it matters.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:39 PM   #517
Suck it up!

If you try to machine with a drill press, be aware that the chuck is probably press fit onto the shaft. The right amount of side load will knock it loose. I doubt you'll do much damage at that rpm, but still, watch your fingers...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:00 PM   #518
I wanna be Dave

The Morse Taper on the drill chuck is what keeps the drill chuck "locked" to the arbor shaft, the side load and vibrations from cutting/removing material from stock is what will loosen it and make it fall out.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:57 PM   #519
Rock Stacker

Side load pressure won't knock it loose if the chucked bit is small in diameter, which is the case if it is a diamond bit. The bit will snap before that happens. Also, that much pressure should not be applied when grinding or sanding, or the abrasive will wear off right away.

Now if it's an end mill, then that'll definitely be true.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:29 PM   #520
Suck it up!

Oh, you'd be surprised...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote

Machinists Corner - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
you Machinists can probly appreciate this... STANG KILLA SS Tools, and Procedures 41 05-14-2011 12:59 AM
Machinists..... mrpink Chit Chat 1 08-30-2010 08:31 PM
Question for the machinists out there... scally6 Chit Chat 12 12-03-2009 08:25 PM
Machinists...opinions? JasonInAugusta Tools, and Procedures 5 07-23-2007 11:00 PM