Notices

Thread: 2014 scale rules discussion or question thead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2015, 09:45 PM   #621
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 2014 scale rules discussion or question thead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
my question isn't pertaining to the steering servo, which is axle mounted. all other electronics are chassis mounted. So the should is just suggestive like saying "Bill should quit smoking". But he doesn't HAVE to. Am I correct on this matter or am I reading the rules wrong?
You are correct, you don't HAVE to hide everything, BUT there is a certain look that scale rigs should have. Understand that at large events people will be taking pictures that could be in national magazines and scale rigs with wads of wires hanging out all over just don't look real, hence the "electronics should be hidden from view". Take that as you wish, but I hope you take it as us recommending that you hide them.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2015, 09:51 PM   #622

Totally understand. Just didn't want to get a tech DQ for not running panels if I run a local comp. Since this thing doesn't look like a scale chassis I've ever seen before and the design, it's pretty hard to make a body for, and the panels I've already put on it make it look like total crap lol.
Ripped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:20 PM   #623
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
my question isn't pertaining to the steering servo, which is axle mounted. all other electronics are chassis mounted. So the should is just suggestive like saying "Bill should quit smoking". But he doesn't HAVE to. Am I correct on this matter or am I reading the rules wrong?
Maybe at a local level you mite and I say mite be okay with some of the electronics showing, if you show up to a national event and haven't made an attempt to hide and coverup your stuff and i was at the tech table you would be watching not driving. Like War Pig says (should) is a polite way of saying cover your stuff. But hey it's up to you there's alot of difference in what you see in a 1:1 buggy and wha you see on a RC buggy.
boob dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:25 PM   #624
I wanna be Dave

Here's Trenton's (MG200) "Showtime" southern buggy. One of the best I've seen and amazing job hiding the electronics.....it can be done.

Last edited by War Pig; 01-10-2015 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:29 PM   #625
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by boob dude View Post
Maybe at a local level you mite and I say mite be okay with some of the electronics showing, if you show up to a national event and haven't made an attempt to hide and coverup your stuff and i was at the tech table you would be watching not driving. Like War Pig says (should) is a polite way of saying cover your stuff. But hey it's up to you there's alot of difference in what you see in a 1:1 buggy and wha you see on a RC buggy.
Then the rules need to be changed or the guys at the tech table need to state they aren't running SORRCA rules prior to the event.
SHOULD, means just that. It's not a polite way to say anything other than the user has the right to not cover Anything.
If a brand new guy comes up without ever knowing to ask and simply reads the rules - you've just punked him out of his chance to have a giggle driving toy trucks over some electronics and your opinion of the rules.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:14 PM   #626
Rock Crawler

I understand that should doesn't mean you have to, but on the other hand this is scale, when was the last time you saw a 3 foot long electric motor and a 4 foot battery in a real truck. We are just trying to make everything look as real as possible. Also that's why I made two different comments about local events, and national events. Your not going to get a new guy that doesn't know to try to cover his electronics at nationals, but on a local level I could see it, and that's fine. In the end it's up to the guys putting on the comp and no one else to make the final say at the tech table. And as a tech guy I would have two separate opinions, at a local UTRCRC comp I would let him run and basically talk him into running more coverage for the next comp, now at nationals I would say shame on you for not bringing it up before the comp In a question thread and sorry start trying to cover it up or enjoy watching the show. But I think that this is something that needs to be talked about in the SORCCA forum and changed in the future.

Last edited by boob dude; 01-10-2015 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:57 PM   #627
I wanna be Dave

And there is the problem.... the rules have NO place for your opinion, only what is there to keep an even playing field on course.

So shame on me for reading the English word "should" correctly and not thinking I need to ask.

No Sir - Shame on you for turning someone away from a comp over something so petty.
I think people forget that nationals and this hobby are not for elite builders with fully pointed trucks - It's for everyone.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:40 AM   #628
I wanna be Dave

Jerry, while I value your "opinion" it is just that, an opinion.

Should was intentionally used and some of us fought hard for that terminology. We are playing with toy trucks and having fun.

Double J expressed and explained it spot on

So unless the wording is changed your info/opinion isnt helping answer the OP question and may be confusing others.

Time for you to take that opinion and discuss it in committee.

ps: dont sock me in the nose when we see each other at Nationals

hugs and kisses, D
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:00 AM   #629
Rock Stacker

Hate to add my two cents but should and must are two totally different words. As well as rules and opinions. But that's just my way of thinking
xXxCheeziexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:11 AM   #630
RCC Addict

"Should "gives an option. As it should. In real 1:1 you don't have cheesy panels covering everythimg. And in my own 1:1 jeep the electronics are exposed. Makes me question whether some on here have ever ran real trail trucks before?
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:38 AM   #631
Scale Detail Engineering

It's my opinion that no one should ever be turned away from a scale comp, local or national level.
Just assign positive penalty points for things like electronic's showing, narrow bumpers, cut lugs, etc.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:54 AM   #632
Rock Stacker

That opinion should be hobbywide. In my opinion
xXxCheeziexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:06 PM   #633
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
It's my opinion that no one should ever be turned away from a scale comp, local or national level.
Just assign positive penalty points for things like electronic's showing, narrow bumpers, cut lugs, etc.
That's fine and dandy, but why have rules?

As far as assigning penalty points for being illegal, how many is fair? I mean seriously....we put ALOT of time and effort into these scale competition rules and it's really easy to build to class spec. Some people don't really care about going to comps and do trail runs with their friends, which is great.....competition isn't for everyone. For those of us that like to get together and comp against other like vehicles (in performance and appearance) there are rules that we need to follow. I hope people understand that we aren't trying to be hard asses or elitists, but there have to be rules that people follow in order for this to work.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:47 PM   #634

i get the spirit of a scale build. most of us here do. some people dont. the people who dont but want to learn and appreciate it i have all the time in the world for. but the people who weld a skidplate to a dishwasher rack and want to waste time bitching about rules, meh.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:54 PM   #635
I wanna be Dave

So it's ok to tell someone the rules mean what they don't but everyone needs to follow the rules....

And who care what someone wants to build? You don't like their dishwasher rack so they don't matter...

I'm lost for words, esp from who some of these comments are coming from.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:04 PM   #636

my rig isn't a dishwasher rack. I have a lot of time and thought in the work it took to make it. it's just not the same square style design you see everybody else building.
Ripped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:33 PM   #637
Scale Detail Engineering

Assign a lot of penalty points, +10, +20 or more per offense... make newbs look at their driving score after the event and think "Damn, if my rig was legal i would've placed x.".

EDIT:For even more penalty points.

Last edited by johnnyh66; 01-11-2015 at 07:01 PM.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:49 AM   #638
Quarry Creeper

We have pointed out what is wrong with their rig but let them run the courses and give them scores just like everybody else. Just exlcude them from the official standings. Or if we think they don't get an unfair advantage they stay in the standings. If they have a totally outrageous vehicle they get to run each course last so others aren't affected even if the vehicle changes the course.

That way the competition stays fair. The new comers, or sometimes old timers, can see how their rig and driving compares to the others and everybody has a good time.

We have to do it this way because there are so few active scalers in Finland that we can't afford to turn anyone away.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:18 AM   #639
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

We are talking about scale right? Last I checked this was the SCALE rules thread and not to be an elitist, there needs to be some attempt made to make rigs look the part. I do and will give credit to looking outside the box with design and intent, and at a local level I would never turn a newbe away ever, but national level events are generally designed to find out who is the best of the best in ability in all facets. By that statement I am not saying a newb can not attend such an event, but they also need be prepared to compete at the level said event brings.

The intent of SORRCA is to set the guide lines used for a fair and balanced events whether it be at the local level or national level and to help promote scale crawling in a positive manner.

Should, must, need, will do, are all subjective to intent, but rules are to be followed. As well as spirit of scale.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:43 PM   #640
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2j View Post
We are talking about scale right? Last I checked this was the SCALE rules thread and not to be an elitist, there needs to be some attempt made to make rigs look the part. I do and will give credit to looking outside the box with design and intent, and at a local level I would never turn a newbe away ever, but national level events are generally designed to find out who is the best of the best in ability in all facets. By that statement I am not saying a newb can not attend such an event, but they also need be prepared to compete at the level said event brings.

The intent of SORRCA is to set the guide lines used for a fair and balanced events whether it be at the local level or national level and to help promote scale crawling in a positive manner.

Should, must, need, will do, are all subjective to intent, but rules are to be followed. As well as spirit of scale.

AMEN That's what I was trying to say but you said it better thanks

2014 scale rules discussion or question thead - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2013 scale rules discussion or question thead War Pig Scale Comp Rules 808 08-15-2014 09:29 PM
2014 Crawling GTG's and (NON-2014 MIRCA) Event Discussion 95geo Michigan 5 02-23-2014 05:06 PM
2014 SORRCA Scale rules doublej Scale Comp Rules 3 01-03-2014 01:09 PM