Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: mgputer Build ****Now With Pics****

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #161
Rock Crawler

Default Re: mgputer Build ****Now With Pics****

^^^truth^^^ ^^^ditto^^^

Now this thread got real.

Video would be great.

Of the crawler, not redheads.

Although...

Last edited by Nvghostrider; 07-03-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Nvghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #162
I wanna be Dave

Here is a pic of my bumper I just cut to shape. It is just taped on for a mock up to see how it looks. What do you guys think? Going to do the rear bumper next then braze them up. After that I will start on the cage! I may change the bar across it to bend down to the lower bar. Not sure yet have to stare at it a while lol

Last edited by mgputer; 07-03-2012 at 02:42 PM.
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #163
I wanna be Dave

Rear bumper ready to be brazed. Mocked up for pic and to make sure I like it.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #164
I wanna be Dave

Lol.... I'm sorry I missed out on the earlier topic... Mines a red head.. deep red, like auburn... All posted ideas apply.. at times

Ok, ok, Haha.... Looks like a great start! Finished product should look sick! Front bumper works that grill! Now for pics of the cage... Keep it up, we are watching.
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #165
I wanna be Dave

Here are some pics of the mocked up roll cage. I have it pretty much where I want it so I am going to go braze it together. I am going to add a few more tubes here and there plus the sliders and inner cage which you can't see in the pics. Bad part is is its getting late here i think I am going to finish cutting a few more tubes then start brazing tomorrow.

Let me know what you guys think.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #166
Rock Crawler

This thing just gets meaner and meaner. Tube work fits the body nicely and I just noticed the diamond plate on the running board. Nice.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:24 AM   #167
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvghostrider View Post
This thing just gets meaner and meaner. Tube work fits the body nicely and I just noticed the diamond plate on the running board. Nice.

Thanks!

Next question after I get it all brazed together is what color do I paint it? Was thinking silver or red anodized from a 2 stage mock anodizing set. I may also run the cage a couple times without paint to make sure its how I want it before I spend the time painting it.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #168
Rock Crawler

Th silver sets it off but red would add flair by matching the frame. Hard saying. I'd use some red paint then oven cleaner or acetone it off later just to see how it looks. Did you see the shock relocation setup for the scx10 the puts your upper rear shock mounts more over the rear diff making your shocks sit diagonally? Might add to that street rod appeal.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #169
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvghostrider View Post
Th silver sets it off but red would add flair by matching the frame. Hard saying. I'd use some red paint then oven cleaner or acetone it off later just to see how it looks. Did you see the shock relocation setup for the scx10 the puts your upper rear shock mounts more over the rear diff making your shocks sit diagonally? Might add to that street rod appeal.
I was thinking of possibly making shock mounts out of tube now that I decided on doing the cage. The entire build could change at any time. You never know!
Old 07-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #170
Rock Crawler

That souls be some cool detail to add that is also functional.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #171
I wanna be Dave

Went crawling today and burnt my trans up. Bearing went out and ruined 3 gears. Best I can get is ebay for $9 shipped BUT it takes 6 days for it to get here!!! Ohwell it will give me some time to get the cage finished. I have about half of it brazed up. Should have it done tomorrow or friday. I had the cage on in the back today as it was done and I don't know if i like the extra weight up high.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #172
RCC Addict

like the tube work mg
viper6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:40 AM   #173
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper6171 View Post
like the tube work mg

Thanks. I wish I could weld it because brazing these is a paint in the #$%! If I use a clamp or visegrip they act as a heat sink so it makes it really hard to get the temp up to braze it. Through some creativity and some jerry riggin I did manage to get it brazed though. Will finish it up today and get some more pics!
Old 07-05-2012, 04:43 AM   #174
I wanna be Dave

Anyone had issues with the gear set on the back side of the trans not holding grease? I just coated the entire trans with grease a couple days ago and have only driven it once since and when I tore the trans apart the gears were dry like I hadnt put any grease on them at all. I noticed this everytime I grease it. I would expect it if they were highspeed gears but these are the slowest turning gears of the trans! I am confuse!
Old 07-05-2012, 07:12 AM   #175
RCC Addict

i did notice that the grease seems to work towards the motor side and not back. i have though about just getting some synthetic grease and filling the case.
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #176
I wanna be Dave

I thought about that too but I am worried it is going to cause excess drag. I am going to order an RC4WD R2 trans for it if it does it again though. Figured the 2 speed would be good for low gear crawling and high gear trailing/hill climbs. Trying to find the creeper stock gear ratio though with a 15t pinion before i make my decision.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #177
I wanna be Dave

Well the R2 is out. Lowest gear ratio you can get is 11.7:1 with an 8t where with a 19t on a creeper trans that like 13.570:1 so it will be to high for my purposes I think. Guess I will just replace it with an axial if I fry it again. My torque with the new brushless is pretty crazy due to the 55t type torque so I think I am going to run the 55t set up Thomas runs and put in a 19t on the new gears when I get them.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #178
RCC Addict

if you use a good light synthetic, i don't think the drag will be noticeable. better then the super sticky marine grade stuff i run right now.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:57 AM   #179
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwolf View Post
if you use a good light synthetic, i don't think the drag will be noticeable. better then the super sticky marine grade stuff i run right now.

I will have to try that. Maybe it will work better. My local autoparts store has a synthetic marine. Might buy a tub of that too just for comparison.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #180
RCC Addict

look for the synthetic white or translucent, if will say "food grade" on the side, the stuff is used to lube food processing equipment. if your auto parts store don;t have it, hit up a John Deere dealer if there is one near by.

mgputer Build ****Now With Pics**** - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jeep scaler build and comp micro crawler build droopmodmrc Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 12-25-2012 12:34 PM
~53 Willys 2010 Comp Rig Build~ RC4WD MOA Worminator Build~ 53 willys General Crawlers 108 11-28-2011 12:42 AM
RcBros LCC Build, Hi-Res pics & More Build!! RcBro Team Losi Comp Crawler 30 06-03-2009 07:26 PM
Practice build before I build a real crawler. jm8881 General Crawlers 46 03-13-2005 09:21 PM