Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Pham's VP Axial SCX-10 JK Jeep Wrangler Unlmited Rubicon - Unlimited Budget Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #221
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Pham's VP Axial SCX-10 JK Jeep Wrangler Unlmited Rubicon - Unlimited Budget Proje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Owl View Post
And does it run on any trails/competitions event? or just for the shelf queen.
I really like to see how it performs....on the trails w/ all that $$$$
It is built for competitions mainly for Recon G6, I have a Honcho built very similar with about the same amount of money into it as this Jeep and that has won many comps. As of right now the Jeep still hasn't seen dirt yet. I am debating whether or not to use it for Axial Fest. It just sucks to beat on something you spent what seems like a million hours to do because if I use it for comp I am not going to be easy on it. We shall see.
nissan_driver24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #222

What items didn't you list that aren't available? Just curious...

Thanks,
B
Be.jammmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #223
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Pham's VP Axial SCX-10 JK Jeep Wrangler Unlmited Rubicon - Unlimited Budget Proje

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang View Post
and i thought i was nuts spending 1,500 on mine..
I fallen deep into this hobby since I stop building real cars... My women Honcho has $1500 in it and she never drives it (although it's one of my spare rig I have used for certain comps), my main rig also a honcho has a little over 3k.... the things we do for this hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be.jammmin View Post
What items didn't you list that aren't available? Just curious...

Thanks,
B
The VP cms, VP panhard setup, and VP rock slider holder
Old 06-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #224
RCC Addict

Rock slider holder? What....
Maddog Madigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #225
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan_driver24 View Post
UPDATE!!!

So I finally decided to stop being lazy and finsh the last major parts of this rig. First was to setup the telemetry for speed and motor temp, wire up the winch/add winch line, and lastly I have almost been dreading the lights wiring the whole entire time. I wanted top off all of the light by added some chassis lights which include rock lights and bumper lights. Anyways here's the finshed product after spending over 15hours the last couple of days having sore finger tips stripping wires, shrink tubing, and solder everything in.

On to the pictures!!!

Telemetry Installed RPM sensor was installed with a braket I made out of lexan to read spur gear rotation via white dot on the spur gear holder, calibration was made through the controller. Temp sensor was mounted on the motor and just installed with the all high tech zip tie. Truck tops out at 13mph!!! Pretty quick for a scaler.

Next! Winch was worked on, harness was installed onto winch and connectors were installed so it could be paired with the Tekin B1R. I spooled up almsot 20ft of the best line I have ever use.

Battery tray was installed. I cut the original Axial metal battery tray a couple inches shorter, drilled and coutersink a couple of holes to mount it all on top of the Axial RX box after the steering servo, velcro was added for better hold on the battery. My power comes from a Thunder Power G6 3s 11.1v 2250mah 65C battery, which fits perfectly in the area it is given.

Rear end lights there are a total of 14 LED lights in the rear of this truck, I love how the rear rock lights came out really showing off the VP Currie axle.

Chassis wiring is finally done. I could almost swear I have hundreds of feet of wiring and shrink tubing in the rig. I tried my best to keep it all clean, functional, and intuitive. For how much I had to hide it think it came out good (please be nice with the comments .

Jeep JK body finshed up with the lights harness, 2 light bars and 14 LEDS total.

Wondering how I tie the body to the chassis for lights??? with one 4 pin micro dean and one 2 pin micro dean connectors. Why so many????? You may ask, because the body needs 3 different inputs of power/voltage. It is all quick disconnect and I tired to keep this part clean as possible which for me was very difficult to figure out.

Final pics of this post!!! Since I used a Tekin B1R speed controller as my light controller I was able to turn off and on certain lights at certain points.

Between the 2 VP lights bars and my custom headlights and lights the output of Lumens is just crazy. By far brightest lights ever put on an RC Car Here's a comparison against my Axial VP Honcho pointing down a dark hallway. Notice the Jeep is better at lights going the distance where's the Honcho is better at a closer range.

Jeep JK
Honcho

After well over 6 months on this build I am going to get to play with it, stay tuned for action pics and videos. I can't say I'm done with the rig because nothing is ever done but I am pleased with where it has come. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE comment and tell me what you guys think!!! Thank You
Oh this is what you meant....
Maddog Madigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #226
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog Madigan View Post
Oh this is what you meant....
Yeah pictures were showing them off for a while now but no one ever asked or assumed. Since Be.jammmin asked me I answered
Old 06-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #227
Rock Stacker

my jaw is on the floor!i love this jk!good job man that jeep is priceless!lol
bustamantealdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #228

Wow that thing is bright!
AvriX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #229
I wanna be Dave

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER add up your parts costs!!! For the noobs, you'll realize this is a big boy's game. For those of us in the fray...you're only rushing us into rehab!

Paypall contacted me recently and told me I had to be "verified" for being close to 10k. That's not good. That's not good at all.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #230
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustamantealdo View Post
my jaw is on the floor!i love this jk!good job man that jeep is priceless!lol
Thank You, I appreciate the comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvriX View Post
Wow that thing is bright!
It is very bright unfortunately pictures does not do enough justice and that's the reason why it's all on an ESC so I can turn it down or off with a touch of a button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER add up your parts costs!!! For the noobs, you'll realize this is a big boy's game. For those of us in the fray...you're only rushing us into rehab!

Paypall contacted me recently and told me I had to be "verified" for being close to 10k. That's not good. That's not good at all.
Sorry, I feel different about that I guess than others. The parts/price list is for information purposes. Like I tell most of my customers at work that think it's too expensive of a hobby, it's better than wasting my money on drugs.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #231
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Sorry, I feel different about that I guess than others. The parts/price list is for information purposes. Like I tell most of my customers at work that think it's too expensive of a hobby, it's better than wasting my money on drugs.

thumbs up for that answer
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #232
Pebble Pounder

I agree 100% on that man. The my 1:1 rock crawling days are over and Im not dumping tons of money into my rigs, I have no problem spending the money on my RC's. It's basically the cost of fun.

I do however really hate it, when I run something like my Exo buggy that I have about $1500 in at the park for my kids (5 and 3) they love to chase it and love to brag about "My Dads" toys. But then i get a bunch of little kids asking can I drive it, and the answer is nice but its always "sorry this isnt a toy RC this is a very expensive RC hobby car that is dangerous for you to drive"

The money we spend on our RC's just shows some dedication, a lot of folks dont have tons of cash lying around to throw at thier crawlers, and there are always cheaper alternatives that can almost reach the desired effect of some of the high end stuff. The name of the game is fun, if it's fun and you enjoy it RTR, Built, bought what ever its up to you how far you want to go, and no one should judge anyone on "How much" a person spent or how little a person spent. I hate that with a passion. I don't have over 3K in any car/SC/Crawler but I have some serious cash in a lot of them and I have some that are just on the fly cheapo bashers for the fun of it.

We are here to have fun, what we spend doesnt matter. The end result is what matters. I have seen scalers that guys have gotten the parts from swap meets and classifieds that are mind blowing and they have low dollars into them, Then I have seen scalers that are so radical but the persons has dropped tons of money into them.

If you want to build on a budget DO IT, when it breaks see where the weak spots are and build a little stronger if you can afford it. you want scale? 70% of the stuff we spend on scale parts can be found at a toys are us or Walmart in some of the childrens toy sections. Never toss a part on any thing, You would be suprised what that part can be used for in a custom rig.

Lets have fun! crawl it bash it shelf it! what ever. I know I dropped about 800$ into my exo carnaged it and rebuilt it but with a lot of cash into it now with hop ups I still bash it. Im working on 2 SCX10 JK's one may be a shelf queen just due to what I am looking at doing on the scale side of things or it may see some light duty, the other? Most likely gonna be built for serious runs and not so worried about damage, scale yes but not as detailed as what I am working on now.

Money spent crawling aslong as its not taking food out your kids mouth or keeping you from being able to pay the bills is money well spent. And like Nissan Driver said, better money spent that on drugs.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #233
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
it's better than wasting my money on drugs.
3 grand is a helluva night though! And it only seems like a waste the following day....
Duxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #234

Very nice build indeed and thanks for sharing! It would be a shame though to see it just collect dust on a shelf somewhere .... Would definitely like to see this thing in action!
Crawlerfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #235
Rock Crawler

If you don't count the initial cost of the truck... just the upgrades... The upgrades on my 1:1 and my 1:10 are not that far apart... sadly.

The SCX has been lowered since that pic and has 1.9 Iroks so it looks more like my 1:1... just more money. It's only money though, right? LOL
KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:48 PM   #236
I wanna be Dave

"Sorry, I feel different about that I guess than others. The parts/price list is for information purposes. Like I tell most of my customers at work that think it's too expensive of a hobby, it's better than wasting my money on drugs."

You're right. Having a hobby like this allows us to exercise our imagination, our skills and our engineering abilities...all on a scale level. Sure, 3K or 4K is nothing compared to the 1:1 world...and the best part...it feels the same to build a killer rig. And yes...there are a lot of other things we could dump money into. My old days in the pubs will never have anything to show but stories. At least now, I've got something to share with my "Scalers"...the little boys in my life. And that is priceless. I've mentioned it before in other threads..."Daddy, I love building trucks with you." That's the best thing a Dad can hear.

Keep bringing the Unlimited. We'll be watching.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:25 AM   #237
I wanna be Dave

Great build !

really like the clean work and the detailed pictures.

I hope I never catch it this bad ! ? Lol

~maybe I should lose mine before they mire me funds any further~
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:19 AM   #238
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
thumbs up for that answer
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
I agree 100% on that man. The my 1:1 rock crawling days are over and Im not dumping tons of money into my rigs, I have no problem spending the money on my RC's. It's basically the cost of fun.

I do however really hate it, when I run something like my Exo buggy that I have about $1500 in at the park for my kids (5 and 3) they love to chase it and love to brag about "My Dads" toys. But then i get a bunch of little kids asking can I drive it, and the answer is nice but its always "sorry this isnt a toy RC this is a very expensive RC hobby car that is dangerous for you to drive"

The money we spend on our RC's just shows some dedication, a lot of folks dont have tons of cash lying around to throw at thier crawlers, and there are always cheaper alternatives that can almost reach the desired effect of some of the high end stuff. The name of the game is fun, if it's fun and you enjoy it RTR, Built, bought what ever its up to you how far you want to go, and no one should judge anyone on "How much" a person spent or how little a person spent. I hate that with a passion. I don't have over 3K in any car/SC/Crawler but I have some serious cash in a lot of them and I have some that are just on the fly cheapo bashers for the fun of it.

We are here to have fun, what we spend doesnt matter. The end result is what matters. I have seen scalers that guys have gotten the parts from swap meets and classifieds that are mind blowing and they have low dollars into them, Then I have seen scalers that are so radical but the persons has dropped tons of money into them.

If you want to build on a budget DO IT, when it breaks see where the weak spots are and build a little stronger if you can afford it. you want scale? 70% of the stuff we spend on scale parts can be found at a toys are us or Walmart in some of the childrens toy sections. Never toss a part on any thing, You would be suprised what that part can be used for in a custom rig.

Lets have fun! crawl it bash it shelf it! what ever. I know I dropped about 800$ into my exo carnaged it and rebuilt it but with a lot of cash into it now with hop ups I still bash it. Im working on 2 SCX10 JK's one may be a shelf queen just due to what I am looking at doing on the scale side of things or it may see some light duty, the other? Most likely gonna be built for serious runs and not so worried about damage, scale yes but not as detailed as what I am working on now.

Money spent crawling aslong as its not taking food out your kids mouth or keeping you from being able to pay the bills is money well spent. And like Nissan Driver said, better money spent that on drugs.
Couldn't have said it any better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duxx View Post
3 grand is a helluva night though! And it only seems like a waste the following day....
I have never done any kind of drugs except smoking tires back in the street racing days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlerfiend View Post
Very nice build indeed and thanks for sharing! It would be a shame though to see it just collect dust on a shelf somewhere .... Would definitely like to see this thing in action!
I can't wait to see it in action myself just gotta decide whether or not to use it to compete or just GTG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ10 View Post
If you don't count the initial cost of the truck... just the upgrades... The upgrades on my 1:1 and my 1:10 are not that far apart... sadly.

The SCX has been lowered since that pic and has 1.9 Iroks so it looks more like my 1:1... just more money. It's only money though, right? LOL
Yes, it is just money but like DaveFL said if this hobby effect family financial well being then money does count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
"Sorry, I feel different about that I guess than others. The parts/price list is for information purposes. Like I tell most of my customers at work that think it's too expensive of a hobby, it's better than wasting my money on drugs."

You're right. Having a hobby like this allows us to exercise our imagination, our skills and our engineering abilities...all on a scale level. Sure, 3K or 4K is nothing compared to the 1:1 world...and the best part...it feels the same to build a killer rig. And yes...there are a lot of other things we could dump money into. My old days in the pubs will never have anything to show but stories. At least now, I've got something to share with my "Scalers"...the little boys in my life. And that is priceless. I've mentioned it before in other threads..."Daddy, I love building trucks with you." That's the best thing a Dad can hear.

Keep bringing the Unlimited. We'll be watching.
I totally agree I myself have a daughter 6 years old and I still have a video of her building some VP Dirty Harrys wheels at the age of 4 with a allen head driver. She almost ready to build her own Jeep JK soon I can't wait!!! Plus I have a 17month old son that is already playing with my RC's and I'm super stoked about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoCrawler View Post
Great build !

really like the clean work and the detailed pictures.

I hope I never catch it this bad ! ? Lol

~maybe I should lose mine before they mire me funds any further~
Thanks. LOL I would much be happier to catch a RC Addition than a STD lol lol lol
Old 06-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #239
Quarry Creeper

Any chance I could get some closeups of your pinion angles, both front and back? I'm having issues with the VP links, mostly the rear setup.

VP Currie link length?
Duxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #240
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duxx View Post
Any chance I could get some closeups of your pinion angles, both front and back? I'm having issues with the VP links, mostly the rear setup.

VP Currie link length?
hopefully this could help...
Front Axle
[/URL]
Rear Axle

just gotta remember that the front end on my setup is not how VP has it setup.

Last edited by nissan_driver24; 06-15-2013 at 04:02 PM.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/423278-phams-vp-axial-scx-10-jk-jeep-wrangler-unlmited-rubicon-unlimited-budget-project.html
Posted By For Type Date
RCFansÒ£¿ØÃÔ|RCFansÂÛ̳ - Powered by Discuz! This thread Refback 02-28-2013 06:13 PM
RCFansÒ£¿ØÃÔ|RCFansÂÛ̳ - Powered by Discuz! This thread Refback 02-28-2013 01:22 AM

Pham's VP Axial SCX-10 JK Jeep Wrangler Unlmited Rubicon - Unlimited Budget Project - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rubi_con_Arni - Axial Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon perseus71 Axial SCX-10 79 08-11-2015 11:44 PM
Axial SCX10 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon jason Scale Videos! 16 11-03-2013 09:27 AM
Axial SCX10 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - AX90028 BENDER Axial SCX-10 379 07-02-2013 10:57 PM
Axial Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited #2 Rivas Concepts Scale Videos! 0 12-17-2012 10:48 AM
New Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Axial Promo Vid B94Cast Scale Videos! 0 10-30-2012 12:20 PM