Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Die-Laughing's Class2 Ultra4 Jeep!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #161
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Die-Laughing's Class2 Ultra4 Jeep!

I have nothing to add, just posting to subscribe. Awesome job so far, I really enjoyed reading the 1:1 build before KOH this last year, and so far your work is just as top notch!
Ramination is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #162
RCC Addict

Today I just spent putting everything back together to make sure it was all going to work together nicely. I marked a few spots that I'm going to hit with the grinder to clearance some things for better fitment but, nothing major.

I did some thinking & figuring.. some head scratching.. planning. It's close.. There are still a few things to figure out but, it's close.

Here are a few pictures of it 95% assembled...

Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #163
RCC Addict

It need some more suspension tuning now that its got all that weight in it.. this is a heavy rig.. I'll have to weigh it sometime.

I can't wait until its a little more "finished". I mean, chassis in paint, body in paint, running & driving... that's gonna be fun.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #164
I wanna be Dave

Love it Rick!
chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #165
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicklet View Post
Love it Rick!
X2
Rok Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #166
Scale Detail Engineering

outstanding.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #167
RCC Addict

OMG
kaneohecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #168
Quarry Creeper

paint ? it looks good as is cant wait to see those tires get dirty..
bronc4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #169
I wanna be Dave

Looks Sexy Mate - I can't see it weighting more than 10lbs.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:21 AM   #170
I wanna be Dave

This is a sweet rig. Very nice work. I'm sure I missed it somewhere but what's the wheelbase?
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #171
RCC Addict

Thanks guys! I think the wheelbase is right around 12" but, I'll double check that later.

I did some planning tonight and it looks like I'm going to have to run dual 1300mah batteries in parallel. I don't like changing batteries so, why not run 2 of them at once! It's about all I can fit where I want them to be.. I'm just glad I'm able to fit two of them and not just one 1300mah battery.

I'm working on figuring out my electronics box as well.. damn wires! so many damn wires! I like fabricating & machining metal.. I hate wires!
Old 07-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #172
RCC Addict

time to talk electronics boxes..

This was my original idea.. to have my stuff slide into this aluminum box on a piece of styrene.. then I could slide it in & out for service. This box would sit behind the seats under a little "rear firewall" panel I made. But, then this would make me have to run two small 1300mah batteries in parallel...

I changed my mind and I'm getting rid of that aluminum box. I want to run a larger battery. at least 3300mah and full length which I can fit where that aluminum box was intended to go.
anyways.. I switched it up to a small plastic box I can fit under the floor board of the interior..

I made a lid for the box out of styrene.. I think I'm just going to rtv around where the wires are sticking out and then electrical tape around the edges of the lid so I can remove that for service when need be.

installed on the box..

My electronics are waterproof anyways so, the box is just another precautionary measure. I don't think it really looks that good but, it fits where it's supposed to and it also acts as a platform for my seats to rest on.

Here is the box in the vehicle. also, you can see the 3300mah battery behind the "rear firewall" panel I made. obviously.. you don't see any of this when the door is on.

I don't know.. I guess its just crap that has to be done.. it's a bit fugly but, it'll all be covered up. I'm kind of trying to have this truck ready for a shake down run in 2 days so, we'll see.

I also mounted a pair of axle shafts under the spare tire for some scale points..

you can see them from either side with the spare mounted. pretty cool & easy little mod.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #173
RCC Addict

Now my tech question.. I never had led lights that weren't powered by a 9v battery. So, now that I have a couple led light bars that operate in 11.1v, how should I power them?

You can see in the pictures above on the passenger side floor there is a little 1300mah 3s battery that acts as my seat holder upper on that side..
I was thinking about powering the lights separate on a 1300mah 3s battery because I have room for it and it serves another purpose. I have micro deans for the lights.. Should I just "Y" both my lights into one big deans and then simply plug them into the 1300mah to turn them on & off? It sounds simple, is it that simple?
or should I ditch that idea and make something else for my seat holder upper and run them off the BEC or RX?
Old 07-18-2013, 10:38 PM   #174
I wanna be Dave

If no one comes up with an easy answer for ya - I will bug my local wiring guru this weekend when I see him.
I personally like the on off switch so they aren't always running but I don't see an issue with either option. But I am better at routing wires then remembering the dos and don'ts of power ratings and such.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #175
RCC Addict

Your spare tire, is that a new vp rim design? Looks yellow. Great job on the build so far!
Maddog Madigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #176
I wanna be Dave

I'm looking at everything and it looks great except the lipo???

It looks like the inner cell is puffed? It may just be the picture, but beware!

I had a lipo fire recently and all I can say is it was an absolutely eye opening experience. The lipo turned into a blow torch and almost burnt the rig to the ground. My quick actions saved the day with limited damage, but if it was burried in my truck like yours is mounted, it would have been a total loss. I've heard of guys running slightly puffed packs and having no issues, but I certainly won't take chances any more. I hope I'm being paranoid on your behalf, but until you see a lipo fire first hand, you can't appreciate how volatile lipos can be if they aren't respected. In my case, a brand new lipo...20c and a big draw motor. One rip on a test run down the sidewalk and bam! Blowtorch!
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:35 AM   #177
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog Madigan View Post
Your spare tire, is that a new vp rim design? Looks yellow. Great job on the build so far!
Thanks. Those are just some cosmetic inserts I made to fit over the face of an OMF to try to be a little different. The spare insert is made out of brass, thats why it looks yellowish.

The other inserts are aluminum and those are the wheels i'm running that you can see in previous pics..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
I'm looking at everything and it looks great except the lipo??? It looks like the inner cell is puffed?
Yeah, it very well might be. I have that battery marked "junk" but, I keep it in my lipo safe for mock up / test purposes. I try not to use a pack if it even remotely has something wrong with it. Thanks for the heads up though.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #178
Rock Crawler

OH shiznit...I just noticed those wheels....defenitley different. They look fk'n sweet. Good job on the creativety
z71baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #179
Quarry Creeper

Its get hard to read this with such a throbbing erection!!
racin707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #180
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin707 View Post
Its get hard to read this with such a throbbing erection!!

Hahaha nice

Die-Laughing's Class2 Ultra4 Jeep! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Die-Laughing's 2.2 Sledge Hammer!! Die-Laughing 2.2 Scale Rigs 50 06-29-2013 12:52 PM
Die-Laughing's Jeep YJ Hardtop... Die-Laughing 1.5 Scale Rigs 33 02-06-2013 07:23 PM
Die-Laughing's Monster Truck.. Die-Laughing Axial Wraith 16 02-06-2013 06:27 PM
Die-Laughing's BadAss FJ Die-Laughing 1.9 Scale Rigs 89 09-28-2012 01:59 PM
Die-Laughing's Wrecktuber Die-Laughing 2.2 Scale Rigs 78 02-26-2012 09:54 PM