Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Dlux Sportsman build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #201
Fifth dimension

Default Re: Dlux Sportsman build

I'm so happy your into it Erik. Looking forward to seeing her all mounted up. Thanks to all for the kind words. Now on to more Dlux tech!
Crawllife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #202
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSurfer View Post
Looking killer D can't wait to see it in person next weekend. Liking all the 1 off custom stuff and all the carbon.
Thanks DeanO! I am excited for this weekend. Should be fun doing something a bit different.

I hope youre still planning on bringing your hoopty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Another Sick body by Crawllife!!

David does some Awesome work, I have 2 lids now and both were created the same way.. very slight detail on my part, just let him go to town and see what shows up..
Yeah, the man is an artist! Maybe we should take all the credit for the art work so David does not get swamped with a bunch of "do your own thing" requests?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawllife View Post
I'm so happy your into it Erik. Looking forward to seeing her all mounted up. Thanks to all for the kind words. Now on to more Dlux tech!
No need to move on so quickly. Lets relish the moment.

Thanks again!
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #203
I wanna be Dave

I agree.. let's relish. Mmm, relish.. I'm hungry!

Ur right Erik, I picked the color... kinda.. lol

"Do ur own thing" lids, cost an extra fee.. :cool:
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #204
RCC Addict

I had a gander at this body last week when he finished it (photos of course). It took me 5 minutes to find that damn crown! Excellent compliment to this build for sure.
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:08 AM   #205
RCC Addict

Is it mounted yet or what? This is taking forever!
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:48 AM   #206
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
This will be my slowest build ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubs179 View Post
Is it mounted yet or what? This is taking forever!
You were warned.

You act like mounting a body is as easy as drilling two holes and sliding it on
Old 10-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #207
TSK
Shelf queen

I bet you are CNC'ing a fixture as we speak just to get the holes lined up Juuuuuuuiiuuuuist right.

Last edited by TSK; 10-21-2013 at 11:54 AM.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #208
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
Motor is on the way...

Conflux .020 Can
CB20 Skewed Cobalt magnets
Sagami Endbell w/ standups
25t Type GT Armature Ground, Polished, Dyed Epoxy Balanced

I didn't bother with a lot of the lightweight stuff, since the cobalts defeat the purpose of lightweight. However, I went with a lower turn armature, as the Cobalts can bring down RPM, so I countered that with the 25t. I really wanna break those driveshafts too!:P

Later EddieO
I don't know what all that crazy talk meen's , but I think I want one.
hellbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #209
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
I bet you are CNC'ing a fixture as we speak just to get the holes lined up Juuuuuuuiiuuuuist right.
I bet he has it mounted already and is just making use wait to build suspense.
chris.martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #210
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Actaully, just the opposite. I have a really hard time putting any effort into something that is not mechanical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbounder View Post
I don't know what all that crazy talk meen's , but I think I want one.
Yeah, super bad ass!

I got the motor from Brood today.

6.9oz for this guy or just .4oz over what an average motor would be. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #211
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.martell View Post
I bet he has it mounted already and is just making use wait to build suspense.
It is mounted and I actually do have pictures. I am not holding out to build suspense though, I just cant take a picture of it done without leaking pictures of products I dont want people to see just yet.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #212
Wanna get? Gotta want.

So, I have a couple of HUGE gripes about the motor I got from Brood.

First, working with this motor is a MAJOR pain in the ass. You probably wouldnt understand when I say this unless you have some of his axle buster motors but, the magnet is so overly strong that its a horrible motor to work on or around. When I was trying to install the motor I have to come from the side since some of the chassis is in the way. Every time I wanted to put a screw in it would either pull my entire driver away or the screw off my driver. I also have to put washers behind the CF and between the motor to clear a bearing. While trying to put those washers in with my leatherman the motor would either pull the leatherman out of my hand or the washers. The magnets are so stupid strong. Its a good thing this is what makes the motor bad ass, I was tempted to throw the motor on the ground!

My second gripe is that the motor broke my trans! I put the motor in and was driving it for the first time. Torque is incredible and wheel speed was just ok. Thats about where I like my motors. I drove it around for about 5 min on my wood pile and was having fun with it and then I noticed that my throttle EPA's were at 100 (out of 140). Hey, lets turn those up, right? I turned it up to 140, grabbed a finger full of reverse, the car flipped on its top and stripped my spur gear all at the same time. Never mind not having wheel speed, these things are pissed! After so many versions of the trans, I ran out of 1/8 CF so I used some 3/32 I had laying around thinking it would be ok but the 3/32 gave and let my plate flex. Broods motors immediately smacked it down and said "Oh no you didnt, mmmm,mmm" (I am sure somebody can find an appropriate pic on the net for that).

So, EddieO, you win this round but my trans will be back.

Last gripe is my fault. Broods motors are a touch different than an Integy so the end bell was a bit further back and the arm was too. This too away my engagement for the pinion. I ordered longer pinions but while I am waiting I made an extension out of TI.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #213
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
So, I have a couple of HUGE gripes about the motor I got from Brood.

First, working with this motor is a MAJOR pain in the ass. You probably wouldnt understand when I say this unless you have some of his axle buster motors but, the magnet is so overly strong that its a horrible motor to work on or around. When I was trying to install the motor I have to come from the side since some of the chassis is in the way. Every time I wanted to put a screw in it would either pull my entire driver away or the screw off my driver. I also have to put washers behind the CF and between the motor to clear a bearing. While trying to put those washers in with my leatherman the motor would either pull the leatherman out of my hand or the washers. The magnets are so stupid strong. Its a good thing this is what makes the motor bad ass, I was tempted to throw the motor on the ground!

My second gripe is that the motor broke my trans! I put the motor in and was driving it for the first time. Torque is incredible and wheel speed was just ok. Thats about where I like my motors. I drove it around for about 5 min on my wood pile and was having fun with it and then I noticed that my throttle EPA's were at 100 (out of 140). Hey, lets turn those up, right? I turned it up to 140, grabbed a finger full of reverse, the car flipped on its top and stripped my spur gear all at the same time. Never mind not having wheel speed, these things are pissed! After so many versions of the trans, I ran out of 1/8 CF so I used some 3/32 I had laying around thinking it would be ok but the 3/32 gave and let my plate flex. Broods motors immediately smacked it down and said "Oh no you didnt, mmmm,mmm" (I am sure somebody can find an appropriate pic on the net for that).

So, EddieO, you win this round but my trans will be back.

Last gripe is my fault. Broods motors are a touch different than an Integy so the end bell was a bit further back and the arm was too. This too away my engagement for the pinion. I ordered longer pinions but while I am waiting I made an extension out of TI.

Don't you know you can't take a full blown 3000hp drag motor and put it in a 65 vw bug and expect it not to shred its drive train .....
ax10tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #214
Rock Crawler

That motor souds insane!
chris.martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #215
TSK
Shelf queen

Ouch. Good way to test out a new transmission though. I know exactly what you mean though. That damn SISU I was installing in my Sucker Punch last night was giving me trouble when trying to get the mesh juuuuuuuuust right. The magnets were so strong it kept pulling the motor towards the top shaft and steel top gaer inside case. It's like it knew it was gonna need full tooth engagement to prevent stripping the 32p gears.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #216
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax10tn View Post
Don't you know you can't take a full blown 3000hp drag motor and put it in a 65 vw bug and expect it not to shred its drive train .....
Time to upgrade my bug drivetrain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.martell View Post
That motor souds insane!
You have no idea!

I did have high expectations since I tested the CB20 magnets in my super. If it gives you an idea of how well they worked in my super, when I was testing them for EddieO, I instantly told him that he will never be getting them back, and he didnt

The motor is well worth the tiny bit of weight in an application where ungodly amounts of torque are needed.

Quote:
Ouch. Good way to test out a new transmission though. I know exactly what you mean though. That damn SISU I was installing in my Sucker Punch last night was giving me trouble when trying to get the mesh juuuuuuuuust right. The magnets were so strong it kept pulling the motor towards the top shaft and steel top gaer inside case. It's like it knew it was gonna need full tooth engagement to prevent stripping the 32p gears.
Yeah, couldn't be happier with the motor so far!
Old 10-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #217
Rock Crawler

I think Brood needs to provide some plastic tools for motor installation......lol...

It sounds insane....
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:17 AM   #218
RCC Addict

This news makes me giddy and nervous to run my conflux motors.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:40 AM   #219
I wanna be Dave

What gears are you using in that transmission? You said that you are using washers between the motor and motor plate to clear one of the transmission bearings. Isn't this going to let your motor rock on the washers and promote stripping of the spur? What about cutting a piece of cf that covers the mounting surface of the motor to space it instead of using the washers. Oooorrr, If you have room you could cut a cf washer to space that bearing into the transmission.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:42 AM   #220
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curcal View Post
This news makes me giddy and nervous to run my conflux motors.
It makes ME nervous about your motors. I have always told you this but I think you discounted it. Its going to be a bad decision if you dont know how to control them. Lots of broken parts. I myself may even turn my EPAs back down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigels_world View Post
What gears are you using in that transmission? You said that you are using washers between the motor and motor plate to clear one of the transmission bearings. Isn't this going to let your motor rock on the washers and promote stripping of the spur? What about cutting a piece of cf that covers the mounting surface of the motor to space it instead of using the washers. Oooorrr, If you have room you could cut a cf washer to space that bearing into the transmission.
As soon as I cut the back piece out of 1/8" I wont need to use washers. All the flex is from the plate itself.

Dlux Sportsman build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dlux Berg Build Erik D_lux EnRoute Berg 1696 05-22-2018 10:10 PM
DLUX super build Erik D_lux Superclass Crawlers 578 07-20-2016 09:13 AM
Dlux Wraith Build Erik D_lux Axial Wraith 95 09-03-2012 11:09 PM
Dlux mini build Erik D_lux Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 92 09-22-2011 05:28 PM