Notices

Thread: ProModeler Servo: 420oz, billet case, o-ringed, $79

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2016, 03:38 PM   #341
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: ProModeler Servo: 420oz, billet case, o-ringed, $79

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Bec is already at 7.4 and the servo is rated for 8.4 exactly as bluebird.

Post 323 in this thread

HANG UP AND DRIVE !
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2016, 03:57 PM   #342
I wanna be Dave

Is there any news on a 600/650oz servo in the works yet?
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #343
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Is there any news on a 600/650oz servo in the works yet?
The last I heard from John is that he has no current plans for more torque. I'll ask about it when I hear from him again but areas in and around Sanford, FL are still without power and/or internet so it might be a while yet.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:26 AM   #344
Rock Crawler

Seriously, if you are considering this servo... DO IT.

I just got back into the crawling / rc world after a multi year hiatus and purchased an RR10 bomber kit. After killing two "high torque" metal gear servos ... i bit the bullet.

I had never before paid 80 bucks for a servo.... but after getting this unit i am 100% glad i did, and would do it again in a heart beat.

GOOD GOD MAN talk about torque n speed and smoothness. Even at the 5v of the bec from my ESC i was using for testing it blew my mind.

Build quality is out of this world.

I cant wait to get it properly wired up with my 6v BEC.
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:11 PM   #345
I wanna be Dave

I just read the comments about gear backlash on the Gen 2 and possibly gen 3 and am genuinely surprised that the issue was so quickly remedied once found.

I have a gen two in a Bomber for about ten months now and for all intents and purposes it should have failed by now. The truck gets hammered on regularly. I will admit the output does have just a bit more backlash then I would like, but you don't notice it once the servo is powered up. Theres no up/down wiggle as if the bearings are loose, it's strictly radial backlash. It seems that the amount the aluminum deforms is so slight that the gears are still able to maintain appropriate mesh. It's almost a non issue, but John had to fix it anyway.

Anyway, my gen 2 is still kicking in what's possibly the hardest 1/10 truck on servos, and I launch mine with reckless abandon. I could make a pile of broken front end parts in that ten months, but the servos still working flawlessly.

I now also have a gen 4 in my brother's twin hammer and it is absolutely flawless.

Sign me up the the more expensive (just don't make it much larger) 600 oz/in when it's ready. Until then I'll be slowly converting my fleet as servo's die.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:26 AM   #346
I wanna be Dave

I hope this servo is better on the rocks than on my garage floor.

Its slow and doesn't seem to have all that much torque. Although it is replacing a bluebird which replaced a 7980 so my expectations may be skewed a bit.

Hopefully the rain forecast for this weekend breaks long enough to get some time testing it.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 03:17 AM   #347
I wanna be Dave

Lol uh ya, thats like going from a lambo to a v6 mustang.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:19 AM   #348
I wanna be Dave

Seeing as how the price for the ProModeler is about half the 7980, they aren't exactly direct competitors.

Refresh my memory - didn't the Bluebird break?
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 06:31 AM   #349
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Seeing as how the price for the ProModeler is about half the 7980, they aren't exactly direct competitors.

Refresh my memory - didn't the Bluebird break?

Why would he complement anything ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2016, 06:34 AM   #350
I wanna be Dave

Yea the bluebird busted the center pin on a long steep tumble. The 7980 was great one day and the next i plugged in the battery and the motor took a crap. Sent it in to hitec and they wanted $76 to repair it so I told them to toss it in the trash.

Maybe I'll be happy in the rocks but so far I'm not impressed and I'm guessing I'll be putting the servo in the classifieds and going with a holmes servo. I've driven one and I know I can live with it but I took a chance on this new whiz bang servo everyone is jerkin their meat over on the off chance it was as good as it was hyped.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:39 AM   #351
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Why would he complement anything ??

You won't find someone to review parts more honest than me. I don't take parts for free, I buy everything I use and report my findings as I see them. As I said, maybe my opinion will change when I'm in the rocks. We'll see.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:07 AM   #352
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You won't find someone to review parts more honest than me. I don't take parts for free, I buy everything I use and report my findings as I see them. As I said, maybe my opinion will change when I'm in the rocks. We'll see.

Really ?? That's a lie and we all know it, you have already written this one off.
I think you need the two hundred dollar servos, but you don't want to spend the $$

Hang up and Drive
Old 10-15-2016, 07:38 AM   #353
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Really ?? That's a lie and we all know it, you have already written this one off.
I think you need the two hundred dollar servos, but you don't want to spend the $$
I haven't written anything off. I'm underwhelmed with the speed, well see how the torque is if the weather clears. If I lie it doesn't help anyone one way or another.

I rolled the dice on a servo with great reviews, I'm hoping I don't come up box cars. If I do I'll probably do another 7980 with a dlux strengthener so I'll be running over 1200oz. Overkill is wonderful.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:57 AM   #354
I wanna be Dave

I'm not sure what the hype is about servo speed on a crawler....I turn my servo speed down to about 12% so that the front wheels turn at a scale speed from lock to lock. Perhaps I'm missing something?
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:37 AM   #355
I wanna be Dave

The 7980 is rated with relatively slow numbers - Speed (6.0V/7.4V): 0.20 / 0.17 sec

ProModeler - (6.0V/7.4V) : 0.14 / 0.12 sec

Holmes SHV500 - @ 11.1v: 0.10 sec, @ 14v: 0.08 sec

I got the Holmes Hobbies SHV500 and just finally finished getting the servo pigtail soldered to the battery wires from my MMX so I can run it direct from my 3S. Starting my kit Bomber build today (good thing, it's been sitting there for 4 months!)

But as far as speed goes, it only mattered to me when I was on pavement in the old days. My prime concern is durability and strength followed by torque - quietness would be nice, too. As long as I'm getting over 350oz-in, I'm fine. Just keeping my fingers crossed that I don't break anything - but I feel I'll be pretty easy on my rig compared to some.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:08 AM   #356
I wanna be Dave

Speed on a crawler (not scaler, that's a whole other realm I stay away from) is important to shimmy the front end sideways on a side hill and to shake the rig around to move as needed.

The 7980 may be rated slow but it will do that speed under most any circumstance. 350oz is worthless in a crawler, the promodler being supposedly under rated but having an actual near 500oz means it could work ok. I'll find out for sure.

All else fails I have the parts to build another big power rig on xl's so it'll get its ass wooped.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:18 PM   #357
RCC Addict

Quote:
I'm with ya. I catch some flack for my honesty as well. I haven't even bothered sending out my broken bluebird, it won't be going back in any of my rigs any time soon.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:58 PM   #358

Quote:
Speed on a crawler (not scaler, that's a whole other realm I stay away from) is important to shimmy the front end sideways on a side hill and to shake the rig around to move as needed.
we do the same with scalers, a little shimmy will save a reverse in alot of instances.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:02 PM   #359
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
we do the same with scalers, a little shimmy will save a reverse in alot of instances.
Do you have your servo turned down to the speed of smell too or is that a whole 'nother level of scale nerdin'?
Old 10-15-2016, 10:18 PM   #360
Rock Stacker

Default ProModeler Servo: 420oz, billet case, o-ringed, $79

Not to mention when running Dlux brass knuckles, upper and lower brass arms, and sticky gold Voodoos usually turn a 500oz servo into a 380oz servo....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PSYCHO-JLO is offline   Reply With Quote

ProModeler Servo: 420oz, billet case, o-ringed, $79 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Billet Motorola Droid Razr Case JFAB Vendors Miscellaneous 2 01-14-2013 08:24 PM
Angry Apple Ipod billet case motoworx Vendors Miscellaneous 31 08-15-2012 06:12 PM
metal gears , billet case , coreless motor servo CHEAP BL-4x4 Electronics 2 01-04-2012 09:21 PM