Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.5 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Scale EB Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2016, 06:09 AM   #161
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Scale EB Build

Fantastic work MM!!!!! The hood/grill look incredible but i don't think most people can appreciate how hard it is to get the metal to form the compound curves of the grill and front fenders to be that smooth. Then the rear bed corners. Forget Metal Masher... You are now Metal MASTER. Now just get some drip rails on that roof you slacker

I was amazed at how far off my Tamiya body is to being scale and it looks like the same thing for the proline. The shortened L.R. version looks way better.

Well, I'm off to send a little brown package down south for L.R.
802Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2016, 09:45 AM   #162
Quarry Creeper

Can't be said enough, but this really is one of the best bodies I've seen made in the history of R/C.

I don't know if you are on Scale Builder's Guild or Scale 4x4, but I'll put this build on top of the best they have on either of those 2 sites.

However, the pragmatic side of me(read: my day job as an Engineering Project Manager), is starting to worry about packaging the running gear so this thing actually runs.

I don't think it's too early to start thinking about the drivetrain: axles, motor, transmission/transfer case; and electronics: servo, battery, receiver and wire routing.

Often times, I've seen really excellent builds start to sputter as the selection of running gear limits what you can have under such a scale body. I can already see that space is very limited, and being able to conceal a lot of this stuff will be a challenge. Hate to have you make major alterations to this thing to be able to fit some of the running gear in.
K.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:00 AM   #163
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 802Bronco View Post
Fantastic work MM!!!!! The hood/grill look incredible but i don't think most people can appreciate how hard it is to get the metal to form the compound curves of the grill and front fenders to be that smooth. Then the rear bed corners. Forget Metal Masher... You are now Metal MASTER. Now just get some drip rails on that roof you slacker

I was amazed at how far off my Tamiya body is to being scale and it looks like the same thing for the proline. The shortened L.R. version looks way better.

Well, I'm off to send a little brown package down south for L.R.
Thanks!

You are right, the deep draw of the front and rear body corners is the hardest part. I ended up prestretching the metal out where the corners are which helps. even then I still end up folding the metal at spots. when that happens I use a smooth socket to work out the fold and make it less noticeable.

The advantage you would have with steel is that you can split the metal along the corner, work it into shape then solder it back together to create a seamless corner.

Drip rails? This body is a quick form and assemble. I don't go into that much detail with it. I did put drip reails on my Class 1 Toyta however, they turned out real nice.

Yah, unfortunately neither body is correct for some reason even though they are licensed products. With the mod LR did on the Pro-Line body, I think that one is as close as you are going to get to the real thing.
Metal Masher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:46 PM   #164
Pebble Pounder

I was just bustin' on ya. That toyota build was the one that pushed me to start this whole mess in the first place.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:42 PM   #165
Rock Crawler

Looking forward to having this on the table up at SuperCel in 2 weeks- it's going to be a show stopper for sure! I'll take tons of pics as will Chris @ GCM for sure!

Really excited to see this jewel in person!

L.R.
LoneRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:57 AM   #166
I wanna be Dave

As stated many times over (and rightfully so) Amazing work Sir! You are making it look so easy, but anybody who has ever tried to build one from scratch knows its anything but easy.
rcjeepbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:51 AM   #167
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger View Post
Looking forward to having this on the table up at SuperCel in 2 weeks- it's going to be a show stopper for sure! I'll take tons of pics as will Chris @ GCM for sure!

Really excited to see this jewel in person!

L.R.
Sorry I didn't get a chance to put it in the blast cabinet for cleanup but I'm starting to like the "patina" it has developed from the flux. Scale rust... yeah that's it. The frame even looks like it comes from the northeast now too.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:29 AM   #168
Rock Crawler

Oh lord. This is just pure heaven for Bronco junkies like myself. Man, wish one of these massed produced companies would build at least a damn Bronco Hardbody. A Fullsize Bronco would be killer.
SMFtwstdHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:05 AM   #169
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.M. View Post
Can't be said enough, but this really is one of the best bodies I've seen made in the history of R/C.

I don't know if you are on Scale Builder's Guild or Scale 4x4, but I'll put this build on top of the best they have on either of those 2 sites.

However, the pragmatic side of me(read: my day job as an Engineering Project Manager), is starting to worry about packaging the running gear so this thing actually runs.

I don't think it's too early to start thinking about the drivetrain: axles, motor, transmission/transfer case; and electronics: servo, battery, receiver and wire routing.

Often times, I've seen really excellent builds start to sputter as the selection of running gear limits what you can have under such a scale body. I can already see that space is very limited, and being able to conceal a lot of this stuff will be a challenge. Hate to have you make major alterations to this thing to be able to fit some of the running gear in.
WOW... Thank you very much for the support. I'll have to check out those other sites.

I have also been wondering about all the limitations I have created by trying to keep things so scale. As I don't have any funds available for drivetrain, I'm pressing forward on building out the rest of the exterior and interior bits that shouldn't be in the way once I do start with making it move. I'm less concerned with monster motors and 3s lipo packs and more about scale speed trail type crawling. I am leaning towards the RC4WD R4/GCM LRT Married case if and when I have some funds available, and I think I can pull off a 2s lipo bench seat for the half cab. I still have much to learn!
Old 03-31-2016, 07:12 PM   #170
Rock Crawler

I agree this build should be on SBG. I recommend you taking a few mins to register there and share with them.

L.R.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:20 PM   #171
Pebble Pounder

While the Scale EB is on vacation with LoneRanger without me at the Bronco show, I got itchy not being able to work on it. Decided the rear gate needed a working latch. Should have taken pics of the progress but I scaled the real one to 1:10 and got to it. Need to clean up the trim plate a bit more but here is the progress so far.

Opened position:

Top detail where rods attach:

Also started the the Half Cab top. Measured drawings took most of saturday but I'm liking where this is headed...

Old 04-19-2016, 09:39 AM   #172
Pebble Pounder

I got a few more bits done for the half cab. The arched top with all the compound bends was a bugger to pull off. The upper most bend is the outer drip rail that the roof skin attaches to so it needed to be clean. The final shape needed to be flat across for the roof and rear glass to mount to but maintain about a 3/4 inch scale arch over the scale 56" width at the window top. Subtle but there.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:42 AM   #173
RCC Addict

WOW man! that is killer work! Seems your tub got a lot of attention at the Bronco gathering in TN, and well deserved!
Metal Masher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:31 PM   #174
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Masher View Post
WOW man! that is killer work! Seems your tub got a lot of attention at the Bronco gathering in TN, and well deserved!
Thanks! Sucks it got to go on vacation without me
Old 04-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #175
Rock Crawler

UPDATES? were all waiting!

L.R.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:05 PM   #176
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger View Post
UPDATES? were all waiting!

L.R.
yes sir, yes sir, 3 bags full
So my bronco got home this morning and the box it returned in was just a bit heavier than it was when I sent it. The box had an awesome mini Super Celebration banner taped to it. As I unwrap the contents, there is an extra chunk 'O somthin' wrapped up in the middle. LoneRanger and the GCM Boys (and Girls.. can't leave out Panda!), sent me a complete motor/motor plate, R4 tranny and a married LRT-Case.

Words can't describe how floored I am at the kindness and support i've gotten from these guys. What an adventure this has become and what a great group we have here! The pressure is on to get this thing rolling!
Old 04-29-2016, 02:27 PM   #177

That's amazing! I've been following your build for awhile, it really is awesome. So cool of those guys to hook you up. That setup will look perfect in the Bronco.
Bronco RC Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:57 PM   #178
Rock Crawler

Extraordinary skills , this is a work of art .
Subbed and watching for updates
northkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:53 AM   #179
I wanna be Dave

looks like you need a scale 302 to slide over that can you got...
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:55 PM   #180
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlingman9000 View Post
looks like you need a scale 302 to slide over that can you got...
thinking straight 6 just for something different.

just so nobody thinks i'm slacking off on this project, I have been working on the cab roof. I just finished the forming blank so i should have updates soon!

stay tuned!

Scale EB Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
~The Scale Shop~ 2008 Scale Nationals Rubicon 2.2 Tuber Build STANG KILLA SS 2.2 Scale Rigs 103 12-10-2010 05:49 PM