Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Am I too late to get into XR10 comping?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 06:50 PM   #81
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Am I too late to get into XR10 comping?

Been crawling on them since I got off work. Man its amazing how much different it performs by just putting it into a chassis!! All of the limitations that I had memorized are now officially out the window. It can do SO much more. I am so happy that I didn't shy away from this. Fortunately I do dig a challenge and it paid off dramatically.

Thanks again guys!!
Conflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2014, 10:06 AM   #82
Quarry Creeper

Little more help please?

So first off there is a forum member here that offered me an awesome deal to sort out my upper link mount situation. So I am covered for the front. Now I am trying to sort the rear issue out. Today I found online a VP front link mount, initially I was really mad because I have been searching for one and getting frustrated, then the second I go another route, I find one. To be honest the other route I went is going to be miles better. The question I have today though is the front VP link mount I found today, can I use for the rear? They seem to look like the same setup with the exception of the servo mount, which looks like it simply unbolts.

Been crawling every chance I get, this thing is amazing!!
Old 02-07-2014, 10:43 AM   #83
RCC Addict

The front & rear are not interchangeable, the screw holes are different.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:11 PM   #84
Quarry Creeper

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man I can't get a break!! I am so close to having everything I need..
Old 02-07-2014, 02:15 PM   #85
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflict View Post
AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man I can't get a break!! I am so close to having everything I need..
I feel your pain. Just when you think you got it, something else crops up. Rc can actually be frustrating. Lol.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk
jollyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #86
Quarry Creeper

Oh man your telling me. Thank goodness I will be getting set up with the Hot Racing/Carbon Fiber mount. Its awfully damn funny that I just got that figured out and then I find a VP front upper link mount today!! My luck I guess. All I need now is rear link mount and a couple trans cases. It would be nice to get some VP axle tops but I'm not really worried about those. If they do come along, and I can afford it at that time, I will get them though.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #87
RCC Addict

Why not just wait for Sam at CDF to start selling his mounts?
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:07 PM   #88
Quarry Creeper

He is the one that's taking care of my front. I really like the idea of having that housing in aluminum because it holds that bearing (bushing if mod has been done) if there was just a blank aluminum housing mount that I could put Sam's link mount on top of, that would be IDEAL!
Old 02-07-2014, 04:21 PM   #89
RCC Addict

Two screw mod the rear axle. I ran the stock plastic link mount for two seasons without issue.
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:38 PM   #90
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedtoRC1 View Post
Two screw mod the rear axle. I ran the stock plastic link mount for two seasons without issue.
This one is definitely on the to do list! Thanks
Old 02-07-2014, 06:21 PM   #91
Pebble Pounder

I feel your pain on the rear link mount. I even called a bunch of rc parts places asking for the vp rear. No one had one to sell.

So out of desperation I posted in the wanted section here and got a pm to sell me a good used one for almost double what there were new. I bought it and was accidentally shipped a front mount. The guy felt bad and I shipped it back and he pulled the rear from his own rig to send to honor his deal.

So to say they are hard to come by is a serious understatement!

Thanks to the member who shall remain nameless for coming through in the end!

Jon

All that said I think the calderwood units will be really nice as well.
J5races is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #92
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by J5races View Post
I feel your pain on the rear link mount. I even called a bunch of rc parts places asking for the vp rear. No one had one to sell.

So out of desperation I posted in the wanted section here and got a pm to sell me a good used one for almost double what there were new. I bought it and was accidentally shipped a front mount. The guy felt bad and I shipped it back and he pulled the rear from his own rig to send to honor his deal.

So to say they are hard to come by is a serious understatement!

Thanks to the member who shall remain nameless for coming through in the end!

Jon

All that said I think the calderwood units will be really nice as well.

That is pretty dang cool what that member did that for you.

I have a 1:1 crawler, a built diesel sled-pulling-Honda-killer, UTV, motorcycle, etc. needless to say I have an abundance of toys, so obviously I am on a BUNCH of forums with all of these hobbies/toys I have. That being said THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE BEST FORUM I HAVE EVER BEEN A PART OF! From all my experience with forums I've come to dislike them and try to avoid them at all cost, but living so remotely as I do, I don't always have many options if I want to learn. This forum has been an entirely different experience, guys here want to help, they offer up all sorts of advise, help locate parts, and all the good stuff that forums were actually created for. When I bought my XR it was initially on an auction/buy/sell site. The forum member and I ended up calling each other, I was working him on the price (before I actually realized much money was already spent in it), and he was explaining how the auction company, and paypal, were going to take a set percentage. He came up with a comforting solution with me to buy it on flat out trust. So even with not knowing this guy and with him living on the other side of the country I decided to send his paypal account a considerable amount of money all on faith that he would send the XR10, and he held true to his end as well. There are damn good people on this forum, and I will stand by rccrawler at all cost. I have been doing swapping a trading here just on faith alone and can't believe the amount of integrity this forum contains.

I thank you all, all the time, and still don't feel as though I have given the true amount of appreciation that I feel you all deserve.

You guys are awesome! So much so, that when I get done building my XR10, I am going to slide directly in to building a super crawler right here on the forum.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #93
Quarry Creeper

Alright fella's, I'm gonna do some rambling, some bitching, ask a question, then after that I will follow up with a new update and some pictures.

I hope you stick around to read all my cr@p if not feel free to go straight to photos. Here we go:

First off know dang good and well that I am fully addicted to RC, I am flat out hooked and I mean H-U-C-T. Have been for years, and I did hang it up to get my life going with all the college, marriage, house, career. But I am having a serious personal issue with being too damn late for the XR10 train. I mean these things are incredible, phenomenal abilities, and amazing engineering. I am having a hell of a time getting stuff that I need, plain and simple I was too late for the bus, and that's something that I have to deal with, and I will succeed. Where I currently live, we are buried in a couple foot of snow, and a lazy sunday to me is the perfect day to tear this XR10 down to nothing, clean it, grease it, and slap it all back together. I have really regretted not being able to buy this as a kit and put it together myself, because I don't know it inside and out as a lot of you do, and I don't know the abilities of the feller I bought it from. So after tearing it completely down and doing a mod, cleaning it all up and putting it back together presented my burning question today:

Why in the hell did Axial abandon this project?

I'm lost, if I had the ability, money, and know-how I would do everything in my power to bring it back to life. Axial turned their back and never looked back WHY??

Okay that's it folks, there's my ranting and bitching. On to the reason why we are here.... PICTURES

Friday I received my new HPI rock grabbers, I love the tread pattern and have read a lot about them. My surprise is that the compound seems really stiff, kind of like a cheap RTR tires. I will give them hell for a bit. I have my SLW hubs, and new shocks still in the mail so I haven't got those on yet. I will follow up with more pics after wards. Also I could never get my hands on a RR battery plate, so I fabbed my own up, lets hope it holds together. So as I said I did tear it down, re wired everything with top dollar wire, cleaned everything up, and greased it up good. While I had the rear axle tore apart I did proceed with the 2 screw mod for some more comfort. Fortunately with the exception of cracks in the cases (installed a brand new axle housing today) due to the previous owner tightening stuff down to much, I really didn't find any surprises, and give the guy who put it together credit, because he did a fairly damn good job. Kudos my friend, thanks again for selling her to me.

Okay here's the photo's, I love the used chassis, I believe these are CC links, can anybody confirm that? The seller only knew that it was a BJ4 chassis with TI links.

It is coming along nicely in my book.
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2014, 02:32 PM   #94
RCC Addict

Axial abandoned it because it wasnt making money any more. Im unsure about actual time line but the xr platform quickly went custom. 2011 nats won by a stockish xr, 2012 nats won by nearly completely custom xr. As far as I know only thing stock on that rig was axle cases. Most of the field went that way too. Ive come to find crawlers in general are "builders" rigs which makes them intimidating for most. I bought into this about 6 months before axial officially discontinued the xr.
Luckily the community here supports the platform longer than the parent company and there will always be options as long as there is passion for the hobby.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:32 PM   #95
RCC Addict

Btw rig looks good I like the red beadlocks
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:06 PM   #96
Quarry Creeper

Curcal, you make a helluva point. I guess if it was easy everybody and their dog would be doing it.

You are right on the forum supporting each other. I headed over to a local forum for the state I live in. Fella on there was selling some VP parts for XR so I asked him and his offer was flat out insane. Thank goodness the guys here on RCC are here to help each other out. This is home.

I am going to start building a super here soon. I love the thought of no instruction book to lean on, just figure it out.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:45 PM   #97
Quarry Creeper

Been spending a better part of this day on pretending like I know how to make body panels. Not bad for my first crack at it.

You know when folks work on cars and some guys are body guys and others are drive train? Yeah well I am a drive train feller, cannot stand body work. I would almost rather tear this thing back down to nuts and bolts before I do another set of panels.
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2014, 06:01 PM   #98
Quarry Creeper

Side panels.. DONE. Wow that was kind of a challenege to look right. All I have to say to panels is --> <--
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2014, 12:34 AM   #99
Pebble Pounder

Looking really nice! I finally wired my xr10 today. Just gotta set up the br
Minis and 7980 servo and I can finally drive it. I have been building it since Christmas.

I ordered a new kit for $375 and ended up replacing seriously like 98% with aftermarket parts.

So much so that I just ordered a second the the 6 or 7 parts I used from the kit and have a stock xr I think I'm gonna sell
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2014, 12:39 AM   #100
Pebble Pounder

Another few pics of my xr, what the heck
Attached Images

Am I too late to get into XR10 comping? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many are still comping...... brettd Axial XR10 14 02-05-2013 09:21 AM
anyone comping 1.9 anymore metalking Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 2 11-15-2012 10:42 AM
Getting into comping. New XR10 neoakaj Axial XR10 11 11-08-2011 10:42 AM
XR-10 or AX-10 for comping minnesotamudder Newbie General 20 09-01-2010 08:15 PM
Comping w/ R1 (anyone) snwchris G-Made Crawlers 6 08-06-2010 12:42 PM