Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: SORCCA rules comments, suggestions, and questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #161
www.team3sixrc.com

Default Re: 2012 SORCCA scale rules

Just for the record as this has happened about every year now. I certainly hope your asking if this truck qualifies because your actually going to be attending and not just asking to stir the pot.

By no means am I on the rules committee. And certainly not an expert in the rules and their definitions.
My guess is that Tim was unaware that this is an actual representation of a real 1:1 truck.
In my honest opinion, if the truck fits then you must acquit.

As listed in the rules below, this is all you need to do to fit this truck in a class 3. If any of the rules for the truck to fit don't fit, then either alter your truck to fit or the truck will not qualify.

Class-3 “Modified” Details:
• 146mm / 5.75" max tire size with a 2.2 max rim size (including spare).
• A bumper is not required, but to be counted for points it must be mounted to the vehicle's chassis and wider than the the chassis rails (chassis cross rails do not count as bumpers).
• Gates will be a minimum of 13" wide.
• All bodies (including tubers) must measure a minimum of five inches wide from front to rear of door, measure a minimum of 4.5 inches tall as measured from the skid to the tallest point on the body (including light bars), and must be at least as long as the vehicle's wheelbase.
• Body modifications including, but not limited to, pinched front, dove-tailing and boat-siding are permitted as long as the final dimensions comply with the minimum size rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post

This is the Class-3 Campbell picture that should have been posted:

Juan, The Reason I didn't post that truck is that was not the truck that the scale version was modelled after that is what is being discussed about.

Last edited by team3six; 01-30-2012 at 08:58 PM.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #162
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post

Juan, The Reason I didn't post that truck is that was not the truck that the scale version was modelled after that is what is being discussed about.
My point is that the truck in question does not fit the description of class 3 which is a TTC/KOH truck. If the truck in question matched the Campbell picture I posted, then I would have no problem with it running.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #163
Rock Crawler

i didnt mean to start a war, was discussing this with my local club to see if i could run in class 3. with a few mods i will be able to run it as long as i add a light bar to add some height and minimal sized stingers/bumper to the chassis to extend over the axles. thanx for the help tho
marzzz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #164
I wanna be Dave

Sure looks like the axles are under the chassis to me..

Or at least damn close.. Not like the buggy that was posted with axles far from under the vehicle..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #165
www.team3sixrc.com

I believe that version of the Campbell buggy was run in 2007 by Tim Taylor before the first KOH.
It wasnt until Shannon won the 2008 with a new improved version of that truck.

If I am correct, the best RC version for the 2007 I ever seen of that truck was built by Siggy.

But never the less I got your point. and honestly I dont see any reason to keep it from Class 3 if the wheels meet the specs. and the width meet specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
My point is that the truck in question does not fit the description of class 3 which is a TTC/KOH truck. If the truck in question matched the Campbell picture I posted, then I would have no problem with it running.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:57 PM   #166
Suck it up!

You people are funny.

Not every "scale" rig built is legal.

If it was legal a few years ago it may not be now.

If you didn't know that when you bought it, well then that sucks for you.

Charge a battery up and go have fun with it anyway.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #167
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post

That was my point exactly. It's a scale looking truck...there just isn't a class for it this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
But never the less I got your point. and honestly I dont see any reason to keep it from Class 3 if the wheels meet the specs. and the width meet specs.
I understand your point as well. If it fits within the rules, then it's legal. I'd just hate to see Class 3 turn into rock racers when I think we all know that wasn't the intent.

I think Tim needs more yellow words for the 2013 set of rules

Last edited by C*H*U*D; 01-30-2012 at 10:04 PM.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:14 PM   #168
RCC Addict

the rules say class 1 bumpers may be molded into the body. then in the points section it says they must be chassis mounted, separate from the body.

does that mean that bumpers are required to be in class1, and body molded bumpers qualify, but do not receive any scale points because they are not chassis mounted?
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #169
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinie_21 View Post
the rules say class 1 bumpers may be molded into the body. then in the points section it says they must be chassis mounted, separate from the body.

does that mean that bumpers are required to be in class1, and body molded bumpers qualify, but do not receive any scale points because they are not chassis mounted?
Yes thats correct..
Old 01-31-2012, 01:58 AM   #170
MODERHATER™

Every picture shown of a 1:1 Campbell that has been shown, the axles sit within the chassis.

So if I built a rig that was similar but had the axles sticking out obviously past where the base model is.......It should be ok, because it is scale, kind of based off the 1:1 with exceptions, like the axles are not within the chassis?

Come on now...
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:31 AM   #171
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Don't care what the "rules" say.

If it resembles the 1:1 used for reference, then it's a "scale" representation.

Again, common sense seems to have "left the building".

I'm done. You guys have at it.
You always have to draw a line or scale will go the way of the comp rigs from 5 years ago. How about we just let anyone compete with anything that they can conjure up in their mind. I'm sure that if you can imagine it, it's been built somewhere...therefore it's scale! Also, don't tease me by saying that your done arguing. We all know that's not possible
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:29 AM   #172
Rock Crawler

Quote:
You people are funny.

If it was legal a few years ago it may not be now.

If you didn't know that when you bought it, well then that sucks for you.

Charge a battery up and go have fun with it anyway.
if thats directed at me, I didn't buy it and that is why I was asking a few questions....but way to chime in...thanx
marzzz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #173

l think l understand lol ! this would have been been post #30 if not for the crash damm the bad luck haha !
busted Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:39 PM   #174
Oppan Gangnam Style

in regard to class 2, flatbed must be same width as cab the whole length. just want to be clear, this means 90* rear corners or can we radius them? If so, how much? Thanks
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:38 AM   #175
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
in regard to class 2, flatbed must be same width as cab the whole length. just want to be clear, this means 90* rear corners or can we radius them? If so, how much? Thanks
Better keep them at 90* to be safe, Dean.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:21 PM   #176
Oppan Gangnam Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post

O.K. so you can dovetail a tube bed but not a flat bed? What if it has rear fenders that taper in at the rear?

So after reading the rules several times as well as this thread: Flatbed Rules, I'm still confused on this issue as the wording isn't really clear to me in regards to a true flat bed so please bear with me on this. I don't want to make a tube bed due to weight issues and the fact that I'd have to order more tube. This will be a C2 rig and I'm not by any means trying to skirt the rules, just need clarification.

What I have going is this:

Option A

My Unimog build has the rear edge of tires past the frame rail (I comply with the frame length/wheelbase rules). However, if I make a flatbed to the end of the frame rails, it will have to be narrower than the cab at the rear tires but won't get wider at the rear due to the fact that it will end before the rear edge of the tire. By adding rear fenders (attached to the flatbed floor) I can keep it the same width but they won't end at the same height of the rest of the flat bed (they will be higher).

Option B

I will probably go this route to be safe but....

I'm making a box style bed (cab width) for this which will somewhat resemble the original Unimog bed. It may or may not have a tailgate. Just want to make sure it will fly before I get too far.

Thanks for your patience!
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:14 AM   #177
I wanna be Dave

I cant see how Option B could not fly.. that is the stock style bed for that truck, its modded but nothing says you cant modify the bed for any class. And if some one tries to be stingy with the scale points saying its not a flatbed, then I would take drop bed on it since you are custom building the bed and looks to be dropped to me

As for option A that second part of the flat bed rule should have been dropped for class 2 it doesn't make sense, but I dont think it really came up either.. Personally If I was given shit about a bobbed flat bed in class 2 and told I was not getting points I would unbolt it and run bedless
Old 02-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #178
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
So, by this logic, a Honcho is not legal? Quite confusing with all the different type beds.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #179
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE View Post
So, by this logic, a Honcho is not legal? Quite confusing with all the different type beds.
I was wondering about that too...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #180
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
O.K. so you can dovetail a tube bed but not a flat bed? What if it has rear fenders that taper in at the rear?

So after reading the rules several times as well as this thread: Flatbed Rules, I'm still confused on this issue as the wording isn't really clear to me in regards to a true flat bed so please bear with me on this. I don't want to make a tube bed due to weight issues and the fact that I'd have to order more tube. This will be a C2 rig and I'm not by any means trying to skirt the rules, just need clarification.

What I have going is this:

Option A

My Unimog build has the rear edge of tires past the frame rail (I comply with the frame length/wheelbase rules). However, if I make a flatbed to the end of the frame rails, it will have to be narrower than the cab at the rear tires but won't get wider at the rear due to the fact that it will end before the rear edge of the tire. By adding rear fenders (attached to the flatbed floor) I can keep it the same width but they won't end at the same height of the rest of the flat bed (they will be higher).

Option B

I will probably go this route to be safe but....

I'm making a box style bed (cab width) for this which will somewhat resemble the original Unimog bed. It may or may not have a tailgate. Just want to make sure it will fly before I get too far.

Thanks for your patience!
Dean, you will be fine with either of those beds. The "width of the cab" rule is really here so that guys don't zip tie on a 3" by 10" piece of balsa wood and call it a flat bed. I'd give points to either of those beds you have in mind at the Northwest Scale Championship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE View Post
Quote:
I was wondering about that too...
A Honcho bed is a tube bed guys.

This would be an example of a full width flatbed:

Last edited by War Pig; 02-14-2012 at 05:43 PM.

SORCCA rules comments, suggestions, and questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comments, Suggestions and Questions. Rockpiledriver RCP Crawlers 755 05-01-2015 04:01 PM
2012 SORCCA rules in effect! War Pig Scale Nationals 16 03-19-2012 10:53 AM
2012 SORCCA Scale Rules War Pig Scale Comp Rules 2 01-01-2012 10:48 PM
Am I on the right track? Comments and Suggestions needed. Kingofthehill Tamiya TLT Crawlers 4 02-22-2007 12:34 AM