Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: ProModeler Servo: 420oz, billet case, o-ringed, $79

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2017, 11:52 AM   #401

Default Re: ProModeler Servo: 420oz, billet case, o-ringed, $79

This is starting to be the most hyped servo on RCC.

I don't understand why they changed the bottom of the case. It was fine before and possible stronger. Time will tell, but I doubt it will be an issue. I do like that it was made considerably smaller.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2017, 11:57 AM   #402
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

Find some defective ones........

I don't understand why they changed the bottom of the case. It was fine before and possible stronger. Time will tell, but I doubt it will be an issue. I do like that it was made considerably smaller.

Had a different shop CNC the cases, and they protected the screw heads.

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 06-05-2017 at 02:22 PM.
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:59 AM   #403
I wanna be Dave

The HH BLS 500 is even smaller, also has exposed screw heads on the bottom

Hang up and Drive
Old 06-05-2017, 12:02 PM   #404
Rock Crawler

Heading home now for the unboxing of the most hyped servo on RCC.
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:07 PM   #405

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
The HH BLS 500 is even smaller, also has exposed screw heads on the bottom

Hang up and Drive
Lots of servos have "exposed" screw heads on the bottom including the likes of Savox. It's a non-issue.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:32 PM   #406
I wanna be Dave

What a big beautiful servo. mine should be delivered already, but I won't be off work for a few more hours. Not that I've had an issue so far, but this will replace a smaller HS-645MG

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:36 PM   #407
Rock Crawler

Had to stop at the LHS and get a low profile horn. Most of the horns I have wont clear the style of the 10.2's cms. I know this is going way overkill for this rig, but its reliability that matters. This too is replacing a still working 645-mg. Its a 25t I hope, right?
Old 06-05-2017, 12:51 PM   #408
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Lots of servos have "exposed" screw heads on the bottom including the likes of Savox. It's a non-issue.
look at the rash on the 420 screws.

I suspect that it was also 1 less operation on the CNC

And it is a difference.

Jato, I know this isn't cheap, BUT its better than the "cheapness" , replace every 3 months thought.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:56 PM   #409
Rock Crawler

Quote:

And it is a difference.

Jato, I know this isn't cheap, BUT its better than the "cheapness" , replace every 3 months thought.
Lol! Glad talk about this servo stayed (kind of) over here on its dedicated thread and not on this one What the newest cheap servo hotness?
Old 06-05-2017, 01:10 PM   #410

Quote:

And it is a difference.

I see the slight rash. Screws still look 100% usable. Again, I believe this is a nonissue. The change may have reduced the CNC time ever so slightly because you only have the thru hole and counterbore instead of the corner being milled out.

I understand it's not cheap. But I, as have many others, have been burned by $100 servos that made great claims. This servo seems to have a lot of positive feedback though so I'm not against trying it when I need another. That is IF it is in stock. It wasn't when I needed a servo for my Bomber, nor when I needed a servo for my STM10, nor when I needed servos for my AX-10 monster truck.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:38 PM   #411
I wanna be Dave

Default ProModeler Servo: 420oz, billet case, o-ringed, $79

Screws are fine....... now.
In a couple of years, might be a totally different idea.
John said the machinist said he had a couple of different things he would do. These are also used I suspect in the drones used by Uncle in the sandbox, so availability is determined by how many Uncle wants this time.
I'm going to enjoy this and see how it and the HH go

Hang up and Drive
Old 06-05-2017, 01:50 PM   #412
RCC Addict

Quote:
This servo seems to have a lot of positive feedback .
I never even think about my 420, it just is, wheels always turn, never makes a sound.

I would continue to purchase these with confidence until something happens to shake my confidence. I'm sure that can be said about other servos. If you need a new servo, I would recommend trying one of these(well the v3, or v4 since I haven't run the new one) if it fits your needs. So far they have been proven to be quite, reliable, strong, with great customer service. I wouldn't say they are a must have, but really is there a must have servo?

But all that said, my sons tactic in a mostly stock deadbolt has run just as much and still works. Granted a much lighter truck, but it is fine for that application.

Biggest issue with Johns servos.......................No stickers
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:59 PM   #413
I wanna be Dave

I got mine in just now very sweet. Can't wait to run it.

149 r/c worx /scalerfab Team Driver
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:34 PM   #414
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
I never even think about my 420, it just is, wheels always turn, never makes a sound.

I would continue to purchase these with confidence until something happens to shake my confidence. I'm sure that can be said about other servos. If you need a new servo, I would recommend trying one of these(well the v3, or v4 since I haven't run the new one) if it fits your needs. So far they have been proven to be quite, reliable, strong, with great customer service. I wouldn't say they are a must have, but really is there a must have servo?

But all that said, my sons tactic in a mostly stock deadbolt has run just as much and still works. Granted a much lighter truck, but it is fine for that application.

Biggest issue with Johns servos.......................No stickers

Well a little bird told me......;
wait just a bit

Old 06-05-2017, 02:45 PM   #415
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
and the HH go
Could you pop the top off and see if Holmes added bushings yet?
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:03 PM   #416
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post

Tonight.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:05 PM   #417
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You Made me do it.....

Last edited by mikemcE; 06-05-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:22 PM   #418
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post

No I can't my driver won't fit the top screws, I suspect they are sae not metric.
I can't find my sae hex keys now.

What I did see was a new batch sticker pasted over an older one, hope that means latest run.RPP is usually current.

Hang up and Drive
Old 06-05-2017, 04:52 PM   #419
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
anybody heard of these?

just got my AMA magazine(RC airplanes) and it had a full review on this servo that did really well in there servo test rig. got very high marks all around.

Nominal Voltage*: 6.0 - 7.4VDC
Operating Voltage: 5.5 - 8.4VDC
Torque: 380 - 420 oz-in
Speed: 0.14 - 0.12 sec/60°
Frequency: 1520µs/330Hz
Dead band: 2µs
Weight: 73.5g
Wire: JR/265mm

The S420BLHV has been created expressly for competition pilots flying thousands of flights/year. Ideally suited to aileron, elevator, and rudder of giant scale models, e.g. 42% IMAC models. This servo centers beautifully, offers superb performance, and is the best we know how to make. In short, this is the top of the line ProModeler servo - no excuses.

Billet aluminum case - the entire case is CNC-machined from a solid billet of 6061-T6 aircraft-aluminum. End of story.
- Heavy duty dual ball bearing supported output gear with CNC-machined case sections.

Gear train-all metal gears makes this servo strong. The 25-spline (Ø5.96mm) output shaft is Futaba compatible for convenience. Material selection makes it tough. For an 800% increase in wearing surface hardness, we use exotic titanium-ceramic (TiCN) armoring for the 7075-T6 output gear (this is the exact same aluminum-alloy used in components of the upper receiver of an M-16 rifle). Intermediate gears are made of 4140 chrome-moly steel. The result is optimum strength and wear characteristics for high precision and long life.

- TiCN/7075-T6 output, 4140 chrome-moly steel intermediate, plus 7075-aluminum/4140-steel input-gear

O-rings - have you noticed how some really expensive servos don't have o-rings? The claim is electric models make them superfluous. Since getting caught in a pop-up rain shower isn't unheard of, and re-purposing servos into a nitro-powered model a year later happens all the time . . . do you buy that line of reasoning? We figure it's because the manufacturer pockets a few extra bucks - but leaving o-rings out comes at your expense because keeping water, fuel, and exhaust residue out of your servo is important. Wanna know why the S420BLHV is fully o-ringed? Simply because our engineers make these decisions instead of our accountant.

- Water resistant case features o-rings beneath the bearing, screw heads, and between case sections.

Nitty gritty - it's said the measure of a man is what he does when nobody is looking - take our servo's measure the same way. Ever disassemble a servo? They typically use four long-ass Phillips head screws, which come up from the bottom, sandwich the center section, and actually thread into the plastic top-case, right? However, an S420BLHV is built better. How? To begin, we use grade 12.9 Allen-head machine-thread bolts instead of el cheapo screws. Six come in from the top plus four more from the bottom, and instead of sandwiching the center case, the ten bolts actually thread into the aluminum. The result is a far more rigid assembly that's so much better . . . it's not even fair to compare!

Packaging - nestled within a high density foam insert for protection, each S420BLHV servo arrives packed in a jewel case. Since good looks never hurt, we laser-etch our logo into the polished aluminum case. These servo look great - think in terms of the fit and finish equal to, or better than, servos selling for more than $200. Bottom line? For the craftsmen who appreciates our high standards because we pay attention to the smallest detail, we hope you'll be as proud to install them in your model as we are to make them.

- Classic jewel case packaging with the servo snugly secured in a high density urethane foam insert

http://www.audacitymodels.com/Products/PDRS420BLHV/Default.aspx

WOW what progress!!!
Old 06-05-2017, 07:21 PM   #420
Rock Crawler

I was going to start a whole new thread due to its considerable changes and that it's technically a v5 now, but I figure I'd leave that to someone else who's been here longer or keep it here at its home to see how it evolves.

I Well got home and ripped it out of the packaging which is very good btw per Mr. John.

The first thing I did was slab some di-electric grease around the output spline and case seal just to be semi-safe.
I still consider myself new to crawling, but definitely not a nOOb to Rc's, I've never paid more than $40 for a new servo to replace one out of a buggy or basher, I wasn't about to tear inside of this $100 one and dab grease around where it would probably be pointless considering its o-ringed up.

Installation on the 10ii was a breeze but keep in mind to put your mounting tabs under (not on top) of the ears, there was clearance issues on the first go around with the pan-hard rod end from mounting the tabs on top. Installed the new 25t Racers Edge low profile horn while centering up on the previous setting of 6v, yeilded sluggish performance out of a beast waiting to be unleashed to its full potential. The Locked Up RC aluminum servo mount was only shipped out today, so I'm going to have to reinstall this again in a few days.

Finally it was time to test the Mamba X's internal bec. Now I've had issues with turning up the voltage before on another bec, so I was delayed on doing it, but I believe this new Castle controller to be pretty reliable and I had to see the power this servo packs, so off to the dinosaur pc I went. Bumped the voltage up to its max 8.0v.

I wasn't able to get outside to do any real crawling due to running out of daylight and its rained all day in the D.C. metro area. The real rocks are a 3 minute ride in the 1:1 anyway.
But from an indoor standpoint this thing is super strong and fast. It centers it self on what seems like some thick 70s style shagg rug. It hums with smoothness. I would have put a video up of it pumping, but than its a link and you know the rest. I'm very satisfied thus far not even getting it on the rocks.

Last edited by MattySlimz1987; 06-05-2017 at 07:24 PM.

ProModeler Servo: 420oz, billet case, o-ringed, $79 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Billet Motorola Droid Razr Case JFAB Vendors Miscellaneous 2 01-14-2013 08:24 PM
Angry Apple Ipod billet case motoworx Vendors Miscellaneous 31 08-15-2012 06:12 PM
metal gears , billet case , coreless motor servo CHEAP BL-4x4 Electronics 2 01-04-2012 09:21 PM