Notices

Thread: AnimalHippie's Trx-4 Adventure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2018, 09:49 AM   #221
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: AnimalHippie's Trx-4 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
With my stock 11t pinion I had to run the motor between the C & D holes for it to be correct. It might just be the wobbly spur gear making all the noise. I think I'm gonna go after a aluminum motor plate. I seen a couple guys get the GRC aluminum set up that gets rid of all the plastic, but haven't heard much about them. Also don't have the $ to run out and grab one either. Think it's around $50. I'll try the cheaper options for now.
The one piece aluminum motor mount is $23 without the GRC branding, a lot better than $40-50 for the same mount.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motor-Mount....c100005.m1851

My truck had issues with overly tight mesh using the recommended holes on the stock motor mount so I'm using the B holes with a 9T pinion. Other projects have been occupying my RC time so my mount hasn't been installed yet but I'm curious if this mount has better gear mesh settings.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2018, 02:19 PM   #222

Quote:
I installed the new spur gear and motor plate. Still getting allot of noise from my pinion/spur mesh. Have tried A & B holes on the new motor plate with the 9T pinion. Still pretty loud. Going to try the C hole next time I get some time to tinker. Also now that I have 2 spur covers I'm going to cut a mesh view hole in one to see if I can figure out what's going on. Getting this thing right is driving me nuts. I did run it for a few mins with the 9T pinion. Definitely can notice a big difference in torque. Also it doesn't like to blow donuts anymore. Kinda disappointed about that but not really worried about it. It is a crawler.
As you know, I have the same pinion. I can't remember what holes I'm using on the motor mount. I'll take a look tonight and see. I don't have any noise out of mine.
MADPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:06 PM   #223

Looks like I'm on A. Good mesh, no binding from what I can hear or feel. Ran fine since being in.

Odd that there would be such a difference between trucks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
MADPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:44 AM   #224
RCC Addict

Talking Re: AnimalHippie's Trx-4 Adventure

Thanks for looking into that for me Marco!

Thank you everyone that has lent a helping hand in trying to figure out my issue!

Last night I got a few mins to mess around in the garage. FINALLY got my pinion/spur mesh correct. I originally had the electrical tape mod done on my spur gear cover to keep the motor nice and tight. I removed that tape. Put my motor screws in the A slots. Mesh was too tight but was lined up perfectly. So I took a little sliver of gorilla tape and put it on the bottom tabs of the motor mount plate. It was still a little too tight. I added one more little piece of tape to each tab. Now the motor is tight and the mesh is perfect. The mesh is now just as quite as the first time I drove my Trx-4. I am so super stoked! Can't wait to take it out on the course this evening and see how it crawls. Will post some pics of the updated backyard course this evening.
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:46 AM   #225
RCC Addict

Great time last night! Girls were in bed, Wife was out with a couple friends and I was home with 2 fully charged batteries and 2 awesome crawlers. Put the shop light up and it was time for some fun! The 9t pinion really makes a difference. Allot more throttle control and torque Fo sho! I like it. So I spent a few hours on the backyard course

Climbed up the new 4ft tall 60° incline with very little issues Can't believe this guy followed the Trx-4 up this climb

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Last edited by AnimalHippie; 10-06-2018 at 05:55 AM.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:45 AM   #226
RCC Addict

Here's a pic of my trail canyons with the small lugs cut out. Second pic is something I've been thinking about doing to my set of trail canyons. This tire got ripped while I was removing it from the stock wheel so it's been my demo for cutting the rest of them. The white areas have been removed. Just put the white in there for contrast. What you think? should I cut my whole set? The little lugs in the middle are already gone on all 4 tires.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:07 AM   #227
I wanna be Dave

Cutting tires is a gamble the first time, unless you know what it will do. More siping and edges allow better grab on rocks, really depends on your needs

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:40 AM   #228
RCC Addict

I think I'm going to go ahead and cut the whole set and put them on the dingo. The wife doesn't like the look of the small 4.43" TSLs that are on it now. I like the smaller tires only cause they tuck up into the fenders with no rubbing or issues. Happy wife happy life!
Old 10-07-2018, 12:56 PM   #229

The cut up new orange body looks awesome!!
vipers28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:34 PM   #230
RCC Addict

Here's the finished product my cut canyon trails

Old 10-07-2018, 06:54 PM   #231
RCC Addict

Mud pie pit crew helped remove the cuts. They like working on stuff with me. I totally dig it!

Old 10-07-2018, 07:16 PM   #232
RCC Addict

Good parents have children that want to be involved. Raising kids done right.

Like the tire mod... I'd think they should do better than stock tread pattern. Oh and for some reason I imagine the crew having an idea of what they want to do with the scraps lol... dunno why.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:24 PM   #233
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Good parents have children that want to be involved. Raising kids done right.

Like the tire mod... I'd think they should do better than stock tread pattern. Oh and for some reason I imagine the crew having an idea of what they want to do with the scraps lol... dunno why.
Thank you brotha and agreed! Love that they wanna get into what I'm doing just as much as wanting me into what they're doing.

They did great with just the small lugs cut so we'll see!

Yes they were calling them gummies and wanted to use them in a recipe in mud pie kitchen. They understood why they couldn't have them. So it worked out ok.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:11 PM   #234
RCC Addict

Today I was talking to the boss and seen a broken flashlight in the bed of his truck. It looked brand new. So asked what happened to his flashlight. He bought it yesterday and he ran it over with the boat trailer last night while working on it. He was gonna throw it away. The Fred Sanford in me couldn't let that happen. I'm going to try to make a light bar with the COB LED that came out of it. Connected the batteries to the positive and negative and the light came on. So now to hook 6v from my receiver to see if it's gonna handle the power. If everything works out I'll do a DIY light bar thread here on the forum. Wish me& luck! If anyone has messed with anything like this please don't hesitate to chime in. As for I have no experience with lighting stuff. Here's a few pics

Old 10-11-2018, 06:20 PM   #235
RCC Addict

It works! I think it's the prefect amount of light and the prefect size for where I want to mount it. Now time to go get some aluminum c channel and make the housing.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:35 PM   #236
Quarry Creeper

nice scavenge man
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:41 PM   #237
RCC Addict

That's pretty cool! looking forward to see how your housing turns out.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:44 PM   #238
I wanna be Dave

You could also cut the yellow plastic flashlight body down to make a toolbox for a crawler -use some black paint to make the CAT logo "pop"!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:51 PM   #239

Quote:
Here's the finished product my cut canyon trails

So did you cut the tires so they would have more grip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mebeknob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:34 AM   #240
RCC Addict

Got a few mins last night to play on the backyard course and try the new cut on the tires. The tires did extremely good. If I had another set of them I'd cut those too.

After taking the dingo through a 10 gate course. I went and grabbed the Trx-4. Got through 4 gates before stripping a gear inside the power hd steering servo. I took everything inside, but couldn't let the night end like that. I don't like knowing that my rig is sitting broke on the bench. So I opened up the servo to find that the gear that stripped is one that barely moves and I was able to turn it 180° to a nice new set of teeth. Added a bit of grease and put everything back together. All is good again. The power hd 20k has been a great servo with this being the first issue it's had after 100+ packs through the rig. I'd say it's worth the $20.

AnimalHippie's Trx-4 Adventure - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX-4 Defender Adventure (and some mudding) Mountainsofbeer Scale Videos! 0 10-10-2017 07:30 PM
My 2.2 TRX-4 Kawirocket674 Traxxas TRX-4 9 07-23-2017 06:19 PM
Montana Scale Adventure Club Adventure Series montana.matt Montana 9 03-17-2010 09:22 AM