Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: (HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2008, 06:26 AM   #1221
RCC Addict

Hey John, I was looking around and never really found what I was looking for but will the stock losi mrc esc handle the mini torquemaster? I saw on the website that it recommends another esc but was trying to keep from buying one but if i needed to then i was going to do it all in one order.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2008, 04:38 PM   #1222
Quarry Creeper

John,

I have a 1000kv revolver outrunner with a MM on 3s2p 1100mah A123 cells - I've a split pack currently 1 next to servo and one on rear 4 link.

Do you think I should drop the rear pack and run 3s1p?

Thx
Old 12-10-2008, 12:03 AM   #1223
Quarry Creeper

Hi John, I just ordered one of your Torque Master 55t motors. I am installing this motor on my Axial Kit Scorpion with a Mamba Max ESC. Also going to be running one of your 8 cell saddle packs and a 12T pinion.

My question is regarding the Mamba Max ESC. I am running a Mac computer and have no way to program the ESC. Can I just plug it all together and go, or should I hunt down a PC running XP (32 bit) so I can program?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:05 AM   #1224

Default First RC - TXT1 to be modded into a robot

-This comes from another post on this forum by referral-

Hello!

I'm building my first RC vehicle and needed your help with the part selection. I've been through a lot of stuff on this on the forums and this is what I've gathered. I would appreciate your suggestions (I prefer keeping things simple and straightforward the first time around, so I hope to do with most of the stock setup!)

First off, the purpose - I want to build this RC truck using the TXT-1 to be later used as a mobile robotics platform (that means, I'll be adding a small laptop and a few light-weight sensors)

Here are my current design choices -

1. Tamiya TXT-1
2. Novak Super Duty XR ESC
3. HiTec 5645 x 2 for the steering
4. Futaba 2DR 2-channel AM/2 S3003 Servos
5. EMS servo reverser Futaba J
6. Tower Hobbies 7-cell 8.4volts NiCd
7. DuraTrax Piranha charger

Does this look right? I'm especially concerned about the ESC, the steering servos and the batteries (no speed concerns).

Could you suggest good NiMh packs as alternative to the NiCads, I expect some serious discharge current requirement considering the two servos, plus the additional weight of the laptop.

Also, am I missing anything? I appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2008, 02:12 AM   #1225
RCC Addict

I received my motors pretty quickly. Good job and thanks!

I have a question though. When i ordered my motors, i chose for it to have the comm cut for smoother low speed control. I figured this would be better but what exactly did you do to the comm? Do i still have to break in the brushes (in cup of water?) ?

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2008, 07:42 AM   #1226
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRCC View Post
Got a update when you will be getting more 55T TM Prowounds in? I see only 1 instock and i need two. Thank you for your time.
About two weeks from now I will have p-94 built handwounds. No 55t is on order though. I will get some wound up with the next batch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOOTZ View Post
waaaaaaaay cool, thanks for those john, next i need will be a very economical but good lipo (2s 7.4v)charger, let me know.
If you need a balancing charger, the 0403i by hyperion is super easy to use and tiny. If you just want a charger, I have thunder power one in the clearance section of my site. Both require a 12v power source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
how do I decide what motor to use from you? I ran a Tekin 55t and FXR combo for the last 4 months of the comp season. I was using (2) 3 cell saddle packs of 3/2A 1500 MAH. I want more power, so I will be moving up to LiPo next season, but I'd like a more powerful motor.

I want to keep the low end control and torque that I currently have, but I'd like more top end power, too, for wheel speed ( when needed). How many turns on one of your hand wound motors should I be looking for? I want to keep the FXR. I'm running a 87T spur and a 13T Pinion.

Thanks for any help.
Basically a handwound motor is your bet. If you want more speed, got down in winds. You will still have greater torque and better low speed control as compared to the machine wound tekin. 45 and 35t motors are popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon635 View Post
Hey John, I was looking around and never really found what I was looking for but will the stock losi mrc esc handle the mini torquemaster? I saw on the website that it recommends another esc but was trying to keep from buying one but if i needed to then i was going to do it all in one order.

thanks
The stock ESC sometimes works, but at full throttle it can lurch and glitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arct1k View Post
John,

I have a 1000kv revolver outrunner with a MM on 3s2p 1100mah A123 cells - I've a split pack currently 1 next to servo and one on rear 4 link.

Do you think I should drop the rear pack and run 3s1p?

Thx
You don't need the 2p construction really, but I am not familiar with the voltage profile under load. If they will take 30 amps without sagging too much you are good, but if they are like the M1 size cells you might get a ton of sag and it will make you lose power under strain. A little lipo pack would have more power in a smaller space really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostreet View Post
Hi John, I just ordered one of your Torque Master 55t motors. I am installing this motor on my Axial Kit Scorpion with a Mamba Max ESC. Also going to be running one of your 8 cell saddle packs and a 12T pinion.

My question is regarding the Mamba Max ESC. I am running a Mac computer and have no way to program the ESC. Can I just plug it all together and go, or should I hunt down a PC running XP (32 bit) so I can program?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You will need to at least change the MM to brushed mode. Otherwise the addition of drag brake and full reverse is nice to have. It would certainly be easiest if you could hunt down an XP machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppking04 View Post
-This comes from another post on this forum by referral-

Hello!

I'm building my first RC vehicle and needed your help with the part selection.

First off, the purpose - I want to build this RC truck using the TXT-1 to be later used as a mobile robotics platform (that means, I'll be adding a small laptop and a few light-weight sensors)

Here are my current design choices -

1. Tamiya TXT-1
2. Novak Super Duty XR ESC
3. HiTec 5645 x 2 for the steering
4. Futaba 2DR 2-channel AM/2 S3003 Servos
5. EMS servo reverser Futaba J
6. Tower Hobbies 7-cell 8.4volts NiCd
7. DuraTrax Piranha charger

Does this look right? I'm especially concerned about the ESC, the steering servos and the batteries (no speed concerns).

Could you suggest good NiMh packs as alternative to the NiCads, I expect some serious discharge current requirement considering the two servos, plus the additional weight of the laptop.

Also, am I missing anything? I appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks!
Everything looks pretty good. There really isn't anything wrong with nicad packs, they will actually give you more cycles than nimh. I suggest getting some 3300 packs from cheapbatterypacks.com, they are very inexpensive but great cells. They can construct them any way you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddeprived View Post
I received my motors pretty quickly. Good job and thanks!

I have a question though. When i ordered my motors, i chose for it to have the comm cut for smoother low speed control. I figured this would be better but what exactly did you do to the comm? Do i still have to break in the brushes (in cup of water?) ?

Thanks!
I cut the comm I put the arm on my lathe and cut the comm until it was perfectly round and straight. The Integy motors come with quite the wonky comm. For that motor, don't worry about breaking in the brushes. You can if you really want, but I seriously doubt that you would be able to tell a difference in performance.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:47 AM   #1227
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

John,
Would the Mamba Micro Pro be able to handle one of your 45t 540 handwounds with 3S in a 2.2 single motor?

Oh and I thought I heard someone mention a cobalt puller 400 the other day. Did my ears lie or are you working on something like that.

Last edited by Locked Up; 12-10-2008 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:51 AM   #1228

The micro can't handle 540 motors, except maybe a 55t on 6 cell 2/3a pack.

The Cobalt 454 is what you are thinking of, it is a 400 frame motor.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:30 PM   #1229
RCC Addict

Quote:
I cut the comm I put the arm on my lathe and cut the comm until it was perfectly round and straight. The Integy motors come with quite the wonky comm. For that motor, don't worry about breaking in the brushes. You can if you really want, but I seriously doubt that you would be able to tell a difference in performance.
Thanks! I went ahead and isntalled them. Can't wait to send this rig flying again.

Chris
Old 12-11-2008, 09:00 AM   #1230
Rock Stacker

hey john,

what would you recommend for you coblat puller 10T motor. will a rooster crawler work or should i get a MM or FXR
Old 12-11-2008, 09:26 AM   #1231
I wanna be Dave

Default Pre made plug adaptor

Can I get a premade plug adaptor to go from the stock Tamia plug on the Duratrax Onyx 220 charger to go to a deans male plug? my batts. are female Deans plugs.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:47 AM   #1232

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply to the previous post. I had a quick query, I'm using the Super Duty XR ESC. And I'll be having my circuit onboard for interfacing with the sensors and also the steering servos (won't be using the R/C receivers). Now I was wondering how stable the BEC output (rated 6volts, 3A) of the ESC is? Is it stable enough for me to directly use as input power for my circuit? Does it fluctuate or give glitches causing potential circuit resets?

If it's going to cause problem, what do you suggest?

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2008, 04:48 PM   #1233
TN State Champ 11,12,13

Question Torque master mini

Hey John,

You recently sent me a new pair of brushes for the tmm. I took off the top cap of the motor when installing them and now i'm not sure how to zero the timing of the motor for flipped tranny. Could you help me? Do you have any pics? I have searched all over hear and can't find any?

Last edited by Pdog7; 12-12-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:08 PM   #1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksully View Post
hey john,

what would you recommend for you coblat puller 10T motor. will a rooster crawler work or should i get a MM or FXR
All would work well. The MM and FXR are more programmable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
Can I get a premade plug adaptor to go from the stock Tamia plug on the Duratrax Onyx 220 charger to go to a deans male plug? my batts. are female Deans plugs.
Yes, they are on my site here http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=10&page=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppking04 View Post
Hi John,

Thanks for the reply to the previous post. I had a quick query, I'm using the Super Duty XR ESC. And I'll be having my circuit onboard for interfacing with the sensors and also the steering servos (won't be using the R/C receivers). Now I was wondering how stable the BEC output (rated 6volts, 3A) of the ESC is? Is it stable enough for me to directly use as input power for my circuit? Does it fluctuate or give glitches causing potential circuit resets?

If it's going to cause problem, what do you suggest?

Thanks!
The BEC won't take much much on the XR, so use on servos may be limited. It is stable at low amperage though, so you could power small circuits. A voltage regulator or "external" bec would be a good idea depending on the servos you use, rig weight, and terrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog7 View Post
Hey John,

You recently sent me a new pair of brushes for the tmm. I took off the top cap of the motor when installing them and now i'm not sure how to zero the timing of the motor for flipped tranny. Could you help me? Do you have any pics? I have searched all over hear and can't find any?
See this post now, it is the same for most all brushed motors http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=10&page=1
Old 12-13-2008, 06:42 PM   #1235
RCC Addict

Default $6 5pole brushed motors

Wow, that's a great price on that motor!

When you say it's slow on 6cells...........like 75T motor slow, or slower?

Running in an indoor only, 1.9 x-trail on 6cells , 49:1 overall ratio, (with 5 and 7 year olds - so slow is good).

thx
Old 12-13-2008, 09:06 PM   #1236
I wanna be Dave

Hey John,do you have any 35 turn handwounds yet?Also do you have any mrc motors left?.Also do you have any torquemaster esc's?(i'd love to have one).I need 2 35 turn torquemaster handwounds,1 torque master esc,and one mini torquemaster motor..Let me know if you have any and I will come meet up with you again and get them from you,so hold them back for me if you do have them and I will come up monday or tuesday to get them.Just let me know John.Thanks.

Last edited by Jeepial; 12-13-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:25 PM   #1237
Quarry Creeper

hey do you ship to an apo address
Old 12-14-2008, 08:12 PM   #1238
RCC Addict

ok,

Specs:
running a 7t puller,
mamba max esc,
castle BEC,
rig weighs 7lbs,
front wheels are 1.2lbs each,
rears are 0.8lbs each
approximately 13/87 gearing on axial trans

wanting to run 3s lipo,

current pack is 1500mAh, 15C, 20C burst.

I feel this is underpowered and will stress the battery I have been testing the rig with.

do you agree?
something this size but maybe 35c more acurate?

how much continuous amperage should I look for?
Old 12-15-2008, 07:52 AM   #1239
TN State Champ 11,12,13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
All would work well. The MM and FXR are more programmable.

Yes, they are on my site here http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=10&page=1

The BEC won't take much much on the XR, so use on servos may be limited. It is stable at low amperage though, so you could power small circuits. A voltage regulator or "external" bec would be a good idea depending on the servos you use, rig weight, and terrain.

See this post now, it is the same for most all brushed motors http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=10&page=1
John-

The link you gave for timing on brushed motors is for tamaya products on your site, not setting timing on torque master mini. Could you try again please?
Old 12-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #1240
I wanna be Dave

Any idea when these will be in stock?

http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=22&page=1

Eagerly awaiting its status so I can order a few
Closed Thread

(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Futaba customer support XJkid93 Chit Chat 6 07-24-2012 06:07 PM
ZNO-RC Customer Support ZNO-RC Redcat Crawlers 28 03-20-2012 08:44 PM
axial customer support/service THANKS! superflex General Crawlers 6 01-31-2011 08:40 PM
airtronics customer support dlamb11877sf Electronics 0 04-13-2010 10:04 AM