Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: RC4WDs New Micro Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2016, 06:39 PM   #121
Rock Stacker

Default Re: RC4WDs New Micro Crawler

A bit of matte clear. You gotta start somewhere.

I always think of something like this when people say they dropped the trans

Spun the cover aside because I didn't want to take the yokes off. Those o-rings are tiny. Note the adjustable gear mesh.

Last edited by Clingman; 03-16-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Clingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2016, 01:24 PM   #122

I got mine yesterday had to go pick it up because I wasn't home but when I finally got my greasy hands on it I can say that it's a pretty solid little rig, the chassis had no flex or twist at all so it's engineered quite nicely however the turning radius sucks, found out that the steering knuckle is limited by the bolt that holds the shocks on, so I removed it and tested, it seemed to improve until I turned the wheels and the dog bones seem to want to turn out of the yoke at any degree greater than what is stock capable

If anyone has investigated it more thoroughly let me know, because I've yet to take the front axle apart and have a look which I'm dreading as this rig is a lot more complicated construction than what I thought it would be but it may be as simple as removing an o-ring from the yoke to allow it to sit better and achieve a sharper turn???
crawler will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:59 PM   #123
Quarry Creeper

Got mine today and the servo went out at around 3 minutes of run time and it won't go in reverse anymore. Pretty lame.
tacocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:49 PM   #124
I wanna be Dave

After looking at all these pictures more closely I'm starting to think the motor is the same size as the tiny Losi Micro and not a 130 "big block" Xmod/Mini Z size. that would also explain the lack of power with the heavy metal parts everyone is reporting. has anyone compared the stock RC4WD motor to a Losi or a big block yet?
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:21 PM   #125
Rock Stacker

Sounds like theseeing are a great start to a mini rig but need changes like any other crawler. Surprising amount of detail even from rc3wd. Also the aftermarket companies will be hot to get parts released soon.
mtnbiker4evr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:31 PM   #126
I wanna be Dave

It would be nice,but I wouldn't hold my breath on aftermarket parts for this. I'm not aware of many or any aftermarket parts for RC4WD trucks other than from them. The micro scene itself doesn't really have much for aftermarket support other than some hot racing bits and independent vendors. Still, if enough people start buying these and there is lots of builds on the forums I'm sure that could change.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:14 PM   #127
Quarry Creeper

Anyone have an idea on whether my reverse cutting out is either the motor itself or maybe the ESC?
I emailed rc4wd about and and they had me send a video showing my shit was messed up. Hopefully tomorrow they'll either mail me new parts or tell me to piss up a rope.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:29 PM   #128
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
After looking at all these pictures more closely I'm starting to think the motor is the same size as the tiny Losi Micro and not a 130 "big block" Xmod/Mini Z size. that would also explain the lack of power with the heavy metal parts everyone is reporting. has anyone compared the stock RC4WD motor to a Losi or a big block yet?
I think it's an 030. 12mm from flat to flat

Last edited by Clingman; 03-16-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:59 AM   #129
Pebble Pounder

... which makes it stock losi size then.

I wonder if a predator from Dan would be enough to get this thing moving properly?

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk
Sparks1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:13 AM   #130
Rock Stacker

I read a little about these motors last night. They are common in 1/32 slot cars. An 050 is a long can 030. I got an 050 on the way from eBay to try out. Will post results when it shows up.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:09 AM   #131
I wanna be Dave

What does the motor mounting surface look like on the transmission? It looks like there is enough room for a big block in the chassis. It may just be a matter of mounting the motor.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:38 AM   #132
Rock Stacker

I don't think a big block will bolt up, because the hole spacing on the 030/050 is closer. But, looking at slot car vendors, there are a TON of motor options. I picked a high torque motor. We'll see how it goes...
Old 03-17-2016, 12:53 PM   #133
I wanna be Dave

Default RC4WDs New Micro Crawler

Slot car motors are rated at 12v, IIRC.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:25 PM   #134

I managed to bolt a Losi motor to it using one bolt inside the transmission, it had the smallest Losi gear on it and everything seems to spin, yet to wire it up and test it but it proves you can bolt a Losi motor on
Old 03-17-2016, 01:53 PM   #135
Rock Stacker

Will, I don't have one of those motors to look at. Does it look like the other motor mount screw slot can be elongated to allow the mounting of that motor with both screws?
Old 03-17-2016, 01:53 PM   #136
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacocat View Post
Anyone have an idea on whether my reverse cutting out is either the motor itself or maybe the ESC?
I emailed rc4wd about and and they had me send a video showing my shit was messed up. Hopefully tomorrow they'll either mail me new parts or tell me to piss up a rope.
They are replacing the esc on their dime. Hopefully this solves the issue!
Thanks rc4wd!
Old 03-17-2016, 02:14 PM   #137
I wanna be Dave

Strange. My last 2 replies are gone. I figured if the losi bolts up a 130 can big block wouldn't. Just like with the Losi you'd need to adapt something, but it should be doable. Another option of course is to do a divorced setup. From what I see it should be pretty easy. Then you can mount bigger motors up front with a gearhead, Losi Trans, or just a spur and pinion. It would also allow you to easily dial in more or less reduction if you still wanted.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:31 PM   #138

Losi motor update: so i wired the losi motor up and the thing pulls like a schoolboy and this is with the battery that came with it, it hasn't been fully charged yet cause i had to order a charger separately.

i had driven it a bit with the stock motor on and the battery out of the box and it didn't seem this powerful, but that could have been a one time occurrence, not sure what everyone else's experiences has been with it ??

to answer clingmans questions the way i bolted the losi motor on was with one of the small bolts that actually holds the transmission case cover on, so that long bolt that goes right the way through the case that allows the motor to pivot will not bolt into the losi motor cause 1: its too big of a diameter. and 2: the losi motor's holes are just the tiniest fraction different to the stock motor so the two holes of the losi motor do not align with the holes of the transmission but i think that with the next gear up from the smallest losi one that it will mesh perfectly making there only the need for the one bolt anyway
Old 03-17-2016, 02:38 PM   #139
Rock Stacker

Very cool, thanks for the update.

Out of the box, mine is definitely not big on torque. It's not just yours that was like that.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:48 PM   #140
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
What does the motor mounting surface look like on the transmission? It looks like there is enough room for a big block in the chassis. It may just be a matter of mounting the motor.
There's quite a few gears in that tranny, and it's cast- doesn't look easy to change the mounting holes. It's set up like a stock losi can. The holes on the stock rc4wd motor is m2 instead of m1.6, creating another issue. I ordered a 12mm long m1.6 screw to try to fit a 100t motor, but I'm not sure if using skinnier hardware in the tranny is a good idea, I'll find out I guess.
Might just throw a sumo tranny and motor in mine to try it.
TownsendTdi is offline   Reply With Quote

RC4WDs New Micro Crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BWD Micro Wheel Weight System for the new Losi Micro Crawler! billet works Vendors Market 19 10-18-2010 05:42 PM
~Petition for RC4WDs next 1.9, 3.7" tall tire~ STANG KILLA SS Tires and Wheels 105 02-03-2008 02:17 AM
RC4WDs Aluminum 2.2 Hilux wheels SuperSancho Tires and Wheels 5 04-29-2006 12:42 PM