Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: RTR build CG3 - PICS INSIDE -Team BROOD Frenzy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default RTR build CG3 - PICS INSIDE - FULLY BUILT!

Alright time to get busy with the build! I bought my RTR a couple years back. Ran the heck out of it most of the normal mods, lowered electronics, steel lockers f&r, bent links, wheel wideners, 1.9 axial beadlocks drilled for the wideners, and some Flatirons. Just got it back out a couple of weeks ago after not touching it for almost a year, and got the bug again.

Not a big RC guy so let me know if there are any things that may help my progress. So far I have bought a CG3 chassis, shock outboarding kit, thunder charger, 2 800mah 2s lipo's, and a Brood Frenzy 22t mini motor. Still waiting on the shock kit, charger/lipos, and the motor but I did get the chassis all put together and ran a pack through it to see how it handled.

Gotta say there is a huge difference in the flex of the suspension. It doesn't flex as well as the old RTR chassis did but it seems to scale everything in its way easier than before. I did have to trim the skid on it but was ready for that from reading other builds. Not sure if I would benifit from a different link setup at the skid end or not. Anyways ON TO THE PICS!

Here it is playing on my rock pile. This is how it sat for the last couple of years.

Here is the CG3 chassis kit

Here it is up against the stock chassis

Modded Skid plate, used a couple of 3mm washers to space it out.

And some action shots on the pile

Last edited by 99xjlove; 07-26-2012 at 09:17 AM.
99xjlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2012, 01:31 AM   #2
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Default Re: RTR build CG3 - PICS INSIDE

Good choice on the chassis. Shes a worker.

Couple of things Id change up. 1st being tires. The Flat Irons are just OK as a scaler shoe but not near as consistent or aggressive as the 1.9 Rovers. Get a decent non memory foam with em & you'll be hooking lines your FI's just spun on.

I'd also limit my suspension WAY down. While the flex shots are definitely cool...that much articulation actually hinders your little rig. I haven't run the Gatekeeper but gotta imagine its like most MRC plates. I personally run my rig slammed. It's setup this way as an overall better stance, improving all areas other than the obvious break overs.

Try limiting your shocks internally & externally & see how you like it. Im willing to bet that you'll see your rig being much more planted on sidehills, descents & climbs.

Where were you planning on running those 800mAh packs? Be creative. Thats a lot of weight for these little turds to have hangin around up high or off balanced.

So far so good tho man. You're on your way to a capable little rig.

J.D.

Last edited by HARDKNOCKZ; 04-02-2012 at 01:35 AM.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:04 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The first few shots with the white body were on the stock chassis and suspension. There is not even close to that much flex now. i plan on running the pack on the front or rear links. Right now it's kinda front heavy so probably the rear.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99xjlove View Post
The first few shots with the white body were on the stock chassis and suspension. There is not even close to that much flex now. i plan on running the pack on the front or rear links. Right now it's kinda front heavy so probably the rear.
Gotcha...those ARE some cool flex shots. I dont think I've seen a mini with that much articulation.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks. It was just the stock setup with integy bent links. I'm using 20wt oil in the stock shocks. What kind of aftermarket shocks does everyone run?
Old 04-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

For the GC3, you need Vendetta rears. At least that seems to be the most common setup and is what I ran on my GC3.
papabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

So use the vendetta rears on all 4 corners?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Yep!
papabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Cool, ill give that a shot. Thanks!
Old 04-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

So I just checked the mail and all I can say is wow! Eddie you are fast man! I ordered my Brood Frenzy on saturday morning and it showed up today! Fastest shipping I've had since Cheaper Than Dirt! Doesn't happen very often Props to u man! Now I have to order the rc18t 66 tooth spur and a pinion set. What pinion do you suggest again?

Brood Frenzy and shock outboarding kit.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:03 AM   #11
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99xjlove View Post
So I just checked the mail and all I can say is wow! Eddie you are fast man! I ordered my Brood Frenzy on saturday morning and it showed up today! Fastest shipping I've had since Cheaper Than Dirt! Doesn't happen very often Props to u man! Now I have to order the rc18t 66 tooth spur and a pinion set. What pinion do you suggest again?

Brood Frenzy and shock outboarding kit.
I ran an 11t for a tad more wheel speed. Im not sure with a 22t motor. Maybe try srepping the pinion down to an 11 or 12 tooth before doing the spur & see how she does?

J.D.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I think in the thread where Eddie told me about the motor he said that they used a 66t spur and a 12 tooth pinion. Does a smaller tooth pinion give more wheel speed or tq? I would like to be able to launch up an obstical if the tires just spin when I creep up it.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:13 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: RTR build CG3 - PICS INSIDE -Team BROOD Frenzy

By the looks of it you might have to make a spacer plate to move your motor back to get the correct mesh on the pinion. I has similar issues when I ran the Reedy Stump Puller. The pinion shaft is much shorter than the stock one.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #14
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Yeah...BWD makes a snazzy aluminum motor spacer that works killer for improving the mating of set screw to shaft. Wow...I said mating, screw & shaft all in 1 sentence.

Anyhoo...the smaller pinion is going to improve torque. With the Frenzy being a 22T...wheel speed is going to be super quick. With these little motors, ya just gotta find yhat happy place of torque, wheel speed & overall motor health.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Alright HARDKNOCKZ i'll have to pick up a spacer then. And I think my neighbor had a whole set of pinions so i'll have to see what he's got and go from there. My thunder charger and sky lipos showed up today. Looks like the lipos will fit perfect on the upper links.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Ok so I got my lipos and charger . Got everything converted over to micro deans plugs. Ran about 4 packs through it so far. Mounted the battery on the rear 4 link plate flush with the end and the majority of the pack towards the middle of the chassis. Just took it out for a spin and about 2the minutes in the steering servo quit working. Not to sure why. Any suggestions?
Old 04-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Okay got my servo problems situated. 2s + No BEC = Fried stock servo :-) Now that I've taken care of that part I can play.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Okay so today I situated my BEC and Servo stuff. I also installed my Team Brood Frenzy! Thanks again EDDY! I am running the Frenzy with a 14T right now and it seems awesome. The motor does get hot though! Next step is Vendetta Rear shocks and outboarding the shocks (figured i'd wait till I got the new shocks).

On with the Pics

Here is a shot of my mess of wires

And one of the Frenzy installed.

As you can see I didn't run a spacer. I just flipped the Pinion to where the Smooth part with the set screw were at the base and I used a dremel to smooth out a flat spot along the shaft for the SET SCREW to GRAB.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Motor hot is usually overgeared, drop the pinion ~2 teeth (like a 12T) and see how it does.

Check temps, wheel speed and torque, see what you like.

A little overheating is sorta OK, too much WILL kill the motor, even a great one.

Last edited by Charlie-III; 07-26-2012 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Fix typo
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:04 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Alright. Thanks Charlie! Try that in the AM!

RTR build CG3 - PICS INSIDE -Team BROOD Frenzy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CG3 Build Question netsurfr Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 02-15-2011 05:33 AM
New to the AX-10 and already love it (pics inside) aftershock1 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 6 07-10-2009 04:59 PM
Winter RC Pics inside... BigBaller Chit Chat 14 01-05-2008 05:38 PM
Thanks for all the help! (pics inside) orangejulius HPI Wheely King 0 10-18-2007 07:25 PM
Scaleish Bronco Build Full Exo, High Lift Axles, etc Pics inside jamesbernatchez 2.2 Scale Rigs 45 12-18-2006 10:24 AM