Thread: (HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 10:00 PM   #3261

Default Re: (HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan wilson View Post
i whould go with a 30 or 35 tourqe master pro
Thanks, will the 30 just be a little faster with less slow speed control? Any other differences?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2011, 10:31 PM   #3262
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 507Eli View Post
Thanks, will the 30 just be a little faster with less slow speed control? Any other differences?
just faster still will have great low speed control
Old 12-30-2011, 06:59 AM   #3263
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by reacon View Post
Give him some time he said he gets over 300 emails a day and plus building these I am sure he is busy as heck.
But he has time to get on RCC everyday and look around. The website says 2-3 day turnaround for waterproofing. I sent in my esc 3 weeks ago and an email on the 20th with no response. I just want to know if I should get another esc in the meantime.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:40 AM   #3264
Rock Crawler

hello? mr. john? we need more lemon pledge.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #3265

Hi john ,i have a question before i install my TM Sports,i`ve read a lot about breaking in motors before installation , how do you recommend doing this on the 540 sport motor .

Thanks

UPDATE found your answer to this elsewhere , i finally got my star , easier to search now."If you got an expert or Pro motor from me they are ready to go, minus soldering it in. A sport motor would be good to break in, run it at 3v for 3 minutes or so until the brushes are contacting the comm at least 90%.

Any motor can work well in water, but all motors need to be cleaned afterwards. Compressed air and oil in the bearings is about the best way to do it at home."

Thanks exactly what i needed to know ,i bought sports.

Last edited by Rock_Diggn_Don; 12-31-2011 at 08:06 AM. Reason: found the answer
Old 01-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #3266
Quarry Creeper

Figured I'd post this here too...

Ok, tried to search but don't know how to put this. I just installed my BRXL and noticed that when it's unplugged from the battery the motor seems to have a load on it. Try to spin the drivetrain and it seems bound like the motor has some brake on. Unplug a motor wire from the BRXL and it frees it up letting the drivetrain spin freely. As soon as I plug the motor wire back in, it puts that load back on it. This is with the battery disconnected the whole time BTW. Does the BRXL store juice in it somewhere? Thanks for any input...

BTW, It works just fine, no issues other than this weirdness.

Last edited by Cheatin; 01-01-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #3267
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheatin View Post

Ok, tried to search but don't know how to put this. I just installed my BRXL and noticed that when it's unplugged from the battery the motor seems to have a load on it. Try to spin the drivetrain and it seems bound like the motor has some brake on. Unplug a motor wire from the BRXL and it frees it up letting the drivetrain spin freely. As soon as I plug the motor wire back in, it puts that load back on it. This is with the battery disconnected the whole time BTW. Does the BRXL store juice in it somewhere? Thanks for any input...

I'm sure John will chime in here. But yes, it does store some power. There are two capacitors and that is their job.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #3268
Rock Crawler

Originally Posted by ev0l
Hi John,

Order 7900 was shorted a hat. Are they on backorder or shipping seperate or something? No explanation on the packing list so I wanted to inquire.

Thanks

-Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post

Thats my bad, you need a refund on the hat. Either our site inventory was way off or I lost a box of hats when I moved the biz. Either way we don't have the hats here so I'm sending a refund your way.

Hey John, can you shoot that refund my way for the hat? Thanks!

-Aaron
Old 01-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #3269
Rock Stacker

Does anyone have any contact info on john at holmeshobbies that actually works? i sent him a email like 5 days ago and posted in this thread 4 days ago and cant get a reply on order #8085. when i log into HH it says "Processed" which most of the time does not mean shipped. I REALLY need this order by Jan 7th. like desperately need this before Jan 7th. i ordered December 23rd.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #3270
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by winner View Post
Does anyone have any contact info on john at holmeshobbies that actually works? i sent him a email like 5 days ago and posted in this thread 4 days ago and cant get a reply on order #8085. when i log into HH it says "Processed" which most of the time does not mean shipped. I REALLY need this order by Jan 7th. like desperately need this before Jan 7th. i ordered December 23rd.
I wish that I could help you, as I have been waiting since the beginning of December (now last year) to place an order. I know that he (Jonh) has been around and actually answered one of my questions on the 26th of last month. And I also believe he just recently got married, moved, and is in the process of relocating his business, so he has a pretty full plate. So I guess if we want the BEST, like crawling, we have to exercise patience to get to the top.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #3271
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rocker View Post
I'm sure John will chime in here. But yes, it does store some power. There are two capacitors and that is their job.
Thanks for the info. I left it unplugged from the motor all day and it still does it. I'll leave it unplugged until John chimes in, don't want to load the brushes and whatnot if indeed that's is what it's doing.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #3272
Pebble Pounder

Question about sending you the motors for rebuild. I am going to copper state at the end of the month will there be enough time to get them done? Also do I just send them to you or how is the best way to take care of this.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #3273
RCC Addict

Quote:
I am in the same boat. Ordered the 24th.

I figure a holiday break took place. Totally understandable.

As long as I get my order by the weekend I will be stoked!
Old 01-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #3274
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I gotta lock this thread, please hit me up via my website or direct email (my sig has been updated and directs to the website). Once I get past this work build up I will be able to come back here and post directly, I am just spread too thin at the moment. My apologies for being very difficult to get ahold of lately, we have grown so much in the past six months and I need more hands on deck to keep up! I am bringing in another worker this week to help with warranty, service, and building to give me more time for customer service and product development. I may need to bring in more help for customer service too!

Many thanks for being very patient and understanding! Rest assured I will do everything needed to take care of any orders or labors that need finishing. It is your overwhelming support that has caused this surge, and it is taking things to the next level in 2012!

JRH
Old 01-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #3275

I will go through and take care of these questions here, but for the time being all future correspondence should be routed through emails. Please Please make the subject line include good information and not just a generic "help" or "question".

Updated warranty information for those waiting for a response Holmes Warranty Info « The Search for Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Crab View Post
Thanks for the reply.

So if I wanted the cream of the crop I would order a Team motor and ESC separately? And I am new to this so which direction do I need for a Wraith?
You will need a CW spinning motor for the wraith, assuming it is a RTR.

Yes, you would need to order the team motor and ESC separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlandrc View Post
Hey John,
My BR-XL is not being recognized by my Link. The ESC itself is working and functioning just fine otherwise. Is there software I need to download beforehand, or is it supposed to be automated. My BEC +&- wires are attached to the +&- on the BR-XL, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!!

:Edit: Disregard this post John... I figured it out.
Glad you figured it out! I'm guessing the BEC was interfering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIN View Post

Will you switch a 16T motor?
Yes, we could do this. It was covered in the last email sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudn_1 View Post
John, i received a hyperion 13.5 motor from you for christmas and i was wondering how it is compares to the tekin 13.5? It will be used in a wraith

sent from my damn phone
They are quite similar motors, the hyperion is good quality! It is just harder for me to get them so I am sticking with Tekin on future restocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdb85 View Post
Sorry about being so nondescript my man!

Yea, I'm Bob in Wexford, Pa. (garagedoorbob)

Whenever ya get a chance, I'd appreciate it. Thank You.
Email your way yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyj View Post
Can I get a status on order #7974? I mailed an esc to you for waterproofing on 12/8, and sent an email on 12/20 with no response.
ESC is here safe and sound. We should be doing a batch on thursday and will ensure it is in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rckcrwlr View Post
John,
Did you get my email????

Let me know what I can do with this BR-XL. I also will need to order another one here soon.

Thanks
John
Responded

Quote:
hey bro, did you get my email from 1h1br1d1@gmail.com? on order #8085? i really need this before jan 7th or im F'd. if it hasnt been shipped is there anyway we can work something to insure its here by then?
Found your email, responded. We can take care of you today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levesque87 View Post
Got the email, take it my order will ship when mail runs again?
Looks like you got it on the 29th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman5150 View Post
yep I bought an axial esc to trouble shoot and it works fine. Also even I plug the brxl into my receiver the lights on it dim. Should I send it in?
Sounds like it, read up here Holmes Warranty Info « The Search for Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by 507Eli View Post
Hi john, been getting ready to place an order for a combo for my new dingo kit. I will mostly be driving trails and through some occasional water and mud. I will also do some rock crawling. I would like some wheel speed to get up and go when needed but slow wheel control is more impotant. Im thinking 35t is the way to go. I was gonna go with the sport combo but if its worth it to upgrade for what im doing I will. Which combo would you recommend? Should I even consider the pro handwound combo for my setup

I don't have batteries yet but was thinking 3s 2200 mah lipo.
35t sounds great to me, especially on 3s. If you won't be getting into water, the pro motor will give you a lot better torque and power. If you are getting into water, get a sport motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja turtle View Post
just saw this post of yours. is it too late to change my order from pro to team?
order number 7924. thanks!
It is not, but we would need to refund the order and have you place another. send an email to orders@ my site to discuss please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclife View Post
What is the best way to water proof motors.
Soak it in corrosionX. They really don't need it though, as long as you take them apart and clean em after every outing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan wilson View Post
hay john sent in my 20t tm for repair just making sure it got to you name is dan wilson thanks
Yessir, here safe and sound!

Quote:
No need to waterproof a brushed motor
Yep, pretty much

Quote:
I know you've been puttin' in some work with that motor Dan!!

FYI for the Holmes crowd. DanW has won 3 back to back G6's with that motor
I better get it taken care of quick so he doesn't stop whooping ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffK11 View Post
hey John-
Heard about the great products you have and knowledgable- placed an order this pm for a CC CM36 5700 Motor that I'm looking to run in my Losi Night Crawler with my HPI Flux Motive ESC- (a CC Sidewinder)- which runs brushed and brushless- looking to jump to brushless. Hope this is a good choice?? Recommend anything better??

HPI Flux Motiv with 55T Axial Motor.
Pinion- 13T
Battery- 2S 2200 Lipo
CC BEC

thanks for your input I know you are busy.
JK
Considering your rig and ESC, it is about the best you can do without buying a whole new combo. I would recommend a sensored setup for best control, but with the geardown of the night crawler you may be able to get smooth startups.

If I were to try something different, it would be a Mamba max pro and a 13.5 Tekin Redline or 4400 kv Pro4

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman View Post
John I ordered the brxl and two 55t sport motors

Sent you an email to make certain the sports could handle 4s. If not I wanted 45t motors.

Thanks.
Yep, they will handle 4s just fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock_Diggn_Don View Post
Hey John, Don here, (order 8006) , just wondering when those 45T exchanges might be on the way.i`m the guy that ordered the 27T`s by mistake.

Thanks Don P.
Ill be sure they go out today

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja turtle View Post
morning bump.
You get morning bumps too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrzrone View Post
John please check your email. I have sent you several concerning order id # 8014.
Taken care of, many thanks for being patient with me.

Quote:
anyone got any idea when John is going to check his email and/or this thread? so far the email has 3 days and my post has 2 days =/
I'm not going to check the forum reguarly, I'm having enough troubles with just emails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock_Diggn_Don View Post
Hi john ,i have a question before i install my TM Sports,i`ve read a lot about breaking in motors before installation , how do you recommend doing this on the 540 sport motor .

Thanks

UPDATE found your answer to this elsewhere , i finally got my star , easier to search now."If you got an expert or Pro motor from me they are ready to go, minus soldering it in. A sport motor would be good to break in, run it at 3v for 3 minutes or so until the brushes are contacting the comm at least 90%.

Any motor can work well in water, but all motors need to be cleaned afterwards. Compressed air and oil in the bearings is about the best way to do it at home."

Thanks exactly what i needed to know ,i bought sports.
Great, thanks for posting the info!

Quote:

Sounds like the low side FETS are not shutting off when the brain powers down. Keep an eye on the ESC for erratic behavior or abnormally hot running, I have seen a few exhibit this behavior before they let out the magic smoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ev0l View Post
Originally Posted by ev0l
Hi John,

Order 7900 was shorted a hat. Are they on backorder or shipping seperate or something? No explanation on the packing list so I wanted to inquire.

Thanks

-Aaron

Hey John, can you shoot that refund my way for the hat? Thanks!

-Aaron
Refunded, thanks for the reminder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ruggy View Post
Question about sending you the motors for rebuild. I am going to copper state at the end of the month will there be enough time to get them done? Also do I just send them to you or how is the best way to take care of this.
That may be tough for me to hit at the moment because of how backed up we are. I think it should be possible though. Are you familiar with the service and labor section of my site? You can purchase the rebuilds there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman View Post
I am in the same boat. Ordered the 24th.

I figure a holiday break took place. Totally understandable.

As long as I get my order by the weekend I will be stoked!
No probs, going out today.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #3276

I'm going to open this thread back up for a bit. I kinda miss it

It will get closed again if work starts piling up, but with two workers and another coming on in September I think I can find the time a few days per week to answer questions. Thanks to a great team and better documentation on my site, emails have dropped down to a very manageable level of 25 to 50 on typical days. Between end of November and first of February emails go nuts, so I anticipate another thread closure to keep my sanity around christmas time.

Anyways, I just thought I would try it out for a while. My biggest appreciation goes out to those who tolerated the service lag earlier this year, it was a trial by fire and a big kick in my ass to step up to the next level!

Game on...
Old 07-26-2012, 04:08 AM   #3277
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Ive just installed a BR-XL in my SCX-10 and mine is doing the same thing, Did you get this sorted? Or does anyone no if this is normal?

Cheers Clint..
Old 07-26-2012, 05:57 AM   #3278

I never figured that one out, other than the FETs staying in ON state when the unit is turned off. Doesn't seem to be an issue as long as other operation is normal.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:04 AM   #3279
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I never figured that one out, other than the FETs staying in ON state when the unit is turned off. Doesn't seem to be an issue as long as other operation is normal.
So its all normal hey, thanks for the fast reply

Oh another quick one, was settings/program does the BR-XL come with out of the box?
Old 07-26-2012, 06:05 AM   #3280
RCC Addict

What about generator load. I know when a brushed motor is spun it will actually generate power. So my thought is, could the motor actually spin free when the wires not being connected are not completing the generated circuit and when they are connected the circuit is "complete" thus creating a "load" on the connected motor??

Thoughts John?
Closed Thread

(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Futaba customer support XJkid93 Chit Chat 6 07-24-2012 06:07 PM
ZNO-RC Customer Support ZNO-RC Redcat Crawlers 28 03-20-2012 08:44 PM
axial customer support/service THANKS! superflex General Crawlers 6 01-31-2011 08:40 PM
airtronics customer support dlamb11877sf Electronics 0 04-13-2010 10:04 AM