Notices

Thread: Scale EB Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2016, 08:40 PM   #81
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Scale EB Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
Simply in awe....just amazing fab skills here. Sorry about the loss of flesh, been there, lost a tip to an old Pontiac Lemans rear axle, stitches brought back memories.
Glad you're along for the ride! I try to keep the bleeding to a minimum on most of my projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepfixer1 View Post
Truly inspiring and amazing work!
Thanks, You guys are keeping me motivated!
802Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2016, 08:51 PM   #82
Pebble Pounder

So here is the other half of the press plate die. I may still need to loosen up the tolerance between the ribs as it is still sheering some of the bends. Ended up pressing them in the shop press and it takes about 6,000 psi before the bends get crisp. Learn as we go I always say!

Here is the first attempt. Ripped down the middle where the die halves were too tight.

I adjusted it by narrowing a few of the ribs. The second attempt was much better but still split in a couple spots. Photobucket still won't let me upload that last shot for now but you get the idea. I also used up all my old paint cans so now I guess I need to paint the living room

Last edited by 802Bronco; 01-20-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:04 PM   #83

That's looking real good! Maybe try pressing it half an inch at a time and feeding it in every half inch until it's done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk
Darrell82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:19 AM   #84
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell82 View Post
That's looking real good! Maybe try pressing it half an inch at a time and feeding it in every half inch until it's done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk
The second panel was pressed in two stages and one half at a time with much better results. I may try some heat as well and see what happens.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:29 AM   #85
Pebble Pounder

Here is the second attempt.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:11 PM   #86
Rock Crawler

Looks good!
Jeepfixer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:31 PM   #87
Pebble Pounder

Silver soldered nuts to the inside of the lower frame so i can use the widshield lock knobs

Got the hinge attached too

Still need the drip rails but here it is in place.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:41 PM   #88
Rock Crawler

Everytime I check this thing out it looks more real
AkFordfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:14 PM   #89
RCC Addict

Beautiful metal work. This truck is coming along nice!
ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:00 PM   #90
Pebble Pounder

This is an amazing build! The detail you are putting into it is excellent. Keep up the good work!
J.Peart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:11 AM   #91
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for all the support.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:09 PM   #92
Pebble Pounder

Time to get moving on the door posts. This was way harder than i thought it would be to press. I ended up making a form out of more aluminum scrap. Looks pretty rough (because it is ;))

I was able to do an initial pressing and then finished with a punch and hammer to get the rest of the detail. Had a few spots on the top corner that started to rip at the sharp bend. This is the first attempt so hopefully the next one will be better. I may try a bit of heat to stretch the corner a bit better.

Here is the post off the form.

I will be able to use the same form for the rear of one door and the front of the other side so I only need to make the mirror of this one to make the two sets.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:35 AM   #93
Pebble Pounder

So you guys need to school me a bit on transmissions and motors. I'm looking for good torque at crawling speed. If anyone has seen any of Headquake's videos, that is what i'm going for... Scale trail run wheeling. I've been reading all sorts of stuff and the more I read, the more questions i have. Slipper clutches, planetary, 2-speed, etc. I want to keep the motor/tranny in the engine bay and was thinking of the RC4wd R4 single with the R4 Married LRT-Case as LoneRanger suggested but not sure on what motor /gear combo to run with it. My plans are to run the Baja MTZ on 5 lug white steelies as they are the only option I can find in a scale 33" to fit the uncut rear.

Let me know if I need to post this in a different place (Don't want to break any forum rules).
Old 02-02-2016, 09:46 AM   #94
Rock Crawler

I know what I would run, but, it's a bulky beast. The RC4WD 2-speed Tranny. All metal gears, durable, and the shit flat out works. Geared good. Mated that up with a basic Novak 55t , and it did well. I am trying to get a 2 speed going with my Vaterra right now, and, I am having no success. Burnt out a micro servo last night. Grrrr.. I may just go back to a single speed. Or, somehow make my RC4WD 2-speed work. I am sure there are better options. But, I try to keep mine simple.
SMFtwstdHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:00 AM   #95
Rock Crawler

The R4/LRT combo is hands down the best bet for scale. I have 3 sets of them now and they all run flawless. My best motor is the Holmes hobby 13t crawlmaster. That allows me to crack the throttle and have the tires barely turn..... If I want wheel speed it has that as well (faster than it needs to be). When you dress up the v8 or the straight six it's going to look unbelievable in there.

L.R.
LoneRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:08 PM   #96
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger View Post
The R4/LRT combo is hands down the best bet for scale. I have 3 sets of them now and they all run flawless. My best motor is the Holmes hobby 13t crawlmaster. That allows me to crack the throttle and have the tires barely turn..... If I want wheel speed it has that as well (faster than it needs to be). When you dress up the v8 or the straight six it's going to look unbelievable in there.

L.R.
Thanks for the input. What are you running for ESC? I'm thinking I would love to try and fit the battery in where the front tank would be in the 1:1 and put the rx in a scale rear fuel tank.

I'll build you a frame if you want to swap for a R4/LRT
Old 02-03-2016, 02:11 PM   #97
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMFtwstdHICK View Post
I know what I would run, but, it's a bulky beast. The RC4WD 2-speed Tranny. All metal gears, durable, and the shit flat out works. Geared good. Mated that up with a basic Novak 55t , and it did well. I am trying to get a 2 speed going with my Vaterra right now, and, I am having no success. Burnt out a micro servo last night. Grrrr.. I may just go back to a single speed. Or, somehow make my RC4WD 2-speed work. I am sure there are better options. But, I try to keep mine simple.
can you guys explain what the 55t vs a 13t means. Total noob question I know but then again, i'm a total noob
Old 02-04-2016, 05:47 PM   #98
Rock Crawler

That is a loaded question. It depends on the armature. Generally the higher the turns the slower the motor aka a 55 turn is slower than a 35 turn and so on. This doesn't hold true with the Holmes crawlmaster however as he has a 5 slot armature. So the 13t (in my mind) has the slow speed control of the normal 55 turn, but is also faster than the 35t.

And I use a tekin fxr esc. It's small, inexpensive, and high quality.
L.R.
LoneRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:15 PM   #99
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger View Post
That is a loaded question. It depends on the armature. Generally the higher the turns the slower the motor aka a 55 turn is slower than a 35 turn and so on. This doesn't hold true with the Holmes crawlmaster however as he has a 5 slot armature. So the 13t (in my mind) has the slow speed control of the normal 55 turn, but is also faster than the 35t.

And I use a tekin fxr esc. It's small, inexpensive, and high quality.
L.R.
thanks for the info!
Old 02-04-2016, 06:28 PM   #100
I wanna be Dave

LR is right on. The Holmes Crawlmaster 13t is my favorite motor, and the FXR is a great ESC.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Scale EB Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
~The Scale Shop~ 2008 Scale Nationals Rubicon 2.2 Tuber Build STANG KILLA SS 2.2 Scale Rigs 103 12-10-2010 05:49 PM