Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Locked Up's SCX10 - Trail Ready H2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 10:23 PM   #121
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Default Re: Locked Up's SCX10 - Trail Ready H2

So the clean up has started.

We have a comp this weekend so I want to get it cleaned up for that .... then will probably need to reclean it!

Here is what I started with.

The first set of our 8L Iconic wheels ever.
These were wrapped in lead & foam, soaked and never drained. So there is obvious nasty around the outside.
As you can see the old chrome plated hardware that was hand cut (this was before our M2x1 hardware so each bolt was cut with a dremel) left a little rusty residue as well. This was only because I had to cut the screws down and our modern screws do not have this issue!

YUCK!

It's my own fault .... I do this a lot:

Tires are an obvious clean job. Water, soap and a brush.

For the wheels and rings it required a little more work. I removed all the hardware and chucked up the wheels in my lathe then hit them with a mix of sandpaper and abrasive pads. MUCH better!

The rings do still have some of the deeper scratches but they cleaned up pretty well. Note that these Inspired rings are a custom stainless set, so the color is a hair different on them from the Agile rings I am using for inners. You will also notice I stepped up to our MCZ bolts and got rid of the original chrome hardware. Finally!

On that note ... I am still working on how to handle the inner fronts. I had been using the ugly a$$ big fat washers pictured above for the added weight but am sick of them ruining all my pictures. So I need to figure out how to add the weight back on if I am going to remove them. I suppose I could machine them to take screws but they are steel so they would rust even more ... maybe time for a set of SS Agile rings that fit into the wheel ad add additional weight some how .... will have to think about that overnight.

Last edited by Locked Up; 12-10-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #122
I wanna be Dave

Damn those wheels look new. Still think these are one of the best looking scale wheels out there.
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #123
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

For whatever reason I decided the H2 needs a spare tire.

I had intended on using a Mud Thrasher for a spare (because that what I had lying around) but it's not worth points in SORRCA class 1 because it is more than .25" smaller.

The only other thing I have lying around is a Flatiron but they don't really look that scale to me.

then I remembered someone saying they had rounded off the edges of their Flatiron and it looked better ... so I decided to give it a go.

Guess which one I sanded down?

The other thing I needed to do was update the hubs. I had swiped my older hubs for the Wraith so I decided to paint up a few loose prototype hubs I had lying around for the H2. Since it is scheduled to be decommissioned (yes I said that) I figure having these on there won;t be too big of a deal when it is just shelf candy.

My process is to just coat the face with a paint pen. make sure you get in the holes well. Then come back with a light sand paper to remove the paint from the face and edges. Normally I would have cleaned up the center a bit more so that the part you twist (in 1:1) also had the paint removed but for the sake of being done for the competition I skipped it. I will update that when I get to them again.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #124
Rock Crawler

Looking mighty fine sir - I had a similar thought about my spare...
sgtbham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #125
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

I almost forgot....

As I was cleaning up after the comp I noticed this:

It's as if the H2 wants to be put out to pasture.

If you can't tell that is a front driveshaft that has lost the MIP internal parts ..... that I will NOT be replacing!

How the fudge did I finish the course like that and not notice!

Last edited by Locked Up; 12-19-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #126
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked Up View Post
The only other thing I have lying around is a Flatiron but they don't really look that scale to me.

then I remembered someone saying they had rounded off the edges of their Flatiron and it looked better ... so I decided to give it a go.
You mean back when we got our first SCX10s in '09? Although, I left tread on mine.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #127
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
You mean back when we got our first SCX10s in '09? Although, I left tread on mine.
I forgot you had done that...
It's been so long since I saw you drive one I don't associate you with RC anymore.

I actually took off more than I intended to .... but maybe I can "retread" it somehow.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #128
I wanna be Dave

I dunno I'm willin to bet those bite hard being shaved down that much. Just don't know how much mud they'll sling.
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:34 PM   #129

This thread is amazing! You have done some incredible work man. I ordered my h2 body a few days ago and this thread makes me anxious to start! If have gmade 93 mm shocks on my chassis. What tire do you think fits under that body the best? I'm going for as scale as possible. Keep the pics coming man!!
southbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:26 PM   #130
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbend View Post
This thread is amazing! You have done some incredible work man. I ordered my h2 body a few days ago and this thread makes me anxious to start! If have gmade 93 mm shocks on my chassis. What tire do you think fits under that body the best? I'm going for as scale as possible. Keep the pics coming man!!
Thanks!

The tire size really depends on how/where you mount the chassis but I think the 4.2" range is a nice fit. Anything smaller and the axles look to big. Anything larger and you would really need to modify the wheel wells or mount the body up really high.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:29 AM   #131

U have 1.9s or 1.55 Baja claws on it right now?
Old 03-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #132
RCC Addict

Quote:
1.9" MTZ's fit pretty nice

So what happened to the H2 Locked, finally take the old girl behind the shed? lol
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #133
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
U have 1.9s or 1.55 Baja claws on it right now?
1.9s.

Nope. It had a place all picked out for retirement on the shelf ... then we decided to go to Utah for the scale nats so ... it's like Brett Favre.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #134

I'm gonna run axial wheels with locked up mirror wheel rings. Wrap those with the tsl xs tires. They are about 4.30 I think. Hoping it fits nicely. I'm not talented when it comes to metal making so I haven't figured out what I want to do for the bumper yet. I'm going to run a winch front and rear and a roof rack that has led lights front and back with a full light kit. Haven't really thought of anything else yet.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #135
RCC Addict

Quote:
I'm gonna run axial wheels with locked up mirror wheel rings. Wrap those with the tsl xs tires. They are about 4.30 I think. Hoping it fits nicely. I'm not talented when it comes to metal making so I haven't figured out what I want to do for the bumper yet. I'm going to run a winch front and rear and a roof rack that has led lights front and back with a full light kit. Haven't really thought of anything else yet.
Here's what they look like with the TSL's:

canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:26 PM   #136

I read ur thread too. Both ur guys thread have been extremely helpful with my prep. I still haven quite figured out the mounting yet either but I think I just need the body in my hands to understand it. Thank you again with all ur pics and help guys
Old 03-04-2014, 04:18 AM   #137

pat/ where are you mounting your spare? ordered my body yesterday and its already on its way thanks.
scale jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:00 AM   #138
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scale jim View Post
pat/ where are you mounting your spare? ordered my body yesterday and its already on its way thanks.
IF I end up mounting mine, I will mount it in either the cargo area or to the tailgate. More than likely i will try to get it inside so it doesn't hang on stuff.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #139

it would do better inside, any points for a spare?
scale jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:18 PM   #140
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scale jim View Post
it would do better inside, any points for a spare?
You can get points for a spare. Just depends on what all you have that falls into the functional category for scale points.