Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: Maslin's Bomber Not-Ready-To-Run Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2016, 03:02 PM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Maslin's Bomber Not-Ready-To-Run Build

Very nice! Interested to see how it holds up to your driving style.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2016, 07:18 AM   #62
Wanna get? Gotta want.

The scale knuckles put the rod ends right in the wrong place.

Two easy solutions:
Put the tie rod and drag link on top of the knuckles, I would not personally do this.

You can countersink the button head screw hole that is hitting the rod end. This is fast, easy and gets the job done.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:30 AM   #63
RCC Addict

Tie rod on top definitely won't work, I've put the screw head through a Pitbull sidewall as it is now Counter sinking the end screws with some flush allens sounds perfect. Thanks for getting that spacer out so quick, awesome service.

Didn't make it to the track yesterday, apparently my wife's capstone accounting classes are 7 days a week
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:39 PM   #64
RCC Addict

Looking at the pictures from Dlux a little more, my links are in the right spot. The second hex spacer is a support off the left side. I will install the spacer when it arrives, in the mean time, it's time to make some links!

5/32" Music wire. This stuff is marked 3.97mm, 4mm threads work just fine. Only one problem... you can't bend it or thread it

Measure between the rod ends, 105mm. Add 10mm per rod end, cut links.

Added 2mm on the right to accommodate the bend to clear the servo. I grind a slight taper at the ends to help start the die.

Add heat, until the color turns.

Hope this doesn't happen... SnapOn guy comes today, I'll trade them out and continue threading later

This stuff is miserable to work with, but nearly indestructible links are worth it. One down, two to go.

Last edited by maslin; 02-09-2016 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:10 AM   #65
RCC Addict

Success. $3 for 3' of rod and 6 revo ends... Under 10 dollars and an hour of frustration

Old 02-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Those look great. I really like the bluing they got from heat treating. Make me a set?
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:13 AM   #67
RCC Addict

For sure. Measure what you need eye to eye, I have these set for the Dlux u4 truss, steel Revo push rods with 2 Jato ends as bottom links, 90mm Slash front Powerstrokes. The front end is pushed out a bit from stock, much more comfortable for the MIP splines, pinion sits perfectly.

The steering link is pretty picky, considering how short it is. I have just enough throw in the servo to get full steering, turning right the link gets close to passing 180*, turning left the rod end just touches the servo body. A longer servo arm would definitely help, I still have an Axial arm with the "long" hole cut off.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:54 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
Threw an Axial sway bar on until Vanquish fires up the currie mill... fits well, seems pretty stiff for "soft"

Just tucks around the frame at full bump, doesn't hang up at all.

As it sits now. Excited to try out the sway bar, even if it's just in the shop. Montana winter sucks

Could you post a picture of what your Bomber looks like at full droop? I am interested in getting the slash front and rear power strokes like you did but am curious how much droop they have and if it's enough. Just a picture of you holding the Bomber by its roof so the suspension is fully extended would be awesome!
fleshgearf150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:01 AM   #69
RCC Addict

Droop

Bump

Ride height
Old 03-21-2016, 03:49 PM   #70
RCC Addict

Thanks, I'm really enjoying it.

The way that the Dlux truss and VP scale knuckles line up killed my steering angle. I'm living with it, it isn't a true crawler any way. Beat on it hard enough last weekend to bend both rear axles, the long side in the middle, the short side at the pin. Front end is all good

There's nothing I'm worried about when I take it out. Full throttle up a near vertical hill, barrel roll back down and keep going.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:22 PM   #71
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks, I'm really enjoying it.

There's nothing I'm worried about when I take it out. Full throttle up a near vertical hill, barrel roll back down and keep going.
That is exactly how i hope my build turns out. Give it full beans and watch for the flying smiles.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:18 AM   #72
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
The way that the Dlux truss and VP scale knuckles line up killed my steering angle.
What angle do you think youre getting?

You can also spend some time and taper the delrin block, shorten the hex braces and get close to full steering.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:54 AM   #73
RCC Addict

It's right at 37*. The end of the steering arm hits right at the end of the G10 and the last bolt. Countersinking flat screws helped a lot, but it still there.

It doesn't bother me, The throttle is much more fun to steer with

Last edited by maslin; 03-22-2016 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:36 PM   #74
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Couldn't help myself, the Bomber is what I've spent 2 years trying to create with my Wraith. Servo clearance is fixed. Rear uptravel is fixed. Electronic packaging is fixed. Very happy with the design on this one.

Out of the box, tore down to a bare skid and trans. Wife thinks I'm crazy

Proline Powerstrokes for Slash, front and rear, 100mm rear 90mm front.

Just to be sure...you're running the single long spring of the dual spring setup on those? Love the stance but was curious about the longer shock on rear. Is it drooped quite a bit to match the front height?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
DowntownScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:48 PM   #75
RCC Addict

I'm running the standard front and rear slash powerstrokes. They are only 10mm longer in the rear, the XTs are an inch longer.

I am using dual springs front and rear, a single longer spring will work, but I have had good luck with the dual springs.

It sits a little higher that that in the rear, about perfectly level. It works great for trail bashing and u4 style track running. It is too long and low to be a great crawler, brushless power and pit bulls help though.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:52 PM   #76
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I'm running the standard front and rear slash powerstrokes. They are only 10mm longer in the rear, the XTs are an inch longer.

I am using dual springs front and rear, a single longer spring will work, but I have had good luck with the dual springs.

It sits a little higher that that in the rear, about perfectly level. It works great for trail bashing and u4 style track running. It is too long and low to be a great crawler, brushless power and pit bulls help though.
I plan to run mine at the track. It flips a ton stock so I had been thinking about going to a shorter shock all the way around. Guess I was just surprised to see it sitting so level with the different sized shocks f/r when I thought it sat pretty level stock with the same size shock f/r. Looks mean. I like it!

Old 04-12-2016, 11:45 AM   #77
Rock Crawler

Tried 90mm shocks all the way around. Rear had about a 1/4" of travel and sat much lower than the front. Went to a 100mm in rear and got it about level now. Now I understand why it looks that way! What weight oil are you running? Figured I'd start with properly filled 30 wt since I had no clue what the stock shocks had in them or how much.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:04 PM   #78
RCC Addict

Definitely need a longer shock in the rear to sit level, I'm using the 90mm front, 100mm rears.

I put the shock info in your other thread, but I guess it belongs here too.

Slash Powerstrokes, fronts in the front, rears in the rear. Blue over Green springs front, Yellow over Green rear. 20wt front, 30wt rear.

Front shocks are in the front hole of the rear mount on top, outboarded on the link mounts on bottom.

Rear shocks in rear hole of front mount on top, middle hole on the VP trailing arm.

Just a little preload on the RR to help with torque twist, along with the Axial Bomber rear sway bar set.

Dlux servo mount in the front, all tabs/mounts/plastic cut away until both axles uptravel until the whole housing hits the chassis.

As said above, you need to maximize uptravel. Remove anything that touches, including the rear Wraith style sway bar mounts.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:07 PM   #79
Rock Crawler

I dremeled the servo mount tabs and the rear sway bar mount so that it would fully compress the 100mm shock in rear.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:24 PM   #80
RCC Addict

Got the VP motor mount today, looks very nice. One thing stands out though....

"Includes the following:

1pc Vanquish Yeti Motor Cam
2pcs M3x10 SHCS"

No screws in the bag. Like I've said before, I don't care for the stainless hardware they usually include, and would not have used it, but it should probably be included if it specifically says it is

Also says it MUST be used with the VP motor plate. It's a direct copy of the axial plate, fits on the Hot racing mount just fine.

Fit is perfect, as expected. Happy to get the plastic plate out of there.

Maslin's Bomber Not-Ready-To-Run Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bilinvic's RR10 Bomber Build bilinvic Axial RR10 Bomber 712 04-25-2020 08:09 AM
CFM drops a Bomb: Bomber Fab build and upgrades CarterFab Axial RR10 Bomber 132 01-24-2018 09:42 PM
KurseD build: the Brass Bomber Budget Bucket KurseD RC4WD Trail Finder 2 15 05-26-2016 04:40 AM
Stealth bomber the Class 3 build RockChuck 2.2 Scale Rigs 53 05-04-2015 07:15 PM
Ax-10 Ready to Run ?? SD333 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 6 12-13-2007 01:25 AM