Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Turtle's Modified XV-01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #221
Gettin’ back on the horse

Default Re: Turtle's Modified XV-01

Yeah it was a tough decision to make the cuts I did. I was just aiming to get it more like this one.

Maybe 1 more cut and I am really hoping the paint brings it together. Either way it will get used.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #222
Pebble Pounder

An Ogier fan eh? I like it!
FattyMcJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:30 PM   #223
I wanna be Dave

Turtle....you die-hard rally fans sure have a TON of patience with those liveries. Let alone all the other scale items and personal scale garage you've fabricated!! I don't think I will ever have the patience to do half the bodies let alone scale items you do!!

I spent about 2-3 days on 2 of the same Pete Solberg's 07 Subaru Monte Carlo WRC. Decaling that thing was a paaaain then custom lighting the head and tail lights became another nightmare! I did 2 of the same bodies in the same color as the 1:1 so one could be the basher body but now I'm afraid to drive either lol!!
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #224

Quick question: I just currently changed the metal sealed bearings on the wheel hubs to rubber sealed, and after just 2 packs, bearings on the dogbone side started to seize. Very disappointed. In all honesty though, I run them on very fine dirt and changed the grease immediately to trinity royal bearing oil. Will changing back to grease help my bearings last longer?
Smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #225
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
So I've narrowed it down between the XV-01 or the Kyosho DRX VE.
I have both of these cars, and they are both fantastic, but like Turtle said, the XV car handles SHOCKingly well, it's so good, I can't begin to tell you in adjectives. The Kyosho DRX also handles Fantastic, but obviously they are in different classes. I rip them both and love them equally, but the XV does handle and perform way over the top, particularily for such a small car. Amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post

Planning on running a MMP w/Tekin Pro4 4600kv or MMP w/1410 3800kv 4pole. Would this be too much for the XV-01?

Tamiya plastics, alloys, and "steel" although strong always worries me!
I have the 4600 castle in my XV, and it's all plastic inside the gearboxes, and it's just fine. Well lubed, and no problems with the power at all.

Turtle, my buddy Dana just built the XV with the same Golf wide fender, and it's sweet. The lid works well for him, and he left the lower skirts on the body, and just mounted it to have the bottom of the skirts level with the chassis. He and I both are using the longer shock rod ends to get some chassis lift, and it's working great. I know you wondered about the body, but you may fall in love with it after paint.. I know I did.
Generis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #226
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smile View Post
Quick question: I just currently changed the metal sealed bearings on the wheel hubs to rubber sealed, and after just 2 packs, bearings on the dogbone side started to seize. Very disappointed. In all honesty though, I run them on very fine dirt and changed the grease immediately to trinity royal bearing oil. Will changing back to grease help my bearings last longer?
Whether you use metal shielded or rubber shielded bearings no bearing is completely sand or waterproof. It just helps protect the actual bearing but doesn't mean you have to replace them that frequently after just 2 packs?!

If you do a ton of mudding with the rally car then just run copper bearings no real reason to use ball bearings unless you compete in some sort of rally event and time is critical.

Sure not the best way in terms of efficiency and will add extra heat from the resistance but at least it keeps your bearings from seizing. Not to mention super easier to clean.

I build a lot of mud rigs in 2.2 and 1.9 and if the sole purpose of that rig is to be a bogger by all means I use copper bearings. Cheaper, less downtime, easier maintenance.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #227
I wanna be Dave

Well the XV will have to wait lol....rally isn't big at all here in Houston let alone Texas in general. We simply don't have the terrain! It's hard enough finding comp courses so we build them!! Well in the meantime my SC8.2e is keeping me busy so is my DM-1 Spec E....1/8 + brushless + big bag of lipos = one hell of a good time!
Old 05-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #228
Rock Stacker

I bought the same body a couple of weeks ago. just finished painting it now i applying the decals. i went back and forth on cutting the same sections off. i though i would run it first to see how bad the front spoiler digs in. The back lower spoiler section i don't think will last long
BasicMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #229
I wanna be Dave

Yup just like on the 1/8 Kyosho Inferno GT2 Subaru WRC lol....
Old 05-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #230

I always come back to this thread to see what you're up to with your XV-01. I love the paint jobs.

I put my XV-01 Pro together last month. I decided to make it a Mini Me Project

Here are the results

My rims in the last pic are a little dirty but they're not that dark lol.

Took some modifying but I got the Tamiya Lancer body to fit. I'll need to hunt down another set of these rims as the offset is just a little too big.

I did a lot of tiny details, like the black roof strips on the roof were masked and painted black. The window trims were masked and painted black. The body came with all red decals so I couldn't use those for any of the trim, it was a lot of work but it was worth it

Last edited by gtnilc; 05-16-2013 at 03:39 PM.
gtnilc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:24 AM   #231
Rock Stacker

Hey Turtle, I have a question I'm wondering if you can answer. I installed the slipper clutch but I remember reading somewhere where you said that the xv01 after the slipper install is incompatible with the supplied pinion and is need a 48 pitch. What brand of pinion so you use? And just to clear up; is it supposed to be metric 48p or standard 48p? Thanks.
marcod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:29 AM   #232
Rock Stacker

It is standard 48pitch and I use anything between 24-29teeth
Ell206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:59 AM   #233
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ell206 View Post
It is standard 48pitch and I use anything between 24-29teeth
Thanks, I bought a Losi 48p 21t but I fear that the mesh is too loose.. It doesn't specify if it's standard or metric on the package so I may try something else.. Which brand are you using?
Old 05-31-2013, 07:18 AM   #234
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generis View Post
I have the 4600 castle in my XV, and it's all plastic inside the gearboxes, and it's just fine. Well lubed, and no problems with the power at all.

Turtle, my buddy Dana just built the XV with the same Golf wide fender, and it's sweet. The lid works well for him, and he left the lower skirts on the body, and just mounted it to have the bottom of the skirts level with the chassis. He and I both are using the longer shock rod ends to get some chassis lift, and it's working great. I know you wondered about the body, but you may fall in love with it after paint.. I know I did.
Are you using a slipper clutch? if so what pinion are you using? I have the same motor as you.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:23 AM   #235
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcod13 View Post
Thanks, I bought a Losi 48p 21t but I fear that the mesh is too loose.. It doesn't specify if it's standard or metric on the package so I may try something else.. Which brand are you using?
The brand really doesn't matter, I run the Castle Creations 5700kv with a 48pitch 25tooth pinion, and it's working well. No idea brand it is though.
Ell206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:35 AM   #236
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ell206 View Post
The brand really doesn't matter, I run the Castle Creations 5700kv with a 48pitch 25tooth pinion, and it's working well. No idea brand it is though.
Okay thanks, I'm just weary on my mesh with the 21, ill post a pic in my thread a little later. Should I run a larger pinion to fill the gap in the mesh if anything?
Old 05-31-2013, 08:14 AM   #237

Quote:
It is a standard 48 Pitch, the Losi you have is most likely a standard pitch. To the best of my knowledge Tamiya is the only one that still uses the metric style 48 pitch and even they now offer standard 48 pitch pinions.

Quote:
Okay thanks, I'm just weary on my mesh with the 21, ill post a pic in my thread a little later. Should I run a larger pinion to fill the gap in the mesh if anything?
Yeah I would go bigger with the pinion, You want a good mesh with these cars otherwise you will just end up stripping the spur gear. I also highly encourage a steel pinion gear. Aluminum has the tendency to wear very quickly to razor sharp points, which in turn will destroy your spur gear.

Sorry if I missed anyone else's questions. If I did please feel free to ask again.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:00 PM   #238
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
It is a standard 48 Pitch, the Losi you have is most likely a standard pitch. To the best of my knowledge Tamiya is the only one that still uses the metric style 48 pitch and even they now offer standard 48 pitch pinions.

Yep you're right it is standard sized, i was able to do some more research while at work today.

Yeah I would go bigger with the pinion, You want a good mesh with these cars otherwise you will just end up stripping the spur gear. I also highly encourage a steel pinion gear. Aluminum has the tendency to wear very quickly to razor sharp points, which in turn will destroy your spur gear.

I took your advice and did indeed go bigger, all we had at work in 48p was a 24T, i stuck with the Losi because it is steel. It meshes perfectly, im gonna order a 23T just to have on hand though. Thanks Turtle

For anyone else with the spur gearing, wondering what works; 21T meshes but it is extremely loose and will bust a spur under too much power, 22T also meshes but it is still pretty loose and made me paranoid enough to upsize it. 24T meshed perfectly, im sure 23T will work perfect as well.

Last edited by marcod13; 05-31-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #239

Quote:
For anyone else with the spur gearing, wondering what works; 21T meshes but it is extremely loose and will bust a spur under too much power, 22T also meshes but it is still pretty loose and made me paranoid enough to upsize it. 24T meshed perfectly, im sure 23T will work perfect as well.
[/COLOR]
Just stripped my slipper clutch spear gear with my 25t pinion

I got a good run out of it, I'll try switching to my 24t pinion gear when I get a replacement spur gear from Tamiya

Edit: Any chance anyone know of a replacement spur gear other than the Tamiya one? Preferably a metal one, I'd like to keep my options open.

Last edited by gtnilc; 06-11-2013 at 06:17 PM.
gtnilc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #240

I don't think metal is necessary. Chances are your slipper was a little too tight, or the mesh was a little off or something was binding in the system to cause the spur to strip. We were talking about this same thing in FattyMcJ's thread and there are several companies who make a spur gear that will fit the XV-01. Kimbrough is one of them.

I am still running the same spur I put on 6 or 7 months ago. I have broken a lot of other parts, but no issues with the spur... Yet.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rally/400591-turtles-modified-xv-01-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
RC Elétrico - o fórum de automodelismo elétrico! • Tópico: - Querendo começar no Rally This thread Refback 02-20-2013 09:13 AM
Slash Garage This thread Refback 02-14-2013 05:06 PM

Turtle's Modified XV-01 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turtle's Modified DF03ra TURTLE Rally 83 04-10-2014 02:38 AM
Turtle's Modified TB01 TURTLE Rally 78 03-08-2013 01:57 AM
Turtle's Modified DF01 TURTLE Rally 17 08-15-2012 07:05 PM
Turtle's skeeter TURTLE EnRoute Berg 36 06-07-2009 05:02 PM