Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Szczerba's FF-SZ 2.2s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 09:15 PM   #121
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Szczerba's FF-SZ built

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
You know, I always liked the Cougar sidewalls. Never seemed to lack sticktion even though they were smooth.

I imagine it'd be best to have some of those super stiff inners with clapped Rovers...
Cougars . I told Helhedded I saw'd off the rover sidelugs and he was like "I bet they feel like Cougar's now"

Not sure on the foam setup. Like I said, it's been done before, not sure what foams other guys are using. Going to test em out tomorrow on my rock pile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLANDROCKSHOP View Post
did i miss something..."clapped" ??
See explanation above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco View Post
You have family in susanville? I live about an hr away, sick looking rig man I love the sporties
Yep, my wife was born and raised there. I worked in Chico, CA back in the summer of 2004 for Sierra Pacific Industries, cruising timber. Before I knew my wife. I really like Northern Cali
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2011, 02:07 AM   #122
no talent hack

4.5 inch angle grinder + 80 grit flapper wheel makes quick work of sidewall lugs. I can get 4 tires done in under 15 minutes
Nabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:12 AM   #123
I wanna be Dave

I have a set of Cougars I'm going to use the side walls and try another version of your Hater Aid tire, these closed foam inners should be about perfect.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #124
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabil View Post
4.5 inch angle grinder + 80 grit flapper wheel makes quick work of sidewall lugs. I can get 4 tires done in under 15 minutes
I started off chucking my wheel/tire to my drill press with an old axial stub shaft and hex but the tire whoops around too much and causes thin spots. I just hold a hand sander with 80 grit to the tires.
So I just busted out the dremel. I'll have to try the angle grinder method next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
I have a set of Cougars I'm going to use the side walls and try another version of your Hater Aid tire, these closed foam inners should be about perfect.
Still sippin' that Haterade . Sanded rover sidewalls could work too but I think the cougar side walls will get you the extra height. I have some 6" tall cougars I made a while back just sitting on the shelf.

Packed up with the Berg ready for some Nor-Cal testing.

Long story short, The ultra short front driveshaft was binding, causing the motor to move on the mount and hince stripping my pretty 90t spur.
10t "long" pinion will not fit with a 540 motor setup. So I am back with a TorqueMaster Pro Handwound 540 Brushed motor with 12t pinion and 87 spur gear.
Attached Images

Last edited by Szczerba; 12-20-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:36 AM   #125
Quarry Creeper

A belt sander works well too. It was easier to control than using a dremel.
durrty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #126
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrty View Post
A belt sander works well too. It was easier to control than using a dremel.
Don't have a belt sander.
I use a dremel and can do one rover in about 10 minutes.

I was having front driveshaft issues with the shortened Junfac and switched to a metal yoke-d axial one just before I left town. I should have brought the Junfac with me. Only got a little crawling in before one of the ears split. I had a retainer ring on it too. I took a soldering iron and melted it back but it only lasts a few minutes.

I did get a little bit of video before it broke for good.
Wife is using the Go Pro Hero 2 in 720p wide angle. Looks like the upload to Vimeo really lowered the quality.
The first crawl was sick. Took me a couple 5-10 tries before I made it.

Dang video won't embed either...

VV Short VIDEO VV

Last edited by Szczerba; 12-23-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #127
Suck it up!

Default Re: Szczerba's FF-SZ

OD/UD is a wonderful thing, is it not? The rig is looking good.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #128
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
OD/UD is a wonderful thing, is it not? The rig is looking good.
Yes it is. Couple chops of the 4pks and it's turnin' tight.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:22 PM   #129
I wanna be Dave

very nice!
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:30 PM   #130
Suck it up!

How were the clapped Rovers?
Old 12-23-2011, 09:45 PM   #131
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
How were the clapped Rovers?
Grab like a rock lobster. Sidewall's flex great but the CrawlerInnvation's closed cell inner foam give them the support. And the sidelug's are out of the way, since they are not there.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:57 PM   #132
Suck it up!

Good to hear all that shaving was not just an exercise in effort.

I think I found some foam to mess with until CI comes out with the official version.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:58 PM   #133
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Good to hear all that shaving was not just an exercise in effort.

I think I found some foam to mess with until CI comes out with the official version.
Yep, Should be sometime shortly after the new year for the new closed cell inners.

Bought some 2.2 Two Face's for the Szczerba's JK (Minus some doors) rig and since the FF-SZ is down with a broken front driveshaft, I dismounted the rovers and mounted the two-faces.
I'll run them on the berg comp rig tomorrow and see how they do on the Nor-Cal granite. Didn't pack the JK on this trip.

Attached Images

Last edited by Szczerba; 12-23-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:00 PM   #134
Rock Crawler

So I just read your build from start to present. I am curious of one thing. You mention that the junfac shaft you cut down was binding so you took it out. My question is why did you drill out the axle side to 6mm and keep the CI adapter on there. Why wouldn't you just leave the axle side of the shaft 5mm and then gain the extra length taken up by the adapter. Might not bind then. Either that or I'm missing something and was seeing your pics wrong. Rig looks good tho. I really like the carbon chassis side plates.

Last edited by irok22s; 12-23-2011 at 11:03 PM.
irok22s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:12 PM   #135
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by irok22s View Post
So I just read your build from start to present. I am curious of one thing. You mention that the junfac shaft you cut down was binding so you took it out. My question is why did you drill out the axle side to 6mm and keep the CI adapter on there. Why wouldn't you just leave the axle side of the shaft 5mm and then gain the extra length taken up by the adapter. Might not bind then. Either that or I'm missing something and was seeing your pics wrong. Rig looks good tho. I really like the carbon chassis side plates.
Yep, someone mentioned that to me personally. Good catch.
At the time, I had already drilled the junfac out to accept the CI longer AX-10 trans output, so I just drilled out the axle side too, not really thinking about pulling the 5mm adapter off the axle side.
I was trying to get the maxx shafts to work but they wouldn't since the yokes are huge. I couldn't get the maxx shafts short enough due to yoke length. Then I started messing with the Junfac shaft.
It was really just a brain lapse on my part. I had planned on using the maxx setup.

The only reason the junfac was binding, I think, is that I didn't have any grease in the slide (male/female joint). I greased it up before I left town but didn't bring it along, again, another brain slip on my part.

Last edited by Szczerba; 12-23-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:43 PM   #136
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Yep, someone mentioned that to me personally. Good catch.
At the time, I had already drilled the junfac out to accept the CI longer AX-10 trans output, so I just drilled out the axle side too, not really thinking about pulling the 5mm adapter off the axle side.
I was trying to get the maxx shafts to work but they wouldn't since the yokes are huge. I couldn't get the maxx shafts short enough due to yoke length. Then I started messing with the Junfac shaft.
It was really just a brain lapse on my part. I had planned on using the maxx setup.

The only reason the junfac was binding, I think, is that I didn't have any grease in the slide (male/female joint). I greased it up before I left town but didn't bring it along, again, another brain slip on my part.

I'd replace the axle side with another stock junfac shaft and grease it up and call it good. Plus side would be a little more drive shaft length and you could get rid of that huge adapter.

as for the max shaft thing. IIRC someone already mentioned it, but the older tmaxx 2.5 tranny outputs were 5mm. If you drill out the flat spots inside they would fit right on the axial 5mm pinion shaft. Down side is drilling a hole for the pass through pin. I have yet to drill one perfectly centered. I stoped using max shafts and just use junfac now, and going to 32p gears gets rid of the need for the longer front output.

my .02
Old 12-24-2011, 12:10 AM   #137
Suck it up!

I've had really good luck with the Pede shafts/Axial rings on my scalers. I've beat the ever lovin' snot out of them and while they show a little twist, they've held perfectly. Might be a cheap and easy alternative...
Old 12-24-2011, 12:19 AM   #138
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I've had really good luck with the Pede shafts/Axial rings on my scalers. I've beat the ever lovin' snot out of them and while they show a little twist, they've held perfectly. Might be a cheap and easy alternative...
Ya thats a good option too. I have this same setup on my honcho. A little twist after awhile but they held strong for a year. Then I put a mamba monster and a 2650 motor in it on 4s just for fun. Pede shafts lasted for about 3 min Mip's were used for the rest of that adventure. It does have pede shafts and the collars currently tho.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #139
RCC Addict

Quote:
'

Yep. I run the pede shafts to be the fuse in the drivetrain. Cheap and easy to replace. I do replace the front one when it shows signs of significant twist.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #140
I wanna be Dave

I have grown to hate the pede shafts. They twist too much and pop like popcorn with me behind the wheel.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote

Szczerba's FF-SZ 2.2s - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Szczerba's F-Toy #744 Szczerba 1.9 Scale Rigs 240 02-17-2022 08:32 PM
Szczerba's JK (Minus some doors) Szczerba G-Made Crawlers 193 11-06-2012 07:26 AM
Szczerba's Trophy Truck Build.. With Videos Szczerba Non Crawler RC's 110 07-18-2012 09:34 PM
Was Szczerba's Defender 90 Build. On to the Next. Szczerba 1.9 Scale Rigs 22 07-07-2012 05:18 PM
Szczerba's Cherokee (Minus some doors) Szczerba Axial SCX-10 166 03-25-2012 07:45 PM