Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #2341

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

Who you are? Matt (JUST LIKE THE DUDE ABOVE!
What kind of rig you have? eRevo, Losi SCTE 2.0, ProSC 4x4, 18T, Micro-SCT
Where you live? I Da HO

Thinking of getting me a decent scaler/crawler, Ive joined the masses and came here to see what its all about (besides lots of money and shiny metal parts)
Mirkinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2017, 03:38 PM   #2342

Hey do I'm on tapatalk and I can't seem to customize much profile like i have been on other forums. As a matter of fact, my profile incorrectly displays that I'm from Alaska when I clicked mn during the registration. Anyone?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk
JPx187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:47 AM   #2343

Another newb, from Austin, Tx. Been lurking for a while but finally joined up. Started with a Yeti 380 in December and it's all downhill from there. Exo in January, Wraith in Feb, and a SCX10.2 this week. Think I might have been bit by the bug, not sure...

Bought the Yeti RTR from a LHS. Bunch of metal goodies now with stock electronics. She crawls, jumps, trails, and submarines now.

Picked up the wraith used and did a complete overhaul on it. Had stripped spur, pinion, and a cheapo 2 pole brushess combo. It's brushed now.

Exo was another used one and didn't need much aside from new bearings and paint. Did a full rebuild on it though and upgraded to a 3400KV 4 pole, thing flies now. Probably my favorite of the group - took a dive into a lake right before the pic below.

10.2 was bought used too and came with a "quick and dirty" paint job. Stripped and repainted silver. Flat foams from shipping but aside from that RTR with Holmes ESC and 35T motor. Thing is a crawlzilla, even stock, compared to the wraith.

All of them except the 10.2 have a bunch of action vids. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxt...rmgnMAGvrWMfhw

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AqyPW6PbKB7Dhrp-K4D3qQ1ZWPRUyQ
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AqyPW6PbKB7DhrpJODOf1DmXHAoCUg
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AqyPW6PbKB7DhrpcghPXSLlH0FBihQ
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AqyPW6PbKB7DhsIIK4gThZqqIGy2zQ
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AqyPW6PbKB7DhsIJnvyvFFFEkXWQNw

Last edited by 11EBSCREW; 04-12-2017 at 09:49 AM.
11EBSCREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:08 PM   #2344

Hello. Just another newbie here. I live in the real northern California: Redding.

I currently have a couple of e-revos and a Losi lst2e that I love to take out back in the pasture and bash around.

But I'm looking at getting a crawler and I have no idea what to get and that's why I'm here -- to get some (OK a lot) of ideas and advice!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
66gt350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:41 PM   #2345

Hey I don't know if you guys are still active but I just bought my first rc,
It's a tamiya cc01 fj cruiser body.
I should be receiving it tuesday the only thing that I'm concerned about is the led light control unit(tlu-02). The one I ordered doesn't come with one and the one they have for Sale is about $90. Is there any cheaper alternative?

andygperez88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 04:39 PM   #2346
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gt350 View Post
Hello. Just another newbie here. I live in the real northern California: Redding.

I currently have a couple of e-revos and a Losi lst2e that I love to take out back in the pasture and bash around.

But I'm looking at getting a crawler and I have no idea what to get and that's why I'm here -- to get some (OK a lot) of ideas and advice!

Vaterra ascender kit all the way, comes with the parts for 3 different wheelbases, quality and preformance out of the box is excellent. Just my 2 cents. ;)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Chris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 04:41 PM   #2347
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygperez88 View Post
Hey I don't know if you guys are still active but I just bought my first rc,
It's a tamiya cc01 fj cruiser body.
I should be receiving it tuesday the only thing that I'm concerned about is the led light control unit(tlu-02). The one I ordered doesn't come with one and the one they have for Sale is about $90. Is there any cheaper alternative?

You can get light kits on ebay for around $10.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:31 PM   #2348

Another newbie here, and a very real newbie, not just here on rccrawler.com, but newbie at crawlers too. I bought my first crawler yesterday, tried it this morning for the very first time, and had a blast!

I'm 45 y.o. and live up north in Quebec. I just registered here on rccrawler dot com to learn more about this crawler thing and tchatt with you guys
Legweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:08 PM   #2349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris81 View Post
Vaterra ascender kit all the way, comes with the parts for 3 different wheelbases, quality and preformance out of the box is excellent. Just my 2 cents. ;)

Thanks for for the info. After watching one video on them, can you run normal sized 2s batteries in them or do they require short batteries?

66gt350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:27 AM   #2350

Ascenders require a shorty unless you reposition the battery. Honestly though for a casual, I'm getting upwards of 3 hours crawl time on a shorty 4000mah 2s lipo. I just picked up a 10.2 on Saturday for my s.o. and I'm blown away at the spare parts trees.

JPx187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:41 PM   #2351
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPx187 View Post
Ascenders require a shorty unless you reposition the battery. Honestly though for a casual, I'm getting upwards of 3 hours crawl time on a shorty 4000mah 2s lipo. I just picked up a 10.2 on Saturday for my s.o. and I'm blown away at the spare parts trees.

X2 plus, The battery tray configuration is great too, keeps the weight really low.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:34 PM   #2352

Hello everybody....new to the RC world. Always wanted to own one and my wife bought me my first real RC at a local shop for our anniversary. Love going to the track or just hitting jumps I made at home. Looking forward to getting ideas and checking out the rigs here.

Mike
(1) 2wd Traxxas Slash (Upgraded)
(1) Tamiya FF-01 roller
(1) Tamiya FF-01 complete RTR
Yuma, AZ

* if anybody has an FF-01 or similar, I would like to speak to you (PM please)
vxgasattakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:02 AM   #2353

Newbie here from Fortlauderdale started out with my son and daughter in January and so far love the hobby we have a couple of Stampedes Rustler and two scale trucks I'm currently working on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1980K30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #2354

Post #1

Hey everyone
Just joined and looking for a little advice.

I'm thinking of getting something along the lines of the Axial SCX10 II (kit, not RTR) BUT.......... as the kit still seems to require a some extras to get it up & running along with some things I'd want to change (body, wheels/tires etc) it got me thinking of just building something from scratch. Is there any kind of checklist floating around to have a list of parts to build from scratch? I don't mean brands & models of each item just a list of items. I'm not looking to spend thousands or get a top of the line everything, just as good/better than stock with the bits I want.
Hope that makes sense.

Also, Any events or stuff going on in the Westerville, Worthington, Columbus, Delaware Ohio area? (I did already check the Ohio section but not much there)

Thanks for any input, feel free to post on here or message me etc.

Last edited by THX_138; 05-06-2017 at 08:43 PM.
MrBret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:58 AM   #2355

Also a newbie and bought my first rc last month. No crawler yet but I did get a Team Associated SC28 short course mini truck. It's really fun and a quick little truck. It's really for indoors though so I am now looking at crawlers since I am close to retirement age and want to get into more off road activities while walking the local trails and parks. This forum looks really helpful.
rawk crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:37 PM   #2356

Hello everyone ! Edwin here long time lurker awesome site great information. I've been on rctech mk3ginstergolf for a while and finally decided to sign up here recently. Been into rc's for years now everything from on road 1/10 to 1/5 off road. Current stable of cars include
1. scx10 modified
2. scx10ii wife's truck stock
3. rc4wd tf2 lwb
4. scx10 g speed chassis
5. yokomo drb drift car currently rwd conversion
6. war pig custom chassis in the works wife won at the uste expo in march.
Located in orlando fl anyone's close by hit me up to crawl. Thanks for looking.
Subieboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:13 PM   #2357

Are there any good dust covers for a tamiya cc01? I like getting the body dirty, not so much the inside of the tray or the things that make it run...

andygperez88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:01 AM   #2358

Hi guys,

I'm Eric from Snoqualmie, WA. I picked up my first RC a couple months ago, an Axial Bomber RTR, and it's been a blast! This site has been a great resource so far and looking forward to learning much more
xEDGEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:19 PM   #2359
Rock Stacker

Greetings crawlers,

I am new here and wanted to say Hi! I live in London, UK. I have only just started with the hobby and I am having a great time. I bought Axial Wraith a few days ago and I have been messing about in a nearby forest and around the garden.

I look forward to learning and improving and obviously pimping up of the truck.

I wondered if there is anyone local to me on the forum. I live in HA4 and I would be super keen to meet and come for crawl with someone else.

Quick question on top of it. I remember using a Loctite on my RC helicopter when I used ti fly it. I have purple, green and red available. I am about to rebuild and oil the shocks as they all leaked. The lower fixing is a machine screw to a nut or metal to metal. Should I use a Loctite there and what strength would you recommend?

Cheers
kohout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:48 PM   #2360

Hey, I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, I'm in my 50's and just bought a lightly used SCX10 II RTR. Once upon a time I ran a Tamiya Audi Quattro (yep, that's old) that I mostly bombed around out in the woods way too fast, so I got used to replacing a-arms and repairing the body. A lot.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to running this crawler a bit more slowly in the ravine around the corner...and not having to buy so many a-arms...
Toasted is offline   Reply With Quote