Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Have tech questions? Will answer.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2019, 10:26 AM   #1061
I wanna be Dave

Default Have tech questions? Will answer.

Smartsense will work perfect

This setup video might help.

https://youtu.be/6wvH4A_VqTs

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2019, 03:08 PM   #1062
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default Re: Have tech questions? Will answer.

Smart sense, all the way
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:55 PM   #1063
Quarry Creeper

This is not entirely an RC question but strongly related. My son has a Chinese power wheels car with two 550 motors. I know it is easy to replace the stock no-name motors with a decent brushed motor for more power but I want more efficiency and controllable power with full proportional speed. I'm thinking of using two brushless ESCs running from an Arduino with a foot pedal operated potentiometer and the whole thing running on a pair of large 2S LIPOs in series. The only thing I can't figure is how to get a working reverse mode with this sort of setup. Any ideas on how to set this up without making it an oversized RC car would be appreciated.

John, would you think two of your revolvers would be okay for this kind of use or would you upsize to the Puller Pro XL or even the 4274? I know that one Revolver works great in my TRX-4 but we are looking at getting a lot more weight moving.

Last edited by bbrigg; 02-24-2019 at 10:48 PM.
bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:23 PM   #1064
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrigg View Post
This is not entirely an RC question but strongly related. My son has a Chinese power wheels car with two 550 motors. I know it is easy to replace the stock no-name motors with a decent brushed motor for more power but I want more efficiency and controllable power with full proportional speed. I'm thinking of using two brushless ESCs running from an Arduino with a foot pedal operated potentiometer and the whole thing running on a pair of large 2S LIPOs in series. The only thing I can't figure is how to get a working reverse mode with this sort of setup. Any ideas on how to set this up without making it an oversized RC car would be appreciated.

John, would you think two of your revolvers would be okay for this kind of use? I know that one works great in my TRX-4 but we are looking at getting a lot more weight moving.
Maybe a switch or something to put it in reverse? How are you going to brake? Is there a second pedal? If there is, just make it behave like a radio would (whichever pedal is the opposite of where you are going is the brake).

I think Revolvers would work great, but I would use something a little more potent than 2s, 3s would be the lowest I would use, and pair the Revolvers with SW4s or something like that.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:23 PM   #1065
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteroFlego View Post
Maybe a switch or something to put it in reverse? How are you going to brake? Is there a second pedal? If there is, just make it behave like a radio would (whichever pedal is the opposite of where you are going is the brake).
I think Revolvers would work great, but I would use something a little more potent than 2s, 3s would be the lowest I would use, and pair the Revolvers with SW4s or something like that.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Two 2S in series means 4S voltage. I don't think that separate batteries for the two motors would be a good idea. The switch idea isn't great since you have three wires and two motors so doing the equivalent of switching two wires which reverses the Revolvers might work but the wiring would be a mess and the extra length would likely affect the motors with a delay or just extra resistance.

If I was a code geek I could probably work out some way to output forward on one pedal and then brakes/reverse on another, I've seen that on Proportional Throttle/Braking/Reverse with RC speed control - ModifiedPowerWheels.com but the code wasn't provided. I was thinking that just using a properly adjusted drag brake would work fine for a toy. The Revolver has excellent drag braking.
bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:17 AM   #1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrigg View Post

John, would you think two of your revolvers would be okay for this kind of use or would you upsize to the Puller Pro XL or even the 4274? I know that one Revolver works great in my TRX-4 but we are looking at getting a lot more weight moving.

I converted my sons power wheels to 24v brushed Ebike controllers with 45t 550 motors. He gets reverse through the normal "gear" selector. Don't know if I would trust brushless, it will either break the gears with power or overheat unless you used a phase amp limiting controller. Also very expensive. But, I would personally choose a puller pro 540 or trailmaster 540 in 2200kv for 4s use. Electric skateboard controllers would work well, the VESC has amp limiting and sensored operation.

If you want to run an RC controller, you will need to have your arduino have two modes. Normal operation ,1.5ms to 2ms output signal based on the throttle input. Reverse operation, 1.5ms to 1ms output based on the throttle input. You can toggle between the two modes with a switch or button, and write your code to scale the output based on the state of the button.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:24 PM   #1067
Rock Crawler

When can we expect 12t Trailmaster Sport 550s to be widely available? Checked out amain, still only the older higher turn ones.
There's a 2WD SCT I want to go 3s brushed with and the new 12t seems perfect!
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:25 PM   #1068
I wanna be Dave

I just go direct for my HH fix...

https://holmeshobbies.com/motors/bru...sport-550.html

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:58 AM   #1069
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post

Yeeeeeah... no.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:23 AM   #1070

Pretty sure we have some going to them last week or this week.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:43 PM   #1071
RCC Addict

Hey john, ive been searchin for a BL motor n cant find quite wat im lookin for. Could u please help me out. Im lookin for a low kv, non sensored, 40mm dia max, 55mm long max, 6mm bullets. Shaft doesnt matter, either 3 or 5mm will work. 4s if possible. The trans im running is the scx10 3 gear. Im buildin a solid axle monster truck from a scx10 chassis and ar60 axles. I have metal axles comin for the build. Thank u for any n all help, very much appreciated!

Heres pics of wat im workin on if it helps

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Last edited by indybama; 03-04-2019 at 06:48 PM.
indybama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:39 AM   #1072
Rock Stacker

Hi John, I just bought a HH Puller Pro 540 stubby 2700 from you. Heard nothing but good here about your motors and have been wanting to try one. It’s in a VS4-10, mamba x, 8.5lbs RTR. I basically set up esc to your recommendations on your video. It not nearly as smooth as my 1900, 2280, and 2850 Castle motors. It cogs when climbing and will struggle at a flat face then jerk forward. Not sure what’s going on. Castle motors smooth as ever. I have a email in to you and a call. Hoping to figure this out ASAP. Please email me I can give you my #. Thank you.
Pjking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:23 AM   #1073
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjking View Post
Hi John, I just bought a HH Puller Pro 540 stubby 2700 from you. Heard nothing but good here about your motors and have been wanting to try one. It’s in a VS4-10, mamba x, 8.5lbs RTR. I basically set up esc to your recommendations on your video. It not nearly as smooth as my 1900, 2280, and 2850 Castle motors. It cogs when climbing and will struggle at a flat face then jerk forward. Not sure what’s going on. Castle motors smooth as ever. I have a email in to you and a call. Hoping to figure this out ASAP. Please email me I can give you my #. Thank you.
I'm not John and I'm not the expert you're looking for but that sounds like a sensor wire issue.

Have you tried swapping the cable with one that's known to work?
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:17 AM   #1074
I wanna be Dave

I’ve got that in my VS4, and it’s smooooooth and slooooooow !
Sounds like a bum cable

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 04:02 PM   #1075
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
I'm not John and I'm not the expert you're looking for but that sounds like a sensor wire issue.

Have you tried swapping the cable with one that's known to work?
Thank you for the suggestion, I did get a call back from Justin @HH and checked sensor wire while talking with him. Didn’t help. But, they are sending out a new motor to try. Just was bad timing for me we’ll be on the road, so they are accommodating that and sending it to one of our stops.
Pjking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:47 PM   #1076
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Hey john, ive been searchin for a BL motor n cant find quite wat im lookin for. Could u please help me out. Im lookin for a low kv, non sensored, 40mm dia max, 55mm long max, 6mm bullets. Shaft doesnt matter, either 3 or 5mm will work. 4s if possible. The trans im running is the scx10 3 gear. Im buildin a solid axle monster truck from a scx10 chassis and ar60 axles. I have metal axles comin for the build. Thank u for any n all help, very much appreciated!
If you want brushless non sensored and low KV there is only one option to consider from Holmes Hobbies
REVOLVER 540 SENSORLESS ROCK CRAWLER MOTOR
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:23 AM   #1077

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post

How low is "Low" kv? I have some prototype 4053 size motors that won't be making it into production. But a puller 540 standard also makes pretty big power, it goes down to 2200kv currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjking View Post
sounds like Justin has you covered. Sorry for the issue!
Old 03-06-2019, 08:10 AM   #1078
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
How low is "Low" kv? I have some prototype 4053 size motors that won't be making it into production. But a puller 540 standard also makes pretty big power, it goes down to 2200kv currently.

sounds like Justin has you covered. Sorry for the issue!
Thats bout wat im lookin for in kv. I think i can get by with 60mm long max. Id like to b able to run 4s. Like i said before, im buildin a solid axle monster truck with ar60 axles. Im sure i probably dont need 2200kv or 4s, but wheres the fun in goin small lol. I seen where aaron from rcsparks put one of your 3500kv sensored in his mud truck. Im goin for the bigger tires n im using a scx10 chassis with a ax10 chassis for the lift. It more of a go fast than a crawler build. Plus ive got a leaf sprung project im workin on as a crawler. So ill be lookin at gettin your trailmaster 550 21t. Got one in my scx10 ii n love it. Thanks for the reply back an all the help n info, very much appreciated!

indybama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:13 PM   #1079

I’m new but addicted to the Rc game and had my eyes set on a Gmade R1. I’d like to rock race & crawl in the same run without changing electronics. Would a Castle Mamba X SCT Sensored 25.2V WP ESC & 1415-2400Kv Combo work? Anything else I need buy or need to know? Thanks a million
Mark Stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:26 PM   #1080
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stink View Post
Anything else I need buy or need to know?

Yes............don't buy an R1 axles aren't know for being strong enough for rock racing, get an RR10
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote

Have tech questions? Will answer. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
suspension tech questions. Gen3_Teg_88 General Crawlers 9 07-13-2018 08:29 AM
axle tech questions 808eng_rc Multi Axle Rigs 4 11-07-2013 02:08 PM
(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread JohnRobHolmes Holmes Hobbies 3483 02-05-2013 09:08 PM
2 stupid newbie questions needs answer Mysterious Axial XR10 21 06-18-2012 09:22 AM
? Who has the answer to thes questions ? mik236 Team Losi Comp Crawler 12 05-23-2010 02:40 PM