Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Crawler Innovations

Notices

Thread: *_* C.I.'s Double Deuce Closed Cell Competition Ready Dual Stage Foams *_*

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #161
Rock Stacker

Default Re: *_* C.I.'s Double Deuce Closed Cell Competition Ready Dual Stage Foams *_*

Placed order last night for a 2 pairs of Double Deuce 6 inch foams, heard great things so far so I gotta give them a shot.
Nutternugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #162
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: *_* C.I.'s Double Deuce Closed Cell Competition Ready Dual Stage Foams *_*

Last year I bought some CI DD foams for my XR whith stock wheels (1,4" wide) with white compound Rovers.
I then read lots of build threads with recommendations to get the 5,5" DD foams for that wheel/tire combo.
I have ran the CI Double Deuce 5,5" from last year (open cell inner foam) in my Rovers since then. They work very good for me.
Now I am planning to buy another set of White Rovers for my AX10 with stock wheels (1,25" wide, I think).
On the CI website the Rovers are sold as a combo with 5,25" DD foams. I understand this combo as a recommendation.
My question now is: Has the recommendations changed with the change from open cell to closed cell inners? Or did i miss something else?
rofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:36 AM   #163
Pebble Pounder

Anyone?
What size DD closed cell foams are you running in your HB Rovers?
rofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #164
Old guy

I am amazed on what Eddie's foams have done for my Scaler. They support the rig and still have a great foot print. They allow the tire to act like it should. My rig has improved in ever way. It climbs better, turns better, sidehills better, DAMN it even parks better.

The 1st hop-up I would do on any rig, would be to install Eddie's foams.

Little video Eddies foams - YouTube
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #165
Rock Crawler

Just placed a order for my wraith
5.5 med with tuning ring
weight about 8lbs used for crawling
to fit in 5.75 iroks

can't wait !!!!
k goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #166
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofo View Post
Last year I bought some CI DD foams for my XR whith stock wheels (1,4" wide) with white compound Rovers.
I then read lots of build threads with recommendations to get the 5,5" DD foams for that wheel/tire combo.
I have ran the CI Double Deuce 5,5" from last year (open cell inner foam) in my Rovers since then. They work very good for me.
Now I am planning to buy another set of White Rovers for my AX10 with stock wheels (1,25" wide, I think).
On the CI website the Rovers are sold as a combo with 5,25" DD foams. I understand this combo as a recommendation.
My question now is: Has the recommendations changed with the change from open cell to closed cell inners? Or did i miss something else?
Yes, the recommendations have changed.
New product, made from new materials, in new sizes, Yes, the system and recommendations has changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofo View Post
Anyone?
What size DD closed cell foams are you running in your HB Rovers?
I was away with my family on vacation, I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. However, my email is in my signature, in on my web site, and listed in my profile here on RCC. Please feel free to use them.

Recommendation for you based on your post:

5.25" Double Deuce Pair
Wide / Soft - Front
Wide / Med - Rear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
I am amazed on what Eddie's foams have done for my Scaler. They support the rig and still have a great foot print. They allow the tire to act like it should. My rig has improved in ever way. It climbs better, turns better, sidehills better, DAMN it even parks better.

The 1st hop-up I would do on any rig, would be to install Eddie's foams.

Little video Eddies foams - YouTube

WW Ricky! Thank you for the awesome feedback and great video. I am glad you are enjoying the new design more than the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k goodrich View Post
Just placed a order for my wraith
5.5 med with tuning ring
weight about 8lbs used for crawling
to fit in 5.75 iroks

can't wait !!!!
Thank you for your order, it has shipped.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:01 AM   #167
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Recommendation for you based on your post (Rovers):
5.25" Double Deuce Pair
Wide / Soft - Front
Wide / Med - Rear
I've been thinking about this, but is inexperienced in the hobby.

With 1" wheel width (narrow inners) and a front heavy rig can't it be that soft is too soft/unstable at the front and medium too firm at the rear (while not going up steep slopes)?
I consider buying 5.0" foams with medium outers and soft tuning rings for all four wheels instead. (In effect triple stage foams...)

Does that seem smart or am I way off in my thinking?
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #168
I wanna be Dave

I ordered 4 5.5 double deuce foams on Tuesday, had them in my hands Friday.

Eddie-o also gave me 2 tuning foams for free because he is just that type of awesome.

The closed cell inners are fantastic.
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #169
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB View Post
The closed cell inners are fantastic.
Now there's another potential issue...
How do the closed cells work with ventilation through the rims? Seems to me like they'd create an airtight seal, preventing ventilation...
Old 08-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #170
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
How do the closed cells work with ventilation through the rims? Seems to me like they'd create an airtight seal, preventing ventilation...
Closed cell inner foams need to be vented if you vent the wheels and not the tires. I use a 1/4" drill bit and drill 4-8 holes around the inner foam.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #171
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
I've been thinking about this, but is inexperienced in the hobby.

With 1" wheel width (narrow inners) and a front heavy rig can't it be that soft is too soft/unstable at the front and medium too firm at the rear (while not going up steep slopes)?
I consider buying 5.0" foams with medium outers and soft tuning rings for all four wheels instead. (In effect triple stage foams...)

Does that seem smart or am I way off in my thinking?
Feel free to purchase and try anything you like. You are correct, that by stacking tuning rings you are multilayering the foams. That was possible with the 2009 original design as well.

As the designer and user of my product, I make my recommendations based on weight of the rig, width of wheel, etc.

Quote:
I vent the tire. A leather 1/16" hole punch is cheap and makes nice small holes. I put three to four holes in the tire depending on it's size. The closed cell inner is water proof. The outer foam will absorb water, but with holes in the tires you can squeeze 90% of it out by hand or by spinning the tires fast enough to sling the water out the holes. I do not bother with modifying the closed cell inner for air venting. In the past the inner has shifted on the rim closing the vent hole and air could no longer flow freely. I have also wondered if removing foam from the inner for air venting weakens or softens the inner foam.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #172
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I do not bother with modifying the closed cell inner for air venting. In the past the inner has shifted on the rim closing the vent hole and air could no longer flow freely. I have also wondered if removing foam from the inner for air venting weakens or softens the inner foam.
From my experience.

With the SLW's being channelled, vent holes in the foam and vent holes in the wheel don't have to be lined up to keep the air flowing. Air flow is reduced if the holes don't line up perfectly but air still flows.

And the newer carbon/plastic wheels that dont have an inner wheel surface, only spacers to separate the rings, airflow is not an issue with inner foam vent holes.

You crazy guys and your holes in your tires!

I haven't noticed any softening or weaking by venting the inners. I assumed since the hole is on the same "plane" as the downforce, that it wouldn't matter. But I am not a foam scientist either!
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #173
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
As others noted, I vent my tires.

They are cheaper than rims. And if you run the CF sexiness, its a non issue.

Last edited by BEELZEBOB; 08-20-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #174
RCC Addict

Quote:
Feel free to purchase and try anything you like.
I bet you wouldn't mind selling me a dozen different alternatives, but I do mind spending that much money...

Quote:
As the designer and user of my product, I make my recommendations based on weight of the rig, width of wheel, etc.
And to me it seems strange that the wheels that carry the brute of the load should have the softer foams.

I've read other posts in different threads that most users want better grip (softer foams) in the front tires and higher ride (firmer foams) in the rear.
But what's "soft" and "firm" is relative to the load, right?
With ~4 lbs on the front axle and <2 lbs on the rear you'd get the desired effect by using the same foams for all wheels, right?

Quote:
I vent the tire. ... spinning the tires fast enough to sling the water out the holes.
So you punch holes in the outer surface, normally in direct contact with the ground? Seems like a sure way to get dirt and grime inside...
To me it seems better to make holes, if any, in the side walls of the tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
With the SLW's being channelled, vent holes in the foam and vent holes in the wheel don't have to be lined up to keep the air flowing. ...
I will use SLWs, and will consider this option too.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #175
I wanna be Dave

I bet you wouldn't mind selling me a dozen different alternatives, but I do mind spending that much money...

Its darn good practice to have more than you need, rather than SOL with less. And @ $25 a set of 4, way not have 2 or 3 full sets?

And to me it seems strange that the wheels that carry the brute of the load should have the softer foams.

It depends on weight and tires, but you want your front tires to grip and pull you over, while it is advantageous to have the rears slip a little and not flip you on your lid. Same kinda concept that makes proportional dig so popular

I've read other posts in different threads that most users want better grip (softer foams) in the front tires and higher ride (firmer foams) in the rear.
But what's "soft" and "firm" is relative to the load, right?
With ~4 lbs on the front axle and <2 lbs on the rear you'd get the desired effect by using the same foams for all wheels, right?

You're basically spot on, but understand more can be accomplish along the same lines with a bigger difference between your foams. And with new truck in the sub 3.5lbs range, the larger that difference can be.

So you punch holes in the outer surface, normally in direct contact with the ground? Seems like a sure way to get dirt and grime inside...
To me it seems better to make holes, if any, in the side walls of the tire.

Most people put holes in the sidewalls? Either way with holes in your rims, or tires, in any position, shits gonna get in there. Foams are not white for long.

I will use SLWs, and will consider this option too.

I just spent $180 on 4 SLW's, now you like me, want CF wheels instead.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #176
Rock Crawler

Sure, the front weighs more sitting flat & level. But we don't have much crawling challenge on flat and level. When you're at maximum climbing angle, the front is so light it eventually lifts off the rock. Now it's the rear that supports the vast majority of the weight.
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:59 PM   #177
RCC Addict

Quote:
Its darn good practice to have more than you need, rather than SOL with less. And @ $25 a set of 4, way not have 2 or 3 full sets?
Eventually I'll get more, but I'm still in the build-up phase.
The one set of foams I just ordered will cost not just $25, but also $15 shipping (the cheap option, not the $40 alternative with tracking) plus $10 sales tax plus $15 customs handling fee. That's $65 for one set!
Quote:
I just spent $180 on 4 SLW's, now you like me, want CF wheels instead.
The money "saved" by not spending some $70+ on spare foams will get me a set of wheels where I can use the one set of foams. I much rather have one complete set of wheels (with rims and tires) than spare foams and no rims.
I'll go with SLWs because they seem to best combine quality, plenty of room for knuckle weights, the offset I want and (relatively) low cost.
CF (Carbon Fibre?) wheels are not for me. Too light and too expensive. I might spend $2 on a CF look-alike sticker sheet to cover the aluminium rims if I want the look of CF though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardline View Post
Sure, the front weighs more sitting flat & level. But we don't have much crawling challenge on flat and level.
There's always sidehill and downhill. Too soft tires bend sideways in sidehilling, and I don't like going downhill with flat tires on the wheels supposed to do the steering.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #178
Rock Crawler

well, I did ordered tons of foams two weeks ago, and also got some free Outer Tuning Ring...lol
I really appreciated Eddie
rcscaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #179
Rock Crawler

I just want to give my thanks and appreciation to Nova's Ark and Co.

I ordered 2 sets of foams the other day and already have them and they came with all kinds of great swag!!!!

I'm stoked I got a bumper sticker and a bunch of mini sitckers along with free tunning ring samples!!!!!

Thank you so much for the great products and free swag and beening a great vendor here on RCC.

James.
jammin311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #180
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcscaler View Post
well, I did ordered tons of foams two weeks ago, and also got some free Outer Tuning Ring...lol
I really appreciated Eddie
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin311 View Post
I just want to give my thanks and appreciation to Nova's Ark and Co.

I ordered 2 sets of foams the other day and already have them and they came with all kinds of great swag!!!!

I'm stoked I got a bumper sticker and a bunch of mini sitckers along with free tunning ring samples!!!!!

Thank you so much for the great products and free swag and beening a great vendor here on RCC.

James.
I REALLY appreciate the kind words. Thank you. This is a long houred thankless job for the most part. I do it because I love what I do. I am an enthusiast first and foremost. I use the products I create and I know first hand what it's like to wait for parts for my own projects. That is why I try and ship customer orders ASAP.

As for the swag and free samples, it's what I can, as I can, to give back to the RC Crawler community that keeps C.I. viable. Without a great customer base, C.I. would not exist. As always, I'm extremely grateful for the customers and their support. Thank you

*_* C.I.'s Double Deuce Closed Cell Competition Ready Dual Stage Foams *_* - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Double Deuce foams for HB Rovers on XR10? Rock Spider Axial XR10 6 06-01-2011 04:49 PM
Deuce Nova's and Lil Nova's Dual stage foams! bigflex Tires and Wheels 6 10-06-2009 10:50 PM