Peli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #162
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peli View Post
Tough looking Jeep..well used by the looks of it
Thanks but its a shelf queen actually, it's just my shelves are pretty knarly

It gets used alright, though haven't had much time to take it anywhere. I'm had to stay in my yard for the most part. I'm hoping to take it somewhere next month.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:15 PM   #163
I wanna be Dave

THis thing needs a better servo. I have a 7995 in my XJ and dig but they don't make it anymore, suggestions?

I also need to hook up the winch. I've been told you can hook up the 3racing winch to a 3rd channel radio without using their controller. Any ideas on how to do that?
Old 06-19-2011, 02:14 AM   #164
I wanna be Dave

I ordered up a set of MTHeads rock rings for 1.9 axial wheels to try out some lighter weight wheels. The Jeep took a 15 foot rollover today down some sandstone and it came out unscathed, my buddies rig wasn't so lucky.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:22 AM   #165
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep View Post
THis thing needs a better servo. I have a 7995 in my XJ and dig but they don't make it anymore, suggestions?

I also need to hook up the winch. I've been told you can hook up the 3racing winch to a 3rd channel radio without using their controller. Any ideas on how to do that?
I've had good success with Savöx servos. Strong, high voltage, fast and cheap. All good things in my book.

There's a winch controller that a Canadian guy makes thats somewhere on the board, works real well. I'll have to look him up. Try searching for winch controller. I know he has a few different ones.
NGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:46 AM   #166
Rock Crawler

Your jeep is awesome! I love the look of this rig. We need some more action shots though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Guy View Post
I've had good success with Savöx servos. Strong, high voltage, fast and cheap. All good things in my book.

There's a winch controller that a Canadian guy makes thats somewhere on the board, works real well. I'll have to look him up. Try searching for winch controller. I know he has a few different ones.
I think you are looking for Heyok.

Last edited by Turn'Nburn; 06-19-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Turn'Nburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #167
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Guy View Post

Thanks I'll check them out. I have one of the Heyok controllers in my XJ servo winch. Works pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn'Nburn View Post
Your jeep is awesome! I love the look of this rig. We need some more action shots though.

I think you are looking for Heyok.

Thanks, I'm always to busy driving to take pics. We did take some short video clips of it jumping a natural terrain double. I'll upload them tonight after we move more stuff into our new place.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #168
I wanna be Dave

Finally got everything moved into our new house. Most of it is all in boxes or plastic totes but I was able to get the rings installed. Here's some pics

I used some 2-56 x 3/8" hex head screws. It was a royal pain but worth the scale look. I had to buy a 1/8" driver to install them all. I had to install the bolts all the way and cut off the extra 1/4" then grind them flush with the back of the ring.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #169
I wanna be Dave

Took the Jeep apart today to figure out whats up with the motor and figured I'd hose it again to touch up the rock rash. I'll also paint the panels and install the new 3 piece skid plate. Lights will also get installed, if I can figure out the best way to go about it.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #170
I wanna be Dave

Nobody likes the wheels & beadlocks? I was sure people trip that I was able to use some actual hex head screws. Well I ordered up some steel lockers from RCP and they'll go into some aluminum axle housings after I de-anodize them and coat them black. Soon as I find my camera I post some pics of the updates.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #171
I wanna be Dave

Ok I used my phone to snap these.

Here's the 3 piece skid plate. The nice thing about it is since the chassis is fully welded getting the stock skid out without cutting it, is impossible. With this in place I can take the rig down to the steel chassis alone, so in the future it'll be powder coated.

painted panels
Old 07-21-2011, 03:03 PM   #172
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Nobody likes the wheels & beadlocks? I was sure people trip that I was able to use some actual hex head screws.
I dont think many people read or apreciate that part. they are awesome and love them on mine.

Well I ordered up some steel lockers from RCP and they'll go into some aluminum axle housings after I de-anodize them and coat them black. Soon as I find my camera I post some pics of the updates.
Quote:
Ok I used my phone to snap these.
Let's see the aluminum axles

Here's the 3 piece skid plate. The nice thing about it is since the chassis is fully welded getting the stock skid out without cutting it, is impossible. With this in place I can take the rig down to the steel chassis alone, so in the future it'll be powder coated.

You are always one step ahead of me, makes me want to build another
Killer
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #173
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4crawlin View Post
makes me want to build another one
Lets finish the 4Runner first, then we can build you a buggy
Old 07-21-2011, 04:10 PM   #174
Quarry Creeper

I'd suggest the Hobbico CS-170 servo. It's got mad torque and is titanium geared.
I put one in my XJ about a year ago and I've never had a single issue with it.
Reasonably priced too!

BTW... Nice Jeep man!
209SCXCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:12 PM   #175
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209SCXCRAWLER View Post
I'd suggest the Hobbico CS-170 servo. It's got mad torque and is titanium geared.
I put one in my XJ about a year ago and I've never had a single issue with it.
Reasonably priced too!

BTW... Nice Jeep man!
Thats the servo I wanna get. I had a guy at a LHS who was gonna get me one but they are going under and can't order stuff anymore. I'll hit up my other local shop and see what they want for it.

Toy4crawlin, I won't get the alum. housings till I give him his rig back complete. When's a good time to bring it over? THanks again for the garage use.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:40 PM   #176
I wanna be Dave

Ok so I'm having some issues and I need some guidance to help fix it. It all started with the motor stopping. It'd glitch a bit here and there but got worse till I had no throttle at all. I'm using the Integy Pro Lathe motor with the blue LED on the endbell. The LED would light up but no go. I figured it was the brushes and I replaced them with the only ones the LHS had which were some half notched ones. I put them in and it worked again, for a short time. Now, it glitches again but now when the throttle goes so does the steering. Sounds like I need a BEC but not sure why I didn't need one before now. Especially since I didn't change anything but brushes.

Not sure what the hells going on. I've got a Holmes Hobbies Torque Master 35t I'll swap in and try that. Oh and the ESC is a tekin FXR in case anyone asks.

Any help with this issue would be great.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #177
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Ok so I'm having some issues and I need some guidance to help fix it. It all started with the motor stopping. It'd glitch a bit here and there but got worse till I had no throttle at all. I'm using the Integy Pro Lathe motor with the blue LED on the endbell. The LED would light up but no go. I figured it was the brushes and I replaced them with the only ones the LHS had which were some half notched ones. I put them in and it worked again, for a short time. Now, it glitches again but now when the throttle goes so does the steering. Sounds like I need a BEC but not sure why I didn't need one before now. Especially since I didn't change anything but brushes.

Not sure what the hells going on. I've got a Holmes Hobbies Torque Master 35t I'll swap in and try that. Oh and the ESC is a tekin FXR in case anyone asks.

Any help with this issue would be great.
I had a very similar problem with an Axiom Handwound a long time ago with the LED's too. It ended up being the motor, replaced it and no more problems. I would try swapping that other motor in and see if that fixed the problem.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:25 AM   #178
I wanna be Dave

Ya I'm gonna try it, it sucks cause I have to remove the body panels and the whole interior to do so. Oh well it is what it is.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #179
I wanna be Dave

Swapped in a new 35t TorqueMaster from HH drove it for a few minutes and it's doing it again, but I've got my steering back. I emailed Tekin asking them for advice. I also finally got my winch working. I used the 3Racing controller and plugged it into my RX, snipped the Tamiya connector off and soldered the leads to the battery terminals on the ESC. I can control it with my DX3E just fine. I'm stoked about that but hella! bummed about the motor setup.

I'm running a 3S lipo and a 87/20t gear combo. Should I try to gear down? Please anyone have any suggestions?
Old 08-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #180
I wanna be Dave

just for the heck of it put in a 2s

Those darn ESC lipo cutoffs, I hate it when they let your lipo go to low

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 08-01-2011 at 08:37 PM.
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote