Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: wanting a winner.. Xr-10 build thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #221
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: wanting a winner.. Xr-10 build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowride1 View Post
i was going to do that an just couldnt bring myself to cut up a 75 buck pait of nuck weights . i just sent 15 bucks an bought tommys weight holders an cut up rings that i had for the vp stuff . im down to 1.5 per side now
Sis! Not just one set... Two! Wth was I thinkin.. lol.. oh I wasn't.. haha

I believe the Dlux weight is only 1.5oz now.. it doesn't put the weight out wide but ill see what works.. I can always cut some cf weight holders, which I tried with mixed results already, an use all the rings I have cut an cut the others I haven't cut yet.. total of Dlux, 2 cut .300 rings, 2 cut .100 rings, an 2 .100 rings, vp, 2 .300 an 2 .100.... Trial an error..

Thanks Christian, I keep getting a little better with that dremel.. its my friend.
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2013, 03:30 AM   #222
Rock Crawler

Its Kewl man, u can always buy more haha. Kewl to experiment u learn more. Everything looks real good nice work.

Cars, boobies and bbq, that's what guys like.
OFFROADRCKOREA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #223
I wanna be Dave

Haha, no more buying knuckle weights! No more to go crazy on that way... Thanks I'm liking the way they turned out an with more adjustments to be made..

I'll get some pics tomm but some tires an some motors will be next update of things.. both are a little diff from the norm.. trial an error..
Old 01-08-2013, 12:15 AM   #224
Rock Crawler

Trial and error is what its all about! Lets see them pics!!

LIK
OFFROADRCKOREA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:22 AM   #225
Gold Star Baby!

That turned out titties yo!!!..... I was shocked when it I seen the main VP weight come in that damn heavy. I can see why you cut some off. I've always ran Erik's brass knucks on all my rigs, so now with this whole "less is more" craze catching more momentum when it comes to knucks; that's why I did the NCD holders, I have a ton of options with this setup...... I think I have a little less then an ounce an a half on each side and it seems to be the sweet spot for my rig thus far. I ordered the holders an 1 set of half rings that come pre tapped for 3mm. So...... Like everyone else, I have several D_lux rings laying around. I drilled the NCD half rings to match up with the current rings I have now..... prob the best idea I've had since I decided to stop producing kids.....

My thoughts on you fabricating your own set of weight holders out of CF is a bitchin idea....... If you decide to go that route, if you want I can make you a set of templates out of construction paper for the knuck holders..... However your modded brass knucks turned out awesome.

So.... if ya decide on taking me up on that offer just let me know. Hell I could do it with something as simple as a post card and just draw you a template and you could cut them out. In fact now I'm on the subject of templates... when I sold my Chaotic Special Chassis the guy who bought it asked for a template of my Switch cab. So I just drew it on the box I shipped the chassis in.
He ended up making the two work together quit well.
Either way.... LMK......

REDROKIN OUT!!!!!!!

Last edited by redrokin00XJ; 01-08-2013 at 01:42 AM.
redrokin00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #226
I wanna be Dave

Lmao.. I hear ya on the done reproducing kids idea, snip snip!

Yeah I'm happy with how the knuckle weights turned out, looks wise. Snow is bout melted off so testing will start back up shortly.. thanks for the templates offer, but.......

A little closer to finished on the knuckle then the round one on the box is just shy of tapping for the weight its self..

Anyways.... That's just a thought for it, the other step would be drilling an tapping the knuckle to screw the cf to the face of it an bolt the weights to it.. that's down the road tho..

As for some Switch-ing around, I have some things sitting here to get done..

Tires.. rodonas... For that outside consistent steering ppl talk bout an rovers inside for the best traction HB has to offer in a crawler tire.. some shaving will be done first tho of course..

Next in the line up is Dlux braces.. the two short ones are for the cab, the 4 long ones are the rest of my braces to be cut down an tapped on one end.. and I saved money that way... It was only 3$ for a long one to cut into two, instead of cutting each one of the 2$ ones down anyways.. hello 2.50$ savings! lol...

And motors.. I want to get to 35t HH pro motors from my 45t HH pro..

So as I had a 14t puller motor an talked to John, he said the 14t is the closest to a 35t with a touch more wheel speed, which isn't my goal.. but instead of a matched set of new motors, I picked up a second 14t for 30$... Sweet! If I like everything but the "start up" like I read bout, ill know what direction I want to go.. I also have a 16t puller so maybe ill find another one of those for testing as well.. in the long run, I believe they are a couple oz lighter per motor at that as well.. plus plus..

Last edited by winnerone23; 01-09-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #227
I wanna be Dave

Nothing major just got the Dlux spacers cut, tapped, an mounted..

Oh, a little dark.. take two

I'll get the roof ones mounted with a new panel..
Old 01-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #228
I wanna be Dave

Troy, Active ran pullers and they were jumpy on startup but had speed for days.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #229
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslick View Post
I ran them and had the same results.. I have told Troy many times but he doesn't listen
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:27 AM   #230
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslick View Post
Yeah, I ran actives bj with his 7-9t pullers on 3s.. lol.. lock the front axle in gravel an shoot a rooster a good 11'! It wasn't so bad.. sure didn't need much throttle.. bein 14t an dialing them in, I have heard decent feedback on the 14t's compared to the 7-10t's.. if not, no harm no foul... With the new 65-130c bats, the 45t's have really come alive! So ill see what happens..
Old 01-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #231
I wanna be Dave

Quick post of The vp knuckles I cut, modded for wraith knuckles...

The screw is for visibility.. it will be a set screw. It's angled down to hold pressure back an in.. ill prolly throw a washer on the stock screw heads for extra in pressure to hold them to the face of The knuckle then as well...

Now for the switch.. I found the vp an CW arms too long for my liking an the wraith arm too short or angled a diff way.. so I went in between an cut this out for testing..

Old 01-13-2013, 11:02 PM   #232
I wanna be Dave

Got out for some testing..

Well that lasted for all of.. 2 mins..

Found a broken wire at my rear motor..

So some wire from one bat an electrical tape from another..

Viola...

Well, that only lasted for a couple mins also.. bad day.. weird thing is, I crawled at my house for two days an no problems..

So I got home an did some trouble shooting.. here I had a loose-ish negative wire at my esc. So it lead to a whole mess of work leading to a good update..
Old 01-13-2013, 11:55 PM   #233
I wanna be Dave

Now for good update... All is back up an running an got some new stuff on the Switch..

Since I had to pull the servo to get to the Bec to pull my electronics, I made some parts.. a new arm, axle support, servo mount brace/spacer..

I also cut my RR battery mount some, bout 3 grams worth...

The spacer is only on one side with the vp link mount an a 7980..

I went with slowride on this one.. tho I tried it before, the rig was new an it didn't feel right at the time.. I went to the top set of holes in the rear an moved forward a hole with the front shocks, standing them up. I dropped some pre-load off the springs, it sat too high for me.. anywho.. it works! Side hilled better right off the bat.. its been raining for days an all the rock is wet, so not much testing, just a few packs..

I turned my lower a touch, it give clearance for the knobs an I noticed smoother turning farther into full lock..

I also tweaked my RR electronics mount.. from the side it is invisible, just floating electronics.. so I took this one a little low so it could be seen..

For the big/light touch I got the 14t HH pullers on with 13t pinions.. not a bad little motor an should save around 4oz, if need be ill jump down to the 11t pinions I have to smooth them up a touch but I have settings on my airtronics mt-4 to test out first.

Without the motor size I had to lay my Bec down flat so it wouldn't fall thru.

I had a worry bout catching on the rear axle but after running it, that went away.. yes I have motor savers in the mail..

I also sipped a few treads on my front tires to see if I wanted to do all of them. Any suggestions? Should I do all of them?

I finished up by wiring it all together with some micro deans..

It seemed like a lot of changes but the shock movement was good an with some adjustments the motors will work great, I think.. I did enjoy the snap of the wheel speed, the drag hold when digging, it was almost too much. I liked the little bit of give the 45t's gave.. but I can dial that with the motor mixing knob. They were a little touchy on start up but I felt that way before hand, when comparing it to running the xr off of my spektrum tx an how smooth start up is on all my other rigs.. so its not just the motors. If I like them over all, ill try an fun another 16t puller an go that direction.. I have to go to the.post office tomm, so ill have a rtr weight then.. hopefully some pics of crawling an testing info..
Old 01-14-2013, 12:04 AM   #234
I wanna be Dave

glad you liked the change. if you would turn that cab around it would work evan better lol.an yes cut the shit out of the tires . i dont think there is anywhere on mine that i didnt cut the hell out of lol
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #235
I wanna be Dave

i think the truck cycles better with the shocks layed back but it just works better with the stood up
Old 01-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #236
I wanna be Dave

Cab is perfectly how I like it...

It all does cycle better with the front back a hole. Like all of it, its give an take.. I'm goin to run it a bunch an see.. so far its working pretty good. Off to the bridge for real testing. A couple packs thru at home today again, so far so good..

Very good start up since I dialed back the throttle response on my tx.. the pullers are working smoothly.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #237
I wanna be Dave

good to hear man . i dont think you will ever put your shocks back again but you may
Old 01-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #238
I wanna be Dave

Got a few packs thru.. I like it! Also got to the post office, till I get a scale..

4lbs 5.90oz.. I double like!
Old 01-17-2013, 02:55 AM   #239
I wanna be Dave

Well, I got out hiking Tue an had a good time..

Now only if I had somewhere to go rock crawling! Hmmm... Think, think, think..

Then snow hit Tues night.. got home 10 am from the night shift of plowing an started shovelin the sidewalk an such an my daughter said "daddy can't rock crawl with snow on his rocks" ... What a wonderful daughter!

I also had some mail... Yay!

Love that CF! So after goin to work tonight an getting done early, around 2am, an a pot or so of coffee. I got to work.. at a little over 4 grams a piece.. 3 grams or so lighter then the Bwd motor savers.. I got this goin on..

Mmm, happy times!
Old 01-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #240
I wanna be Dave

Gawd.. You always have to be showing off don't you?

Jk man, those are looking good
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
big bores, fail, poop, rovers, shaved, switch, wieners

wanting a winner.. Xr-10 build thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wanting a winner... build thread winnerone23 Venom Creeper 628 03-25-2014 07:40 PM
wanting a winner... mrc build thread winnerone23 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 268 02-26-2014 06:17 AM
Dual Dingo build thread-My first build thread juswin24 Axial SCX-10 205 09-19-2013 12:42 PM
T-shirt winner(s) thread Cloak General Crawlers 23 08-14-2009 08:56 PM
wanting to build a clod PONYBOY87LX Tamiya Clod Buster 5 01-25-2008 11:52 AM