Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Have tech questions? Will answer.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2019, 04:35 PM   #1121
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Have tech questions? Will answer.

If you have a brushed 540 electric motor that's 35 turns and you have another motor, of the same design but it's 45t with advanced timing to give it similar wheel speed to the 35t (say 12 degrees?) what will the pros / cons of each be in terms of

Battery life
Torque
Start up
Heat generated
Total power
Brush life
Comm life

Also, is 12 degrees advanced timing on the above situation likely to give enough extra rpm to get to a similar kv to the 35t?
Hardcoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2019, 06:56 PM   #1122
RCC Addict

I got these two motors instead of a Trailmaster sportl 550 21T for a trx4 sport
I was going to return these but wondered if either would be worth keeping, and why, and what you would put them in.
I have 3 ascenders, a scx10ii and the new trx4 sport. One already has a torquemaster expert and one has a trailmaster so I'm familiar with them and they're all more similar than different. What about the 5-pole crawlmaster?

I did end up getting the trailmaster sport too, so I have all three to choose from. I might keep 2.

I run everything 3s with hw1080 speed controllers, gear to suit crawling.

Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:14 PM   #1123
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

forgive me for cherrypicking the last two posts to address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcoretam View Post
If you have a brushed 540 electric motor that's 35 turns and you have another motor, of the same design but it's 45t with advanced timing to give it similar wheel speed to the 35t (say 12 degrees?) what will the pros / cons of each be in terms of

Battery life
Torque
Start up
Heat generated
Total power
Brush life
Comm life

Also, is 12 degrees advanced timing on the above situation likely to give enough extra rpm to get to a similar kv to the 35t?
Timing advance would be rather extreme to get the rpms that high. The advanced 45t would have a higher resistance armature. it would produce less power, produce more heat, start up at a higher rpm, and make less torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
I got these two motors instead of a Trailmaster sportl 550 21T for a trx4 sport
I was going to return these but wondered if either would be worth keeping, and why, and what you would put them in.
I have 3 ascenders, a scx10ii and the new trx4 sport. One already has a torquemaster expert and one has a trailmaster so I'm familiar with them and they're all more similar than different. What about the 5-pole crawlmaster?

I did end up getting the trailmaster sport too, so I have all three to choose from. I might keep 2.

I run everything 3s with hw1080 speed controllers, gear to suit crawling.

any of your rigs would be fine with the motors. I would put the crawlmaster in the scx1oii in particular. Or maybe an ascender. Its also pretty light.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:46 AM   #1124
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Just wondering what you think about running this Motor in my 14# Traxxas UDR. I want to mate it with a Mamba Monster X ESC. Believe it or not I want to try doing a "little" crawling with this rig and I'm looking for some slow, smooth start up speeds along with that 45MPH speed. Thanks for the help!
https://holmeshobbies.com/puller-pro...ess-motor.html

Ernie

Hey John, you missed my question, so thought I would bounce it forward. Hope you're getting better evert day!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:04 PM   #1125
Rock Crawler

Not exactly a crawler, but I'm not satisfied with the amount of cogging I get with my Pro-MT 4x4 using the motor from a rock rey (2800kv 6pole on 3s) I'm thinking about getting a motor from Holmes hobbies, just not sure which one, the new 1/8 seems like overkill to me.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:30 PM   #1126
I wanna be Dave

I don't think it would be overkill - this line in the description sounds perfect:

"4274S “Smooth” Application: Short, technical, or low traction track U4 and Truggy/ Buggy; Rock Crawlers desiring precise and smooth startup"
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:10 PM   #1127
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I don't think it would be overkill - this line in the description sounds perfect:

"4274S “Smooth” Application: Short, technical, or low traction track U4 and Truggy/ Buggy; Rock Crawlers desiring precise and smooth startup"
Maybe, but the PP XL seems like a better choice to me based on what I have already, given that I am fairly happy with everything else except the cogging. Plus I'd probably have to replace my Mamba X with a Monster X, unless you think I could get away with that, given my truck is somewhere in the neighbourhood of 2.6-3.1kg (5.7-6.8lbs) fully loaded.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:52 PM   #1128
I wanna be Dave

Pp xl dosent have as smooth of a start as the others. It's in the description.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:09 PM   #1129
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Pp xl dosent have as smooth of a start as the others. It's in the description.
I know, but anything by holmes will be smoother than what I've got

Old 04-01-2019, 06:53 AM   #1130
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Timing advance would be rather extreme to get the rpms that high. The advanced 45t would have a higher resistance armature. it would produce less power, produce more heat, start up at a higher rpm, and make less torque.
Thank you very much for the reply.

Does advancing the timing, say 12 degrees on a typical 540 motor have any impact on the start up speed vs 0 degrees?
Hardcoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:57 AM   #1131

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Hey John, you missed my question, so thought I would bounce it forward. Hope you're getting better evert day!
Ernie
I don't have enough experience with the udr to say, but it should be fine judging by the stock system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteroFlego View Post
Not exactly a crawler, but I'm not satisfied with the amount of cogging I get with my Pro-MT 4x4 using the motor from a rock rey (2800kv 6pole on 3s) I'm thinking about getting a motor from Holmes hobbies, just not sure which one, the new 1/8 seems like overkill to me.

The 42 series would be quite overkill, but in a good way. My next choice would be the PUller XL, although startup is a bit jerky for strictly crawling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcoretam View Post
Thank you very much for the reply.

Does advancing the timing, say 12 degrees on a typical 540 motor have any impact on the start up speed vs 0 degrees?

Yes, startup gets a little jumpier at 12 degrees. It's not really noticeable on 35t and slower, but 27 and faster it becomes noticeable.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:06 AM   #1132

Will a Castle B-Link work to interface with a Trailmaster BLE Pro on the Castle app, or will I need a Castle Link and Windows computer?
KV242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:07 AM   #1133
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV242 View Post
Will a Castle B-Link work to interface with a Trailmaster BLE Pro on the Castle app, or will I need a Castle Link and Windows computer?
No, it doesn't work with the BLE.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:39 PM   #1134
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brimdogg View Post
No, it doesn't work with the BLE.

It should work, but we can't guarantee 100% compatibility. We didn't lock out any 3rd party products from working with the B-Link when we set it up, but we have done no testing of it to know if it works. Since it is mostly the same as a Mamba Max Pro, it should mostly work. JRH tested it and will have better results than us about how complete it is.
robert@castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:44 PM   #1135
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@castle View Post
It should work, but we can't guarantee 100% compatibility. We didn't lock out any 3rd party products from working with the B-Link when we set it up, but we have done no testing of it to know if it works. Since it is mostly the same as a Mamba Max Pro, it should mostly work. JRH tested it and will have better results than us about how complete it is.
Ok, I could have sworn it wasn't compatible at all.
Is that maybe the field card I'm thinking of?

brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:46 PM   #1136

Field card doesn’t work in field mode. B link works fine, although we have had a few occasions of wonky throttle curve.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:59 PM   #1137

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@castle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Field card doesn’t work in field mode. B link works fine, although we have had a few occasions of wonky throttle curve.

Thanks. Sounds like I shouldn't have too much of a problem and will give it a try.
KV242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:09 PM   #1138
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks. Sounds like I shouldn't have too much of a problem and will give it a try.

Please do and let us know also!

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:32 AM   #1139
I wanna be Dave

Upgrading the gen 8 scout to brushless, are the 540 size puller pro motors a good choice for replacing the 550 brushed motors?
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:47 AM   #1140
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
Upgrading the gen 8 scout to brushless, are the 540 size puller pro motors a good choice for replacing the 550 brushed motors?
The 550 21T trailmaster Sport (brushed) is about the speed of a 2200kv brushless with less torque.

My guess is the puller pro will be way better.

Holmes Hobbies has a motor chart on their website where you can compare them all

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote

Have tech questions? Will answer. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
suspension tech questions. Gen3_Teg_88 General Crawlers 9 07-13-2018 08:29 AM
axle tech questions 808eng_rc Multi Axle Rigs 4 11-07-2013 02:08 PM
(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread JohnRobHolmes Holmes Hobbies 3483 02-05-2013 09:08 PM
2 stupid newbie questions needs answer Mysterious Axial XR10 21 06-18-2012 09:22 AM
? Who has the answer to thes questions ? mik236 Team Losi Comp Crawler 12 05-23-2010 02:40 PM