Notices

Thread: 3d printer for rc parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2018, 06:50 PM   #341
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwdaveb View Post
Back on topic. I'm with Mike. ZI have better luck with SD card. I need to get Octpi up and running. Soon will have my over engineered enclosure cabinet done.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I use Octoprint on a Raspberry 3 B+ and haven't had any issues with it so far, I have a cheap webcam hooked to it too. I'm home when I print but I'm not always in the same room with it so I can check on it from the laptop or my phone.

My Raspberry on runs Octoprint and the webcam so I put OctoPi on it.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2018, 11:45 PM   #342
Rock Crawler

So, "refurbished" Monoprice Maker Select V2. So far, not impressed...

It smells like burnt electronics for one...

Rear panel of power supply / controller is missing all but one screw...

X axis guide bar (or whatever it's officially called) was not installed properly and wasn't even attached at one end...

Y axis end switch is out of alignment or there's a piece missing that's supposed to contact it... Just bangs against the back of the guides for like 10-15 seconds...

Will contact customer support tomorrow morning, but if this is indicative of their level of quality, I may just return it and get a kit from someone else. At least then I'd know it's built right, lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by JSterrett; 04-16-2018 at 11:48 PM.
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:22 AM   #343
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Never trust a refurb printer! You probably need to reverse the Y direction in the slicer so it homes in the proper direction. That is typical. or your limit switch is missing the metal arm....
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:03 AM   #344
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Never trust a refurb printer! You probably need to reverse the Y direction in the slicer so it homes in the proper direction. That is typical. or your limit switch is missing the metal arm....
Never buy someone else s problems.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:23 AM   #345
Rock Crawler

It was a bad night...

Calibrated the extrude, it was ~16mm short on a 100mm feed. Almost exact after calibrating it. 97steps/mm to 114steps/mm
Attempt 3 at a set of sand ramps came loose after 2/3 complete.
Hotend is puking plastic around the threads from the heatbreak and running down the sides.
Tried to disassemble the hotend while cool, fubared the nozzle.

Bought a genuine e3d block, mainly to use the fancy silicon insulator boots. The kapton tape isolation came off with the big ball of plastic and I don't have any.

Is there any reason to not use a stainless nozzle?

All metal heatbreak vs one with a ptfe tube? It looks like an all metal is needed for higher temp, but what about pla/petg? They're the same price...
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:30 AM   #346
Rock Crawler

Default Slicer for Linux

I run Linux and the only Windows machine I have is a netbook I use to program esc's, my gps, etc. I have Cura 3.2.1 for Linux but it's clunky and will freeze at times and just isn't a pleasant experience. Also have Craftware which is smooth and has some nice features. It just doesn't print as well as something sliced in Cura, but I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of tweaking some settings. Messed with Slic3r but not enough to comment on it at all.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good Linux slicer or should I just sit down and figure out the one of the above?
Old 04-17-2018, 09:41 AM   #347
RCC Addict

Default Re: Slicer for Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
I run Linux and the only Windows machine I have is a netbook I use to program esc's, my gps, etc. I have Cura 3.2.1 for Linux but it's clunky and will freeze at times and just isn't a pleasant experience. Also have Craftware which is smooth and has some nice features. It just doesn't print as well as something sliced in Cura, but I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of tweaking some settings. Messed with Slic3r but not enough to comment on it at all.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good Linux slicer or should I just sit down and figure out the one of the above?
I would try to resolve the issues with Cura.
I would look at your video card to make sure it meets the requirements and then the amount of memory you have in the system.

After that, Simplify 3D and Slic3r.

Slic3r is good too but has a different (less user friendly) interface.

Simplify 3D is very nice and has great support but it isn't free or Open Source.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:42 AM   #348
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I'll have to look and see if there's a limit switch in the other direction...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
Never buy someone else s problems.
I refurbish and resell laptops for a living, and have great success doing so. If repairs/refurbishment are done correctly, it can be a great way to get a good piece of equipment for a significantly reduced cost. So to basically toss out an "all refurbs are bad" blanket statement is just plain wrong...

That being said, it's very apparent Monoprice failed miserably in this case...
Old 04-17-2018, 10:54 AM   #349
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSterrett View Post
So, "refurbished" Monoprice Maker Select V2. So far, not impressed...
Yup send that shit back - and if they got a reviews section be sure to include some pictures. Refurb or not that thing shouldnt have left the kitchen table looking like that.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:06 AM   #350
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
I would try to resolve the issues with Cura.
I would look at your video card to make sure it meets the requirements and then the amount of memory you have in the system.
Im finding with the Slicer programs this is a big issue. I have two HP towers running Win10. One uses the on board graphics card and the other I had to upgrade to an actual video card to use the most current GPU drivers.

My old HP tower ran XP - Cura had no problems with this at all as long as I used the v12 and under ones.

Win10 tower with on board video Cura is slow, takes a bit to load and I couldnt move things around on the build plate. I cant use above Cura 14 with out crashing it trying to slice.

Swapped over to the tower with a simple Nvidia graphics card and still on Win10 .... No problems with Cura at all for any version. I can move pieces around on the build plate, add multiple pieces and orientate separately and not crash the program.

A lesson learned in current software lol.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:45 AM   #351
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Im finding with the Slicer programs this is a big issue. I have two HP towers running Win10. One uses the on board graphics card and the other I had to upgrade to an actual video card to use the most current GPU drivers.

My old HP tower ran XP - Cura had no problems with this at all as long as I used the v12 and under ones.

Win10 tower with on board video Cura is slow, takes a bit to load and I couldnt move things around on the build plate. I cant use above Cura 14 with out crashing it trying to slice.

Swapped over to the tower with a simple Nvidia graphics card and still on Win10 .... No problems with Cura at all for any version. I can move pieces around on the build plate, add multiple pieces and orientate separately and not crash the program.

A lesson learned in current software lol.
My problem is all I have are laptops both using onboard graphics. The one I use the most is an Intel I5 with 8 gig of ram. My other one is older but is an I7 but has LinuxMint 17, the I5 has LinuxMint 18.

I have Cura 3.3 beta on the I7 I'll try that and see what happens. So far I haven't had any issues with Slic3r, still tweaking it a bit to get the finish I want.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:33 PM   #352
RCC Addict

Quote:

I refurbish and resell laptops for a living, and have great success doing so. If repairs/refurbishment are done correctly, it can be a great way to get a good piece of equipment for a significantly reduced cost. So to basically toss out an "all refurbs are bad" blanket statement is just plain wrong...

That being said, it's very apparent Monoprice failed miserably in this case...
I don't mean to question your skill level or integrity, you may be very good at your job, I have no idea, so this isnt personal.

However I have bought enough refurbished, starters, alternators and electronics to know that the quality control is never that good. Refurbished items don't have the margin as new so steps are taken to keep cost down. Also unlike new the volume of product isnt high so again steps are taken to keep cost down.

As a matter of past experiences, there are certain things that are not worth the risk to buy used or refurbished. Electronics are high on my list because visual inspection doesn't really show the use and abuse or wear of the item.

Last edited by Ditchrat; 04-17-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:50 PM   #353
I wanna be Dave

I will comment about Monoprice.
They are a reseller / importer of Wanhao. Their tech support and parts are nonexistent , I asked for a new SD card to replace the corrupted original, they offered to send me a whole new unit. I had one bar shifted in shipping, I reset it, went thru all screws , squared it all up and have zero issues. I got $100.00 off list on my 3plus, on a big sale. My understanding is Wanhao USA is even worse.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:18 PM   #354
Rock Crawler

So after a little bit of googling it appears the y-axis switch is missing the little lever...

I may see if they'll do a partial refund and just fix it myself...

I'll also check the box/packing material to see if maybe it's floating around in there...

Old 04-17-2018, 04:41 PM   #355
RCC Addict

Quote:
So after a little bit of googling it appears the y-axis switch is missing the little lever...

I may see if they'll do a partial refund and just fix it myself...

I'll also check the box/packing material to see if maybe it's floating around in there...

The big unknown -- Is that the only problem with the printer?
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:51 PM   #356
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
The big unknown -- Is that the only problem with the printer?
Who knows? It did act like it wanted to print, but I am still pretty much a beginner...

All 3 axis' moved smoothly (with the exception of the y-axis stop), extruder extruded, print bed warmed up. Bed/extruder gap was too high, even after bed leveling, but hopefully that can be adjusted (maybe in the settings?)...
Old 04-17-2018, 04:54 PM   #357
I wanna be Dave

Default 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Who knows? It did act like it wanted to print, but I am still pretty much a beginner...

All 3 axis' moved smoothly (with the exception of the y-axis stop), extruder extruded, print bed warmed up. Bed/extruder gap was too high, even after bed leveling, but hopefully that can be adjusted (maybe in the settings?)...

First square up the bed to the sides, you can manually turn the two uprights. Make sure the bed size is properly set in the slicer( height also).
It is a great machine for the buck, don’t fret!
This might help
https://youtu.be/aRdBnSbiu0Q

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:17 PM   #358
Rock Crawler

Found the lever!

Old 04-17-2018, 06:20 PM   #359
Rock Crawler

Pull the lever kronk!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:30 PM   #360
Rock Crawler

Got it actually printing now...

3d printer for rc parts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can your printer do this? CREEPERBOB Chit Chat 19 10-14-2011 07:33 PM
Are you a printer in OH or know someone who is? Phatmac Ohio 5 02-20-2009 02:14 PM