Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: 2014 scale rules discussion or question thead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2015, 07:58 AM   #601
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 2014 scale rules discussion or question thead

I agree with you on the custom body points - It doesn't look like anything else. Lol
The intent of full hardbody points was to award the weight of a hardbody over lexan.

Do you think it weights as much as a bug body or a hilux?
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2015, 08:59 AM   #602
Rock Crawler

Well, I hate to admit it, but the combo of aluminum, copper and adhesive added almost 1 full pound (0.83lbs to be exact). I don't have a traditional hard body to weigh for comparison, but I do know its much more than lexan!
GiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:21 AM   #603
Quarry Creeper

In my opinion it should get a gazillion point penalty for looking too scary to race against. That looks so mean it'll scare all the other scale trucks to develop electrical issues just so they can be in the pits where it's safe.

Ain't got the words for how awesome that is! Where's the build thread? Edit: found it.

I had an actual question before I got sidetracked by that piece of badassery.

The SUV cargo area point?
Does this apply to:
A blazer or bronco or similar removable top vehicle with the top of?
A sedan with a detailed boot/trunk?

Last edited by Scrap; 01-09-2015 at 05:38 AM.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:43 AM   #604
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
In my opinion it should get a gazillion point penalty for looking too scary to race against. That looks so mean it'll scare all the other scale trucks to develop electrical issues just so they can be in the pits where it's safe.

Ain't got the words for how awesome that is! Where's the build thread?

Thanks my friend, its been a fun build!

Build thread is in the 2.2 Section "Angel of Death"

Back to my original question....I'm fine with how this plays out in regards to scoring. Whatever the verdict may be. If SORRCA feels its only -1 for metal panels, then so be it. -1 it is....

My issue is the fact that I'm helping run tech at a Comp next weekend. I really need to know how SORRCA views this and WHY. Forgive me for blurring the lines here, but in all fairness, the real issue becomes this.

Where is the line and/or criteria to differenciate between flat panels (-1) and hard body (- 8 )?

The answer to that question will help us immensely!
Old 01-09-2015, 09:24 AM   #605
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiJoe View Post
My issue is the fact that I'm helping run tech at a Comp next weekend. I really need to know how SORRCA views this and WHY. Forgive me for blurring the lines here, but in all fairness, the real issue becomes this.

Where is the line and/or criteria to differenciate between flat panels (-1) and hard body (- 8 )?

The answer to that question will help us immensely!
Flat panels:

Hardbody:

Where is the line is not the question to ask - You need to ask does the body in question fit the same criteria as a hardbody.
As I said earlier - Hardbody points are meant to award the extra weight and non flexibility vs a lexan body.
Buggy panels are just that - flat panels.

A body will keep its shape when removed from the chassis, not be a pile of panels. A body has multiple angles, curves, attached pieces vs flat pieces of material.
See where I am going here?

A custom hardbody must resemble a 1:1, I am not going to call that rule not being applied to normal hardbody points a loophole - It makes it slightly harder to gain Custom body points over Hardbody. It also leaves the door open to builds like this, lets people do the craziness and get a reward for time and energy.

If what you've added as a body weights a pound, then your twice the weight of a smaller jeep body or VW bug - SO your not trying to build an ultralight or cut corners.
I'd call it a hardbody mate. The other question to ask at tech tables is why not?
Very few of us are perfect and just because I can explain myself doesn't mean I see every angle.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:33 PM   #606
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the reply doublej! That was exactly the type of info I was looking for!
Old 01-09-2015, 05:48 PM   #607
Rock Crawler

So I can take a car and cover it with tin foil and get hard body points now? I just don't see it. I say -1 for metal panels.
sam63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:41 PM   #608
I wanna be Dave

Seems like the term "hard body" is lacking a definition. I've thought the current rules insinuated the typical abs tamiya, new bright, Tonka and gay bodies... Or a body of hard material as reference to a 1:1.

But then in this case these are not really panels or a traditional "hard body" that we've come to know. It's not readily removable like panels nor does it really resemble anything 1:1...

Something always never fits
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:51 PM   #609

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiJoe View Post

I don't need guys all butthurt feeling like I cheated the system here...
Do you have some Preperation H to keep on hand the 17th? lol
Ripped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:58 PM   #610
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
Do you have some Preperation H to keep on hand the 17th? lol
Haha, I will! Lol
Old 01-09-2015, 06:59 PM   #611

I'm a newb here, so I have a question. Being most 1:1 bouncers I've seen don't run body panels. Would it be legal to not run any panels or interior to cover the electronics in my class 3? I was under the impression that the "body" meant the chassis, and it's not exactly an "easy" chassis to cover with panels because of the design. Thanks in advance
Old 01-09-2015, 10:45 PM   #612
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
Seems like the term "hard body" is lacking a definition. I've thought the current rules insinuated the typical abs tamiya, new bright, Tonka and gay bodies... Or a body of hard material as reference to a 1:1.

But then in this case these are not really panels or a traditional "hard body" that we've come to know. It's not readily removable like panels nor does it really resemble anything 1:1...

Something always never fits
I'm leaning towards not giving points for a body like that. It's definitely interesting, and completely legal to build but understand that you won't be rewarded extra points for it. It's so difficult to define "hardbody" without writing a novel. I mean where do we draw the line between like Sam said.....a piece of foil wrapped over a chassis? Is it defined by weight? Easier to just say no points....but it is pretty cool.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:47 PM   #613
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm a newb here, so I have a question. Being most 1:1 bouncers I've seen don't run body panels. Would it be legal to not run any panels or interior to cover the electronics in my class 3? I was under the impression that the "body" meant the chassis, and it's not exactly an "easy" chassis to cover with panels because of the design. Thanks in advance
From the SORRCA rules.

• All vehicles should have the motor, transmission, and electronics covered and hidden when viewed from the top and sides. Batteries must be chassis mounted and should be hidden from view.

So, yes you can build a rig without panels but you better be really good at hiding electronics and other things!
Old 01-10-2015, 08:44 AM   #614
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
I'm leaning towards not giving points for a body like that. It's definitely interesting, and completely legal to build but understand that you won't be rewarded extra points for it. It's so difficult to define "hardbody" without writing a novel. I mean where do we draw the line between like Sam said.....a piece of foil wrapped over a chassis? Is it defined by weight? Easier to just say no points....but it is pretty cool.
And therein lies the problem....

When I built this, I built it for me. To shake things up a bit and do something different, artistic and unique. In my mind, it was a custom hard body all day long. Until I spoke with my buddy Sloppy. He shares the same sentiments as you (Warpig) and Sam63. However, there are many others (locally and on RCC) who feel this is hard body.

From there, it got confusing and really made me think (with reference to Sam63), "How do I judge my Peers at the Tech Table w/o causing animosity?" Compounded by the fact that I am a competitor with these folks as well!

I love the criteria offered up by doublej....but in good conscience and following my gut, I think I will be scoring myself as -1...

At the end of the day, I understand Tech Guys are supposed to set and enforce the standard, not cause additional confusion by awarding / retracting points based on opinion.

I don't know if this issue can be clarified (easily) in the forthcoming (assumed) 2015 SORRCA Rules? But until then, its "Lead By Example"... i'm scoring myself as (-1). Others will be tech'd according to Facts Available at current time of Comp.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:37 PM   #615
Quarry Creeper

What about mine? Hardbody or panels?

And this is what is underneath.

Those panels are never going to look like an exact copy of a 1:1 truck. I ain't that good. But they aren't attached to tubework. They are going to be removable just like a 1:1. Going to make some rear quarter panels and possibly doors. A bonnet/hood and the panel in front of the windshield (what ever it's called).
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:30 PM   #616
Rock Crawler

Scrap, I have to admit...In your case, If it came across my tech table, I'd be more inclined to award hardbody. Its got frame rails, firewall, core support, etc.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:56 PM   #617

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
From the SORRCA rules.

• All vehicles should have the motor, transmission, and electronics covered and hidden when viewed from the top and sides. Batteries must be chassis mounted and should be hidden from view.

So, yes you can build a rig without panels but you better be really good at hiding electronics and other things!
keyword "SHOULD", not "MUST" like the battery having to be mounted to the chassis. Should means it's suggestive and not mandatory, which is where my question ensues. So my question still stands since it isn't mandatory. Anybody else?
Old 01-10-2015, 08:58 PM   #618
I wanna be Dave

Your right electronics SHOULD be cover but the rules say only the steering servo can be axles mounted - no should to that part.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:22 PM   #619
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
keyword "SHOULD", not "MUST" like the battery having to be mounted to the chassis. Should means it's suggestive and not mandatory, which is where my question ensues. So my question still stands since it isn't mandatory. Anybody else?
"Should" means hide your shit....in a nice way.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:23 PM   #620

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
Your right electronics SHOULD be cover but the rules say only the steering servo can be axles mounted - no should to that part.
my question isn't pertaining to the steering servo, which is axle mounted. all other electronics are chassis mounted. So the should is just suggestive like saying "Bill should quit smoking". But he doesn't HAVE to. Am I correct on this matter or am I reading the rules wrong?

2014 scale rules discussion or question thead - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2013 scale rules discussion or question thead War Pig Scale Comp Rules 808 08-15-2014 09:29 PM
2014 Crawling GTG's and (NON-2014 MIRCA) Event Discussion 95geo Michigan 5 02-23-2014 05:06 PM
2014 SORRCA Scale rules doublej Scale Comp Rules 3 01-03-2014 01:09 PM