Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Szczerba's FF-SZ 2.2s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 08:57 PM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
What an amazingly clean workbench. I'm jealous.
I use a big tri-fold piece of cardboard to clear all the mess out of the way of the picture. It doubles as a back drop too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_tough View Post
Nice work on the build Shane. I may have missed it but what shafts are you using in the rear axle, XR10?
Thanks. I might finish it one day. Not in a big rush. New front shocks are on order and waiting on the 1.5mm carbon fiber to show up to redo the chassis.

These shafts HPI Wheely King Straight Axle with the longer beef tube setup. I couldn't hunt down the STRC axle shafts, most places out of stock.

Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #62
I wanna be Dave

I spy a ton of room underneath that servo plate for some shtuff.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:00 AM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by helhedded View Post
I spy a ton of room underneath that servo plate for some shtuff.
Nah, I am going to extend the servo/link mount plate back about 1.5" and mount them to the underside of that. I'll just have a BR-XL and BEC and they'll be riding above the driveshaft. Servo/link plate will get trimmed, I was just messing around with the 3mm Carbon Fiber scraps that I had left over. It's thick enough to counter sink the holes and still be strong.

I am going to mount the battery opposite the motor on the side of the chassis like an MRC setup. Might help balance out the chassis too?

1.5mm CF is on the UPS truck!

Last edited by Szczerba; 11-28-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:05 AM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Nah, I am going to extend the servo/link mount plate back about 1.5" and mount them to the underside of that. I'll just have a BR-XL and BEC. Servo/link plate will get trimmed, I was just messing around with the 3mm Carbon Fiber scraps that I had left over. It's thick enough to counter sink the holes and still be strong.

I am going to mount the battery opposite the motor on the side of the chassis like an MRC setup. Might help balance out the chassis too?
I don't think that those teeny weeenie wittle lipos will offset much unless you are trying to run a big pack.
Why not put everything on the axles and leave as much as you can out of the chassis?
Old 11-28-2011, 08:07 AM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsohigh View Post
Wow Shane, I know I saw this in person at the Turkey crawl and was very impressed BUT after reading this build thread I just have to say WOW, You have definitely put in some impressive work and I can’t wait for more

IM starting a sporty build very soon but it wont be near the rig your is
Thanks. Right now, minus a battery, BR-XL, BEC and body it weighs about 4.3lbs. Should lose some weight switching over to the 1.5mm Carbon. The longer beef tubes really get that weight down low so I'll just have to test and tune to figure out if any more weight will need to be added in addition to the knuckle weights.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:10 AM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I don't think that those teeny weeenie wittle lipos will offset much unless you are trying to run a big pack.
Why not put everything on the axles and leave as much as you can out of the chassis?
Even a small 450mah lipo pack will not fit low and out of the way on the front axle. Gets into my steering, so I'll sacrifice the battery on the side of the chassis to get all my steering.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #67
RCC Addict

Dang it. I'm gonna have to work on my shafty again.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:56 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
Dang it. I'm gonna have to work on my shafty again.
What is there to change? You drive the wheels off of that rig. All progress, no penalties.

Cut a 1/16" Carbon Fiber chassis and front link/servo mount. I had to add to extra cross supports to the chassis. One by the front upper link mount and one by the rear upper link mount. This 1/16" CF is thin! We'll see how long it holds up.

BR-XL and BEC will be held to mount with battery shirk wrap.

I still have to adjust the front driveshaft male length. It bottoms just barely and jacks with the suspension cycle a touch.

Attached Images

Last edited by Szczerba; 11-29-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:01 PM   #69
Suck it up!

Getting worse by the minute. It'll never work.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:12 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Getting worse by the minute. It'll never work.
Probably not. That 1/16th Carbon Fiber will probably snap before the first gate. I am ready to drive this rig. Just need to dismantle, superglue CF edges, reassemble and wire it up.
Couple odds, ends parts will be here Thursday. Mainly some new big bore (TRA2662) 4.25" shocks for the front. Those plastic ones cycle like, well, like plastic big bores.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #71
I wanna be Dave

It's looking great man! Did you shorten the three towers like we talked about?
Old 11-29-2011, 09:27 PM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
It's looking great man! Did you shorten the three towers like we talked about?
Your referring to the countersinking issue. And cutting the axle mount posts.
If you look at the 6th to last picture, I just raised up the servo with some small spacers. Works for now. Didn't trim the axle posts.

I did have to put spacers on the underside of the link plate for the upper front links. The revo rod ends were getting into the plate just a bit.
Every thing clears right now. Just have to see if the spacers will work for the servo mount. The servo is raised up about 2mm off the plate right now.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:19 PM   #73
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Your referring to the countersinking issue. And cutting the axle mount posts.
If you look at the 6th to last picture, I just raised up the servo with some small spacers. Works for now. Didn't trim the axle posts.

I did have to put spacers on the underside of the link plate for the upper front links. The revo rod ends were getting into the plate just a bit.
Every thing clears right now. Just have to see if the spacers will work for the servo mount. The servo is raised up about 2mm off the plate right now.
My servo does a mean ass wiggle woggle from being mounted just like that. It's my guess that having the servo pressing into the plate as it tries to flop around take a lot of stress off of those 2 screws. Although it is quite entertaining. I should just glue a spacer on the underside of the heatsink.
opek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:44 AM   #74
I wanna be Dave

That CF chassis and bits looks great Shane, have you installed the exrta wide beef tubes?
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:21 AM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by opek View Post
My servo does a mean ass wiggle woggle from being mounted just like that. It's my guess that having the servo pressing into the plate as it tries to flop around take a lot of stress off of those 2 screws. Although it is quite entertaining. I should just glue a spacer on the underside of the heatsink.
Yea, ill just attach a small piece carbon fiber on the servo mount to fill the gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
That CF chassis and bits looks great Shane, have you installed the exrta wide beef tubes?
Thanks, should be driving it before too long.
Longer beef tube install starts on post 50. With 225 hubs out back its 10.5" and 450 hubs its just under 11". IIRC

Truck is about 4.5lbs without body, battery, esc and BEC.

Last edited by Szczerba; 11-30-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #76
no talent hack

Where are you getting your cf from? My source is all dried up
Nabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabil View Post
Where are you getting your cf from? My source is all dried up
Good Ol' McMaster-Carr. The 1/16" stuff is part number 8194K94 , 3"x24" sheets for $28. Sacco turned me onto that part #.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

More progess. 5lb 2oz RTR minus a body (PIG!), which is about 2oz. My comp berg is 5.6lb...I think the extra weight is from the 4 beef tubes.
Made some add on weights from less than a dollar each washers. two pieces (one side) are a little under an ounce.

WattAge 27t motor. Plenty o' wheel speed, just have to see how it holds up to 3s. I got it in a trade and it looked used so we'll see how long it lasts.

Not the ideal spot to locate a battery but I am ready to be done with this truck and just drive it. The notch on the front of the plate was to clear the rod end on the suspension link but I ended up moving the battery mount and didn't want to build another one.
It's been raining for the last 48 hours so I'll have to wait to drive it..

Attached Images

Last edited by Szczerba; 12-05-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #79
RCC Addict

Default Dang it Shane!

You already school me in 2.2 pro, now my losi is in trouble! Stay away from the mini class so I have a chance in something! JK
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:59 PM   #80
Suck it up!

Wowzers. You sure that little battery will have enough juice for that motor?
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote

Szczerba's FF-SZ 2.2s - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Szczerba's F-Toy #744 Szczerba 1.9 Scale Rigs 240 02-17-2022 08:32 PM
Szczerba's JK (Minus some doors) Szczerba G-Made Crawlers 193 11-06-2012 07:26 AM
Szczerba's Trophy Truck Build.. With Videos Szczerba Non Crawler RC's 110 07-18-2012 09:34 PM
Was Szczerba's Defender 90 Build. On to the Next. Szczerba 1.9 Scale Rigs 22 07-07-2012 05:18 PM
Szczerba's Cherokee (Minus some doors) Szczerba Axial SCX-10 166 03-25-2012 07:45 PM