Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: exceed rc maxstone 16 upgrades and tuning?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2014, 07:56 PM   #681

Default Re: exceed rc maxstone 16 upgrades and tuning?

i used the pinion off the stock motor so im not sure. I just googled the upgrade when the stock motor died. that's how I found out it would fit.
dropstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2014, 08:46 PM   #682
I wanna be Dave

What pinion did you use? I want to go ahead and get an extra motor for my son's 16.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:24 PM   #683
Rock Stacker

Metal lockers are 20$ at nitro right now. Ive been workin on mine a lot lately. Should be a 48 pitch pinion. Mobile Uploads Photos by bellersteven | Photobucket
Dubnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:41 PM   #684
Rock Stacker

I haven't checked in on this thread in a while felt like I was alone in here for a while. Glad to see more interest in the EMS16. Mine has been awesome. Scored a chaotic crawlers chassis on the classifieds for 8$ got a gatekeeper skidplate. 4 link front and rear 20 wt shock oil. No torque twist anymore. I'm going to write up my build soon with links and pictures of upgrades. As soon as I get my star so pics are easy. My maxstone is sooo much fun! Outperformed a stock mrc and a slickrock so far. I will try to post a video.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #685
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubnrub View Post
I haven't checked in on this thread in a while felt like I was alone in here for a while. Glad to see more interest in the EMS16. Mine has been awesome. Scored a chaotic crawlers chassis on the classifieds for 8$ got a gatekeeper skidplate. 4 link front and rear 20 wt shock oil. No torque twist anymore. I'm going to write up my build soon with links and pictures of upgrades. As soon as I get my star so pics are easy. My maxstone is sooo much fun! Outperformed a stock mrc and a slickrock so far. I will try to post a video.
nice i got mine today so far vary happy with it and also got the fireball 370 motor today ..
chazekxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #686
I wanna be Dave

Let us know about the fireball motor, is it a direct fit? what pinnion? is it faster and still climb/crawl etc. I may put a holmes hobbies motor in my sons I want him to keep up with my scx10.

Last edited by snapon boy; 12-03-2014 at 07:12 PM.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:40 PM   #687
Rock Stacker

I put a 370 motor in mine with the stock 14 tooth pinion. It is a lot faster than stock. I had to drill the motor plate the bolts on the new motor are spaced further apart. It fits just fine. I have read about some people having to shave the trans a little depending on the pinion gear.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:44 AM   #688
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapon boy View Post
Let us know about the fireball motor, is it a direct fit? what pinnion? is it faster and still climb/crawl etc. I may put a holmes hobbies motor in my sons I want him to keep up with my scx10.
the wires on the 370 are not the same
Old 12-05-2014, 09:28 AM   #689
Rock Stacker

In what way are the wires different?
Old 12-05-2014, 09:10 PM   #690
Rock Stacker

the wires are a lot smaller in size. and it has a white plug on the wires so u could use the wires off the old motor if u want to. i have not put the new
motor in yet
Old 12-06-2014, 02:14 PM   #691
Rock Stacker

well i got the 370 in today. and put grease in the trans also so much more wheel speed and torque.o and u have to put a flat spot on the motor shaft.for the pinon. also ordered a body for it f150 ford raptor hope it will work

Last edited by chazekxt; 12-06-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:09 PM   #692
Rock Stacker

I see. Mine where smaller gauge also. I used a soldering gun to remove them and solder on the wires from the original motor. Mine came with a flat side on it but I did have to drill my motor plate for the larger bolt pattern of the 370. Much mire wheel speed. I have broken the screw that holds the drag link to the knuckle about 5 times now. Need to work out some better linkage angles. Pretty happy with the steering though.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #693
Rock Stacker

nice i need some alum c hubs next just dont want to spend 28 bucks on them
Old 12-08-2014, 05:22 PM   #694
Rock Stacker

I have aluminum chubs, knuckles and rear lockouts and cv type front axles all for about 45$. 3 racing parts for a losi MRC. I was checkin out the new redcat everest 16. It identical to a HSP and exceed. TVPs are different. If your looking for a new chassis I saw one on tcs crawlers sure for 10$ lots of options for mounting links and shocks on it! I might by two for the EMS 16s I get my boys for Christmas.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:25 PM   #695
Rock Stacker

Metal lockers are still on sale for 20$ at NitroRC. I have mine in already. I need to learn how to copy link to this stuff. Sorry, 42 year old man with a smart phone. Haha. Takes me 20 minutes to fat finger one reply.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:30 PM   #696
Rock Stacker

I was hoping the new redcat would have different ring and pinion ratios for an overdrive/under drive mod. Looks like they are both 38/14. Wheelbases are a little different also. I wonder if it is in the links or the chassis.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:52 PM   #697
Rock Stacker

If you read through this entire thread there are detailed instructions on how to switch over to mrc upgrades. If your gonna do it the losi or the slickrock plastick lockouts are more than strong enough and are only 5$ and the zero Ackerman knuckle can be found for 15$. It's all very simple. I didn't foul it up when I did it. Don't get the GPM rear lockouts they don't come with the bearing collar and filing the EMS plastic chub down flat to fit isn't worth a crap. I have a lot of play in mine but have the stock dogbones and cups so I think it is ok as long as it doesn't pull the screws out of the axles. I ordered losi plastic lockouts and steel straight axles for the rear.

Last edited by Dubnrub; 12-08-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #698
Rock Stacker

i didnt think the losi c hubs fit the maxstone 16.axle ?
Old 12-09-2014, 07:33 AM   #699
Rock Stacker

Dizzle, I have done the side by side comparison of the MRC axle to the EMS axles. The pinion and ring are so close to swapping but don't. I'm not sure on the tooth count for the overdrive but I believe Jereosbou is doing something with that.

I did do the MRC CVDs swap into my EMS. I used:
EMS axle housing
EMS diff and pinion
EMS knuckles
MRC c-hubs
MRC CVDs
MRC hardware

I had to shave the CVDs down like Jereosbou posted pictures of. I also had to shave the end of the EMS axle housing down to accept the MRC c-hub. But that is all the modifying I had to do. After that everything bolts into place. Here is a picture of the axle housing mod.

In this picture I have filed the front half of the axle housing down and held it up to the back portion to show how much is getting filed off. Obviously both halfs need to be filed down.

I hope that with this picture and Jereosbou's picture of the modified CVDs it will be easy to understand.

Check out post 350 of this thread. You have to shave down the EMS axles the MRC carries the bearing in the chub the EMS houses it in the axle. It's easily done, I have done it. EMS housings are slightly longer. Read this entire thread. So much great information. Really great tech tips in here. I have been bashing my EMS for a couple months with the chubs and knuckles installed. No breakage of anything other than screws on my steering linkage. I ordered some stainless steel hardware and am trying to work out my angles. I have some binding somewhere.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:35 AM   #700
Rock Stacker

It all starts around page 10 or so. All that required is a file.