Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Pinion gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2014, 04:48 PM   #121

Default Re: Pinion gear

I wanted to give a shout out to Horizon for standing beind their product! They are shipping me a replacement gear and a output shaft. Also, I wanted to pass along that the rep told me that they are recommending 7 1/2 turns out on the slipper clutch versus 5 1/2 turns out as the manual states.

Last edited by scalecrawlin; 11-24-2014 at 04:53 PM.
scalecrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2014, 06:24 AM   #122
Quarry Creeper

Next time you have a screw with threadlock that wont come out heat up the head of the screw with your soldering iron. It will soften the threadlock enough for the screw to come out as if there was none. Also if there is any screw left sticking out you could try heat and vice grips. If the screw is flush you can use a thin dremel disc to cut a straight cut on the top then use heat and a flat headt to turn it out. Hope that save you some dough. Shitty bout the gearset dude. Hope horizon is hurrying things up on those hd gearsets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reaxion911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:57 PM   #123

Thanks for the advise. I did try to put some heat on it with my iron but no luck. That's why I love boards like these!
scalecrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:56 AM   #124

As someone with one of these under the tree, I wonder if it would help anything to heat them up cherry red and dip in oil or water a couple times. I don't know if that would work with this type metal or not, but might be worth try a try.
junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 02:09 AM   #125

Hello, I adjusted my ascenders slipper so loose that it slipped very easily, and tightened it little by little, until it didn't seem to slip under normal crawling conditions, but it will slip if tires get wedged under a rock or something.

No problems with the drivetrain so far. I am using 55t and 4s battery, which gives very smooth crawling and also some wheelspeed. Of course I will buy hd gears (like an insurance) if they come available.
Volvospede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:54 AM   #126
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman View Post
As someone with one of these under the tree, I wonder if it would help anything to heat them up cherry red and dip in oil or water a couple times. I don't know if that would work with this type metal or not, but might be worth try a try.
They are sintered, trying to harden them like they were made of solid steel would likely destroy them.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:56 PM   #127
Suck it up!

Finally blew the rear r&p in mine. Any word on HD replacements?
Old 12-16-2014, 06:13 AM   #128
RCC Addict

You wouldn't think it would take this long to get the HD gearing made , Unless it's more than a material problem. I could see if it was being redesigned , That's takes time.
old man 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:55 AM   #129
Rock Crawler

I should be getting an ascender for Christmas, and while I'm concerned about the r&p, I'm hoping it'll last long enough for the HD gears to be released.

While I know the pinion issue isn't a large percentage, it seems it's gonna be an issue over time.

I know the manufacturing process can be more difficult and complex than it appears on paper, so I understand the delay. I hope that rich posts in here soon with an eta on hardened gears even if it's just to make us feel warm and fuzzy as I'd like to run a brushless setup in mine at some point without carrying extra r&p sets with me.

To me it seems obvious people love the kit, and are willing to pay for upgraded gear sets.
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:15 PM   #130
Pebble Pounder

Hd,s Please.Competed with mine this weekend and did real well.Broke rear pinion on third course but was still able to finish.Came in second...
truckbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:39 PM   #131
Sr. Product Developer

PLEASE NOTE: DO NOT CALL YOUR LOCAL HOBBY SHOP OR HORIZON HOBBY. THESE ARE NOT AVAILABLE TO ORDER JUST YET.

Ok that being said, I wanted to share that we are very close to the release of the HD Pinion gears and HD Driveshafts. I'm working on getting them to our warehouses as soon as possible BUT I can't give a specific date just yet. That is why i'm also not going to share the part numbers until i'm sure of those dates.

AGAIN, please don't call Horizon or your local hobby shop because I'll end up getting tossed under the bus for sharing info to you guys.

I'll try to get the ok to post pictures and info tomorrow, otherwise it will have to be when i return from the holiday break.

Thanks for you patience and hopefully i don't get flamed to hard for not sharing more info

Thanks,
Rich
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #132

There it is guys what you all have been waiting for. I'm still abusing my stock ones weekly, and they keep coming back for more. I cant seem to break them!
JOHNSON! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #133
MODERATOR™

If you guys ruin this for Rich, then I'm banning all Ascender owners from RCC.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:18 PM   #134
Suck it up!

Thanks for the heads up, Rich. I'll just sit here patiently and wait.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:41 AM   #135

Awesome news Rich!! I just watch on Vaterra's site on the Ascender page under option parts. Seems to be where they pop up first when new ones come out. The second I see em there I will order. Thanks again Rich!!!!
Hogass83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:34 AM   #136

This is great news! I still have the original gears and shafts and I have driven really a lot, but have been little worried and driven extra smoothly. So it will be good upgrade.

Rich: Do You have any good tips for reducing the torque twist? I have been playing with the rear upper links, moved them up both axle and frame side and tested different variations. Also moved the shocks to outside of the axle brackets. Helped maybe a little but still there is lot of TT. It would be great to have some kind of instructions how to have TT reduced to minimum.
Volvospede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #137
Rock Stacker

Great news on the HD stuff.......
martoediefroets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:43 PM   #138
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by martoediefroets View Post
Great news on the HD stuff.......
I agree. I still think I'll hold off purchasing a kit until the upgrade is included in it. Call me cheap, but a drivetrain upgrade shouldn't be an immediate requirement for the average driver. I'm no Axial fan-boy, but I've had a variety of Axial models since the OG AX-10 rtr and in all these years have twisted exactly one driveshaft. No R&P failures using the stock components. Maybe I'm just not hardcore enough!
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:17 PM   #139
Pebble Pounder

Hi guys I'm new to scale crawlers but not r/c in general. That being said I purchased a vaterra ascender RTR for my son for Xmas because of what seemed like an awesome value. In the first 5 mins he ran it right into a wall full speed and snapped a rear pinion gear. (He's 3-1/2 but very advanced. He's drives my dads losi crawler all the time) luckily it didn't break a drive shaft or the spool, so I swapped the front gears to the rear and found the slipper clutch to be wayyyy to tight from the factory so I backed it off some. We have been railing on this truck in 2wd for about 2 hrs now. (4 30min sessions) I contacted horizon the day after Xmas and they sent out the replacement parts right away. I love the truck and will be purchasing another hopefully in a few months probably in kit form this time. I also can't wait for aftermarket support or heavy gears just because I like overbuilt stuff because I'm fairly certain the slipper clutch was the problem.
Minirider82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:57 AM   #140

Does anybody have a part number for the shims on the spool or know the dimensions?
Newdieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Pinion gear - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which pinion gear works best with RC4WD Steel spur gear? e32lover HPI Wheely King 8 03-10-2013 06:09 PM
Which spur gear and pinion gear with 35t motor vegas1973 General Crawlers 1 08-19-2012 11:42 AM
Pinion Gear? BIGNASTY Axial Wraith 20 03-13-2012 06:55 PM
pinion gear yukon635 General Crawlers 4 01-11-2006 02:16 PM