Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Natedog's Honcho kit build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 03:09 AM   #141
RCC Addict

Default Re: Natedog's Honcho kit build

This Rig is looking good Mr. dog. I can't wait to get out for a test session again.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2013, 04:56 AM   #142
Rock Crawler

Awesome build to read through!
2manyprojects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:19 AM   #143
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbend View Post
sick build man. im new to this stuff and you heped me open up my plain of view. pics are super helpful!
Welcome to RC crawling and thanks, I try to include good pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
This Rig is looking good Mr. dog. I can't wait to get out for a test session again.
Thanks yours is shaping up very nicely too, can't wait either! I see you found the Axial shock leak fix post a couple pages back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyprojects View Post
Awesome build to read through!
Thanks!

Last edited by Natedog; 08-15-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:23 PM   #144
I wanna be Dave

Had a great crawl this last weekend with Rockhugger! Lots of testing, breaking and upgrade plans! I can't believe how well his Honcho crawls without any weight in the wheels! The whole truck just plain works...love that front bumper too! I made my list of next Honcho upgrades last night.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #145
I wanna be Dave

Sliders before:

Sliders after, work much better tucked in! It doesn't get hung up as much in tight squeezes and really pivots around rocks with them now...great cheap mod.

Bottom view of my slider mod.

The Axial 1.9 Ripsaws R35 compound are the perfect size and work great for Honcho, but my stock foams are done! The fold over on sidehills bad and will ball up like a funny car drag slick on high traction surfaces, what do you all recommend for replacements?

Last edited by Natedog; 09-25-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #146
I wanna be Dave

I removed a stock foam from a spare tire/wheel and stock Ripsaw foam is 3 15/16" outer diameter, 1 15/16: ID, 1 3/8" wide.

Panther F400 is 4 13/16" OD, 1 7/8" ID, 2" wide.

Last edited by Natedog; 09-20-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:48 AM   #147
Rock Crawler

Crawler innovations foams can't be beat by far the best foams available In my opinion.
http://www.crawlerinnovations.com/in...d=10&Itemid=64
More choices than you could ever want.
Sent from my iPhone in the shop

Last edited by fordsuperduty; 09-21-2013 at 05:52 AM.
fordsuperduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #148
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordsuperduty View Post
Crawler innovations foams can't be beat by far the best foams available In my opinion.
Lil' Nova Foams
More choices than you could ever want.
Thanks, ordered CI lil novas dual stage. All 4.25"....one set soft, two sets medium and one set firm, this way can tune and try the different foams.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #149
I wanna be Dave

Forgot to post a pic of testing new 6 LED setup. This was before the last crawl session and we had a good night crawl with them. The four frame rail mounted lights can be rotated fore and aft to adjust the beam, front bumper mounted lights can be angled side to side.

Last edited by Natedog; 09-23-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:28 PM   #150
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post

Thanks, ordered CI lil novas dual stage. All 4.25"....one set soft, two sets medium and one set firm, this way can tune and try the different foams.
You made a great choice my suggestion is run the med to firms in the rear but it really depends on your rigs weight

fordsuperduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #151
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordsuperduty View Post
You made a great choice my suggestion is run the med to firms in the rear but it really depends on your rigs weight

Thanks for the input! Received CI Lil Nova Dual Stage foam assortment today, fast shipping thanks! Playing with wheels, tires and a bunch of foams right now!

Stock Axial 1.9 eight hole beadlocks weigh 36.5 grams each (wheel, inner/outer rings and screws.)

I've been looking at HR Hot Racing and RC4WD steel 1.9 beadlocks.

I really like these:
Hot Racing BLW19S38, 1.9 White Steel S Wheel Hot Racing Axial SCX-10 Scale Truck RC Car upgrades and Hop-ups
FEATURES:
Stamped Steel wheel design smoothed out with nickel plating and then finished with durable powder coating.
Wheels center lock ring and pin hub (for 5mm axle) are CNC constructed of 6061 aluminum,

SPECIFICATIONS:
width: 18.mm
diameter: 59.5
Pin mount (fit Most 5mm axle)
Fit 1.9" size tires
Removable center hub
Three pc. beadlock system

Hot Racing BLW19H38, 1.9 White Steel H Wheel
Hot Racing Axial SCX-10 Scale Truck RC Car upgrades and Hop-ups
FEATURES:
Stamped Steel wheel design smoothed out with nickel plating and then finished with durable powder coating
Wheels center lock ring and pin hub are CNC constructed of 6061 aluminum,

SPECIFICATIONS:
width: 18.mm
diameter: 59.5
Pin mount (fit any 1.9 axle)
Fit 1.9" size tires
Removable center hub
Three pc. beadlock system

RC4WD 5 Lug Wagon 1.9 Steel Stamped Beadlock Wheels (White)
Part Number Z-W0127
5 Lug Wagon 1.9 Steel Stamped Beadlock Wheels (White)

Specification:
Wheel Size 1.9"
Each wheel weight: 2.5oz / 71g
Wheel width: 25mm / 1.0 inch
Negative Offset: 9mm / 0.37 inch
OD: 48.26mm / 2.2 inch
Fit 1.9" size tires
Removable center hub
Internal beadlock system
Engineered by RC4WD Team UK

6 Lug Wagon 1.9 Steel Stamped Beadlock Wheels (White)
Part Number Z-W0128
6 Lug Wagon 1.9 Steel Stamped Beadlock Wheels (White)

Specification:
Wheel Size 1.9"
Each wheel weight: 2.5oz / 71g
Wheel width: 25mm / 1.0 inch
Negative Offset: 9mm / 0.37 inch
OD: 48.26mm/ 2.1 inch
Fit 1.9" size tires
Removable center hub
Internal beadlock system
Engineered by RC4WD Team UK

The HR are 18mm (about 3/4") wide almost same as stock Axial 8-hole wheels, offset not stated. RC4WD are 25mm (about 1") and list offset as negative 9mm...need to check offset of Axials. Whose used these wheels with Axial Ripsaws? Any other input appreciated.

Last edited by Natedog; 09-25-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #152
I wanna be Dave

Stock Ripsaw foams are about 5g each.
Crawler Innovations Double Deuce 4.25" soft and medium foams are just under 8g each
Crawler Innovations Double Deuce 4.25" firm foams are just over 8g each
1.9 Axial Ripsaw (without foam) is about TBD
Old 09-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #153
I wanna be Dave

Foams to play with!

Last edited by Natedog; 09-26-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #154
I wanna be Dave

Eddie at Crawler Innovations sent a prototype set of Deuce's Wild 1.9 Closed Cell Single Stage Foams for the Axial 1.9 Ripsaws with my foam order, thanks Eddie!
His site: http://www.crawlerinnovations.com/

He has giveaway here for his 1.9 Pitbull version: *GIVEAWAY* Crawler Innovations Deuce's Wild 1.9" CC Single Stage Foam Set *GIVEAWAY**
Protoype foam on left standing upright on top of the Double Deuce foams.

Here's my front right Ripsaw with worn out stock foam, sits very nice but sidehill sucks and it will wad up in a bind:

Front left Ripsaw with prototype Deuce's Wild 1.9 Closed Cell Single Stage Foam (yes I know it's a new tire, not used like my others, just put it in spare tire/wheel to see how it sits under my truck.) I'ts going to get tested in my other wheels with used Ripsaws and the weight that is currently in them, so that it's a good comparison to my baseline setup!

Another prototype foam next to the tire/wheel with proto foam installed for height comparison. When this foam is installed in Ripsaw it fills the tire sidewall and fits the wheel perfectly. There is maybe 1/4" gap between outer surface of foam and inner surface of the tire carcas, and therefore this firm closed cell foam sits very nicely with a great looking contact patch. I did a simulated sidehill test with it versus wore out stock foam, the stocker folds over almost until the beadlock touches the ground! The Deuce's Wild 1.9 Closed Cell Single Stage Foam stays very nicely supported! My first impression is that these are going to be very good foams. I'm excited to get these out for back to back testing! More pics to come.

Last edited by Natedog; 09-28-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #155
I wanna be Dave

Will bet testing with these wheels too:

Hot Racing
BLW19HS38
1.9 White Steel H Wheel Hex Drive

They are enroute now so I haven't had a chance to touch them yet, but they look great and the price is right. Anybody know the offset?
Old 10-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #156
I wanna be Dave

Bam, these Crawler Innovations foams kick ass, one of the best mods I've done so far! Great bang for the buck! Last night Rockhugger and I mounted up all the different foams with 1.9 Ripsaws and same wheels for all, did several hours of testing all on the same terrain with a nice vertical ledge and these foams are excellent! On 3s geared 20/87 the truck would spin and hop looking for traction as the skidplate bottomed out, then grab traction jump up and over the ledge, even when landing an endo, nailing the throttle it just landed, hooked up and took off! Way less hop and bounce, very predictable and great traction, makes the suspension do work. Sidehilling, steering and even turning into the vertical ledge at full lock left or right the tires grab traction and climb, very nicely damped tire action.

I'm going with soft front and medium rear Double Deuce 4.25", also have second pair of mediums, one pair of firms and the prototype Deuces Wild closed cell single stage for 1.9 Ripsaws all mounted on the same wheels without any added weight. These will be going out to a large granite slab test area for more testing and tuning on my truck and Rockhugger's heavier truck.

CI Lil Novas Double Deuce. All 4.25"....one set soft, two sets medium and one set firm, this way can tune and try the different foams.
...And a prototype set of Deuce's Wild 1.9 Closed Cell Single Stage Foams for the Axial 1.9 Ripsaws with my foam order, thanks Eddie!
Crawler Tires, Crawler Foams, Parts and Accessories by Crawler Innovations

After checking out Rockhugger's set I ordered these Hot Racing wheels BLW19HS01, 1.9 Black Steel H Wheel Hex Drive, 6 Lug 8 hole design 1.9 Steel Stamped Beadlock Wheels (Black) so far they are very nice, went together pretty easily. Took a little more work to assemble with the firmer dual foams, but not bad and they hold a bead even when I grabbed and pulled hard....stretched the tire, let go and it snapped right back....bead never even thought about budging! They make the track about 5 - 6mm per side wider without changing the wheel hexes, but are easily fine tuned with stock narrow hexes and wider Traxxas Stampede 4x2 front hexes.

Some pics, more to come.

Last edited by Natedog; 10-01-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #157
RCC Addict

Quote:
Will bet testing with these wheels too:

Hot Racing
BLW19HS38
1.9 White Steel H Wheel Hex Drive

They are enroute now so I haven't had a chance to touch them yet, but they look great and the price is right. Anybody know the offset?
Quote:
Bam, these Crawler Innovations foams kick ass, one of the best mods I've done so far! Great bang for the buck! Last night mounted up all the different foams with 1.9 Ripsaws and same wheels for all, did several hours of testing all on the same terrain with a nice vertical ledge and these foams are excellent! On 3s geared 20/87 the truck would spin and hop looking for traction as the skidplate bottomed out, then grab traction jump up and over the ledge, even when landing an endo, nailing the throttle it just landed, hooked up and took off! Way less hop and bounce, very predictable and great traction, makes the suspension do work. Sidehilling, steering and even turning into the vertical ledge at full lock left or right the tires grab traction and climb, very nicely damped tire action.

I'm going with soft front and medium rear Double Deuce 4.25", also have second pair of mediums, one pair of firms and the prototype Deuces Wild closed cell single stage for 1.9 Ripsaws all mounted on the same wheels without any added weight. These will be going out to a large granite slab test area for more testing and tuning on my truck and a heavier truck.

CI Lil Novas Double Deuce. All 4.25"....one set soft, two sets medium and one set firm, this way can tune and try the different foams.
...And a prototype set of Deuce's Wild 1.9 Closed Cell Single Stage Foams for the Axial 1.9 Ripsaws with my foam order, thanks Eddie!
Crawler Tires, Crawler Foams, Parts and Accessories by Crawler Innovations

I bought these Hot Racing wheels BLW19HS01, 1.9 Black Steel H Wheel Hex Drive, 6 Lug 8 hole design 1.9 Steel Stamped Beadlock Wheels (Black) so far they are very nice, went together pretty easily. Took a little more work to assemble with the firmer dual foams, but not bad and they hold a bead even when I grabbed and pulled hard....stretched the tire, let go and it snapped right back....bead never even thought about budging! They make the track about 5 - 6mm per side wider without changing the wheel hexes, but are easily fine tuned with stock narrow hexes and wider Traxxas Stampede 4x2 front hexes.

Some pics, more to come.

I call bullshit, give me my wheels bck !!!!
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #158
I wanna be Dave

Well, so this exact set isn't mine. Dammit Jim!
Old 10-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #159
I wanna be Dave

Making curley cues

Little work done...rings were 18g each before drilling, 15.5g each after the four holes.

Painted, baked at 200F for one hour after each coat and ready to assemble. The paint feels much harder than if they were just painted and left to dry. Rustoleum gloss protective enamel #7786, Smoke Gray.

Last edited by Natedog; 10-13-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #160
I wanna be Dave

My whole front axle has been getting pretty wobbly, looks like a bunch of camber lol. Rebuilding front axle with a few upgrades, first up is Axial HD bevel gearset 36T/14T, part # AX30401, loctited to Hot Racing steel spool, part # SCP125R.