Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: SLN’s Axial Experience

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2021, 07:00 PM   #121
RCC Addict

Default Re: SLN’s Axial Experience

One thing you can do is the pen spring mod.. it pulled the truck chassis down. I just did it on my custom lcg build. Mount the body as low as possible add the springs under the pistons and bam... Complete difference. I don’t have a pick before hand but it was drastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2021, 07:09 PM   #122
RCC Addict

I feel like if he did this on the 10ii frame he’d have next to no down travel. Have to go look at mine but I didn’t think you could get away with really short shocks before you started bottoming out the travel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:15 PM   #123
I wanna be Dave

Bored so I’m going to try the pen spring mod lol.

Old 02-16-2021, 07:17 PM   #124
RCC Addict

I’ve never even seen a pic of this thing wheeling and you are already bored with it? Kids these days lol.

Old 02-16-2021, 07:18 PM   #125
I wanna be Dave

Default SLN’s Axial Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
I’ve never even seen a pic of this thing wheeling and you are already bored with it? Kids these days lol.

Lmao. I just like to tinker. That reminds me, I still need to upload those pictures off of the camera.

Old 02-16-2021, 07:37 PM   #126
Quarry Creeper

You could try using a pair of gen7, or similar, servo mounts to lay your servo down between your front towers. You need a custom steering link and a pair of additional holes to support the servo mount but it worked out great for my build. You might to reconfigure your batter situation as well though.

Apparently I don't have a better picture ATM. I'll have to take one after work.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:38 PM   #127
RCC Addict

Quote:
I feel like if he did this on the 10ii frame he’d have next to no down travel. Have to go look at mine but I didn’t think you could get away with really short shocks before you started bottoming out the travel.

Yea, I mean I used the longest springs I could find. But I’ve seen springs that are half as long as the ones I’ve used. Either way let us know what comes of it. I don’t have a stock 10.2 but I have trx shocks on my 6x6 and I’m going to do it tonight

Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:41 PM   #128
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
Yea, I mean I used the longest springs I could find. But I’ve seen springs that are half as long as the ones I’ve used. Either way let us know what comes of it. I don’t have a stock 10.2 but I have trx shocks on my 6x6 and I’m going to do it tonight

I’m using GTS shocks and I somehow found 4 of the same pens throughout the house with pretty short springs. About to do it now and take it for a quick spin and let you know

Old 02-16-2021, 09:32 PM   #129
I wanna be Dave

Did the pen spring mod, and not liking the travel loss. I didn’t think it would be a lot because the springs are super short, but it was. So now it’s back to normal and I’m leaving it.

Old 02-16-2021, 09:43 PM   #130
I wanna be Dave

Here’s the pictures of the last run at LSD- aka Kawaihae Harbor. Was focusing more on Mauna Loa and Hualalai lol.

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 02-19-2021 at 12:46 PM.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 08:04 AM   #131
RCC Addict

Look at all the rocks! The truck looks good out there.

I'm going to go scrape the ice off my windshield and try to comprehend that somewhere at this same moment, the sun is out and people are surfing...
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:19 PM   #132
RCC Addict

SLN - maybe try some shorter or softer pen springs. I should have taken a picture of the ones I used. But my bench testing/cycling/stretching says it's a win win if you don't mind a little less travel (and I mean a little) and a lower ride height. If anything it moves the travel more into the scale realm, the lack of body movement and gnarly flex on these trucks is nowhere near the real thing. Most of the trucks I see on Fullsize Invasion (follow them on IG if you aren't) are lifting a tire or stuffing a fender.

Edit: you are in rock crawling heaven. I would freak out. I have to search for places to take my trucks here in FL, it's all sand/mud/trail riding. Those rocks look like you could run pretty much any tire too, a freaking drag slick would grip those haha.

Last edited by Phildirt; 02-17-2021 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:55 PM   #133
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Look at all the rocks! The truck looks good out there.

I'm going to go scrape the ice off my windshield and try to comprehend that somewhere at this same moment, the sun is out and people are surfing...

Thanks! Hahaha, there were tons of surfers that day.

Quote:
SLN - maybe try some shorter or softer pen springs. I should have taken a picture of the ones I used. But my bench testing/cycling/stretching says it's a win win if you don't mind a little less travel (and I mean a little) and a lower ride height. If anything it moves the travel more into the scale realm, the lack of body movement and gnarly flex on these trucks is nowhere near the real thing. Most of the trucks I see on Fullsize Invasion (follow them on IG if you aren't) are lifting a tire or stuffing a fender.

Edit: you are in rock crawling heaven. I would freak out. I have to search for places to take my trucks here in FL, it's all sand/mud/trail riding. Those rocks look like you could run pretty much any tire too, a freaking drag slick would grip those haha.

The springs I used were just under 1/2” tall. I follow every 1:1 truck group you can think of, just not on the social media anymore except here/Big Island Scale Crawlers FB.

it looks like a lot more crawling area then there really is. I honestly can’t tell a difference between all 4 tire sets I have-including cheap Chineseium tires.

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 02-19-2021 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:17 PM   #134
I wanna be Dave

Time for a quick update.

Did a few small cosmetic changes, but nothing ground-breaking, so no pictures. Literally just bolted a spare tire to the cab wall and flipped around the back cage. Oh yeah, also painted/mounted the fuel cell but I don't have any pictures of it on the desktop, so I'll post those later.

Also had a meetup at Kings Landing, there were probably 20 trucks there. Had a small hiccup on the 10ii, just lost a nut for the shock. Fixed it then decided to run the TRX4, which had a bigger hiccup. Stripped a gear in the servo-broke 3-4 teeth off. Ordered up a gear set, but it won't be here anytime soon.

Pictures of the meetup Saturday and the solo session Sunday. Sorry for the crappy pics, left my camera at home. https://postimg.cc/gallery/WtS5v1Y

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 03-08-2021 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:48 AM   #135
I wanna be Dave

Here’s a picture of the fuel cell. Details are made from scrap stuff. The fuel line is a piece of PTFE tube with a nut that threaded on to look like a collar of sorts. 2 zip ties running through two pre drilled holes in the frame to keep it somewhat held on with bolts screwed through them and into the fuel cell for looks and to hold the zip tie down lol. It’s not perfect, but nothing a little dirt/sand won’t cover. It looks good from a foot away though.

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 03-09-2021 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:34 PM   #136
RCC Addict

I think it looks fine, matches the character of the rig. A new shiny one would look out of place!
Old 03-09-2021, 03:05 PM   #137
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I think it looks fine, matches the character of the rig. A new shiny one would look out of place!

Thanks Phil!

I was thinking about doing another one, but I’ll probably end up stealing the one off the TK when it arrives.

Old 03-09-2021, 06:57 PM   #138
Rock Crawler

Fuel cell looks great. As Phil said it matches the character of the truck perfectly.
Sweet old clunker for sure!
JimK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:12 PM   #139
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK View Post
Fuel cell looks great. As Phil said it matches the character of the truck perfectly.
Sweet old clunker for sure!

Thanks!

At first the zip ties bothered me not being flat-sides for example- but we will say they’re worn out haha.

Old 03-12-2021, 09:47 PM   #140
I wanna be Dave

Ever since I did the pen-spring mod I have been wanting to do it again just to give it a longer try then 10 minutes and be more open minded. But, I had an idea that I totally came up with on my own *sarcasm* I figured instead of adding springs, take away springs! Such a genius, original idea! *sarcasm, again*

Anyways, I did it and I really really like it. Still have the same amount of travel, yet a lot lower. I would say at least 1” lower. Shocks do ride bottomed out, but I don’t think it’ll hurt anything(?)
I was also able to lower the body a few notches and still keep full turn left/right with no rubbing. Did away with everything on the back as well, it was unnecessary weight plus I think it looks better this way.

I’ll be taking it for a run either tomorrow or Sunday to have a final verdict.

Let me know what you guys think!

SLN’s Axial Experience - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your experience with Axial Rockster Beadlocks? DrDiff952 Axial Wraith 15 01-14-2014 03:30 PM
anyone had any experience with these? slash 127 General Scale Talk 5 02-22-2013 04:52 PM
Does anyone have any experience with.... kaetwo General Scale Talk 4 07-16-2008 11:05 AM
Anyone else experience this? ecoli Electronics 7 04-16-2008 04:59 PM
my 1:18 experience dhoffroad General Crawlers 15 01-26-2006 10:53 PM