Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: wanting a winner.. Xr-10 build thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #161
RCC Addict

Default Re: wanting a winner.. Xr-10 build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post

Anyone know where to get button head hub screws for a vp hub? prefer black... Next post will have pics..
There a 4-40 screw. I probably have some yet from my LCC. I'll take a look.
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #162
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedtoRC1 View Post
There a 4-40 screw. I probably have some yet from my LCC. I'll take a look.
Awesome! Thanks Brian. With dlux spacers, I'm looking for .5" threads..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #163
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Anyone know where to get button head hub screws for a vp hub? prefer black... Next post will have pics..
Somethin like this?

4-40 x 3/8 Button Head Cap Screws 18-8 Stainless Black Oxide
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #164
I wanna be Dave

ya there 440 an you can get them about any wheres if you want steel
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:41 PM   #165
I wanna be Dave

Here goes the fun.. since on topic, ill stay with the dlux wheels.. I got them, barely/lightly used, dlux D-cut CF wheels, 1/4" spacers to put them close to a slw offset, before the hub. Showed up with 7/8" spacers an came with 1" spacers. Or close enough.. well I'm use to the slw's an like the width.. not to mention, the wheel stuck closer into the rig. So I looked at the dlux fab site an figured 5/8" spacers is what I wanted, to Get close to the slw width.
So ill cut the 1" spacers down an go.. hahahahahaha... How to cut 24 spacers all the same! Hmm.. well, out came my handy vise.. an with a little fab work in mind, came up with this..

The teeth just happen to be 5/8" tall so I went with it! Didn't turn out so bad, I would say.

Compared to the slw at .88" the dlux came out to .92" at the inner beadlock..

Now just to get hub screws an mount tires. A little insure if I want to mount the rovers on them an keep them for spares, since I do like my slw's or to run them on the Bc's an use the slw's for the rovers?

Got some back up shocks today.. they even hold oil! Then again, they were never ran...lol

Now for the best/fun part.... New stuff!

Wait, what.. what's that? Yeah, that's what that is!

New rear lowers from Marc at chaotic! Oh man, are they sweet!
You can see were there higher.. every where! Other then right at the main bend up top, but not by enough to matter, the "wall" is gone.

It's even higher at the bend by the motor.. there's those dlux wheels, see ev, I'm using them..

You can see from this pic compared to the last one, how's the new links are higher at the low bend..

All mounted... That tire is 3.96" tall! It's just balanced there under the links.. I am at 2.90" at the front of my skid, 3.15" at the back an good clearance to my back tires..
Ok, ill get out tomm an do some testing on some spots I have gotten hung up on before an see if any tweaking needs done to the links.. chaotic has been amazing to deal with, to work with, etc.. thanks Marc, for the links an ur time to hand bend them!

Forgot to add my new balance point.. I added the 7980 up front an took off half a .300 ring of each side. It moved my balance point back maybe an 1/8". Now I'm only out in front of the link mounting point 1/4"..

Last edited by winnerone23; 11-13-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:44 PM   #166
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittman View Post
Something like that, but 1/2" Christian! LOL.. thanks guys. I'll have to give fastenal a call tomm..
Old 11-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #167
I wanna be Dave

Good job on the spacers man

And the links look good. Now that I can actually see detaill.. they look even better
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #168
I wanna be Dave

I was hoping those showed up for you today

Im Glad you like them. They look perfect now that I see them all mounted up.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on them.
I'm glad I didn't get any higher clearance than what I did because they look perfect.
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #169
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Crawlers View Post
I was hoping those showed up for you today

Im Glad you like them. They look perfect now that I see them all mounted up.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on them.
I'm glad I didn't get any higher clearance than what I did because they look perfect.

They do look sweet on there! After moving them in an out an rotating my uppers back an forth.. I got the right twists an angles of everything, an the uppers, lowers, an chassis all working together. The uppers rotate on the balls down when the chassis squats in dig, up when the lower links come in contact with them. The lowers rotate in while at full articulation while when crawling, they rotate up for max clearance.. its not a lot of movement, just from the link balls. It just all works together...
I actually think my full range of articulation an shock/link cycle is smoother from start to finish from what it was.
Off to crawl an get pics for a better review on performance.

Thanks Christian.. both wheels done.. off to find hub screws..
Old 11-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #170
E.Y. Designs

Ahh nice you decided to use the wheels for a crawler stand Instead of getting rock rash you'll get workbench rash LOL.... Those new links look amazing! Marc did an awesome job on them
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #171
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, the dlux wheels will last longer on the bench then on the rig! LOL...

The links are awesome! I only got to hit my home course with them today, but didn't have one hang up, not from the links anyways.. Marc did an awesome job on them! I can't wait to get them out to the main crawl spot for some real testing an rock rash!

Got my button head 4-40 hub screws ordered today an will be in at fastenal tomm! So the dlux wheels are coming off the work bench for this weekend.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #172
I wanna be Dave

links look sweet man

rig is looking really sweet an im sure you will love it
Old 11-14-2012, 11:51 PM   #173
I wanna be Dave

Thanks slowride...

Too late, love has been in the air from day two! A month ago.. every time I get something new it just adds too it.. haven changed anything yet I didn't like bout it! Well, I wast too found of the front shocks stood up taller..

With the new lower rear links, I'm even thinking bout jumping to the top row with my rear shocks.. or forward a hole.. trial an error..
Old 11-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #174
I wanna be Dave

do both the stand the front up a hole as well
Old 11-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #175
I wanna be Dave

I tried the front shock stood up a hole.. it took away from the feel an handling for me.. maybe once I change the rear, the front would be diff?

Got the rig on a scale today.. rtr 4lbs 14oz... A little heavier then I thought. It was goin to be.. ill drop a couple oz tonight. I got the hub screws for my dlux wheels today, less then 5$! Then ill drop the other half of the .300 ring an test some more.. I'm not trying for lite weight, if it works best where it is, ill go back to it. Performance is more important then what it weighs, to me.. that an looks! Hahahahahaha..

Looks much better with the button head hub screws..

Last edited by winnerone23; 11-15-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #176
I wanna be Dave

it will feel diff when you do it all

you will be down around 4.7 4.8
this is where it start costing money an getting very creative to get that 4.5 an under
Old 11-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #177
Rock Crawler

Those links look great man. My last set i bent up, i put a curved bend also.
I have mine at 4lb 8oz now with not a whole lot of effort and works really well .
losiking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #178
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys.. yeah weight isn't a concern.. I just put it all together an like the way its working, so I got a weight on it. Capability is my goal.. I was sick of crawling with a shafty in the pro class so started this build.. don't get it wrong, I enjoyed the outcome an ppl's opinions changing from start of day when they would laugh, "oh, a shafty.. haha" then by end of day, nothing bad to say.. with a creeper none the less.. full on Rmdw.. so this is a huge step up an has been killer! The best driver can't win pro class with a shafty.. why should I try.. lol..

I have some CF parts to make an some weight to take off the knuckles once I change the wheels.. anything past that, I'm good on..lol.. I'm not spending more on it to lessen the weight..
Old 11-16-2012, 07:14 AM   #179
RCC Addict

Quote:
I tried the front shock stood up a hole.. it took away from the feel an handling for me.. maybe once I change the rear, the front would be diff?

Got the rig on a scale today.. rtr 4lbs 14oz... A little heavier then I thought. It was goin to be.. ill drop a couple oz tonight. I got the hub screws for my dlux wheels today, less then 5$! Then ill drop the other half of the .300 ring an test some more.. I'm not trying for lite weight, if it works best where it is, ill go back to it. Performance is more important then what it weighs, to me.. that an looks! Hahahahahaha..

Looks much better with the button head hub screws..
Looks good man and smart call on the chasing weight comment. Drive it where you're comfortable at, not some "magic" number.
paystin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #180
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Paystin.. I just don't get the money an time into feather weight..

With that, I lost 3oz in my wheel change... Rtr 4lbs 11oz. I changed to the dlux wheels, D-cut.. I also had a proline memory foam wrapping the closed cell inner of a CI 5.5" dd foam. It worked great when it was warmer out! Wasn't as soft as the soft outer an not as stiff as the med.. now I'm with the soft outer up front an med in the rear. Tho I may Switch that around cause of how lite the rear is. Throw the soft in the rear an the harder med up front.. test an tune.. next ill throw the 5.25" with a med outer up front.. anywho...
The rig is working great, the new lower rears haven't caught on anything that I have noticed a hang up out of, that an they give room for a much smoother suspension cycle. They don't rub upper an lower links together towards full articulation...

I'll get some nicer pics in the sun at the crawl spot when I get there, hopefully later..

Tags
big bores, fail, poop, rovers, shaved, switch, wieners

wanting a winner.. Xr-10 build thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wanting a winner... build thread winnerone23 Venom Creeper 628 03-25-2014 07:40 PM
wanting a winner... mrc build thread winnerone23 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 268 02-26-2014 06:17 AM
Dual Dingo build thread-My first build thread juswin24 Axial SCX-10 205 09-19-2013 12:42 PM
T-shirt winner(s) thread Cloak General Crawlers 23 08-14-2009 08:56 PM
wanting to build a clod PONYBOY87LX Tamiya Clod Buster 5 01-25-2008 11:52 AM