Notices

Thread: 3d printer for rc parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2019, 10:53 AM   #941
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteroFlego View Post
It's more important to have thick walls than it is to have high infill. Check this out : https://youtu.be/1NzDr1YAb8Q

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting that, was trying to figure that out last week but I'm still a bit timid with changing settings.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2019, 11:39 AM   #942
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Thanks for posting that, was trying to figure that out last week but I'm still a bit timid with changing settings.

Trick, print 20x20 cubes when changing up. If you are dialed in already that is quicker than that benchy.
I number my cubes to remember my changes and file name

Infill can change, but sturdy walls and top and bottom are critical for strength as noted .

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:25 PM   #943
Quarry Creeper

3 hours in and this bumper looks amazing so far! 60% infill and a 4 layer shell to start. Can't wait to mount this! PETG is printing better for me than PLA, but I really haven't played much with the settings.

This is with the Monoprice Voxel, which is a rebranded Flashforge Adventurer 3. My previous 3d printer was not enclosed and my results were never consistent. Bed adhesion with this printer has been a non-issue.
BashNSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:17 AM   #944
Rock Crawler

Does anyone have a file for a link lift bracket they could share?
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:21 PM   #945

One thing I haven't gotten into is bridging large gaps without supports. This new design is 112mm high x 39mm wide (not including standoffs) x 39mm deep.

It kinda printed OK the first time. See the "Old design/print" photo below. The standoffs were kinda frayed, but still, surprisingly, usable. Filament is Hatchbox PETG.

Any tips to printing this more reliably without supports?

New design:

Old design/print:

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 04-10-2019 at 03:40 PM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:40 PM   #946
Rock Crawler

Is there a reason that you aren't laying the 112mm section down flat? It's hard to tell, but the build plate looks big enough.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:59 PM   #947
I wanna be Dave

I've had decent luck bridging fairly large gaps but I think its mostly due to the Slic3r PE software. When it detects bridging it will allow for a fairly large bridge without supports.

If you do end up needing to use supports you can change the supports angle to 45, I've found that helpful so your print isnt layed down in the same direction as the support which can leave the print unsupported between the support rows.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:27 PM   #948
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
Is there a reason that you aren't laying the 112mm section down flat? It's hard to tell, but the build plate looks big enough.
Was wondering this, too. Will it fit?

Last edited by JeepinOR; 04-10-2019 at 10:29 PM.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:44 AM   #949
Rock Stacker

Maybe doing this way to have the sides. assuming it's purpose is box like. will be strong. Printing on it's bottom would make weaker.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
vwdaveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #950

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
The model is slightly larger than the build plate which forces me to print in this orientation.

Quote:
I've had decent luck bridging fairly large gaps but I think its mostly due to the Slic3r PE software. When it detects bridging it will allow for a fairly large bridge without supports.

If you do end up needing to use supports you can change the supports angle to 45, I've found that helpful so your print isnt layed down in the same direction as the support which can leave the print unsupported between the support rows.
I'm using Cura. I've tried Slic3r and found it to be less than intuitive, but that was a while ago.

Lots of people boast about Simplify 3D being the best, especially for supports, but it's $149!
Old 04-20-2019, 12:44 AM   #951
I wanna be Dave

can you print it at a 45° angle on the x axis and apply supports manually to the standoffs and bottom few mm of the build for stability.
or rotate it 45° on the z axes and 90° on the x axes so it lays corner to corner, might fit.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:04 AM   #952
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashNSlash View Post
You guys are awesome! Thanks for the tips!!

The bumper I'm trying to print now is for my SCX10, which is a crazy light rig compared to my TRX-4. I may not have to make it bullet proof, but I'll be experimenting for sure!
I know its older post but if i want to add moar strength on larger prints I usualy bump up the number of outer layers more instead of adding more infill.

I print all my structural parts out of petg as well, my 3d printed 32 ford chassis was printed with 30% infill but 9 top layers and 9 bottom layers this made the bottom essentially 100% infill, but all the taller structures still had 30% infill, and the perimiter layers was set to 8, this made the upper link mounts basicaly 100% infill.

Its not the fat parts that break its the smaller details that don't hold up in most prints. so you only need to make the walls fat enough to fill in those smaller areas.
Attached Images

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 04-20-2019 at 01:07 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:17 AM   #953
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I went with the Prusa I3 MK3 and I've been extremely pleased with it. Its really dialed in if you just want to get started quick and avoid having to troubleshoot. I feel like the extra cost is worth it for the support from the company, being able to cope with power outages, running out of filament, bump detection, it also can detect skipped steps and layer shifting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I didn't realize it had all those features. How does it cope with power outages?

Can it reliably pause and resume print without issues?
If you already have a printer you like and like to mess with things you can buy a new mother board for your 3d printer that adds all those features in.

Personally I want to buy myself a wifi duet main board to all that and dual extruders to my Anet A8. I wan to try printing petg with 0 layer gap pla supports. There is a youtube video of a guy who printed a perfect sphere using this technique.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:40 AM   #954
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
I know its older post but if i want to add moar strength on larger prints I usualy bump up the number of outer layers more instead of adding more infill.

I print all my structural parts out of petg as well, my 3d printed 32 ford chassis was printed with 30% infill but 9 top layers and 9 bottom layers this made the bottom essentially 100% infill, but all the taller structures still had 30% infill, and the perimiter layers was set to 8, this made the upper link mounts basicaly 100% infill.

Its not the fat parts that break its the smaller details that don't hold up in most prints. so you only need to make the walls fat enough to fill in those smaller areas.
This is good info. I have been bumping up my layer values, but never over 4. I'm going to have to try 9
BashNSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:13 PM   #955
Rock Crawler

I finally grabbed one up to mess around with too. So far it’s been fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tgh117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:53 PM   #956
Rock Crawler

I’m working on a micro project at the moment. Messing with the leafs to figure out what parameters will make them at least sort of load supporting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tgh117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:33 PM   #957
I wanna be Dave

I would first print the springs at 0.42mm thick, then add helper springs as nessary. If that's too thin double it. Just because a single extrusion is 0.42mm. But I have never tried printing leafs myself.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:48 AM   #958

Quote:
can you print it at a 45° angle on the x axis and apply supports manually to the standoffs and bottom few mm of the build for stability.
or rotate it 45° on the z axes and 90° on the x axes so it lays corner to corner, might fit.
I tried fitting it at 45° and it didn't fit on the bed.

Quote:

The software in the screenshot attachment...is the Slic3r?
Old 04-25-2019, 09:30 AM   #959
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

The software in the screenshot attachment...is the Slic3r?
Yes, it's Simplify3D.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:35 AM   #960

Hi all,

would someone be willing to print me some wheels ? I have 1/10 General Lee project I'm workign on and want the vector wheels for it. I am happy to pay for your time and materials.

Let me know

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2765747/files
kevman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

3d printer for rc parts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can your printer do this? CREEPERBOB Chit Chat 19 10-14-2011 07:33 PM
Are you a printer in OH or know someone who is? Phatmac Ohio 5 02-20-2009 02:14 PM