LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #701

Default Re: Adopt a newbie todaayy!!!

Thank you, yes local area posts don't rep apparently
iPhone pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2012, 01:28 AM   #702
RCC Addict

Location: somewhere near Los Angeles...or a city looking thingy.

That's what I thought. I need to find out which parts of the forum don't count towards post's and post up a list.
OTHGbronco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #703

Well, my son and I are ready to be adopted ....

We are totally new to RC's. Picked up decent used SCX10 and put an Early Bronco body he wanted on it.

Need help figuring out the right way to charge the nimh battery. We're having difficulty figuring out why it charges really good sometimes and not so much other times. Done lots of searching, and have gotten some answers, just not enough to make it all make sense

Also looking at possible motor, shocks and tire upgrades. But now we need bumpers, as the bumpers that came with it and expedition body don't really fit the EB body.

Ryan & Brandon
ryans71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:10 AM   #704

I'm a noob to crawling. Been reading a lot on here and learning a lot. Watching a lot of vids and talking to a few guys on here has helped out. Still have a lot to learn though. Actually read this post and thought the same as others.........what's a berg? I'm starting out as all noobs with a stock lcc that I got to learn on and play around with. Hopefully one day I'll be able to step up and build a nicer rig. Any ideas help or criticisms would be greatly appreciated.
klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #705

He guys I'm a noob! Ordered my first crawler a couple days ago and can't wait for it arrive. Just want to say thanks for all the help and knowledge I know you guys will be able to give!
DoubleCab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #706
Quarry Creeper

Any body in east texas around hawkins tyler area that wants to adopt a newbie
mark32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:59 AM   #707

Cool, sounds like just what i need,
1,I WANT ENROUTE V3, Me likes
2,I AM VERY OUT OF DATE, last r/c Optima Mid (very old)
3,I LIKE THE LOOK OF THE NOVAK M2 W/DIG, Looks Simples
3,WHAT LiPo FOR NON COMP MESSING AROUND, 2 or 3s What Mah & what C,
I was thinking 1300 Mah 3s 25c, is this what i should be looking at??

Please help a Newbie
BritAbrord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #708

Talking Re: Adopt a newbie todaayy!!!

Hi all, I guess I'm up for being 'adopted' as such.
The mrs and I decided to go our different ways so some of my RC gear got sold off to pay bills. Now that I am living by myself, I thought I might use some of the left over funds to purchase a scaler. They way I look at it is that it's something I can tinker with and drive after work in the comfort of my home . I figure I can make some terrain on plates of mdf to put around the lounge room and play on them in conjunction with random obsticals thrown down from around the house.

I figure ill start with a SCX10 kit, I have a JR 8915 servo, m11x radio gear etc. I was thinking of putting an tekin RS pro I have stashed away in it and buying a tekin 25.5t sensored brushless motor in it. I may sort a different speedie and motor later if I decide to run it in water.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated
Mauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #709

I am a crawler newb and just getting into the hobby, just need some advice on a good starter rig something around the $300 mark rtr'ish. This is an amazing forum, I am glad I made it here. Green star bought btw :P
xwingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #710
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryans71 View Post
Well, my son and I are ready to be adopted ....

We are totally new to RC's. Picked up decent used SCX10 and put an Early Bronco body he wanted on it.

Need help figuring out the right way to charge the nimh battery. We're having difficulty figuring out why it charges really good sometimes and not so much other times. Done lots of searching, and have gotten some answers, just not enough to make it all make sense

Also looking at possible motor, shocks and tire upgrades. But now we need bumpers, as the bumpers that came with it and expedition body don't really fit the EB body.

Ryan & Brandon
Which charger do you have? Basic rules of NIMH: They dont have memory, so you can re-peak them regardless of their power level. (No need to discharge) Charge them at a 1C rate or less, which would be 3.2amps for a 3200mah, 4 amps for a 4000, 5.3 amps for a 5300, etc...

There are lots of bumpers available for SCX10's- Axial, RC4wd and vrious vendors here on RCC make options.

Have fun!
rbgerrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #711
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by klown View Post
I'm a noob to crawling. Been reading a lot on here and learning a lot. Watching a lot of vids and talking to a few guys on here has helped out. Still have a lot to learn though. Actually read this post and thought the same as others.........what's a berg? I'm starting out as all noobs with a stock lcc that I got to learn on and play around with. Hopefully one day I'll be able to step up and build a nicer rig. Any ideas help or criticisms would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome! A Berg is a brand of crawler that uses MOA (motor on axle) axles. The axle is popular under high-level comp trucks, similar to an XR10 axle. The LCC is a good way to start, it has terrific suspension geometry and is a great technical crawler, it just doesnt get tons of run time due to the worm gears and it can be hard on motors.

Have fun!
Old 03-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #712
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleCab View Post
He guys I'm a noob! Ordered my first crawler a couple days ago and can't wait for it arrive. Just want to say thanks for all the help and knowledge I know you guys will be able to give!
Welcome to the club!
Old 03-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #713
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritAbrord View Post
Cool, sounds like just what i need,
1,I WANT ENROUTE V3, Me likes
2,I AM VERY OUT OF DATE, last r/c Optima Mid (very old)
3,I LIKE THE LOOK OF THE NOVAK M2 W/DIG, Looks Simples
3,WHAT LiPo FOR NON COMP MESSING AROUND, 2 or 3s What Mah & what C,
I was thinking 1300 Mah 3s 25c, is this what i should be looking at??

Please help a Newbie
The M2 is a good and relatively inexpensive way to get dual motor control. I'd go 3S, it'll be faster, have more power. The 1300 25c should be fine.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #714
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauve View Post
Hi all, I guess I'm up for being 'adopted' as such.
The mrs and I decided to go our different ways so some of my RC gear got sold off to pay bills. Now that I am living by myself, I thought I might use some of the left over funds to purchase a scaler. They way I look at it is that it's something I can tinker with and drive after work in the comfort of my home . I figure I can make some terrain on plates of mdf to put around the lounge room and play on them in conjunction with random obsticals thrown down from around the house.

I figure ill start with a SCX10 kit, I have a JR 8915 servo, m11x radio gear etc. I was thinking of putting an tekin RS pro I have stashed away in it and buying a tekin 25.5t sensored brushless motor in it. I may sort a different speedie and motor later if I decide to run it in water.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated
Sounds like you have a good plan, and some good equipment. I've enjoyed running a 17.5 in my SCX10's, which you could think about if you want more speed. That plus 3S is quite fun!
Old 03-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #715
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwingman View Post
I am a crawler newb and just getting into the hobby, just need some advice on a good starter rig something around the $300 mark rtr'ish. This is an amazing forum, I am glad I made it here. Green star bought btw :P
If you want new, think about whether you want something scale, or just a general crawler. If the latter, the Axial Ridgecrest can be had for $299, and you'll be out the door for $350 with a decent battery and charger. SCX10's are usually in the $350 range RTR, but if you are willing to get something used, you'll save quite a bit of cash and could end up with a good starter for $300. Check out craigslist, ebay and the forums on this site.

Have fun!
Old 03-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #716

Question Re: Adopt a newbie todaayy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbgerrish View Post
The M2 is a good and relatively inexpensive way to get dual motor control. I'd go 3S, it'll be faster, have more power. The 1300 25c should be fine.
Ok cool. and thank you. Change of plan on the ESC front. Two HH BR-XL's is the order of the day with two Brood Creep motors.
The cost of this build is adding up fast. Lol
With a chassis Berg v1 kit @ $270 this build could run me a $1000.
What pinion do you think I should run?
Old 03-24-2013, 11:45 PM   #717
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritAbrord View Post
Ok cool. and thank you. Change of plan on the ESC front. Two HH BR-XL's is the order of the day with two Brood Creep motors.
The cost of this build is adding up fast. Lol
With a chassis Berg v1 kit @ $270 this build could run me a $1000.
What pinion do you think I should run?
It's pretty easy to spend $1k on any Rc car.

I dont know what people are running for pinions in Bergs- I'd go browse the Berg section to see. Have fun!
Old 03-25-2013, 04:46 AM   #718

I will prob bump up two teeth from stock and run two 14's as I can mix power on the radio.
Thanks again.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #719

Default Adopt a newbie todaayy!!!

I'm really interested in doing a scratch build buggy. My plan is to follow the build drawing that Harley has posted on his web page. It's an Ibex buggy made with solid rod and mig welded. If anyone is interested I could use a "go to guy" to help me with any hiccups that I may encounter. I am open to any tips or advice that you may have too. I've been into RC for a long time, but I'm still a noob when it comes to crawlers.

So if you are interested hit me up with a PM.

Thanks

-Rob

iPhone w/ Tapatalk2
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #720
Quarry Creeper

I could use abit of advice. I've not played with RC cars for 15 -20 years ( when I was a kid and camping ) well we just got a new seasonal site at a campground and I feel like I NEED an RC car again. the rock crawlers caught my eye as most of the time playing will be offroad, chances are kids will be driving it (speed kills in the hand of kids, I don't remember how many times my little sister hit a tree at full speed as a kid and my dad had to have the car fixed) and the campground in named boulder woods, they literally have to grind down boulders to make areas big enough to park the trailers. we have a site on the outside of the campground and the woods out the back is nothing but logs and boulders.

I've come to find these things are expensive and before I put out that kind of money I'd like some advice from people not trying to talk me into buying something. the local hobby shop has a losi nightcrawler for 299, I'd have to buy a battery and a charger ontop of that so after taxes your talking 400-450. it looks really nice and like it would be alot of fun. they can order me in a losi mini crawler for around 240 which is much closer to my price range. as the cars they have in stock are very limited I figured I'd look for a forum to chat on. any advice? recommendations on what to look into? I'm also worried about these might be alittle to slow, I dont need anything that goes 30mph but faster then I walk/run might be nice.

EDIT: been pokin round here most of the day. looked into the mini crawler FAQ and pictures, seams you can easily fix my biggest problem with the looks of it (I'm OCD sometimes), the body sitting so high above the wheels. seen pictures of the easy mod (4 new holes) and the car looks much better. read that it would be possible to make it alittle faster with a motor swap in the future, leanin twards the losi mini crawler now, just hoppin for some advice on what else may be in that class / price range

Last edited by Gravebane525; 04-23-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Gravebane525 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axial, berg, help noob, whats a dig?, whats clod stall?