Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2018, 07:05 AM   #202
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: AnimalHippie's Trx-4 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
Yesterday I was playing on the back yard course & the brushes on my motor took a crap. Contactors were hanging out of the holes where you can see the fins. I have a spare motor (Thank you Ernie!) I just have to solder a male xt60 on the spare. I would like to get a new motor, but not sure what way to go. HH is by far the most recommend that I have seen. Just can't afford a price tag like that right now. Looking for suggestions on a good lower budget motor. My rig is mostly used for crawling, but I do like to blast around & do some donuts from time to time. Any suggestions are very much appreciated.
HH has three lines an entry a middle and a top. prices reflect that and I'd not hesitate to replace an rtr motor with the entry level to get by until I save for a newer nice motor. I've been running a middle tier HH 550 can for a while now. I may grab another for the ii but I need to look into the gearing differences between the two first
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:51 AM   #203
Quarry Creeper

Have you checked out the hobbwing AXE combo's might be more budget friendly than the Holmes stuff.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk
Schs2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:47 PM   #204
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schs2013 View Post
Have you checked out the hobbwing AXE combo's might be more budget friendly than the Holmes stuff.

The OP is already running a Hobbywing ESC check post #1 in this thread. He just needs a motor and HH is hard to beat.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:41 PM   #205
Quarry Creeper

I miss read that. Thanks for bringing it up to my attention.

I'll be getting the 45T motor from Holmes for mine as I killed my stock motor today.

Schs2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:44 AM   #206
RCC Addict

Think for now I'm going to go with the HH trail master 550 $20& get a 9t pinion $3.50. Also think I'm going to order a turnigy mg959 v2 servo. They're on sale right now for $30. Talked with a guy that has a few of them & he has had no issues with them. He's had them for a few years & is way harder on his toys then I am on my rig. So I give it a shot. Worse comes to worse I'll turn it into a internal servo winch when I can afford the promodeler 470.

Last edited by AnimalHippie; 08-28-2018 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:41 AM   #207
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinjeeper View Post
Like your build, really like the family involvement! Hopefully my wife will see that there is a lot of fun to be had and catch on to it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! She's not the prettiest but she crawls damn good. I love that my daughter's are into it. The wife likes it as well just haven't got her hooked yet. I think once we get her a rig it'll be a whole different story. Look forward to checking out a build thread from you once you get more comfortable on the forum.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:18 AM   #208

I haven’t had mine long yet, just been fiddling with RC off and on for most of my life but finally made the jump to the real stuff. I really like my rig, but want to do the truck mod to mine like you did. I have been thinking about getting a clear body to mod and do some custom paint on though. You are doing the type of things that I want to do to mine since most of the truck is already pretty capable and the improvements you made are nothing that takes away from what the truck was intended to be, but seem to really make it excel even more. I have not done any events with mine either but probably going to change that in the fall if all works out the way I plan. Need to get a spare battery and some weight down low before I even consider getting into them much but I am enjoying it and learning the limitations. Already have some dings and scratches from use and plan to keep on adding to them because it will continue to be used regularly.

freakinjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:47 AM   #209
RCC Addict

Quote:
I haven’t had mine long yet, just been fiddling with RC off and on for most of my life but finally made the jump to the real stuff. I really like my rig, but want to do the truck mod to mine like you did. I have been thinking about getting a clear body to mod and do some custom paint on though. You are doing the type of things that I want to do to mine since most of the truck is already pretty capable and the improvements you made are nothing that takes away from what the truck was intended to be, but seem to really make it excel even more. I have not done any events with mine either but probably going to change that in the fall if all works out the way I plan. Need to get a spare battery and some weight down low before I even consider getting into them much but I am enjoying it and learning the limitations. Already have some dings and scratches from use and plan to keep on adding to them because it will continue to be used regularly.

That's awesome! I've always wanted a real rc vehicle but could never afford one. Use to crawl in my 1:1 jeep but that got crazy expensive quick. Bought a little new bright crawler a couple weeks before I bought my Trx. That's where my addiction started. The Trx-4 is a great rig. Doing the truck bed mod helped allot with the top heaviness. If you decide to do it. Don't hesitate to ask questions. I'll help any way I can. Axle weight helped tremendously. A high torque servo will make a huge difference as well. Going to a comp & finding some guys that are just there to have fun is key in my book. Don't know if I'll ever be a serious comp guy. Just meeting new people, having fun & checking out all the other rigs is great.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:57 AM   #210

Same with me, have a lightly modified Jeep that I have spent a good bit of time in, but like you said, that can get expensive fast. I wanted to do something more geared towards recreation that was a little more budget friendly. Only thing was that they do cost a bit to get into, but after that, it becomes a huge pile of possibilities. I know that the roof rack is some of the weight on our trucks but there is one that I found that was modded as a truck but still had the full cage. Have to say that I really love the way that thing looked. I need to find out more about cutting the body and shaping it correctly since this is a new concept to me, then the rear mount is another thing that I haven’t figured out since I know it will have to be completely changed. I am not planning on getting down quite so precise in the weight like you have done on the body, but I know that every little bit helps.

freakinjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:18 AM   #211
RCC Addict

Quote:
Same with me, have a lightly modified Jeep that I have spent a good bit of time in, but like you said, that can get expensive fast. I wanted to do something more geared towards recreation that was a little more budget friendly. Only thing was that they do cost a bit to get into, but after that, it becomes a huge pile of possibilities. I know that the roof rack is some of the weight on our trucks but there is one that I found that was modded as a truck but still had the full cage. Have to say that I really love the way that thing looked. I need to find out more about cutting the body and shaping it correctly since this is a new concept to me, then the rear mount is another thing that I haven’t figured out since I know it will have to be completely changed. I am not planning on getting down quite so precise in the weight like you have done on the body, but I know that every little bit helps.

There are a few threads on here that I used as a guide. Also got allot of help from Natedog. It was a bit nerve racking cutting up that nice new body, but it came out alright. Keeping the full cage will make it even easier for you. As for the rear body mount. I removed mine. Added a piece of aluminum sheet across the shock towers. Installed some velcro on it & on the bottom of the bed cover. My rig has had some BIG tumbles & the body never moved. Any weight you can take off the top will help, but there's plenty of guys running the defender with no body mods. That crawl just fine.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:27 AM   #212
RCC Addict

TRX 4 Body Bashing, The cutting has begun...

Natedog drives and rebuilds a TRX-4

These are the two that I used the most as guides. But before you start cutting let me know & you can give me a call. There's a few things that are explained better on the phone then in text.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:23 PM   #213
RCC Addict

Quote:
Will do, I appreciate the input for sure since I really want this thing to come out as slick as yours has.

Hopefully with those two threads & my help you can make yours come out nicer then mine. Look forward to seeing your rig come together

Old 09-01-2018, 06:34 AM   #214
RCC Addict

Thank you! I'm glad I my rig gives you inspiration. I think with a little direction yours will come out great. I'm about to change them out for some aluminum ones. If you'd like some I'd be more then willing to send you a set. If I leave them flat could probably send in an envelope. Like I said before don't hesitate to ask. I'm more then willing to lend a helping hand or mind.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:29 PM   #215
RCC Addict

Had some time today doing some construction on the backyard course & catching lizards with the girls. Got the 18"ID corrugated pipes into place and rocked for the most part. Also got to play a bit before the rain. Here's some pics!

Old 09-23-2018, 06:54 AM   #216
RCC Addict

Wow, it's been a few since I posted on this thread.

Not to much to update. Had a great time at the USCSE Event on the 8th. Met some great people & had a blast running in that event. Grabbed a 9t pinion the other day. I haven't had any luck getting it to mesh correctly. The manual says it goes in the A slot but mine was extremely noisy in that hole. Tried the B slot but it wasn't right either. Had dremeled the area between the holes for some adjustment, but it hasn't worked out good. The Trx is still sitting on the bench. I noticed when I had the spur cover off that the spur gear has a bit of a wobble to it. So I decided I'm going to get a new spur gear & motor plate when I get a chance. That way I can start fresh. Maybe I'll get better results that way. Hope everyone has a great day today!
Old 09-23-2018, 07:04 AM   #217
I wanna be Dave

I had the exact same issue. A was too tight, B works, but is very noisy. Haven't solved it yet either... looking into a metal motor mount. I'm just not a fan of the plastic fantastic setup.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:04 AM   #218
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I had the exact same issue. A was too tight, B works, but is very noisy. Haven't solved it yet either... looking into a metal motor mount. I'm just not a fan of the plastic fantastic setup.
With my stock 11t pinion I had to run the motor between the C & D holes for it to be correct. It might just be the wobbly spur gear making all the noise. I think I'm gonna go after a aluminum motor plate. I seen a couple guys get the GRC aluminum set up that gets rid of all the plastic, but haven't heard much about them. Also don't have the $ to run out and grab one either. Think it's around $50. I'll try the cheaper options for now.

Old 09-28-2018, 01:11 PM   #219
RCC Addict

Made it to the hobby shop! Super Stoked to get the rigs back on the rocks! Now to get everything put back together. Ready to test out that 9t pinion!

Old 10-01-2018, 09:01 AM   #220
RCC Addict

I installed the new spur gear and motor plate. Still getting allot of noise from my pinion/spur mesh. Have tried A & B holes on the new motor plate with the 9T pinion. Still pretty loud. Going to try the C hole next time I get some time to tinker. Also now that I have 2 spur covers I'm going to cut a mesh view hole in one to see if I can figure out what's going on. Getting this thing right is driving me nuts. I did run it for a few mins with the 9T pinion. Definitely can notice a big difference in torque. Also it doesn't like to blow donuts anymore. Kinda disappointed about that but not really worried about it. It is a crawler.

AnimalHippie's Trx-4 Adventure - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX-4 Defender Adventure (and some mudding) Mountainsofbeer Scale Videos! 0 10-10-2017 07:30 PM
My 2.2 TRX-4 Kawirocket674 Traxxas TRX-4 9 07-23-2017 06:19 PM
Montana Scale Adventure Club Adventure Series montana.matt Montana 9 03-17-2010 09:22 AM